Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

I had a similar issue. In my case the local district office needs to request a confirmation letter of some type to CW Immigration, who will then send it back and then my name will be put in the Blue Baan Tambien book. At the local district office i met the head person and he signed off on the request that is sent to CW. Everyone was nice and professional. They said it will take ~ 2-4 weeks. Since I already had my Yellow book both Thai police and Immigration had no issue providing me my official PR Book and Red Alien book, all with proper stamps, and multiple entry/exit endorsements. I'm in possession of all the books now. My lawyer will follow up and the house registration.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Thanks,

my main concern was doing the re-entry, but since I have a yellow book then it should be ok.

I think you should be fine. Ideally they would just transfer the information from the Yellow to Blue book but you just have to patiently allow the process to work itself out. It can be nerve wracking but it is what it is.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I used to apply for re-entry permits right at the airport before a flight. I found that much more convenient than waiting the long lines at Chiang Mai immigration.

Is that still possible for PR holders or can it now only be done at local immigration ahead of time?

Thank you in advance for any information.

I used to apply for re-entry permits right at the airport before a flight. I found that much more convenient than waiting the long lines at Chiang Mai immigration.

Is that still possible for PR holders or can it now only be done at local immigration ahead of time?

As a PR, you don't get a "re-entry permit" as you got on your no-imm visa. You got an endorsement in your blue PR book, and get a non-quota immigrant visa in your passport. I doubt that they do that at the airport.

In Bangkok, you also wouldn't stand in line at the re-entry queue at CW, but go to the PR department. Never took look than 10 minutes for me. I don't know whether Chiang Mai also has different queues at immigration.

As a PR, you don't get a "re-entry permit" as you got on your no-imm visa. You got an endorsement in your blue PR book, and get a non-quota immigrant visa in your passport. I doubt that they do that at the airport.

In Bangkok, you also wouldn't stand in line at the re-entry queue at CW, but go to the PR department. Never took look than 10 minutes for me. I don't know whether Chiang Mai also has different queues at immigration.

onthemoom,

Thank you for the information. I will try to go directly to the PR desk in Chiang Mai to see if they will handle it.

I am going to renew my drivers license on monday, I have been renewing it since last 10 years with my passport and non visa, this will be first time I am going to use my PR book and Blue thabian baan, my current passport is blank because I am not leaving the Kingdom, any insights? any one have done this after gaining PR? I am in Bangkok and the related office is Morchit.

I am going to renew my drivers license on monday, I have been renewing it since last 10 years with my passport and non visa, this will be first time I am going to use my PR book and Blue thabian baan, my current passport is blank because I am not leaving the Kingdom, any insights? any one have done this after gaining PR? I am in Bangkok and the related office is Morchit.

You need to bring your passport, reddish alien book, blue PR book, blue tabien baan, your old driver's licence, a copy of each, and two pictures.

Or you bring your link ID card and tabien baan and copies, and the pictures, which is easier. Just like the Thai people.

Also bring a lot of time, you will have to undergo some tests (eyesight, reaction) and have to watch a video about traffic rules. All of this make require waiting in queues.

You need to bring your passport, reddish alien book, blue PR book, blue tabien baan, your old driver's licence, a copy of each, and two pictures.

Or you bring your link ID card and tabien baan and copies, and the pictures, which is easier. Just like the Thai people.

Also bring a lot of time, you will have to undergo some tests (eyesight, reaction) and have to watch a video about traffic rules. All of this make require waiting in queues.

So it does'nt matter if my passport is blank? right?

No problem with no re-entry endorsement in the passport, at least at Sukhumvit where I renewed mine a couple of months ago.

did they changed your passport number with your 13 digit assigned number as of thabian baan?

As a PR, you don't need a visa. If the particular officer you talk to doesn't know that, ask him to have his superior call the District Office or Immigration.

And yes, they will use the 13-digit ID number that you will also find in your link ID card, so you don't need to bring all these books.

As a PR, you don't need a visa. If the particular officer you talk to doesn't know that, ask him to have his superior call the District Office or Immigration.

