Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

An absolutely Outstanding post. The level of detail you have taken the trouble to go into is extremely informative.

My deepest thanks.

I may re-consider applying for PR based squarely on this post. I thought it would be near on impossible to get PR, but as you have said, "Get your house in order", be prepared, get legal representation, learn the language and maybe when the Thai's think your serious about it, you have a shot a least.

I believe the reason they want you to jump through all of the hoops is to discourage the wrong type of people and that is only good for Thai society.

Number one post.

Which post exactly are you replying to? I would disagree with some of would you say (for example: get legal representation) but agree with other point (for example: learn the language).

Please ensure to quote at least the gist of the post you are replying to, so we can understand you better.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which post exactly are you replying to? I would disagree with some of would you say (for example: get legal representation) but agree with other point (for example: learn the language).

I would to some extent disagree with your comments here

1.Pointless to retain lawyers who are inexperienced in immigration or I would argue any legal firm feeding off gullible foreigners.But using experienced Thai lawyers makes a great deal of sense for the busy foreigner - most of my friends, mostly busy executives, with PR did this.Not cheap though.Immigration couldn't care less whether lawyers are used or not, and I also know people who have conducted the whole process themselves - all with very good Thai language capability.

2.Thai language is useful up to a point, and basics essential.But this is not by any means the most important criterion.I know people with PR who barely speak Thai at all.Admittedly this is from some years ago and I am told the requirement has tightened up since.

Hi Guys. Does any body know that while we are under consideration for the PR and getting our 6 monthly stamps, Our non-Thai dependents (spouse and child) would be given 6 month stamps similary as was the case with our yearly extensions prior to applying for PR?

Hi Guys. Does any body know that while we are under consideration for the PR and getting our 6 monthly stamps, Our non-Thai dependents (spouse and child) would be given 6 month stamps similary as was the case with our yearly extensions prior to applying for PR?

Yes. Assuming that your spouse and child also applied for PR, they will also receive consecutive 6 month extensions until a decision is made on the application.

Thanks Guys. But they didn't apply for PR. Only me did. Before that, they've always been my dependent on the yearly visa.

I'm not 100% certain, but I suspect that if they haven't applied for PR then they are not "under consideration" and will not be given 6 monthly extensions. Best to ask at the Residency section at Chaengwattana.

• 2 weeks later...

Both my husband and I have been in the PR queue for years (2006 for him, 2007 for me) and I'm not expecting any changes soon, but just in case I'm wrong, I've got a few questions.

1) With regard to traveling outside the country after receiving PR, the information at the start of this post says you need a "one year endorsement" as well as the usual re-entry permit. I seem to recall someone saying that you get this from your local police department. Is that true?

2) Is this endorsement just a formality? What I mean is, is anyone ever turned down? Do you need to show permission from your employer or anything similar?

3) I'm a bit confused about the difference (if any) between "House Registration" and "tabien baan". According to my understanding of Thai (middling), "tabien baan" translates to house registration but the initial post in this thread makes it sound as though these are two separate things.

4) We rent (and probably always will). What happens if we move somewhere new after we've done all the PR paperwork?

Thank you very much in advance for any information you can provide. I apologize if these questions are already answered in the many replies to this topic. With 49 pages, it's pretty unmanageable.

Best,

DoctorD

Both my husband and I have been in the PR queue for years (2006 for him, 2007 for me) and I'm not expecting any changes soon, but just in case I'm wrong, I've got a few questions.

1) With regard to traveling outside the country after receiving PR, the information at the start of this post says you need a "one year endorsement" as well as the usual re-entry permit. I seem to recall someone saying that you get this from your local police department. Is that true?

2) Is this endorsement just a formality? What I mean is, is anyone ever turned down? Do you need to show permission from your employer or anything similar?

3) I'm a bit confused about the difference (if any) between "House Registration" and "tabien baan". According to my understanding of Thai (middling), "tabien baan" translates to house registration but the initial post in this thread makes it sound as though these are two separate things.

4) We rent (and probably always will). What happens if we move somewhere new after we've done all the PR paperwork?

Thank you very much in advance for any information you can provide. I apologize if these questions are already answered in the many replies to this topic. With 49 pages, it's pretty unmanageable.

Best,

DoctorD

1 Nothing to do with the Police. Will need to apply at immigration on forms : TM 13 and TM 22

2 Only if you do not pay the fee cool.png

3 Same thing - once you have your PR you can apply to be on a 'Blue' book

4 You will need to go to the Police station and inform them

Thank you for your answers. Sorry to be ignorant, but what's a "Blue Book"?

