Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

Has anyone heard of this "facilitation charge" directly from an Immigration official rather than via a lawyer or other intermediary? I heard a similar story (that there might well be an additional cost) from a lawyer before I applied a few years ago, but I got my PR letter from Immigration and never paid anything extra. I put it to the lawyer that I had never heard of a single case of applicants doing the process themselves being asked for money and he agreed that would never happen.

I haven't used a lawyer, only someone from the HR department at my school initially to put the paperwork together. I'll be at Immigration on Wednesday morning this week, and, as usual, will ask politely but pointedly, when we can expect to hear the result (2006 application!). I'll pass on any information I'm given.

G

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know this is slightly off-topic but are there any requirements for the amount of time physically spent in Thailand during the three years or so before applying for PR, as long as you fulfilled the other criteria...ie paying tax etc etc?

RAZZ

I don't recall any effort was made to check the amount of days you are in the Kingdom. If you have your own company which does your work permits, the only time that you would have to be present during those 3 years is when you have to be physically present to renew your yearly extension. There is no written requirement anywhere that you must be in the Kingdom a minimum number of days.

The work permits and all other legal matters can be handled by your accountant.

Also in 2007 there are no more multiple test questions. You must answer random questions specifically targeted at you from a committee. (Can be grilling).

I know this is slightly off-topic but are there any requirements for the amount of time physically spent in Thailand during the three years or so before applying for PR, as long as you fulfilled the other criteria...ie paying tax etc etc?

RAZZ

I don't recall any effort was made to check the amount of days you are in the Kingdom. If you have your own company which does your work permits, the only time that you would have to be present during those 3 years is when you have to be physically present to renew your yearly extension. There is no written requirement anywhere that you must be in the Kingdom a minimum number of days.

The work permits and all other legal matters can be handled by your accountant.

Also in 2007 there are no more multiple test questions. You must answer random questions specifically targeted at you from a committee. (Can be grilling).

So basically you could set up a company, get a WP, trade, pay the tax...and after 3 years apply for PR without physically being in the Kingdom?

RAZZ

So basically you could set up a company, get a WP, trade, pay the tax...and after 3 years apply for PR without physically being in the Kingdom?

You have to have three unbroken years of 1-year visa extensions, which would be impossible without being in the country for the visa renewals. Besides, Immigration aren't stupid. They are looking for people with some commitment to Thailand and they are sure to notice at some point that you weren't even in the country. Even if there is no rule about this, it won't look good.

You need to submit a copy of every single page of your passport (s) for the last 3 years so it is likely that the amount of time spent in Thailand would be noted. Having said that, I've also never heard any mention of a minimum requirement.

You have to have three unbroken years of 1-year visa extensions, which would be impossible without being in the country for the visa renewals. Besides, Immigration aren't stupid. They are looking for people with some commitment to Thailand and they are sure to notice at some point that you weren't even in the country. Even if there is no rule about this, it won't look good.

Sorry, let me clarify. I didn't mean out of the country 24/7. But if you did say a couple of months working abroad, back in LOS for a few month's etc etc. Would they have any problems with this if you were in-country for visa renewals?

RAZZ

Benefits of Permanent Residence

1. No need to leave the country within 7 days if employment is terminated.
  2. No need to extend or renew any visa, or report your address every 90 days. But you do have to obtain a re-entry visa if you go out of the country.
  3. Allowed to buy a condominium without having to remit funds from abroad.
  4. Entitled to apply for citizenship after 5 years.
  5. Entitled to be appointed a director of a public limited company even if the majority of other directors on the Board are non-Thai.
  6. Supposedly easier to obtain a work permit.
  7. Allowed to go through the "Thai passports only" channel at airport Immigration.

"Disadvantages" of Permanent Residence

When applying for a Thai driving licence, they will insist you have a valid re-entry visa in your passport and residence book, even if you are not intending to go out of the country. They will require your house registration certificate and include your unique 13-digit number on the driving licence.

You did not mention the biggest disadvantage. On a retirement visa you don't pay Thai tax. As a permanent resident you have to pay Thai tax.

