Farang price, Thai price. What's going on?

Cuddlycat

I took my husband to A Night Bazaar yesterday. I realize that some of the vendors asked for a bit too much but it does not surprise me wheh it comes to tourist spot. What funny is wheh we asked for the price for scarf as I want to get it for my mother. The vendor told me that if I but will be this much and Farang will be that much. Of course mt husband will be more than happy to pay for it. Bit once he opened his wallet, she said if he bought it it will be Farang price.

I told her what we are. I paid Thai price. I am not sure what I feel about this matter. I am not mad but kinda confuse. I was in Salsalito, SF in 2005 and the price for souvenir will be the same for tourist or local. Perhaps because of the price is not fixed here.

Just wonder what you guys think.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you have about ten times the income of the saleslady. You can afford it. Live with it (up to a point of course). You haven't been in Thailand very long, have you?

First, I am Thai. Second, I am not bitching. It's kinda funny for me that if I take a money from my wallet it will be one price but from his will be other.

Normally if I took my husband for shopping and he asked what I think about the price, I always tell him that it's fine and if he really like it just take it (if they did not ask for a fortune)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 2

The dual pricing thing is mostly just in the tourist markets and of course places such as national parks and temples requiring an admission fee. For the former, there's not much that can be done except to be aware and to haggle. For the latter, a Thai drivers license works wonders in getting the better price, you're husband may wish to get one - drivers license office is in Hang Dong.

• Like 2

Don't shop in the night bazaar if you are looking for a bargain. My experience when I first arrived and tried to haggle the price down was that the vendor became angry and certainly wasn't interested in selling for a reasonable price.

• Like 2

Ok you are Thai, that escaped me, sorry. I lived in a tourist area of Switzerland. We locals didn't pay full price for transport, entry to museums etc. This was because if you take a subscription for reductions, it has to be for one year.

I have occasionally lurked in the background while my wife negotiates a price, The only place here where I have had to pay 'Farang price' has been virtually everywhere in Pattaya and the elephant park near Lampang.

I  think the reasoning behind which wallet the money comes out of is that they assume that you don't live in a household with joint, shared, income.

The dual pricing thing is mostly just in the tourist markets and of course places such as national parks and temples requiring an admission fee. For the former, there's not much that can be done except to be aware and to haggle. For the latter, a Thai drivers license works wonders in getting the better price, you're husband may wish to get one - drivers license office is in Hang Dong.

We've got one in Bangkok just two days before we get here. Thanks for suggestion ^_^

Go for the 5 year licence,  not the one year probation license they give to tourists. 

Your Thai and this is new to you. Where did you grow up?

I grown up here. If you read carefully I said "it's funny that if I take a money out from my pocket is one price and from his is others"

There were time he paid more than he should. I did not say anything to make him loose his face. If he was happy with the price he paid is good enough for me.

I also understand about tourist spots. I worked as a tourist guide in a past. It just never happened "in my face". She is not rude. Actually everyone are nice there. It's just kinda awkward, That's all.

Few days ago one couple stopped by in front of my house as my dog that we are adopted is kinda popular :-p. He is from Holland and telling us about how Thais try to talk Thai wives to let their husband pay more to them. For example, the taxi driver will take them around and expect his wife to say nothing or asking his wife to let him pay more than he should when they go shopping. I try to look back and can't think about any of that ever happened to me but only the taxi driver in Bangkok refuse to used meter.

• Like 2

Ok you are Thai, that escaped me, sorry. I lived in a tourist area of Switzerland. We locals didn't pay full price for transport, entry to museums etc. This was because if you take a subscription for reductions, it has to be for one year.
I have occasionally lurked in the background while my wife negotiates a price, The only place here where I have had to pay 'Farang price' has been virtually everywhere in Pattaya and the elephant park near Lampang.
I think the reasoning behind which wallet the money comes out of is that they assume that you don't live in a household with joint, shared, income.

I don't control my husband's financial. He will give me money to buy food or whenever he feels like it. But when we go out or shopping or eat out, he will pay for that.

I dislike to be a control freak. Each family have their own way, I guess ^_^

My Thai wife has drawn criticism many times in markets all around Thailand. She negotiates the price, people say that I can afford to pay more, she says we are not rich and that it is our money not just mine. That usually ends the discussion, she is not shy.

My wife has the same experience. And my wife is not shy.

• Like 1

I made one of the posts that were deleted.    Apparently, suggesting this OP was posting this to elicit a response was a little much.   If I'm incorrect, I am truly sorry.    

That being said, if you are referring to me as an idiot member in which you are starting a war, I invite you to PM me and we can take care of this very quickly.    If I am not who you refer to, my apologies. 

And for the very last time on this point, I know the OP quite well, the lady is going through a difficult time where her mother is seriously ill and her new husband is adjusting to life in Thailand and all that entails - you all need to cut her some slack and enough of the idiot comments, for the benefit of the two idiot members who persist on this point, war begins here unless you cease.

