Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

I think in both cases it is a mere formality, but in case you already have a yellow book you are already in the system (and also do not have to find someone to allow you to be registered at their address). So it is a bit faster.

For people that already have the yellow book, is it just a formality to have the tabien baan changed to a blue book?

To be precise, you don't "get" the blue book. Your name will be entered into the blue book that belongs to the house or appartment. I never had a yellow book, so I don't know how that works but I would assume that you have to update your registration with the District Office from the yellow to the blue book.

For people that already have the yellow book, is it just a formality to have the tabien baan changed to a blue book?

To be precise, you don't "get" the blue book. Your name will be entered into the blue book that belongs to the house or appartment. I never had a yellow book, so I don't know how that works but I would assume that you have to update your registration with the District Office from the yellow to the blue book.

Thank you for clarifying that and it makes sense.

To think of it, I already have a blue book along with the yellow book, but it is empty with no names on (as I am the only one living in my house)

So it should just be a simple matter of transferring my name to the blue book and giving the yellow book back.

Funny tip that the officer gave me 5 years ago when I applied for the yellow book. She said when you photocopy the yellow book, it looks exactly like a blue book (because no color)

I have used it as such for anything that requires a blue book and no one has ever questioned me about it.

Thank you for clarifying that and it makes sense.

To think of it, I already have a blue book along with the yellow book, but it is empty with no names on (as I am the only one living in my house)

So it should just be a simple matter of transferring my name to the blue book and giving the yellow book back.

Funny tip that the officer gave me 5 years ago when I applied for the yellow book. She said when you photocopy the yellow book, it looks exactly like a blue book (because no color)

I have used it as such for anything that requires a blue book and no one has ever questioned me about it.

Yes, the transfer should be easy. Please report back here how it went.

regarding transferring from yellow to blue tabien baan - for me, the official at the district office (Wattana on Thonglor) initially said that foreigners aren't allowed in the blue tabien baan. Had to take it to her boss - who ok'd it. Obviously they don't come across it too often, so you may have to be insistent.

Many thanks for all the very helpful replies and advice here.

For the Tabien Baan Blue Book - is there a time requirement for completion of this task (e.g. similar to the time requirements of 30 days for the Immigration PR Blue Book and then 7 days for the District Police Office Red Book)?

Also, in regard to the PR fee at Immigration (191,400 THB in my case) - is it best to bring cash - or - perhaps a Thai Bank cashiers check? Does the PR Unit have a preferred method of payment? Thanks...

regarding transferring from yellow to blue tabien baan - for me, the official at the district office (Wattana on Thonglor) initially said that foreigners aren't allowed in the blue tabien baan. Had to take it to her boss - who ok'd it. Obviously they don't come across it too often, so you may have to be insistent.

Or possibly she was new. I was added to my wife's tabian baan with no problem at all at the same office in 2012 after I got my PR. They all thought it was great fun to put a foreigner on, major amusement all around.

For the Tabien Baan Blue Book - is there a time requirement for completion of this task (e.g. similar to the time requirements of 30 days for the Immigration PR Blue Book and then 7 days for the District Police Office Red Book)?

Also, in regard to the PR fee at Immigration (191,400 THB in my case) - is it best to bring cash - or - perhaps a Thai Bank cashiers check? Does the PR Unit have a preferred method of payment? Thanks...

Have you already received the approval letter?

All -

I've never posted but do follow this thread. A lot of good but often mis-leading information.

Hope the following helps. My Immigration lawyer contacted me today to inform me that my PR was approved (Class of 2009) and signed off by the Interior Ministry last week. I don't have a letter but I am now instructed by the Immigration officer to report to Thai Immigration at Chaeng Wattana next week to proceed with getting my PR. The date and time have been confirmed.

I was instructed to bring original and certified copies of my passport with non-immigrant visa, last departure card, work permit, house/condo registration, and of course 191,400 THB (as I applied under the working category). Additionally, for my condo/house registration I have both blue and yellow books issued by local khet/amphur. The yellow one has my name officially listed in it but the blue does not.