I was a P.R. but lost my status because I did not return to Thailand before my re-entry permit expired. I have been on a retirement visa for 10 years now and I really can't see

much advantage in getting P.R. unless you want to eventually apply for Thai citizeship.

What is the benefit of having PR? I see that you still have to pay for re-entry. Can you buy land at least?

as a PR you will have to pay Thai income tax on your pension or income from your own country and you still can't buy land

Sorry, let me clarify. I didn't mean out of the country 24/7. But if you did say a couple of months working abroad, back in LOS for a few month's etc etc. Would they have any problems with this if you were in-country for visa renewals?

My guess is it would be OK if you were away for a few months for legitimate reasons. You could call them and ask about this.

You did not mention the biggest disadvantage. On a retirement visa you don't pay Thai tax. As a permanent resident you have to pay Thai tax.

I was a P.R. but lost my status because I did not return to Thailand before my re-entry permit expired. I have been on a retirement visa for 10 years now and I really can't see

much advantage in getting P.R. unless you want to eventually apply for Thai citizeship.

I didn't know about the tax situation. How did you find this out?

I guess it depends on a person's situation. I've spent most of my adult life in Thailand so I don't have any pension coming from anywhere, let alone 65,000 baht a month. So I won't be paying any income tax and I need the security of knowing I won't get kicked out of the country if I am near-destitute. :o

Has anyone heard of this "facilitation charge" directly from an Immigration official rather than via a lawyer or other intermediary? I heard a similar story (that there might well be an additional cost) from a lawyer before I applied a few years ago, but I got my PR letter from Immigration and never paid anything extra. I put it to the lawyer that I had never heard of a single case of applicants doing the process themselves being asked for money and he agreed that would never happen.

I was at Immigration this morning to get my latest 6-month extension. With me was a guy from the HR office at my school. Having got my next stamp I pointed out to the officer that it is almost 2 years and 5 months since I applied, and asked in the politest possible way how long it would be until the results are known. She sounded genuinely apologetic in her response, and said "very soon, very soon". The guy who was with me then asked if there was any way in which the application could be "hurried along". Her response was "No".

Problem: I'm leaving the country in mid-June for a holiday in the UK, coming back and then leaving to work in the Philippines in mid-July. What do I do if it hasn't come through before I go? I won't be able to come back then until December. If I came back to deal with it (I'd have to take unpaid leave from my job, if they'd let me!), realistically, how many days does it take to do the whole Immigration/Police/Amphur thing? two days? three days? a week? I guess the other option is just to abandon the idea and get a retirement visa instead. Sad, after all the work I put into it. . . . .

I was at Immigration this morning to get my latest 6-month extension. With me was a guy from the HR office at my school. Having got my next stamp I pointed out to the officer that it is almost 2 years and 5 months since I applied, and asked in the politest possible way how long it would be until the results are known. She sounded genuinely apologetic in her response, and said "very soon, very soon". The guy who was with me then asked if there was any way in which the application could be "hurried along". Her response was "No".

Problem: I'm leaving the country in mid-June for a holiday in the UK, coming back and then leaving to work in the Philippines in mid-July. What do I do if it hasn't come through before I go? I won't be able to come back then until December. If I came back to deal with it (I'd have to take unpaid leave from my job, if they'd let me!), realistically, how many days does it take to do the whole Immigration/Police/Amphur thing? two days? three days? a week? I guess the other option is just to abandon the idea and get a retirement visa instead. Sad, after all the work I put into it. . . . .

First of all, thanks once again for your posts, I personally have found them to be very useful.

Secondly, I guess the requests for tea money indicate that things are moving forward, at long last. The middle of June is nearly 2 months away, so it is quite possible it will be all done and dusted by then. I recall when one of my friends was doing the running around, it didn't seem to take too long. Maybe a week or so?

2years and 5 months! It's seems crazy that they make applicants wait so long for the pr notification. Particularly when very few applicants would even qualifying to submit an application in the minimum time of 3yrs.

But one question i'm just wondering why do you want thai pr when you plan to live phillipines?

2years and 5 months! It's seems crazy that they make applicants wait so long for the pr notification. Particularly when very few applicants would even qualifying to submit an application in the minimum time of 3yrs.

