Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

I visted Room 301 this week and they confirmed that the meetings had now been held to clear the back logs of 2006/7 applications but not sure when the letters will be sent out to confirm if the applicants are successful

Aarrgghh! This is SO frustrating - time is just running out for me. My job here finishes on 11th June, I leave for three weeks holiday in the UK on 19th June, come back for one week in late July, and then go to my new job (in another country) in late July. I'm stuffed!! I really wanted to get this sorted, so that when I come back here to retire it will all be done and dusted. Two and a half years of waiting and it all fails at the last hurdle . . . . .

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just out of interest, has anyone who applied for PR (in 2006/2007) on the basis of supporting a Thai family been asked in the last few days to take a DNA test to determine the relationship between oneself, spouse and children?

Hello,

I applied under this category in 2007, and, so far, have not heard anything from immigration.

Bye.

I applied in 2006, when there was no mention of a DNA test in the requirements. Very much like you, I was contacted out of the blue months after all of my other documents had been received and approved, and instructed to take a DNA test. I would just do it and not worry too much.

Thanks perax and stbkk, it is great to get some feedback from others. After picking up our letter from immigration (DNA request), my family and I went off to the police hospital today for the DNA test and it turned out that there was a whole stack of other letters from Suan Plu asking for DNA tests from other applicants, so I wasn't the only one.

I do hope that this is the last hurdle before the applications get approved!

grtaylor, if it is any comfort, I heard that 2006 applicants had passed through both immigration committees and only need the Minister of Interior signature.

The best of luck to you all!!

grtaylor, if it is any comfort, I heard that 2006 applicants had passed through both immigration committees and only need the Minister of Interior signature.

Thanks for your encouraging words, however, the problem is that according to Camerata's guide there is still a lot to do even when you receive the letter, visits to Immigration, the Police, the Amphur etc. etc., which altogether could take up to a week. That time is very quickly running out. I have a total of approx. 30 days left in Thailand, including Saturdays and Sundays. I just don't see it happening in time . . . . . . .

I suppose the only thing to take comfort in is that I haven't paid the big money yet.

Thanks for your encouraging words, however, the problem is that according to Camerata's guide there is still a lot to do even when you receive the letter, visits to Immigration, the Police, the Amphur etc. etc., which altogether could take up to a week. That time is very quickly running out. I have a total of approx. 30 days left in Thailand, including Saturdays and Sundays. I just don't see it happening in time . . . . . . .

I suppose the only thing to take comfort in is that I haven't paid the big money yet.

Yes it is a surreal and exacerbating situation. I still would not pull the plug on your application as to be honest nobody knows when the applications will be signed, sealed and delivered. It might just turn out that the letter arrives (and is forwarded to you) at a point when you can take leave from your future employment. It would be a crying shame to let it all go now after so much effort!

Yes it is a surreal and exacerbating situation. I still would not pull the plug on your application as to be honest nobody knows when the applications will be signed, sealed and delivered. It might just turn out that the letter arrives (and is forwarded to you) at a point when you can take leave from your future employment. It would be a crying shame to let it all go now after so much effort!

Agreed, however nothing is ever as easy as it might seem. My latest six-month extension expires on October 10th, and, as a school teacher, I can't just take leave whenever I want. I leave here on July 21st, and won't be back until December/January . . . . .

Agreed, however nothing is ever as easy as it might seem. My latest six-month extension expires on October 10th, and, as a school teacher, I can't just take leave whenever I want. I leave here on July 21st, and won't be back until December/January . . . . .

Thanks for the news about the 2006 applications, it looks like the long wait may be nearly over.

Dear grtaylor, its obviously a personal choice, but if at all possible I'd hang on until the bitter end and get that PR!

You never know what will happen in the future with the other visas that are currently available, retirement, accompanying spouse etc. They may not be available when you want to come back, or the criteria may have changed so much that you may not be able to get one. Obviously they could change or remove the PR status also, but it seems to me that they just mess around with the application process and leave you alone once you have jumped(crawled?) through all of the hoops.

