Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

I am also interested to know what kind of ID card Thai Owl will come back with. I think they should all know that a Thai ID card denotes Thai nationality and I would put my money on them having a stab at issuing a foreign labourer's ID card which will be difficult because there are only three choices of nationality. But anything can happen here.

Went to the tesabaan today. They took my photo as per Thai ID cards (with my height in cm behind me), scanned my left and right thumbprints and charged me Bt60. They said they would call me when it's ready (in about 1 month). I was the 2nd one they had ever done. They showed me the first one; it was a French bloke's and he hadn't picked it up after 12 months. The card is pink. Attached is a scan of the template. It clearly says not Thai nationality at the top so it can't be confused with a Thai national's ID card.

ID template.pdf

I am also interested to know what kind of ID card Thai Owl will come back with. I think they should all know that a Thai ID card denotes Thai nationality and I would put my money on them having a stab at issuing a foreign labourer's ID card which will be difficult because there are only three choices of nationality. But anything can happen here.

Went to the tesabaan today. They took my photo as per Thai ID cards (with my height in cm behind me), scanned my left and right thumbprints and charged me Bt60. They said they would call me when it's ready (in about 1 month). I was the 2nd one they had ever done. They showed me the first one; it was a French bloke's and he hadn't picked it up after 12 months. The card is pink. Attached is a scan of the template. It clearly says not Thai nationality at the top so it can't be confused with a Thai national's ID card.

Now that seems allright. And pretty interesting. A pink coloured ID card for non thais. Don't forget to scan it for all of us to see how it looks like in real :)

• Like 1

cheers

keep us posted as soon as you get it

Now that seems allright. And pretty interesting. A pink coloured ID card for non thais. Don't forget to scan it for all of us to see how it looks like in real smile.png

Stateless persons in Thailand have a pink ID-card, so it could be that they have designated it for all foreigners in Thailand.

As the yellow housebook also comes with a Thai ID-number maybe in the near future they will also get a pink-ID card.

• Like 1

I want one of those! :)

The 2004 regulations for issuing these pink ID cards can be found here http://www.scribd.co...hip-in-Thailand on page 91. I don't know if these regulations have been updated since then.

The heading is "ID cards for persons without Thai nationality" but the text specifies these should be issued to persons from minority groups who have reached the age of 12. There is a list of 14 specified minority groups and no. 15 is any other groups the IM may decide to have approved for special permission to reside in the Kingdom via a cabinet resolution. Farangs aren't in any of the 14 groups listed and I don't know, if any group of farangs have been listed through a cabinet resolution.

I can only suppose that the District Office has just looked at the heading, "ID card for those without Thai nationalilty" and decided to issue them without bothering to look up the relevant regulation. Even if it is wrongly issued, I don't think there is any harm in using it for general identification purposes. It doesn't entitle you to any special privileges, nor does it oblige you to remain in a certain district, as do the cards issued to undocumented persons. Just check that your ID number starts with an 8 for permanent resident, or you may find you have been reclassified as a stateless person. Unless, it can be confirmed that pink cards can now be issued to permanent residents, I wouldn't recommend showing it to the police or to Immigration or they might accuse you of having a forgery or of having paid someone off to produce it.

Edited by Arkady
  • Like 1

The 2004 regulations for issuing these pink ID cards can be found here http://www.scribd.co...hip-in-Thailand on page 91. I don't know if these regulations have been updated since then.

The heading is "ID cards for persons without Thai nationality" but the text specifies these should be issued to persons from minority groups who have reached the age of 12. There is a list of 14 specified minority groups and no. 15 is any other groups the IM may decide to have approved for special permission to reside in the Kingdom via a cabinet resolution. Farangs aren't in any of the 14 groups listed and I don't know, if any group of farangs have been listed through a cabinet resolution.

I can only suppose that the District Office has just looked at the heading, "ID card for those without Thai nationalilty" and decided to issue them without bothering to look up the relevant regulation. Even if it is wrongly issued, I don't think there is any harm in using it for general identification purposes. It doesn't entitle you to any special privileges, nor does it oblige you to remain in a certain district, as do the cards issued to undocumented persons. Just check that your ID number starts with an 8 for permanent resident, or you may find you have been reclassified as a stateless person. Unless, it can be confirmed that pink cards can now be issued to permanent residents, I wouldn't recommend showing it to the police or to Immigration or they might accuse you of having a forgery or of having paid someone off to produce it.

Yes, i remember this card as i did all the paper work to my Burma maid to get one.

Thank you for the link. It's a very useful resource.

Well I have received my PR after all (2007 batch) waiting for 5 years. Most of the TV members have received it already. This is for the member/future members who have yet to receive.I went to collect the PR without waiting for the letter to arrive to me since it was not mailed to me and and they offered me to go w/o it. I don't recommend it to others and urge everyone to wait for the letter.