I think I understand that a "house registration" means you are officially subscribed as living at a certain address. I gather you can have a house registration even if you do not own the place where you live, is that correct?

Oh, another question. Do you have to get the travel endorsement right before you travel? Or is it possible to simply get it annually, at the same time as the re-entry permit? That's what we do now - when we renew our Non-Imm B visa annually, we also update the re-entry permit. Of course I understand that when (or maybe I should say "if"!) we get our PR, we won't need to do that renewal or the 90 day report anymore - but given that one might have to travel without a lot of warning, it seems as though it would be good to always be prepared ahead of time.

Thanks again.

DoctorD

I heard about the opening for applications from this forum, managed to get my documents together, with much help from my employer's Thai staff and got everything submitted by the end of December 2011. They gave me time to get my photos (8 each at work and at home, with me in them, some with me standing under the signs for my employer and my apartment building.), my health certificate (had to use the Police General Hospital near Ploen Chit, included a chest X-ray. Took most of the day, 820 THB), and my criminal background check (got the fingerprints for that near the Police General Hospital at some all-in-one police service center. Got 2 sets, no fee).

I already have, from immi at Chaeng Wattana, the stamp in my passport saying that the application process is in motion.

I just got notified last week that my Thai language interview would be this month (February, 2012)!

Maybe they are going to get serious about actually issuing these visas. Sure would be a financial windfall, what with the backlog and all.

Well, maybe.

Unfortunately the early part of each year following the acceptance of applications since I applied in 2006 has always been like this. A rush of activity for new applicants, only to slip into total nothingness once the initial processing has been completed.

Still, I will live in hope, at least until I die of old age waiting.....

Unfortunately the early part of each year following the acceptance of applications since I applied in 2006 has always been like this. A rush of activity for new applicants, only to slip into total nothingness once the initial processing has been completed.

Not always, I applied in December 2009 and I had my interview scheduled 11 months later. Two months after is really quick. Also, don't forget there were no applications at all in 2010. To me, this is a positive sign that something may happen in 2012.

i think i read that once you have PR, if you plan to travel outside the country, you need to pay for a special visa or entry permit or what not, and for a multiple entries one, its like 3400 or 3600 baht? seems a bit high if you were 40 years old as in my case---- next 30 years x 3500 baht = 105,000 baht!

i think i read that once you have PR, if you plan to travel outside the country, you need to pay for a special visa or entry permit or what not, and for a multiple entries one, its like 3400 or 3600 baht? seems a bit high if you were 40 years old as in my case---- next 30 years x 3500 baht = 105,000 baht!

In order to leave Thailand and return without losing permanent resident status, a PR holder requires i) an endorsement in their Certificate of Residence (valid for 12 months, costs THB 1,900) and ii) a Non-Quota Immigrant Visa in their passport (valid for 12 months, costs THB 1,900 for single-entry, THB 3,800 for multiple entry).

So the annual cost of maintaining PR is THB 5,700 - the same as an annual Extension of Stay with a multiple-entry Re-Entry Permit. Note, however, that neither the endorsement nor the visa is required if you don't leave Thailand and, unlike Extensions of Stay, are granted pretty well automatically as long as you show up and pay the fees.

As I joke with my friends, "Permanent residents don't need permission to stay in Thailand...we need permission to leave!"

Not always, I applied in December 2009 and I had my interview scheduled 11 months later. Two months after is really quick. Also, don't forget there were no applications at all in 2010. To me, this is a positive sign that something may happen in 2012.

I applied in December 2006 and had my interview in 2007. I don't want to discourage you, but the initial process has been completed and I am still waiting for the PR.

Patience is a virtue.

• 2 weeks later...

Question on expiry date in my Alien Registration Book ("Red Book")

In this book it says I need to "renew" and have local police office sign it once every 5 years.

So it will expire 2 april , I will not be able to go back to Thailand till June so I will be 2 months late.

Will this cause a problem at police station ?

My re-entry permit in my blue PR book does not expire before June so that's not a problem it's just the red Book renewal.

Thanks in advance

Brian

Well, maybe.

Hi stbkk,

Don't suppose it will make you feel any better but we are not the worst off. I am also a 2006er and have just returned from Chaengwattana for the 6 monthly thing. The Salawat that signs it off mentioned out of the blue that of the total backlog of 990 applications awaiting signature by the Interior Minister, there are a handful from 2005. Actually my lawyer told me that a few years ago but I thought at the time he must be mistaken.