And yes, they will use the 13-digit ID number that you will also find in your link ID card, so you don't need to bring all these books.

Been there @ 9:30, que 10 min. Alien book,PR book, Thabian Baan required, no photos, passport or visa issue, Changed the name in Thai as well as 13 digit ID number on database 10 min. Eye & reaction test, que 20 min. went to watch video 1 hr. Back to the first counter, new que waited 15 min. Picture taken, new license issued, out of office appox. 11:30.

Very efficiant, Bangkok, Morchit. ( may be because staff know the documentation )

Been there @ 9:30, que 10 min. Alien book,PR book, Thabian Baan required, no photos, passport or visa issue, Changed the name in Thai as well as 13 digit ID number on database 10 min. Eye & reaction test, que 20 min. went to watch video 1 hr. Back to the first counter, new que waited 15 min. Picture taken, new license issued, out of office appox. 11:30.

Very efficiant, Bangkok, Morchit. ( may be because staff know the documentation )

Good to hear, and thanks for the feedback!

With 13 digit ID number already on your driving licence, there is no reason to change anything to do with your driving licence when you get Thai citizenship as the licence doesn't specify nationality, until the licence expires of course. Still strange why they don't use the 13 digit ID to automatically issue an alien ID card instead of the residence book and alien book. But that would make the people who issue those books at Immigration and in police stations redundant, so their bosses will fight tooth and nail to keep these relics of the 1920s going.

• Like 1

Can someone please explain what is a 'link id' card and how does a PR holder get this card?

You mean a pink ID-card, which you can apply for at the amphur. Use the search function, there is a thread about it on how to acquire it. (It is something new, so many amphurs will not be familiar with it).

• Like 1

Can someone please explain what is a 'link id' card and how does a PR holder get this card?

"link ID" is a typing mistake, I meant "pink ID". You bring your various books to your District Office (Khet in Bangkok, Amphur outside) where the Thais get their ID card, and apply for it.

It is discussed here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/590057-thai-non-thai-id-card-for-permanent-residents/

• Like 1

Reporting from 2011 Batch. Yesterday I had an appointment of picking up my PR. I arrived by 11 PM with all required documents and photos as per mentioned earlier in this thread. This is to confirm that all of those are really required. There was a constant stream of people coming to pick up the PR. All in all it took around 1 hour for me to finish the fingerprinting, signing and payment of fee. However, I wasn't given the PR booklet or anything on spot. They say that they require 3 days to process everything. So they just issued me the receipt and asked me to come again on Monday to pickup passport, PR booklet and letters.

• Like 1

Reporting from 2011 Batch. Yesterday I had an appointment of picking up my PR. I arrived by 11 PM with all required documents and photos as per mentioned earlier in this thread. This is to confirm that all of those are really required. There was a constant stream of people coming to pick up the PR. All in all it took around 1 hour for me to finish the fingerprinting, signing and payment of fee. However, I wasn't given the PR booklet or anything on spot. They say that they require 3 days to process everything. So they just issued me the receipt and asked me to come again on Monday to pickup passport, PR booklet and letters.

Congratulations! You're almost done.

For me in 2012 the whole process was done the same day but also involved waiting around for most of the day so this sounds better to me.

• Like 1

I am going to collect my PR tomorrow. I am married to a Thai citizen and was married to her at the time of application. Can anyone please confirm that the fee is 95,700 Baht or could it be 191,400 depending on how I applied. (I remember a recent similar question on this or another topic but am unable to find it).

I am going to collect my PR tomorrow. I am married to a Thai citizen and was married to her at the time of application. Can anyone please confirm that the fee is 95,700 Baht or could it be 191,400 depending on how I applied. (I remember a recent similar question on this or another topic but am unable to find it).

If you were married to a Thai when you applied and had that documented with your application you will pay the lower fee.

I applied in December 2011, appeared before the interview board in March 2012, and my packet was forwarded to Interior Ministry on September 20th, 2012. Although married to a Thai, I applied under the busines category. No word heard again until 17 June 2015, when my office received a letter from Immigration (dated 2 June), telling me that I had been approved, and instructing me to make an appointment to come pick up my PR book. I went in on 2 July, and completed the process in about 50 minutes, of which 40 minutes was waiting, and with two five-minute sessions of activity.