As indicated above I did use a lawyer (the several others that I know who also applied used one as well). In my (and their case) there was no way to dedicate all the time and energy and effort (back 6 years ago) to get all of the documents, signatures, visit offices and whatever else without one. I didn't have the time or patience for it then.

I am guardedly optimistic that things will go smoothly but I am prepared for the uncertain (as tends to happen here). I question the value of getting it (since I was later married to a Thai) but I figure that since I have gone this far that I should do it and the large fee doesn't have any impact on me. If it did, I likely wouldn't go through with it.

If any questions I would be happy to answer.

Indeed. Things are starting to move. I am from 2011 batch and no more reside at the address given while making the application. Will really appreciate if others from 2011 batch can post once any of em receive the approval letter

If I remember correctly, I was given two weeks from receipt of the PR book to get registered in a blue tabien baan.

Edit: Oops, I just saw THAIJAMES' posting of the letter, which does say 15 days.

I brought cash money.

Edited by onthemoon

Regarding the red book, I am trying to obtain the name and address of the local police station in Chiang Mai so that i can give the address to immigration for them to write a letter. I have been to 2 local police stations and after spending more than an hour at each talking to the supervisor, they had no idea about the red book or where to get it.

Called immigration for advice, and they talked and informed the supervisor that it was their station's duty to issue it. But the supervisor insisted that he had no information about this or about how to get a red book.

Anyone in Chiang Mai that has gotten the red book have any idea where this should be done ?

The problem is they did not know who should be in charge of this process or who to call for more advice.

Thanks ubonjoe

For reference purposes, the police office that processes alien certificates in Chiang Mai is the police station inside the moat at the Sunday Walking Street "Muang Chiang Mai" police station.

They have a dedicated desk for that purpose (must not be very busy). The guy dealing with the process was not there, he just had a back surgery and was recovering in the hospital. I talked to him over the phone to confirm everything.

(Hopefully he will be able to come back to work within the seven days required after I get my PR on Thursday 555)

A very helpful member of this forum, mentioned it is a good idea to bring a bottle of whiskey to get things moving and avoid problems.

I would think that would be the one that is the provincial police headquarters.

Spot on again ubonjoe as always.

I did mine in Kan years ago and they had the Red Books, loads of them, but had to dig up a file (the only one they had) on how to fill it out. Took 1 hour or more to find that file and then a new form as well. After that very easy really. Cost 800/- Baht.

The Blue House Book was a pain to put my name in it, even though my Thai wife owns the house and came with me, but a phone call to my lawyer and a re-visit back the following week solved the problem. You get a number starting with ID No. 8 and twelve numbers after that, total 13 numbers.

Please do so within the time allocated i.e PR Blue Book, Red Book within 7 days at your provincial police headquarters as ubonjoe mentioned and then your name into the Blue House Book if possible.

Hope this is helpful to you all.

Question: If you have a Yellow House Book could you change that to a Blue House Book once you have a PR and a Red Book ?

Win

Edited by Kan Win

It took me months to get in blue tabien baan after getting my residence and alien books. I had to negotiate with my landlord and, after he had reluctantly agreed, he had to arrange for a family member to transfer himself to be the 'householder' of the apartment building which had no one registered in it. When it was eventually done, he refused to give me even a copy of the blue book, so I had to apply at the district office for temporary certificates that confirm you are on the tabien baan but they are only valid for 3 months. When I moved to my own place a couple of years later, I was so glad to put all that behind me.

You should be able to change a yellow tabien baan to a blue one but only, if no one else is registered at your address. Otherwise, you will have to be entered into the blue book for that house.

The ID no. starting with an 8- is the same one you will use, if you become a citizen.

• Like 1

I would go to the biggest police station you can find in Chiang Mai. I would think that would be the one that is the provincial police headquarters.

Thailand is divided into tambons, districts, provinces and regions.

The correct police station is the "district" police station, which in hindsight makes sense because a lot of official bureaucratic documentation in handled at the district level, for example tabien naan (blue book).

