Good Heavens! UK CRB says I was arrested....

Whilst in the UK for my Mum's funeral 6 months ago, I took the opportunity to apply for a Subject Access Request (CRB), in case this was ever requested by a future employer.  (I have not lived in the UK since 2002 and I already have a CRB certificate from Bangkok).

I just received the data by snail mail from the UK and blow me down with a wet feather! It says that I was arrested in 1986!!

This is news to me.  What did I do at the age of 27 years old that warranted an arrest?  Perhaps I was sleep-walking, because AFAIK (and I should know), I've never been arrested in my life...

I've emailed for clarification (the arrest details are not stated on the print-out).  But right now, I'm better off not providing this CRB from the UK to potential employers.

Has anyone else ever encountered a problem like this?

Don't worry, as you don't seem to be the only guy here. If there's a slight possibility that you were sleepwalking and did it, here's what an English "mate" did a few moons ago.

( He got caught after an armed robbery, forgot to remove the finger prints on the used pump gun)

He photoshopped it. Lol  Glad to see guys here on TVF who're older than I am......

Is there a possibility that somebody was using your ID??????

Edited by lostinisaan

Back in the UK I volunteered to become a mentor to single mother kids who were going astray or struggling at school. After jumping through hoop after hoop my CRB check came back saying I had been arrested several times and done a stretch in prison. Needless to say it was all wrong and rather than spend more time and wasted effort trying to get it fixed I just didn't bother. 

The arrest is probably just someone with the same name, and the police have just accidentally added it to your record instead (Someone might have even given the police your name when they were arrested).  Once you e-mail them I'm sure they'll sort it out, it's likely something which happens semi-regularly.

• Like 1

The arrest is probably just someone with the same name, and the police have just accidentally added it to your record instead (Someone might have even given the police your name when they were arrested).  Once you e-mail them I'm sure they'll sort it out, it's likely something which happens semi-regularly.

My mother, who never even had an unpaid parking ticket, had her salary impounded by the tax authorities. There was someone else in town with her name whistling.gif

Back in the days, when I started insuring a Yamaha RD 350 bike (<170 kg, 63 hp and Wiseco pistons etc.) she was insuring it. When the Police took a photo of me speeding 160 km/h in a 100 km/h zone, she got the ticket. I found it hilarious, while she wasn't amused laugh.png  The letter read "Mrs. ..., born 193x, you are accused of having..." 

In the US, as far as old stuff, when you are fingerprinted after arrest, that will be on your permanent NCI Report.  If you were simply ticketed and released; those seem to disappear.  I grew up in Virginia, and they have a law that police records older than 10 years must be destroyed for misdemeanors.  But, it's a catch 22, because if you were fingerprinted, an FBI check will show it, and a school  district will want to see the police report, that you will not be able to provide.  I guarantee you, there are thousands of 40 yo, still explaining why they had beer in their cup at age 20.....

I've had it the other way around. I have a conviction for DUI but nothing mentioned on the form I needed for Brazilian visa.

Maybe your country offers something similar to what we have in NZ.  Whereby if you have a "clean slate" for 7 years, your previous convictions for minor stuff get wiped out (Although there is a special report available which you can request, incase foreign countries specifically want the full report, although companies within NZ aren't allowed to set it as a requirement).

Shouldn't these reports just show convictions, not arrests, anyway?

I was quite surprised to see any detail on my CRB report.  The 'arrest' (which was never an arrest but a summons to Court), was for criminal use of a vehicle tax disc.  In fact, all I did was to put the tax disc from my motorbike on my untaxed car for a day, because I wasn't able to park it off the road.

I didn't expect traffic wardens to scrutinize the tax disc so closely - it created quite a stir in the neighbourhood.  I was charged with this terrible offence, not fingerprinted, but pleaded guilty in Court and sentenced to 5 years hard labour fined 75 quid.

I didn't expect this offence to show up on a CRB......I don't think it will exclude me from working with 'vulnerable people' will it? biggrin.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Shouldn't these reports just show convictions, not arrests, anyway?

I was quite surprised to see any detail on my CRB report.  The 'arrest' (which was never an arrest but a summons to Court), was for criminal use of a vehicle tax disc.  In fact, all I did was to put the tax disc from my motorbike on my untaxed car for a day, because I wasn't able to park it off the road.

I didn't expect traffic wardens to scrutinize the tax disc so closely - it created quite a stir in the neighbourhood.  I was charged with this terrible offence, not fingerprinted, but pleaded guilty in Court and sentenced to 5 years hard labour fined 75 quid.

I didn't expect this offence to show up on a CRB......I don't think it will exclude me from working with 'vulnerable people' will it? alt=biggrin.png>

Well, i did a bit of searching the other day and i found that if you are taken to court for something small like that it will show up.  On the other hand, if you get a  Fixed Penalty Notice (i.e fine) on the spot by the officer and you pay it on time, you are discharged of the offense and it won't be recorded anywhere.  But if you don't pay and then get a summons, it will be recorded.

The pommy underworld scum we bitch about are becoming more blatant every day. Now they even boast of their criminal pasts on TV. Honestly, what decent Thai girl would want to have anything to do with someone who made criminal use of a vehicle tax disk.

Honestly, what decent Thai girl would want to have anything to do with someone who made criminal use of a vehicle tax disk.

I know - I hang my head in shame.  It is obviously the reason for my failed marriages.

I should become a monk...

Honestly, what decent Thai girl would want to have anything to do with someone who made criminal use of a vehicle tax disk.

I know - I hang my head in shame.  It is obviously the reason for my failed marriages.

I've been scanning the Interpol Database and they don't seem to know where you are.   Don't worry, I won't tell....but it will cost you.  

The proposal to have UK ID cards was not all bad.  Without individual ID numbers the arrest record could relate to anyone with a similar name.

You think you have it bad - how about Mr J Smith and his records for armed robbery, car theft, murder and being a politician!

I need one regularly for visa's when working with various companies offshore. I have a small number of fixed penalty fines for being pissed and gobbing off, 3 or 4 I think. There are different categories of CRB you can apply for. I am an Englishman and if I get a CRB done in England then they show up which is undesirable. You can get a lower category of CRB in Scotland which tends to ignore the more minor offences. I don't know the full details but that is an option if you've been a naughty boy and want to keep it quiet. Of course if you are a diddler and have been caught you deserve everything you get.

You will have plenty of criminal companions there if you do.

The proposal to have UK ID cards was not all bad.  Without individual ID numbers the arrest record could relate to anyone with a similar name.

You think you have it bad - how about Mr J Smith and his records for armed robbery, car theft, murder and being a politician!

But that might change pretty soon, as Muhammad's will take over. 

Turns out it was his record...for putting a tax disk on another vehicle.