But one question i'm just wondering why do you want thai pr when you plan to live phillipines?

A very good point. I came to Thailand nineteen years ago, and have been working in my current job for almost eleven years now. I actually never expected to leave. However, if I hang around for another two years, I will be 60yo, and I will be forced to retire from my current job. So I resigned, as from June this year, and started to look for another job, in Thailand of course, which I could continue to do after 60. Its a lean time for international school jobs, and there is nothing in my line in Thailand at the moment. So, I saw a job which looked interesting in the Philippines, starting August 1st, and after some interviews got the job. How long I'll be there I don't know, but I intend to return here eventually to retire. When I applied for PR in December 2006 I never expected any of this to happen. . . . . .

A very good point. I came to Thailand nineteen years ago, and have been working in my current job for almost eleven years now. I actually never expected to leave. However, if I hang around for another two years, I will be 60yo, and I will be forced to retire from my current job. So I resigned, as from June this year, and started to look for another job, in Thailand of course, which I could continue to do after 60. Its a lean time for international school jobs, and there is nothing in my line in Thailand at the moment. So, I saw a job which looked interesting in the Philippines, starting August 1st, and after some interviews got the job. How long I'll be there I don't know, but I intend to return here eventually to retire. When I applied for PR in December 2006 I never expected any of this to happen. . . . . .

Very interesting. I met a guy who had had been working in thailand 12yrs before receiving pr - i thought that was a long time.

Anyway, sounds like the process is very near completion after this long wait.

I just got an update from somebody knowing somebody in immigration (take with a pinch of salt)

- the meetign at the immigration department was held yesterday

- they processed 2006 and 2007 applications

- if there are no changes at the interior ministry, they expect the process to complete by May 20

Maybe soem of the well-connected ones on this thread can double-check if this quack with their info...

/.

I just got an update from somebody knowing somebody in immigration (take with a pinch of salt)

- if there are no changes at the interior ministry, they expect the process to complete by May 20

Maybe soem of the well-connected ones on this thread can double-check if this quack with their info...

/.

I heard a similar rumour from a friend's lawyer!

G

• 2 weeks later...

/.

G

This is my first post on the forum but have been browsing the PR section since 2003.

I applied for PR (married to a Thai national) in 2006 but due to a minor technicality had to reapply in 2007. When I last went to immigration at the end of March 2009 for my 6 month extension I asked whether this would be last 6 month extension; they smiled and said that I would probably have do one more extension before the final approval came through.

I am happy to hear that the process might now be moving forward and I look forward to any updates from other PR applicants (2006 or 2007) who have recently been to Room 301.

/.

G

This is my first post on the forum but have been browsing the PR section since 2003.

I applied for PR (married to a Thai national) in 2006 but due to a minor technicality had to reapply in 2007. When I last went to immigration at the end of March 2009 for my 6 month extension I asked whether this would be last 6 month extension; they smiled and said that I would probably have do one more extension before the final approval came through.

I am happy to hear that the process might now be moving forward and I look forward to any updates from other PR applicants (2006 or 2007) who have recently been to Room 301.

Hi all,

Just got back from visiting my old friends in room 301, for my 7th (read 'em and weep, you lucky class of 2007 people) extension.

Not this month she said, but before two months. We laughed about it, but when I said see you in 6 months, she insisted that it would definitely be finished by then.

Of course, as a lot of the previous posters have said its pretty much out of imigrations hands, but I can hope, can't I?

Good luck to everybody, anyway.

That's tomorrow!

/.

G

Hi all,

Just got back from visiting my old friends in room 301, for my 7th (read 'em and weep, you lucky class of 2007 people) extension.

Not this month she said, but before two months. We laughed about it, but when I said see you in 6 months, she insisted that it would definitely be finished by then.

Of course, as a lot of the previous posters have said its pretty much out of imigrations hands, but I can hope, can't I?

It will be too late for me I fear . . . . my job here finishes on 11th June and I start a new job (for at least two years) in the Philippines in late July. In between I have to go to UK for a month to visit my mother. If it doesn't come through by June 1st, I've had it. Ah well, I suppose a retirement visa will have to do . . . . . Sad. I'd really hoped to get this before I go, so that I would be able to come back to retire eventually with it all sorted.