Also, from other posts on the forum, they seem to be making it easier to get citizenship once you have pr, if that is of interest to you.

Anyway, lets hope the letters all arrive on Monday morning, and you can fit it into your schedule whatever.

Yes, I was also asked to make a DNA test for 1 of my kids, my wife and myself, about 1 week ago. I also applied in 2007.

Now I am not sure if I need to bring the receipt to the Room 301 before I get the result back?

Do you know if we just wait 1 month for result?

Allan

Yes, I was also asked to make a DNA test for 1 of my kids, my wife and myself, about 1 week ago. I also applied in 2007.

Now I am not sure if I need to bring the receipt to the Room 301 before I get the result back?

Do you know if we just wait 1 month for result?

Allan

Hi Allan, yes you do need to take the receipt to Room 301 so that they can keep the process moving forwards while we wait for the DNA results.

Hi "aaoaahq"

Thanks a lot for your answer. Will go there tomorrow then. BTW, I paid 15000 baht for DNA test for 3 persons!

Maybe I will start to sum together the total amount spent for PR soon. It might be near 200K, incl the final amounts to be paid, if approved in the end.

Br

Allan

Thanks for your encouraging words, however, the problem is that according to Camerata's guide there is still a lot to do even when you receive the letter, visits to Immigration, the Police, the Amphur etc. etc., which altogether could take up to a week.

The thing is, you have to pay the final fee to Immigration before you go to the police and amphur. In my case I think I had to wait a week for someone at Immigration to give the final signature (I assume they were on leave) before I could go to the police. The police were no problem but I had to make an appointment to see the head guy at the amphur and that took another week.

Thanks for your encouraging words, however, the problem is that according to Camerata's guide there is still a lot to do even when you receive the letter, visits to Immigration, the Police, the Amphur etc. etc., which altogether could take up to a week.

The thing is, you have to pay the final fee to Immigration before you go to the police and amphur. In my case I think I had to wait a week for someone at Immigration to give the final signature (I assume they were on leave) before I could go to the police. The police were no problem but I had to make an appointment to see the head guy at the amphur and that took another week.

That's what I feared - really not enough time left . . . . . and I'm not prepared to pay the fee, and then risk running out of time before its completed!

Ah well, I guess its a retirement visa for me instead. I feel very bitter about this, given the amount of time I've invested in working in this country and in getting my PR application ready. I know I'm a "guest" in this country, but, when they have an established procedure for people who want to stay and become permanent residents (and are willing to pay a large amount of money to do so!), they really should treat them with more consideration. I wonder how many of the 2006 applicants have already given up waiting?

That's what I feared - really not enough time left . . . . . and I'm not prepared to pay the fee, and then risk running out of time before its completed!

Ah well, I guess its a retirement visa for me instead. I feel very bitter about this, given the amount of time I've invested in working in this country and in getting my PR application ready. I know I'm a "guest" in this country, but, when they have an established procedure for people who want to stay and become permanent residents (and are willing to pay a large amount of money to do so!), they really should treat them with more consideration. I wonder how many of the 2006 applicants have already given up waiting?

You should at least get a re-entry permit that would keep your continuous extensions valid. It only costs 1000 baht.

That way if the approval comes through at least you could still do it if you changed your mind.

Just came back from another extension from room 301 yesterday. Good news and bad news.

Bad news first: Its could be a lot longer than some of the latest posts infer. while the 2006 and 2007 batches have been approved by the committee, it still has to go to the Interior minister to be signed. And as we know the last interior minister Purachai took three years to approve the applications. If we are lucky the Minister could approve then in a couple of months. Also They have not yet sent the 2007 batches to the Minister of Interior because of protocol, the 2006 batches have to be sent first, once those are signed, then the 2007 batches will be sent. They gave me a rough date of the 3rd month of next year for the 2007 batches to be approved (and possibly published in the Royal Gazette as they were in previous years)

Now for the good news:

Since the 2006 and 2007 batches have been approved, there is nothing you can do to ruin the process. You can leave the country not come back for 3 years and your application will still be valid!

