Bomb attack in Yala kills at least two and injures many others

Lite Beer

SOUTH CRISIS
Bomb attack in Yala kills at least two and injures many others
The Nation

30239487-02_big.jpg

YALA: -- A car bomb explosion rocked busy Betong district of Yala province in broad daylight, killing at least two and wounding many others on Friday.

The bomb went off in front of Holiday Hill Hotel in the downtown of this border district at about 5pm. The area was crowded with tourists and local residents shopping for food to eat after fasting.

Initial report said that at least a man and a woman were killed in the attack. Police said attackers concealed about 30 kilogrammes of explosives in a white Mazda which used fake licence plate.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Bomb-attack-in-Yala-kills-at-least-two-and-injures-30239487.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-25

When ...??? When.....??? will the Thais do something to stop this ....?? It is ridiculous at this point ! And the reports of dead and or wounded people almost daily is now like a Soap Opera that everybody is watching... I'm surprised that there is no betting schemes going on as to how many people will be blown up ....let's say tomorrow or the day after ....This is so insane !!

• Like 1

Insane. I hate the constancy of these stories from the south. And there are so many similar actions that have kept the vicious cycle alive for years. Bombings and shootings. Then suffocation of suspects in a truck (I forget how many men who died in that event - but it was a lot) and other punitive military responses. The same insane cycle as we have seen Ireland. Israel. Iraq.

I have hope that the new approach of the NCOP may help. They are military, but have been more canny than the politicians in trying to open negotiations with insurgents / terrorists or whatever you prefer to call them. Getting Islamic foreign ministers on side and using them to pressure the (whatevers). Not rattling sabres and inciting hatred, but trying to calm the waters and arrive at a peaceful solution. I wish them luck. It won't be easy given the century old history of this issue.

Deadly car bomb hits Betong
The Nation

x30239539-01_big.jpg.pagespeed.ic.OIfsBC

Thick smoke covers buildings following a car bomb outside the Holiday Hill Hotel in Yala

YALA: -- 'Most peaceful town in far South' targeted, as pick-up explodes near hotel; two killed, three seriously hurt

A car bomb exploded in Betong district in Yala yesterday evening, killing at least two people and wounding 34 others, three of them seriously.

The explosion also set nearby buildings on fire and caused major property damage.

Areas near the Holiday Hill Betong hotel, where the pick-up with the bomb was parked, were sealed off by security officials, who were still looking for more explosives possibly hidden nearby at press time yesterday.

The two killed were identified as Pennapa Tunhor, 23, and Decha Daliyoh, a man of unknown age.

Attacks were also carried out earlier yesterday in Pattani and Narathiwat. The

latter was allegedly the work of insurgents, but motives for the Pattani attack were not known. The attacks included the gunning down of a villager at around 2am yesterday in Pattani and a roadside bomb in Narathiwat that killed one member of an Army paramilitary ranger team on foot patrol and wounded three others.

National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha had called on state officials to keep a close eye on the situation, military spokesman Colonel Banphot Phoolphian said.

The attack in Betong was a surprise as it has been one of the most peaceful cities in the far South, bustling with visitors and Chinese business people. It is believed that the attackers were exploiting the transfer of the security chief, he said.

Colonel Pramote Phrom-in, another military spokesman, said Prayuth had directly ordered Fourth Army Region commander Lt-General Valit Rojanapakdee to heighten security in the area by setting up more roadblocks and keeping a close eye out for "suspicious" vehicles.

Explosives Ordnance Disposal personnel said a white Mazda pick-up truck with a fake Betong licence plate was stuffed with 30kg of explosives, but Yala governor Dejrat Suebsiri said it was a Toyota Vigo.

Earlier yesterday, in Pattani's Nong Chik district, a man was ambushed by several men while on his way to his wife's home. The attackers fired two shots at him including one to the head. Police are investigating to see whether the killing was done by insurgents.

In Narathiwat, a roadside bomb was detonated targeting a 12-man squad on foot patrol, killing one and wounding three others seriously. EOD personnel said later that 5kg of explosive packed in a metal box was detonated via mobile phone signals.

The chairman of the Yala chamber of commerce, Nopphong Theeraworn, said Betong was a popular destination for Malaysians as the city was considered the safest in the far South.

In 2006, insurgents simultaneously bombed 22 banks in Yala in five districts including six in Betong.

Source: http://www.nationmul...g-30239539.html

xnationlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.BfgaY1OWGm.
-- The Nation 2014-07-26

Insane. I hate the constancy of these stories from the south. And there are so many similar actions that have kept the vicious cycle alive for years. Bombings and shootings. Then suffocation of suspects in a truck (I forget how many men who died in that event - but it was a lot) and other punitive military responses. The same insane cycle as we have seen Ireland. Israel. Iraq.

