Is Thailand The Best Place To Retire Or Pristine Singapore?

I was wondering, as I sat reading Thaivisa and sipping on a rather good malt Scotch whiskey, why am I here in Thailand verses pristine Singapore? After ruling out stores and whores I was still not sure why. Then a rat in a hat bigger than a cat ran past my foot, (I jumped and shouted a few choice expletives... Okay, maybe more than a few) and across the foot of the Thai lady sitting with me and she didn't flinch. Then a cock roach, you know the kind, big enough to strap a saddle on and ride, ran onto her shoe and instead of killing it she brushed it off. Then it hit me. It's Buddhist Thai people and their kindness, "kid playful" ways friendliness, their strange beliefs and their unique ability make you calm and comfortable. "Sabai Sabai" Thais are unique and unlike any nationality I have ever met and I have been everywhere in Asia including pristine Singapore.
  • Like 1

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a disposable income of $20,000 a month then Singapore is a good place to base yourself. You can have the best of both worlds - live in a safe, organized, clean, non-corrupt, English speaking environment, and still go to Thailand each weekend to indulge in all your humanly sins cheaply. Money makes a happy person in Singapore, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

But they cane you for free!

I like Singapore, I'm not sure though if I would want to retire there. The pace of life etc, is not what I would want, although would be happy to have a house on Sentosa.

I like Singapore, I'm not sure though if I would want to retire there. The pace of life etc, is not what I would want, although would be happy to have a house on Sentosa.

I really enjoy my trips to Singapore, but fear if one spent too much time there it would wear thin on a person these days, however I think I could have lived there very easily under Empire before those Jap blighters arrived and messed things up.. tally ho....biggrin.png  

• Like 1

If you have a disposable income of $20,000 a month then Singapore is a good place to base yourself. You can have the best of both worlds - live in a safe, organized, clean, non-corrupt, English speaking environment, and still go to Thailand each weekend to indulge in all your humanly sins cheaply. Money makes a happy person in Singapore, unfortunately.

But they cane you for free!

And you don't have to go all  the way to the North Pole.

There are a few people on this forum I wish would go to Singaporesmile.png

Edited by Rooo
link

The cost of living, for me anyways, is too high. If I could afford it, it might be a nice safe choice. Remember though, Singapore is an extremely strategic crossroads. If you like that proximity, and do not mind Major Naval Commands from New Zealand and the USA, and all the joint training going on there (military "joint" training), then go for it.

A major Naval Airstrip with Space available military flights for retirees might be a major attraction for some.  I want to look for a few days, anyways.

Edited by slipperylobster

I lived in Singapore for over 5 years and loved it. Having said that I was working 12 hours a day and playing hard Friday and Saturday. Would I like to retire there ..... Definitely not ! Full of pretentious pr**ks and HI SO wannabes. I lived there because I needed to as part of my employment package and it is a great place, spoilt by the folk I have just mentioned and high prices. I laugh now at my daily attire - flip- flops, shorts, vest and very rarely anything else. I do get dressed up to go to Macro or Tesco, but that is about it. Most people in Singapore are on " parade " 24/ 7 trying to outdo one an other.......that is not a place to retire. If you are rich and can afford Singapore then I would recommend you find an exclusive place in Thailand and enjoy the good life, but much more down to earth. To be honest, I would have been bored to death if it wasn't for work in Singapore. Great place to work and educate your kids - and let them see how the Sing kids really do work hard - make some dish and then exit to some where your money will stretch further and where you can be yourself !
  • Like 2

Stay on topic please. My dick is bigger than your dick would be an assumption. My personals are none of your business. Nor is yours mine. For all you members that hate yourself and became a higher lifeforms then please don't join the discussion. If you want to compare dick and bankrolls then start your own forum.
Thank you.

Let's take this to a different level shall we.

If you wanted to retire in Thailand you could reasonably expect to spend somewhere between THB 50k and THB 150K a month on living expenses, based on lifestyle choices.

Plus accommodation costs, for which you might expect to buy a small condo of around 35sm for say 800k baht, a decent western compatible house for say THB 5 million or something really really nice for lots more.

Importantly, you can easily get a retirement visa from age 50.

In Singapore however: you couldn't easily get a retirement visa, not unless you have large amounts of capital, large as in extremely big a lot!

Your living expense might range between SGD5k and SGD15k a month, that's an average of THB 260K a month for a basic lifestyle, little entertainment and no car.

Here, you go make the calculation and then come back and talk to us about dick size and bank rolls!

http://www.contactsingapore.sg/why_singapore/about_singapore/cost_of_living_calculator/

• Like 1

The first time i came to Asia i landed in Singapore and was there for about 3 days on my own .I never got a smile or any conversation even though they are good English speakers .I remember  looking at one good looking woman on a bus and she gave me back a look of pure hatred .After that i went up overland through Maylasia where things got better .When i reached Thailand it was a revelation .Nice friendly people and women who appreciated you looking at them .Its the small things in life that are most important.

I also have lived a few years in Singapore. Although it has many conveniences like great public transport, safety, etc. it is just an island covered in concrete. Thailand has countryside, jungle, farmland, etc. singapore has high rises, HDB flats, and office buildings. The only way to get away from the city is to leave the country. But then I grew up a farm boy, and my personal preference is to get away from a city.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

visitors.

No, it's Ang Moh, which basically means "red Haired", you can add devil or monkey on if you wish. Never really offended me, as again it depends in what context it's used.

I see a few people are quick to bash Singapore, but would assume those have never had the opportunity to live and work there. For me, It was the first place in SEA I ever want to, and I love my trips down there, although I personally would not want to retire there.

I have also been to Singapore.  Love it!  True, it's the cleanest place on Earth, everybody speaks English, didn't notice any corruption, good public services, excellent food, lots of places of interest, etc. etc. etc.

Retirees?   Sorry...  It is not the fact how much you have money to spend...  You must be working and pay TAX!  

Singapore has no natural resources.  Its Gov't wants every person to contribute.  And it is understandable.  Especially when they make it abundantly clear.  So, sorry...  (correct me if I'm wrong, please).

Having lived in Singapore I can tell you that the place is impressive, clean and modern. (Clean)food is cheaper than in Bangkok and transportation is world class, It will, however, creep up on you after a while as it's too small. Yo can not just go on a road trip to the islands or mountains in the weekends. 

I guess I was tired of the hustle and bustle of Manhattan, the wannabes, my dick is bigger than yours wars over a few beautiful women, the loss of "community" and the friendliness of people there once was. Turn off the noise and relax to sounds of the sea. If Singapore is like USA then it is not the place I want to retire. I have lived in that corporate steps module most of my adult existence. Yeah... Thailand has options. If I want nightlife... Gotta it... Laid back countryside. Yup check... Or a quiet paradise like Koh Samui. Done.

I guess I was tired of the hustle and bustle of Manhattan, the wannabes, my dick is bigger than yours wars over a few beautiful women, the loss of "community" and the friendliness of people there once was. Turn off the noise and relax to sounds of the sea. If Singapore is like USA then it is not the place I want to retire. I have lived in that corporate steps module most of my adult existence. Yeah... Thailand has options. If I want nightlife... Gotta it... Laid back countryside. Yup check... Or a quiet paradise like Koh Samui. Done.

I think you gave it sussed

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app