Somewhat random observations:

1. I paid 191,402 baht. Yes - note the "2" at the end. After collecting the scrip, they issued me witha green receipt, with 191,400 in the top area - and 191,402 at the bottom line - and they wanted the two extra baht!! I guess for the cost of the receipt and the ink used.

2. You get your right thumbprint scanned once, and then also ink finger-printed - with one thumbprint in their ledger book, one on a white and red form, and one on the photo page of the PR book. You also sign each of those - and they paste one copy of yoiur photo on each.

3. Since applying in 2011, I got a new passport - in October 2012. It has no entry or exit stamps - I have not left Thailand since August 2008. But - my passport had my 2008 departure card in it. The processing lady had to fill out a block for my incoming Flight Number - and she started to ask me if I knew that number. I rolled my eyes to my fixer lady, and then the official laughed, and said something to the effect "I guess not... but I can look it up in the computer".

4. I was accompanied by my "fixer" lady - some things she picked up: I received a score of 55 out of 100 points - you need to exceed 50 points to be approved. I received zero points for education - even though I had submitted a transcript that clearly stated that I had received a BS degree. But - it was a transcript from the US Military Academy - and they evidently treated that as just "military schooling", with no adcademic value. She was told that the current approval cycle will cover all applications submitted through 2012 - and that they expect to be clearing the batch of 2013 applications before year-end. She said that they had mentioned that on the previous day, they had collected more than 2,000,000 baht in fees - so that is at least 11 approvals, and probably closer to 15.

At end of my session (Thursday), they told us that my fixer had to come back on Monday (today) to pick up the booklet - and that she then had to have me obtain police red book within two additional days - because both processes must be completed with seven calendar days, and they kept the clock running since 2 July. No explanation for keeping the book - I'm asuming that a signatory official was missing.

In any case, my fixer picked up my booklet at Immigration this morning, and had me meet her at my local police station (Prakhanong) - which is walking distance from my home. She needed two additional copies of my wifes ID card, signed - so my wife accompanied me. I spent a total of about an hour at the police station - again, about 50 minutes of time waiting. I did have to go upstairs for a full set of fingerprinting. They asked for my parents names - which my fixer translated into Thai. I signed the red book - and they then collected a 1,200 baht fee - I think 800 baht for the book, and 400 baht for the fingerprinting.. I also stuck 300 baht into a "tip can" on her desk - but she had never even looked at it (but she did waii me afterward). But - once again - no book today - come back tomorrow. So - my fixer picks it up tomorrow, and then takes everything to Wattana district office - to pave the way for my wife and I paying a vist sometime thsi week, to add me to her tabiehn bahn.

Process complete!

Cheers,

MS

Edited by maisodni
  • Like 1

I applied in December 2011, appeared before the interview board in March 2012, and my packet was forwarded to Interior Ministry on September 20th, 2012. Although married to a Thai, I applied under the busines category. No word heard again until 17 June 2015, when my office received a letter from Immigration (dated 2 June), telling me that I had been approved, and instructing me to make an appointment to come pick up my PR book. I went in on 2 July, and completed the process in about 50 minutes, of which 40 minutes was waiting, and with two five-minute sessions of activity.

Somewhat random observations:

1. I paid 191,402 baht. Yes - note the "2" at the end. After collecting the scrip, they issued me witha green receipt, with 191,400 in the top area - and 191,402 at the bottom line - and they wanted the two extra baht!! I guess for the cost of the receipt and the ink used.

2. You get your right thumbprint scanned once, and then also ink finger-printed - with one thumbprint in their ledger book, one on a white and red form, and one on the photo page of the PR book. You also sign each of those - and they paste one copy of yoiur photo on each.

3. Since applying in 2011, I got a new passport - in October 2012. It has no entry or exit stamps - I have not left Thailand since August 2008. But - my passport had my 2008 departure card in it. The processing lady had to fill out a block for my incoming Flight Number - and she started to ask me if I knew that number. I rolled my eyes to my fixer lady, and then the official laughed, and said something to the effect "I guess not... but I can look it up in the computer".

