Satelite Dish

mraitchison

I think I will just pay someone to come and fix it. I don't fancy doing a Rod Hull, just to get Baby TV to work.

But your attempt could make a good news story for ThaiVisa: Farang Breaks His Neck While Attempting Satellite Dish Repair.  tongue.png

Jump! Jump! Jump!...           sorry, bad habit I picked up while in the U.S.

A Big Ugly Dish (1.3m - 1.8m) doesn't have to go on the house (and it really surprises me when people stick them up there). Usually they're mounted on a cement disc with a south-facing open view and a cable for each STB running to the house.

We have both a GMMz and a IPM HD Pro DVB/S2 STB connected to a 1.3m dish mounted on our concrete perimeter wall, receiving both C and Ku band broadcasts via multiple LNBs pointed at near-enough satellites.  

I like that the IPM HD Pro integrates all the receivable channels from the various satellites into one channel menu, though the downside is that it won't decode TRUE VISIONS or GMMz encrypted programming.

The GMMz non-HD STB is used in the kitchen and came bundled with Discovery and Animal Planet but the menu isn't integrated so it just sits receiving ThaiCom -- but the family is happy enough and they go back and forth between rooms to watch whatever.

And after having invested in the research and materials necessary to receive multiple satellite feeds I still prefer IPTV, Popcorn Time and Tor for the English content.

Oh, probably should post this...

LYNGSAT  website lists what gets broadcast from each bird, can be sorted by Satellite, Provider, Band, etc...

Free-to-Air channels available for receptions in Thailand from NSS 6, Vinasat 2, ThaiCom 5 & 6 satellites

GMM Z Encrypted channels on Thaicom 5/6 at 78.5°E C-band

GMM Z Encrypted channels on Thaicom 5/6 at 78.5°E Ku-band

I think I will just pay someone to come and fix it. I don't fancy doing a Rod Hull, just to get Baby TV to work.

But your attempt could make a good news story for ThaiVisa: Farang Breaks His Neck While Attempting Satellite Dish Repair.  tongue.png

I now have a surgical steel femur head pounded into my left thigh bone due to the True Vision cancellation of ASN two years ago, losing it to GMM Granny.  I'm American and purchased a GMM Granny box and was wiring to an unused LNB  on my "C" band antenna so I could have both True and GRM without futzing around switching wires and watch American football.  The leg on the aluminum Thai ladder bent and I took a nose dive onto the floor.  Hence the metal leg.

When I was recovering in the hospital my wife bought a copy of the Bangkok Post for me and on the back page of the entertainment section there was a giant add that True had renegotiated with ASN and GMM and now would air ASN and American football.

I blamed everything on my wife since she didn't hold the ladder for me, but she was in Bangkok and my house is in Nakhon Sawan Province. The story about my trip from the bedroom floor, the trip to the hospitals, all 3, and the operation, two, is another unbelievable Thai adventure story.

I now have a surgical steel femur head pounded into my left thigh bone due to the True Vision cancellation of ASN two years ago, losing it to GMM Granny.  I'm American and purchased a GMM Granny box and was wiring to an unused LNB  on my "C" band antenna so I could have both True and GRM without futzing around switching wires and watch American football.  The leg on the aluminum Thai ladder bent and I took a nose dive onto the floor.  Hence the metal leg.

When I was recovering in the hospital my wife bought a copy of the Bangkok Post for me and on the back page of the entertainment section there was a giant add that True had renegotiated with ASN and GMM and now would air ASN and American football.

I blamed everything on my wife since she didn't hold the ladder for me, but she was in Bangkok and my house is in Nakhon Sawan Province. The story about my trip from the bedroom floor, the trip to the hospitals, all 3, and the operation, two, is another unbelievable Thai adventure story.

Good story...let's name it: Farang Breaks His Leg While Attempting Satellite Dish Modification.tongue.png

To get to my C band dish it's mounted on a concrete ledge on the top of my two story home...the ledge is even with the bottom of the roof and then the disk is mounted on a 5 foot vertical pool.  In the past when I was changing out LNBs (replacing the C band only LNB with a combo C/KU band LNB) I would access the ledge by fully extending a 24 foot fiberglass ladder I have (Thai aluminum ladders just can't handle a farang weight and are wobbly) and then having to crawl onto the ledge because the ladder fully extended barely reached the ledge.  I would then stand on the concrete fiber tile roof to reach/replace the LNB...and a few times I cracked some of the tiles and had to replace them...but they are easy to replace and only cost around Bt15 each.  I would estimate my feet are a good 25 feet in the air...add in my 6 foot height and my head is around 31 feet from mother earth...and directly below me is my concrete yard fence with iron spikes on the top of the fence...would be like falling on a spear.  On the day I fall they won't be taking me to the hospital; they'll be taking me to the local temple for cremation.

But my TrueVisions KU band disk is pretty easy to get to...only about half way up the house...and I don't even use it now since I have TrueVisions cable.

No doubt about it...messing around with a satellite dish up on your home somewhere can be dangerous unless person is very careful and has study equipment (and lighting don't strike you).  I really shouldn't being doing this stuff at my age but I enjoy it.   tongue.png   

GMMZ box buy the hd box 2,500 baht and you'll get a few English channels, you can then phone them and ask for the full package plus CTH football channels if you want. They'll give you a code and you'll go pay the extra at a 7/11, by the time we got back home everything was working. More than enough channels cheaper than True and no rain fade.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app