But here is the Key: Once the minister signs the approvals, you only have 30 days after the letters are sent to pay your money and complete the process.

If you do not do this within the 30 days then your application is no longer valid. No excuses.

So according to them you can leave the country now, wait for the letter to come in the mail, come back in on a tourist visa and within 30 days of the letter being sent complete the process.

The reasoning behind this is that the commission and the minister are more powerful then them. they cannot revoke what the commission has approved and the minister has signed. What they will do is deny you Permanent Residency if you do not come within 30 days set by regulations that a letter is sent to you to complete the process.

having said this, do keep in mind that if you are hoping for Citizenship after this you will have lost your continuous extensions, will not be able to apply right away and will have to wait until you build up 5 years continuous again.

I hope this helps persons that are about to give up because of the long wait.

This also shows the importance of notifying this thread as soon as you have received your letter, as others might not receive them or receive them at the last minute and miss the 30 days deadline.

But here is the Key: Once the minister signs the approvals, you only have 30 days after the letters are sent to pay your money and complete the process.

If you do not do this within the 30 days then your application is no longer valid. No excuses.

And there, in a nutshell, is my problem.

I leave to work overseas on 21st July, and won't (actually can't!) get back until Christmas. . . . . . . dam_n.

Just came back from another extension from room 301 yesterday. Good news and bad news.

Bad news first: Its could be a lot longer than some of the latest posts infer. while the 2006 and 2007 batches have been approved by the committee, it still has to go to the Interior minister to be signed. And as we know the last interior minister Purachai took three years to approve the applications. If we are lucky the Minister could approve then in a couple of months. Also They have not yet sent the 2007 batches to the Minister of Interior because of protocol, the 2006 batches have to be sent first, once those are signed, then the 2007 batches will be sent. They gave me a rough date of the 3rd month of next year for the 2007 batches to be approved (and possibly published in the Royal Gazette as they were in previous years)

Now for the good news:

Since the 2006 and 2007 batches have been approved, there is nothing you can do to ruin the process. You can leave the country not come back for 3 years and your application will still be valid!

So according to them you can leave the country now, wait for the letter to come in the mail, come back in on a tourist visa and within 30 days of the letter being sent complete the process.

The reasoning behind this is that the commission and the minister are more powerful then them. they cannot revoke what the commission has approved and the minister has signed. What they will do is deny you Permanent Residency if you do not come within 30 days set by regulations that a letter is sent to you to complete the process.

having said this, do keep in mind that if you are hoping for Citizenship after this you will have lost your continuous extensions, will not be able to apply right away and will have to wait until you build up 5 years continuous again.

I hope this helps persons that are about to give up because of the long wait.

This also shows the importance of notifying this thread as soon as you have received your letter, as others might not receive them or receive them at the last minute and miss the 30 days deadline.

Thank you THAIJAMES for the latest update.

Allan has a valid point. Firstly, the ultimate cost of acquiring PR (whether supporting a Thai national or not) is way above the 7,600 Baht application fee. I ultimately do not have a problem with that as I have travelled the road to this point, but applicants should be forewarned that the DNA tests, translations, official stamps, home country police checks etc. add up to a lot of money in the end. This is before you pay the final fee for the residence permit. I also agree with grtaylor that there is supposed to be a defined process/timeline for PR and such a rigorous process on behalf of the applicants should be mirrored in the approval process. However, given the political turmoil over the last 3 years, I do not think that our applications for PR have even registered 0.1 on the richter scale in the Thai Ministry of Interior and therefore I do not expect any quick fixes.

Nevertheless, it would be nice if Room 301 would periodically update us on the status of our applications (either by email or phone) so that we know that the process is in fact moving forward.

The eternal question:is it worth it?

Some years ago my answer was:NO

The latest developments confirmed(IMHO)this truth. :)

Definitely a tough question to answer.