I have hope that the new approach of the NCOP may help. They are military, but have been more canny than the politicians in trying to open negotiations with insurgents / terrorists or whatever you prefer to call them. Getting Islamic foreign ministers on side and using them to pressure the (whatevers). Not rattling sabres and inciting hatred, but trying to calm the waters and arrive at a peaceful solution. I wish them luck. It won't be easy given the century old history of this issue.

Don't hold your breath on the Military solving this conflict.....it's been a region for over a decade where no-one from Thailand really wants to go on a full frontal attempt to stop the violence.....

The officials continue to appear to hope it all just goes away.......

There may be more to this than generally reported (now there's a surprise). This area is reputedly rife with sex trade for cross-border customers and some (much?) of the violence may be between rival gangs fighting for control. If this was really just an insurgency campaign, why no bombs in Phuket, Pattaya or Bangkok?

Two killed, 40 injured in Yala car bomb attack

14063434585585-640x390x1.jpg

YALA, July 26 -- Two people were killed and at least 40 were injured in a car bomb attack at a hotel in Betong district of the southernmost province of Yala on Friday.

This was the first such attack in the district in eight years.

The explosion was occured in front of the Holiday Hill Hotel on Phakdeedamrong Road at around 4.30pm on Friday.

According to bomb experts, the 50 kilogram me device was hidden in a pick-up truck parked in front of the hotel. The blast was triggered via mobile phone signal.

At least two people were killed and at least 40 people--including foreigners--were wounded in the bomb attack, and of them five were seriously wounded.

Witnesses say they saw the bomber drive the pick-up truck to park at the hotel. The police were combing through CCTV footages to find clues.

In 2006, insurgent groups bombed 11 locations in Betong district, where banks were mostly targeted. Many people were injured from that attack. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-07-26

This is the sort of thing the NCPO should be concentrating on and not the trivial things like free movie tickets and splashing out on parties. It is obvious that a party on the streets of Bangkok is not cheering up the rest of the country.

The very inspirational live report by General Prayuth on television last night suggests that the NCPO is investing a lot into trying to reduce, if not stop, the violence in the south.

Senior NCPO ( I think it may have been the General himself) met with the Foreign Ministers from the Islamic Council of Nations recently, and appears to have gained some support from them. The General is a canny old fox, and a sincere human being. Cut from a different cloth than the recent bunch of career pollies. If any political leader has the potential to make a difference in the south, it's him.

BTW, from watching General Prayuth's report I now understand why all of my Thai friends and acquaintances are happy that the NCPO is in charge. Prayuth does inspire confidence. It was great that his TV appearance used English subtitles, as I would otherwise have no idea of how good this guy is.

• Like 1

What a shame!

And we thought that if we allow them to demonstrate in front of Israeli Embassy they will show some mercy.

Perhaps a consultation with IDF might be in order?

Isn't it high time our top brains start defending Thai people? Instead of worrying about political correctness...

• Like 1

This is the sort of thing the NCPO should be concentrating on and not the trivial things like free movie tickets and splashing out on parties. It is obvious that a party on the streets of Bangkok is not cheering up the rest of the country.

The very inspirational live report by General Prayuth on television last night suggests that the NCPO is investing a lot into trying to reduce, if not stop, the violence in the south.

Senior NCPO ( I think it may have been the General himself) met with the Foreign Ministers from the Islamic Council of Nations recently, and appears to have gained some support from them. The General is a canny old fox, and a sincere human being. Cut from a different cloth than the recent bunch of career pollies. If any political leader has the potential to make a difference in the south, it's him.

BTW, from watching General Prayuth's report I now understand why all of my Thai friends and acquaintances are happy that the NCPO is in charge. Prayuth does inspire confidence. It was great that his TV appearance used English subtitles, as I would otherwise have no idea of how good this guy is.

Time will show. I hope you're right but I don't have as much confidence as you.

When ...??? When.....??? will the Thais do something to stop this ....?? It is ridiculous at this point ! And the reports of dead and or wounded people almost daily is now like a Soap Opera that everybody is watching... I'm surprised that there is no betting schemes going on as to how many people will be blown up ....let's say tomorrow or the day after ....This is so insane !!

"The Thais" will do something when it becomes more profitable for the army to stop the violence than to encourage the violence. But "the Thais" are pretty much powerless as it's an army profit centre and entirely up to the army when to "do something" to stop it. General Sarit and his current army group in charge have already taken some steps and announced further measures to encourage and to continue the violence.