Things which I did correct were:

Had all documents in order and signed properly and Fee in exact amount prepared. I also had the names of mine, my wife's and parents in Thai and in English to give to them to avoid any mistake/s. I reached early and got a Q no. 4. Everything went fine and I was issued a PR book at 1.30P. Since I had been reading on this forum about some sort of ceremony for the presentation I was properly attired but for that day there were 12-13 people in morning. The Top officials were in meeting and signatures would have taken time so no ceremonies. Anyway Many were told to come back and I insisted to stay and wait and finally had the BLUE book in my possession.They told me to check. Upon checking my flight details of last arrival were mentioned incorrectly, which were corrected by them promptly.

What I did wrong :

I missed to check the month of my birth written in abbreviated Thai which I realised when I reached Police Station. I was 6 months Younger. I was able to convince the police guy to have it corrected in the RED book and went back to CW next morning to have month of birth corrected.Blessing in disguise:When I told the officer about month of birth being incorrect she corrected it after showing some annoyance. I insisted that she checks the Computer system and corrects there as well. Well it was her turn now to say sorry to me as I was now 1,000 year older as per their computer system. Well some sort of world record as I lived 1 day as the oldest living person on earth as per Thai computer system.LOL

Suggestion:

Every time when get some official document in Thailand make sure everything is correct not only on physical document but in computer system as well.

It doesn't end here:

Finally I received a letter from CW yeaterday for which I had been waiting for 5 years. since I had secured the PR already I thought of filing it. When opened I realised that while envelope was in my name the letter was in the name of the person next to me in line. I pity that guy as he must have received my letter instead. I am sending the letter to CW with note to send to the correct person, hopefully his wait ends soon. There are a lot of trainees at CW these days and staff is overwhelmed by many years pending work being cleared at one shot.

Edited by tamvine
  • Like 1

Well I have received my PR after all (2007 batch) waiting for 5 years. Most of the TV members have received it already. This is for the member/future members who have yet to receive.I went to collect the PR without waiting for the letter to arrive to me since it was not mailed to me and and they offered me to go w/o it. I don't recommend it to others and urge everyone to wait for the letter.

Things which I did correct were:

Had all documents in order and signed properly and Fee in exact amount prepared. I also had the names of mine, my wife's and parents in Thai and in English to give to them to avoid any mistake/s. I reached early and got a Q no. 4. Everything went fine and I was issued a PR book at 1.30P. Since I had been reading on this forum about some sort of ceremony for the presentation I was properly attired but for that day there were 12-13 people in morning. The Top officials were in meeting and signatures would have taken time so no ceremonies. Anyway Many were told to come back and I insisted to stay and wait and finally had the BLUE book in my possession.They told me to check. Upon checking my flight details of last arrival were mentioned incorrectly, which were corrected by them promptly.

What I did wrong :

I missed to check the month of my birth written in abbreviated Thai which I realised when I reached Police Station. I was 6 months Younger. I was able to convince the police guy to have it corrected in the RED book and went back to CW next morning to have month of birth corrected.Blessing in disguise:When I told the officer about month of birth being incorrect she corrected it after showing some annoyance. I insisted that she checks the Computer system and corrects there as well. Well it was her turn now to say sorry to me as I was now 1,000 year older as per their computer system. Well some sort of world record as I lived 1 day as the oldest living person on earth as per Thai computer system.LOL

Suggestion:

Every time when get some official document in Thailand make sure everything is correct not only on physical document but in computer system as well.

It doesn't end here:

Finally I received a letter from CW yeaterday for which I had been waiting for 5 years. since I had secured the PR already I thought of filing it. When opened I realised that while envelope was in my name the letter was in the name of the person next to me in line. I pity that guy as he must have received my letter instead. I am sending the letter to CW with note to send to the correct person, hopefully his wait ends soon. There are a lot of trainees at CW these days and staff is overwhelmed by many years pending work being cleared at one shot.

Have been to district office yet? that will be another crazy experience if you are unlucky like myselfsmile.png lol

congrats though

Edited by skyaslimit

Hi All

Any news on the 2009 batch approvals ?

2009 & 2011 were supposed to be approved together in a single batch, this is what I read on the forum. However, since there is a new interior minister, we don't really know when he starts signing the applications. 2006-2008 batch was signed by the old interior minister before his departure and it's a pity he couldn't sign the 2009/2011 batch in time. Now the 2009/2011 batch hangs in balance and on the mercy of new interior minister

Hi Folks,

For your info since 2000 only the TRT (Thailand Love Thailand) and the present people in power lead by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra have signed off PR's. I was in class 2000 by the way and got mine in 2002.