I didn't bother asking the officers whether they expected any imminent movement.

I'm only half joking when I say that it isn't possible for the whole lot to be cleared in one go. I have in the past had to sign 1-200 documents at once and my hand almost stopped working. But 990.......

Hello,

I'm in the PR process, but I'm still using company visa & work permit. I just got my one year Visa/WP extension this week. In the past years, I used to report this extension to the Permanent Residence section in order to get their parallel "extension of stay" stamp.

This year my consultant is telling me that this is not required.

Anyone in the same situation can confirm this?

Well, maybe.

Hi stbkk,

Don't suppose it will make you feel any better but we are not the worst off. I am also a 2006er and have just returned from Chaengwattana for the 6 monthly thing. The Salawat that signs it off mentioned out of the blue that of the total backlog of 990 applications awaiting signature by the Interior Minister, there are a handful from 2005. Actually my lawyer told me that a few years ago but I thought at the time he must be mistaken.

I didn't bother asking the officers whether they expected any imminent movement.

I'm only half joking when I say that it isn't possible for the whole lot to be cleared in one go. I have in the past had to sign 1-200 documents at once and my hand almost stopped working. But 990.......

That's the first I've heard about that personally. I can only assume they must have had some paperwork issue that took a while to sort out, and suddenly the trap door slammed shut, locking them out as well.

I also agree with you that I doubt if they'll all be signed in one go. Maybe (if we are VERY lucky) just a few weeks in between each batch?

Hello,

I'm in the PR process, but I'm still using company visa & work permit. I just got my one year Visa/WP extension this week. In the past years, I used to report this extension to the Permanent Residence section in order to get their parallel "extension of stay" stamp.

This year my consultant is telling me that this is not required.

Anyone in the same situation can confirm this?

Yes, the PR section ssid they won't stamp any more if the extension of stay is granted for business reasons. Only if the business section won't stamp any mire (i.e. if I lose my WP) will they be able to stamp again.

Yes. If you have WP then they will not stamp under residency consideration.

I don't think that is quite right as I have a WP but always get that stamp, the latest being a couple of weeks ago. I think they don't do the PR stamp if you originally applied under the business category (as opposed to family) and still have WP.

Sorry, I should have added "still have a work permit and still renewing extension of stay annually"

I believe a document I received today in Thai by registerd letter from immigration which I have to sign indicates that my residency application from 2006 is now on full steam ahead. Any one else received similar.

I may lose my job in the next 3 months and have a a few questions about the consequences on my visa status and pending PR. I am in the PR queue (class of 2009). I applied on the basis of my employment. I have a work permit. Below are my questions:

1) Can I apply for an "extension of stay" if/when I lose my job? If so, when is the right time to apply: before/after my last day of employment, date when my employer cancels my work permit?

2) Am I allowed to stay in Thailand without a job and work permit, but only on the basis of the "extension of stay"?

3) As my PR is in process (application all approved, now with the "main" committee), do I automatically qualify for "extension of stay (EoS)"?

4) If EoS is not an option for me, what other options do I have to stay legally in Thailand without a job? Some important background: I am married to a Thai national and have a son who is also a Thai citizen. However, my PR application is based on my employment (not marriage to Thai). Also, my marriage has been registered now for 2 years.

Thanks!

I may lose my job in the next 3 months and have a a few questions about the consequences on my visa status and pending PR. I am in the PR queue (class of 2009). I applied on the basis of my employment. I have a work permit. Below are my questions:

1) Can I apply for an "extension of stay" if/when I lose my job? If so, when is the right time to apply: before/after my last day of employment, date when my employer cancels my work permit?

2) Am I allowed to stay in Thailand without a job and work permit, but only on the basis of the "extension of stay"?

3) As my PR is in process (application all approved, now with the "main" committee), do I automatically qualify for "extension of stay (EoS)"?

4) If EoS is not an option for me, what other options do I have to stay legally in Thailand without a job? Some important background: I am married to a Thai national and have a son who is also a Thai citizen. However, my PR application is based on my employment (not marriage to Thai). Also, my marriage has been registered now for 2 years.

Thanks!

I don't think you have anything to worry about. You can just go straight from EoS to the "under consideration for Permanent residence" stamp which is renewed every 6 months. I guess this would need to be coordinated by whoever (eg. company lawyer) currently handles your extension of stay and would presumably be handling cancellation of the same. I know someone who was in the same situation as you have described and that is what happened in his case.

Archived