For years in Australia there has been a two price policy at some popular beach side suburbs. The locals pay nothing for parking while the blow - ins pay a fee. The reasoning is that that the locals have already contributed for the facilities through their rates. The same could be said in Thailand of parks and other places where admission is charged. Thais pay less because they pay the taxes that support these paces. Seem fair enough to me.

As for buying in general, I seem to do better than my wife when it comes to bartering. I want to pay a fair price and not screw the last satang out of the vendor so keep that in mind. But when my wife is with me she seems reluctant to bargain. Shopping by herself she is proud of her skills in negotiating.

I know an older german who met and married his thai wife in germany some years ago.

They stay in CM for 3 months each winter and were negotiating in their first week here for a suite at a large hotel here. He doesnt speak thai so as the negotiation hadn't gone as far as he expected he turned to his wife to continue the discussion in thai.

The thai manager then asked his wife why she was helping this farang to get a better deal as she should be helping the hotel- he apparently assumed they had only just met...

She drew herself up to her full height (not very tall!) and said 'What are you suggesting- he is my husband?'

Poor guy was so embarrassed he gave them the deal they were seeking!

But I can understand why this happens in the markets etc. Thai incomes are way below those in the West and other farang countries, so often (not always I guess) a few hundred baht means far more to a thai than to a farang.

Same thing happens in other poor countries (eg South America) where locals perceive that if you can afford the air fare, you can afford to pay more than a local.

But I still dont feel sorry for the Chilean who mugged me, emptied my pocket and made off at high speed, running across 5 lanes of traffic, with a used tissue and local street map.

I think the reasoning behind which wallet the money comes out of is that they assume that you don't live in a household with joint, shared, income.

I don't control my husband's financial. He will give me money to buy food or whenever he feels like it. But when we go out or shopping or eat out, he will pay for that.

Sorry my post came over badly. My wife is in exactly the same position as you. I have seen a couple ask the price for something and get told 600-. The Thai lady said nothing and they didn't buy. We went up and got the same article for 450.-. My wife says 'how much for me?'. We did the same thing in the night bazaar. Bargaining here is not at all like in north Africa .

I made one of the posts that were deleted.    Apparently, suggesting this OP was posting this to elicit a response was a little much.   If I'm incorrect, I am truly sorry.    

That being said, if you are referring to me as an idiot member in which you are starting a war, I invite you to PM me and we can take care of this very quickly.    If I am not who you refer to, my apologies. 

And for the very last time on this point, I know the OP quite well, the lady is going through a difficult time where her mother is seriously ill and her new husband is adjusting to life in Thailand and all that entails - you all need to cut her some slack and enough of the idiot comments, for the benefit of the two idiot members who persist on this point, war begins here unless you cease.

PM sent

Look at what the state universities do in America....residents pay 1/3 of what non-residents pay.  Standard procedure.  The county parks charge entrance fees to non residents.  The Night Bazaar is a different animal.  You tell them what you want to pay and start walking.  The vendors there do not really represent a cross section of Chiang Mai.  Although there are a few local artists selling their wares.  Same goes for hotels....last two times I went to the beach in low season; I called the shots.  I'm sure as heck not an ATM.  I've had a few unpleasant encounters with the vendors at the market at Canal/Suthep.  They really hate to be caught red-handed.  They think we are unable to calculate total prices, at times.  Some of them are very shady with the way they use their scales.  Some of them are charging more than Tesco is in the adjacent building, which is there choice, just buyer beware.  I was approached by a woman at the same market one afternoon.  She spoke pretty good tour guide English.  She approached me and said "Thai market not the same as Europe market, eh?"  I said, I'm American, and no it's not the same.  I pay 7 THB per KG of oranges in America, and you all are charging 70 THB per KG here.  I didn't even talk about the rats...but she was speechless, lol.

Sorry my post came over badly. My wife is in exactly the same position as you. I have seen a couple ask the price for something and get told 600-. The Thai lady said nothing and they didn't buy. We went up and got the same article for 450.-. My wife says 'how much for me?'. We did the same thing in the night bazaar. Bargaining here is not at all like in north Africa .

It's not that bad. I just remember reading someone said in Thaivisa that if a couple eat out and the man pays, they are BF and GF. But if the woman pays they are couple. That's not my case. My husband loves to but my stuffs. I have to tell him to stop. It's our 11th day in Chiangmai. We have plenty if time to shop. It's nonsense to spend money on jewelry or cloth you have no idea when you are going to wear. I am a country girl now. All I wear are shorts and T Shirt. We know nobody here but our landlord. It's hard to tell who you can trust when you just move to new city.

By the way, @night bazaar we asked the price. If we felt that it's not reasonable we both say thank you or we will think about it and walk away. Most of the time they offer an acceptable price do everyone are happy.