If I'd have known when I applied two and a half years ago I'd still be waiting now, I'm not sure I'd have gone through with it.

However, I have several mates who are long term settled here with wives and families, who tell me they

wish they had done it when they were working.

Probably the deciding factor for me would be a certain degree of peace of mind. Should I lose my job I won't need to worry about what visa etc. I need to try and get (in 7 days, I understand!) to stay with the wife and kids.

I've also mentioned in a previous post you are never certain what is going to happen with the visa situation. They always seem to be changing the rules, and I guess there is no guarantee that what you can get now will still be around in the future. While they seem to make some changes to the process, it seems that once you have 'PR', they actually do mean P!

With reference to the above post, the info I'm getting via the usual contacts (as always, third-hand) is that both batches of documents (2006 and 2007) have already been sent to the interior ministry for processing.

"But" these documents need to go through a dozen of endorsement steps at the ministry alone, so it migth take a while indeed.

/.

With reference to the above post, the info I'm getting via the usual contacts (as always, third-hand) is that both batches of documents (2006 and 2007) have already been sent to the interior ministry for processing.

"But" these documents need to go through a dozen of endorsement steps at the ministry alone, so it migth take a while indeed.

/.

I'm sorry, but I think the information you've been given is wrong, at least for 2006 applicants. I believe the 2006 papers went to the Ministry in late 2007. My sources tell me they have waiting all this time for the "endorsement steps" AT the ministry.

I'm sorry, but I think the information you've been given is wrong, at least for 2006 applicants. I believe the 2006 papers went to the Ministry in late 2007. My sources tell me they have waiting all this time for the "endorsement steps" AT the ministry.

You could well be right. I have been told that the 2006 and 2007 applications were waiting for the immigration commission to convene, these famous meetings that happened around May 20. Once approved by the commission, applications were then sent to the interior ministry for processing (13 signatures required there, I am told). The info comes from somebody in immigration, but is indirect in the sense that I do not personaly know this person. Al other information provided so far seems to be accurate, though, but our mileage migth vary. I'm not holding my breath either.

You could well be right. I have been told that the 2006 and 2007 applications were waiting for the immigration commission to convene, these famous meetings that happened around May 20. Once approved by the commission, applications were then sent to the interior ministry for processing (13 signatures required there, I am told). The info comes from somebody in immigration, but is indirect in the sense that I do not personaly know this person. Al other information provided so far seems to be accurate, though, but our mileage migth vary. I'm not holding my breath either.

Although I don't think it makes any difference and I don't want to confuse things further, I understand from Room 301 that there are 2 immigration committees that applications need to pass through. The first committee is made up of lower level officials from the immigration, labour department etc. and they scrutinize the applications in detail. The second committee is made up of much more senior officials from many Government Departments, such as the MoFA, MoI, Labour Ministry etc. who basically just endorse the 1st committees approval and then send them on to the MoI for the Minister's signature. So if you pass through the 1st committee then your application is basically OK. The information I received from Room 301 is that 2006 applications have passed through both committees and are awaiting the Minister's signature while the 2007 applications have only passed through the 1st committee and therefore need to go to the final committee before being sent to the MoI. Anyway, I hope that they are all finalized soon!

Sorry I'm messing up this thread again, butting in with my annoying questions, but I've got nowhere else to go.... :D

Looking down the list of requirements for PR, what is this 'certificate of no criminal record' all about??? If anyone from any English-speaking country could kindly explain what they did for this? I could work the rest out for myself.

Cheers :)

Sorry I'm messing up this thread again, butting in with my annoying questions, but I've got nowhere else to go.... :D

Looking down the list of requirements for PR, what is this 'certificate of no criminal record' all about??? If anyone from any English-speaking country could kindly explain what they did for this? I could work the rest out for myself.

Here is what I did for the criminal records (applicable at least for Danish citizens):

1) Send a letter to the central Police Department to request my Criminal Records. If you have committed no crime, then you will have no criminal offenses listed in your records. For Danish citizen, I had to request in English language.