G

Sorry to butt in on this discussion! Hello to everyone, I was interested in this thread and have read and downloaded the information from www.immigration.go.th about the RP. I just had a few questions....

1) This thread says that immigration are late in processing 2006-7 applications - does that mean there is no point in applying this year or will you simply join a longer queue?

2) I have read Camerata's description of the Thai test but am still unclear as to the general level expected. Do I need to formally study or pass a test? Would doing so help? How do you know if you are good enough?

Sorry to butt in on this discussion! Hello to everyone, I was interested in this thread and have read and downloaded the information from www.immigration.go.th about the RP. I just had a few questions....

1) This thread says that immigration are late in processing 2006-7 applications - does that mean there is no point in applying this year or will you simply join a longer queue?

2) I have read Camerata's description of the Thai test but am still unclear as to the general level expected. Do I need to formally study or pass a test? Would doing so help? How do you know if you are good enough?

1) They are supposed to be trying hard to clear the backlog, caused partly I'm sure by the last few years of political instability. If you are interested, I wouldn't let the current wait put you off. Its only us 2006 guys who are late, really. If you look back on the Immigration Website, in the Notice tab of the Whats news link, you can find some old announcements. When I first applied, it seemed that around 18 months was the norm.

2) I'm a 2006 man, so when I took it the Thai test was a simple 10 question, very basic knowledge of Thailand and the PR process multiple choice. Apparently that changed in 2007, so maybe one of the other regulars can update you. I have a friend who applied in 2008, and I'm waiting for him to take his, to see how different it is.

Good luck!

From your comments I take it PR is only available for foreigners who actually work in Thailand. It is not available for Retirees with or without being legally married to a Thai. Is this correct? I applied many years ago and was rejected. No reason was given. But that was the year Purachai was the Interior Minister.

From your comments I take it PR is only available for foreigners who actually work in Thailand. It is not available for Retirees with or without being legally married to a Thai. Is this correct? I applied many years ago and was rejected. No reason was given. But that was the year Purachai was the Interior Minister.

You certainly do not have to be married to a Thai, although it is half the cost if you are.

There has been some discussion on this thread about work permit or not, but certainly much of the documentation stated as required is only available if you are working legally, such as tax receipts, etc.

The general agreement seems to be yes, you must be working, and I've not seen anybody come out and say they have applied without having a work permit.

/.

G

Hi all,

Just out of interest, has anyone who applied for PR (in 2006/2007) on the basis of supporting a Thai family been asked in the last few days to take a DNA test to determine the relationship between oneself, spouse and children? They have apparently changed the rules (again!) on the 20th May 2009 that anyone applying in this category regardless of the amount of years married needs to undergo a DNA test at the police hospital. The old rule, that is currently posted on their website states that only married couples with children who have been married less that 5 years need to take the DNA test. This seems to have all changed. I have been married for well over 10 years and I have been asked to do this asap or risk the application being rejected.

Can anyone else confirm this to put my mind somewhat at rest?

Many thanks!

Just out of interest, has anyone who applied for PR (in 2006/2007) on the basis of supporting a Thai family been asked in the last few days to take a DNA test to determine the relationship between oneself, spouse and children?

Hello,

I applied under this category in 2007, and, so far, have not heard anything from immigration.

Bye.

Just out of interest, has anyone who applied for PR (in 2006/2007) on the basis of supporting a Thai family been asked in the last few days to take a DNA test to determine the relationship between oneself, spouse and children?

Hello,

I applied under this category in 2007, and, so far, have not heard anything from immigration.

Bye.

I applied in 2006, when there was no mention of a DNA test in the requirements. Very much like you, I was contacted out of the blue months after all of my other documents had been received and approved, and instructed to take a DNA test. I would just do it and not worry too much.

/.

G

Hi all,

I visted Room 301 this week and they confirmed that the meetings had now been held to clear the back logs of 2006/7 applications but not sure when the letters will be sent out to confirm if the applicants are successful

Archived