Hi all,

I went to Immigration Chaeng Wattana yesterday to get my PR. I brought my passport, work permit, house blue book (they didn't seem to care about the yellow one), pictures, and 191,402 THB. They checked all of my documents against their file. Incidentally, their file size, for each applicant, is several inches thick. Whatever due diligence they do seems to be quite thorough.

Once they are done checking the documents, they fill out another form for the Blue PR booklet, then you get fingerprinted, digital picture taken, sign a bunch of papers and pay the fee (you get a receipt). Generally, you are supposed to get the PR booklet back the same day, however, due to backlog, they requested that the passport be held and would be given back the following week along with the PR booklet and other documents required to get your name in your blue house book and for the police registration. Once the Blue house registration book is entered with my name in it, then I am to report back to Immigration at CW with my passport and the blue book to receive the multiple entry/exit endorsement that is required to legally leave the country. I am not allowed to leave the country without it. Like the PR this is expensive as well, another 6K THB in total for a multiple entry. At that point everything should be done and settled.

The process seemed to go quite smoothly...so I continue to keep my fingers crossed for good luck.

Hi all,

I went to Immigration Chaeng Wattana yesterday to get my PR. I brought my passport, work permit, house blue book (they didn't seem to care about the yellow one), pictures, and 191,402 THB. They checked all of my documents against their file. Incidentally, their file size, for each applicant, is several inches thick. Whatever due diligence they do seems to be quite thorough.

Once they are done checking the documents, they fill out another form for the Blue PR booklet, then you get fingerprinted, digital picture taken, sign a bunch of papers and pay the fee (you get a receipt). Generally, you are supposed to get the PR booklet back the same day, however, due to backlog, they requested that the passport be held and would be given back the following week along with the PR booklet and other documents required to get your name in your blue house book and for the police registration. Once the Blue house registration book is entered with my name in it, then I am to report back to Immigration at CW with my passport and the blue book to receive the multiple entry/exit endorsement that is required to legally leave the country. I am not allowed to leave the country without it. Like the PR this is expensive as well, another 6K THB in total for a multiple entry. At that point everything should be done and settled.

The process seemed to go quite smoothly...so I continue to keep my fingers crossed for good luck.

Thank you for the report, I was sorry to hear that you did not receive your blue book on the same day. Flying in from Chiang Mai, I would hate to have to fly back one more time to pick up the PR :(

• Like 1

Yes, it is a bit of a bummer. My lawyer was quite surprised, asked nicely if it could be done earlier by chance, but there was nothing she could do. At the end of the day you just have to smile and accept it. Unfortunately, It creates a bit of a backlog as she had already made arrangements with my local district police and administrative office to get my name in the blue house book and get the police registration/red book processed. In fact, the local police officer called while we were still at immigration asking what time we would come.

Anyway, it is what it is. You just have to let the process work itself out.

Hi all,

Thank you for the report, I was sorry to hear that you did not receive your blue book on the same day. Flying in from Chiang Mai, I would hate to have to fly back one more time to pick up the PR sad.png

Hence I will not be leaving the country without the endorsement. Anecdotally, I asked whether I should go through the Foreign or Thai lane at Suwannaphum Immigration. The officer said I still needed to use the Foreign lane.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Hence I will not be leaving the country without the endorsement. Anecdotally, I asked whether I should go through the Foreign or Thai lane at Suwannaphum Immigration. The officer said I still needed to use the Foreign lane.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

I have been using the Thai lane (if the queue was shorter) ever since I received the PR. Sometimes there are officials directing the people and show me to the Foreigners side, but when I show them the Blue Book, they always allow me to use the Thai side. I have never had a problem with the immigration officers either.

In fact, I do believe that we (the PR holders) have a right to use the Thai lane if we choose to, but I have no hard evidence, only anecdotal experience over the past couple of years.

I also have used the Thai channel for years. I just stand there with the blue book clearly visible in my hand so I don't get pulled out of the queue. The problem is that foreign tourists see you and follow you, then think you're an axxhole when you try to warn them...

• Like 1