If I was a Thai National I would always Vote for the Shinawatra's.

Thanking you.

Win wai.gif

• Like 1

Anyone knows if 2005-2006-2007 batches have been fully cleared, or we still have people in these years that didn't get their approval letter and PR?

They have not been fully cleared. I am a 2007 and I was told that it had not been signed by the minister yet. Mine needed additional information and was approved by the committee in a later batch.

Edited by THAIJAMES

They called me today and I'm going tomorrow to get it.

Hi Thaiowl. I have sent you a PM with the latest info on ID card issuing for PR's. I was at the Amphur this morning. Cheers

Hi guys!

I am really interested in this ID card... any information how to get it? Thanks !!!!

I received the red "Alien" book and the certificate of residence last week.

Today I read on this forum that I should have an ID number which starts with 8 or 6. I checked both books and can't find any number that starts with 8 or 6.

I start to get confused and therefore I like to know on which document or page I can find this ID number (starts with 8 or 6)?

Why is this ID number so important and for what reason I need this number?

By the way, just now I found a number which starts with 8 on my house registration book (13 digits). Is this the ID number?

Edited by PRV

They called me today and I'm going tomorrow to get it.

Hi Thaiowl. I have sent you a PM with the latest info on ID card issuing for PR's. I was at the Amphur this morning. Cheers

Hi guys!

I am really interested in this ID card... any information how to get it? Thanks !!!!

You really just need to go to your local office and apply for it. However there is a high chance that you will be met with blank stares and denials that it's possible. If that happens, unless your Thai is much better than mine (not hard) you really need someone with you that can read all the DOPA manuals to convince them that there is such a thing.

Attached here is the DOPA manual for local offices detailing the process for issuing an ID card for aliens with PR, and a template for the card, also from DOPA.

ÃèÒ§¤ÙèÁ×Í»¯ÔºÑµÔ§Ò¹½èÒ·ÐàºÕ¹.pdf

photo.pdf

In my case, it involved multiple calls between my local office and the Bureau of Registration Administration (BORA), which is under DOPA, to get the computer system to accept the entry of my data so that my thumbprints could be scanned and photo taken. It's quite obvious that this is new for all involved.

I doubt that they will be able to issue your card right away because I was told early last week that there are some software modifications necessary that would take at least a month. That is at DOPA level so it shouldn't make any difference which office you are using. But who knows, maybe your office will find some work around and print the card.

Good luck!

P.S. In case you want some more documents to back you up, you can download the following;

http://www.dopabook.com:8085/ebook/view.jsp?Open_Page=yes&id_PageBook=29896&booktype=2

Refer to page 102-103 which I think is the framework for amendments in 2008

http://www.dopabook.com:8085/ebook/view.jsp?Open_Page=yes&id_PageBook=28209&booktype=2

The details are in pages 81-89 (in Thai numerals) or PDF page numbers 95-103. I think this dates from 2011.

Today I read on this forum that I should have an ID number which starts with 8 or 6. I checked both books and can't find any number that starts with 8 or 6.

I start to get confused and therefore I like to know on which document or page I can find this ID number (starts with 8 or 6)?

By the way, just now I found a number which starts with 8 on my house registration book (13 digits). Is this the ID number?

That number isn't in either certificates, only on your Tabien Baan.

Your ID number will be issued by your district office when you apply for a blue tabian baan as a permanent resident. The number doesn't appear in your Residence Book or Alien Book, probably because they pre-date the system of tabian baans and ID cards, while government departments resist change and protect their turf. It will start with an 8 for PRs. 6 is for temporary residents with a yellow tabian baan. The reason this number is important is that it will be your permanent ID number. It will be your new tax ID number and will appear on your driving licence. If you ever upgrade to Thai citizenship, the same 8 prefix number will be your Thai ID number.

Your ID number will be issued by your district office when you apply for a blue tabian baan as a permanent resident. The number doesn't appear in your Residence Book or Alien Book, probably because they pre-date the system of tabian baans and ID cards, while government departments resist change and protect their turf. It will start with an 8 for PRs. 6 is for temporary residents with a yellow tabian baan. The reason this number is important is that it will be your permanent ID number. It will be your new tax ID number and will appear on your driving licence. If you ever upgrade to Thai citizenship, the same 8 prefix number will be your Thai ID number.

Thanks, it means I have to inform the tax authorities about my new tax id now? I just ask because I pay every month tax to the government. Or should I inform our accountant from the company about the new tax id? Sorry to ask all this questions, I just feel unsure in this matter!

Do I have to inform anybody about my new tax ID number (accountant from our company or the office where I pay tax every month)?