2) After receive the criminal records, I had to send it back to the Danish authorities, to make an apostille of the signatures on the document. This had to be done, as my Embassy in Thailand could only certify the Criminal Records after I had the apostille done.

3) The apostille was done on the back side of the document.

4) Then to my embassy in Thailand, and got the certification stamps and signatures.

5) Trabslate to Thai language.

5) Gp to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at Chaeng Wattana Road, to get translated copy certified as a true "copy" of the

original criminal records (already certified by Embassy). You need to bring both documents (original and translation).

NOTE: This criminal record and my University Diploma were the most expensive and time consuming documents to get completed.

Br

Allan

Here is what I did for the criminal records (applicable at least for Danish citizens):

1) Send a letter to the central Police Department to request my Criminal Records. If you have committed no crime, then you will have no criminal offenses listed in your records. For Danish citizen, I had to request in English language.

2) After receive the criminal records, I had to send it back to the Danish authorities, to make an apostille of the signatures on the document. This had to be done, as my Embassy in Thailand could only certify the Criminal Records after I had the apostille done.

4) Then to my embassy in Thailand, and got the certification stamps and signatures.

5) Gp to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at Chaeng Wattana Road, to get translated copy certified as a true "copy" of the

original criminal records (already certified by Embassy). You need to bring both documents (original and translation).

NOTE: This criminal record and my University Diploma were the most expensive and time consuming documents to get completed.

Br

Allan

And of course the Police Department is in your country of citizenship (in my case "the Criminal Register of Denmark").

Br

Allan

And of course the Police Department is in your country of citizenship (in my case "the Criminal Register of Denmark").

I (I'm a Brit) got my 'certificate of no criminal record' from the UK, and it had to be certified by the British Embassy here, also, I seem to remember. Its basically an official document from your home country certifying you have no criminal record. In the UK this consists of a list of police data held about you, which is provided under the freedom of infomration laws, which is of course blank if you have no record.

I do remember it was almost the easiest of all of the required documents to get, surprisingly enough.

Good luck with your application, I hope it comes through quicker than mine (2006 and still waiting).

The Australian Federal Police can take care of this for you. See the following website for details:

http://www.afp.gov.au/business/national_police_checks

I just wrote a letter stating that my Diploma was lost. But you MUST have a criminal record check, no way around this.

Just out of interest, has anyone who applied for PR (in 2006/2007) on the basis of supporting a Thai family been asked in the last few days to take a DNA test to determine the relationship between oneself, spouse and children?

Hello,

I applied under this category in 2007, and, so far, have not heard anything from immigration.

...and just today my wife received a call from Immigration informing us of the DNA test requirment... it was put down as if it were optional, "worth 10 points". They will send us a letter with detailed instructions. It should be done for 3 members of the family (me, wife, one of the kids).

Bye.

The Australian Federal Police can take care of this for you. See the following website for details:

http://www.afp.gov.au/business/national_police_checks

Right, and it's the fingerprint check you need: http://www.afp.gov.au/business/national_po...ks#fingerprints

You can get the fingerprint card done free at Bangkok Immigration.

You might want to ask Immigration about the length of time this certificate is valid. Many documents they ask for can't be more than 3 months old, so you may need to get the criminal record check in October for an end-of-year application.

I (I'm a Brit) got my 'certificate of no criminal record' from the UK, and it had to be certified by the British Embassy here, also, I seem to remember. Its basically an official document from your home country certifying you have no criminal record. In the UK this consists of a list of police data held about you, which is provided under the freedom of infomration laws, which is of course blank if you have no record.

I do remember it was almost the easiest of all of the required documents to get, surprisingly enough.

Good luck with your application, I hope it comes through quicker than mine (2006 and still waiting).

Did you have an "enhanced", "standard" or "basic" criminal record check?

Is a "basic certificate" good enough? I believe this wouldn't show minor offences such as drink driving.

RAZZ

Archived