There may be more to this than generally reported (now there's a surprise). This area is reputedly rife with sex trade for cross-border customers and some (much?) of the violence may be between rival gangs fighting for control. If this was really just an insurgency campaign, why no bombs in Phuket, Pattaya or Bangkok?

Because the insurgents have no claim on Phuket, Pattaya and Bangkok, which were not part of the Malay sultanate placed under Thai control more than 100 years ago. If you are going to comment, I urge you to read up on the deep South and its troubles a bit. It may not make sense to you otherwise. The anti-government people there have been doing it for 60 years and they have rhyme and reason for what they do, no matter what you may think about it.

*Comment of a derogatory nature has been deleted*

Edited by Scott

I pray for peace in South Thailand

I can not believe this is cause by Israel the Zionist of the Rothchild's

What is the reason for this terrible killing?

Edited by harryfrompattaya

Thank you I feel better now

ISOC denounces Betong bombing extreme and inhumane act

7-26-2014-1-23-01-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

YALA: -- The fourth region Internal Security Operation Command (ISOC) today denounced Muslim insurgents for committing extreme and inhumane acts against innocent people in the Betong bombing which killed two persons, and injured 42 others.

Spokesman of the fourth region ISOC Col Promote Prom-in said the extreme and inhumane act against innocent people during the Ramadan festival was unacceptable.

He called on human rights groups, all organisations, religious leaders and the people to denounce this terrorist act against the innocent, and against the private and state properties.

They (terrorists) should stop propagating what they assumed is their fight for the people and for ideology as it has been proved that what they fought for throughout the past 10 years was for their own benefits as all victims were innocent people.

He said the Betong bombing killed two persons, and injured 42 others, six seriously.

Fifteen are still in Betong hospital, and two in Yala hospital. The rest were allowed to go home after primary treatment.

The spokesman said the insurgents used a Mazda pickup truck they hijacked from its owner in Nong Chik district of Pattani on June 1 in the attack.

They drove the truck with the homemade bomb and parked it in front of the hotel and left in a passenger van hijacked from its owner in Yala on the same day to escape.

He said surveillance cameras in the area showed three insurgents boarded the van after parking the carbomb truck at the hotel.

He said Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha, the chief of the National Council for Peace and Order, has ordered the forward command of the ISOC to remedy all the bombing victims immediately and take care of all the injured

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/isoc-denounces-betong-bombing-extreme-inhumane-act/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=isoc-denounces-betong-bombing-extreme-inhumane-act

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-07-26

• Like 1

The local Muslims claim this area as theirs, "The Sultanate of Patani", but long time before they showed up in this area it was the Buddhist Srivijayan Empire (8th to 12th centuries) The Thai government should not listen to this narrow minded group of people, if they can't live together with other people that are not Muslims, than they should give them a one-way ticket to Iran and tell them that they are not welcome back, a soft approach here will never work.

• Like 2

The local Muslims claim this area as theirs, "The Sultanate of Patani", but long time before they showed up in this area it was the Buddhist Srivijayan Empire (8th to 12th centuries) The Thai government should not listen to this narrow minded group of people, if they can't live together with other people that are not Muslims, than they should give them a one-way ticket to Iran and tell them that they are not welcome back, a soft approach here will never work.

Looking at situations around the world, one does think on these lines. The Buddhists with their philosophy of compassion do not show the characteristics of intolerance. The very reason other religions coexist in Thailand is the compassionate and tolerating nature of the Buddhists.

"Because the insurgents have no claim on Phuket, Pattaya and Bangkok, which were not part of the Malay sultanate placed under Thai control more than 100 years ago. If you are going to comment, I urge you to read up on the deep South and its troubles a bit. It may not make sense to you otherwise. The anti-government people there have been doing it for 60 years and they have rhyme and reason for what they do, no matter what you may think about it".

Wandasloan, since when do terrorists only bomb places on which they have a claim? Did the IRA have any claims on the UK mainland? Who was claiming the discotheques in Bali? Did Al Queda have a claim to the World Trade Center. I think it is you that needs to do more reading so you might understand terrorist tactics.

October 25 will most probably be the next reminder for the current government.

There is no government. There is martial law and the country ruled by the Military, that is not a government or a leadership that has been accepted by the international community.

October 25 will most probably be the next reminder for the current government.

There is no government. There is martial law and the country ruled by the Military, that is not a government or a leadership that has been accepted by the international community.

A government is defined as "the governing body of a nation, state, or community". I believe a military junta qualifies. Whether it has been accepted by the international community is irrelevant. Like it or not it is governing the country.

• Like 1