I hope to get some clarification on this point! Good to hear that more and more people receive the permanent resident visa!!!

I called CW and they confirmed my PR is approved ( 2007 batch) and asked me to come on next Tuesday. As I asked them not to send the letter to me I realise that I don't know what documents to carry with me when I go to CW.

Can someone list me the documents required?

4. Original and copy of House Registration (certified true copy) and checking the name of the local police station in which jurisdiction your home is?

Are they talking about the main police station of the district (เขต) or the possible one in the sub-district (แขวง)? is there a document where this police station appears?

Thanks, it means I have to inform the tax authorities about my new tax id now? I just ask because I pay every month tax to the government. Or should I inform our accountant from the company about the new tax id? Sorry to ask all this questions, I just feel unsure in this matter!

Inform the person from your company who files the employee tax returns with the Revenue Department. If they don't know the procedure, they must call the RD to find out. My company continued to use my 9 digit foreigner's temporary tax ID number for a couple of years after I got PR because they and I didn't know I should have switched to my new 13 digit ID number which only got into the RD's system when I started with a new company. The accountant there just automatically took my 13 digit ID number from my tabian baan, as she would do for a Thai, and keyed it in without even realising I had previously filed under another tax ID number and without any reaction from the RD. That didn't cause me any problems but it seems better to get it right from the get go, if you know about it. Anyway the RD has announced recently that it is going to move to a system whereby all individuals have to have 13 digit tax ID numbers which presumably means that all foreigners on WPs are going to have to get on tabian baans, something that would be interesting to see and which would make it practical to issue ID cards to them.

If you intend to apply for citizenship in future, it would also be advisable to switch to your 13 digit ID to ensure the 3 years' tax receipts you will have to submit will be in your ID number to avoid giving them the opportunity to argue that was a different person.

I called CW and they confirmed my PR is approved ( 2007 batch) and asked me to come on next Tuesday. As I asked them not to send the letter to me I realise that I don't know what documents to carry with me when I go to CW.

Can someone list me the documents required?

4. Original and copy of House Registration (certified true copy) and checking the name of the local police station in which jurisdiction your home is?

Are they talking about the main police station of the district (เขต) or the possible one in the sub-district (แขวง)? is there a document where this police station appears?

The house registration that you want to be listed in is obviously issued and updated by the district (เขต). In my case, the police station was referred to by the same name (เขต) and was just opposite the road. My landlord (jao ban) gave me the address of the police station in charge in Thai writing, so CW could issue the letter which is addressed to this police station.

I went to settle myself with the Tabien Baan on Tuesday. The new system at the district, which implemented last weekend, has not been able to move data from the yellow to the blue Tabien Baan yet. The problem is from the nationality. The offiicer was not able to change it from Thai (default) to my nationality. Today, I called to check on the status and it is still the same.....no progress in software modidication. Please ensure you call before going.

I also wanted to be sure about the pink ID card and she said only for Burmese, Cambodian and Laotian.

At an immigration police checkpoint in Tak last week a cop insisted on seeing my passport (driving licence wouldn't do), examined every page and then asked where my visa was. I told him there was no visa because I had an Alien's Registration Book (but not with me). He said, "What does that mean...?" Trying hard not to sound like a smart-ass, I said, "It means I have the right to stay here indefinitely." Fortunately, I had a valid multiple reentry permit in the passport, which he saw and he knew I somehow had to be legal, so he moved on to the next passenger on the bus.

Ironically, the bus was full of Burmese migrant workers and I was probably the only one with a valid Thai photo ID. But I'll be taking my Alien's Book along the next time I visit the far north or west.

• Like 1

At an immigration police checkpoint in Tak last week a cop insisted on seeing my passport (driving licence wouldn't do), examined every page and then asked where my visa was. I told him there was no visa because I had an Alien's Registration Book (but not with me). He said, "What does that mean...?" Trying hard not to sound like a smart-ass, I said, "It means I have the right to stay here indefinitely." Fortunately, I had a valid multiple reentry permit in the passport, which he saw and he knew I somehow had to be legal, so he moved on to the next passenger on the bus.

Ironically, the bus was full of Burmese migrant workers and I was probably the only one with a valid Thai photo ID. But I'll be taking my Alien's Book along the next time I visit the far north or west.

You'll take the Alien Book or the PR book? Do you think they'll know the difference?

There is an urgent need for an Alien ID card for PR holders instead of these flimsy books, I'd think.

You'll take the Alien Book or the PR book? Do you think they'll know the difference?

There is an urgent need for an Alien ID card for PR holders instead of these flimsy books, I'd think.

Some of our freinds from class of 2006 are under the process of geting a card of some kind, I am very much looking forward to see the results during this month.