4. I was accompanied by my "fixer" lady - some things she picked up: I received a score of 55 out of 100 points - you need to exceed 50 points to be approved. I received zero points for education - even though I had submitted a transcript that clearly stated that I had received a BS degree. But - it was a transcript from the US Military Academy - and they evidently treated that as just "military schooling", with no adcademic value. She was told that the current approval cycle will cover all applications submitted through 2012 - and that they expect to be clearing the batch of 2013 applications before year-end. She said that they had mentioned that on the previous day, they had collected more than 2,000,000 baht in fees - so that is at least 11 approvals, and probably closer to 15.

At end of my session (Thursday), they told us that my fixer had to come back on Monday (today) to pick up the booklet - and that she then had to have me obtain police red book within two additional days - because both processes must be completed with seven calendar days, and they kept the clock running since 2 July. No explanation for keeping the book - I'm asuming that a signatory official was missing.

In any case, my fixer picked up my booklet at Immigration this morning, and had me meet her at my local police station (Prakhanong) - which is walking distance from my home. She needed two additional copies of my wifes ID card, signed - so my wife accompanied me. I spent a total of about an hour at the police station - again, about 50 minutes of time waiting. I did have to go upstairs for a full set of fingerprinting. They asked for my parents names - which my fixer translated into Thai. I signed the red book - and they then collected a 1,200 baht fee - I think 800 baht for the book, and 400 baht for the fingerprinting.. I also stuck 300 baht into a "tip can" on her desk - but she had never even looked at it (but she did waii me afterward). But - once again - no book today - come back tomorrow. So - my fixer picks it up tomorrow, and then takes everything to Wattana district office - to pave the way for my wife and I paying a vist sometime thsi week, to add me to her tabiehn bahn.

Process complete!

Cheers,

MS

congrats, fixer?????

Hi batch 2011 so this month 2015 this happened:

Appointment July 1st 2015

Pickup blue book July 2 next day

Police station Prakanong July 2

Police station Prakanong Pickup red book July 6

Ket Suan luang Tabien baan move from yellow to blue July 6 will take about 1 month they have to send to immigration to confirm and get back.

Inquire about Pink Thai ID card for non Thai: answer no problem it takes 2 to 3 weeks, we know. "When you pickup blue book we process".

Go back to immigration for endorsement at 4pm on same day less than 30 minutes but officer advise to come before 3pm next time.

Ask about Tabien baan 1 month: normal process sir, everything all right.

All officers was courteous and help. Smooth process.

Just be careful to have your name in Thai writing same everywhere (got problem with yellow Tabien baan). The good idea is to start with one document like work permit and use this spelling all the time.

I did apply for business reason.

Next step Nationality. All my Thai friends congratulate me and say to me: welcome again, feel home, Indi...

I have to thanks Camerata, Akady and on the moon and probably others to keep this topic relevant and interesting.

I'm proud to live in Thailand and surrounded by great people.

Got 200 likes and 70 congratulations comments on FB almost all of them from Thai people.

• Like 2

Ket Suan luang Tabien baan move from yellow to blue July 6 will take about 1 month they have to send to immigration to confirm and get back.

Inquire about Pink Thai ID card for non Thai: answer no problem it takes 2 to 3 weeks, we know. "When you pickup blue book we process".

Go back to immigration for endorsement at 4pm on same day less than 30 minutes but officer advise to come before 3pm next time.

Just be careful to have your name in Thai writing same everywhere (got problem with yellow Tabien baan). The good idea is to start with one document like work permit and use this spelling all the time.

Next step Nationality. All my Thai friends congratulate me and say to me: welcome again, feel home, Indi...

I have to thanks Camerata, Akady and on the moon and probably others to keep this topic relevant and interesting.

Got 200 likes and 70 congratulations comments on FB almost all of them from Thai people.

Congratulations and welcome to the 'Thai PR Club'.

You mention the pink Thai ID card for non-Thai folks, and from your comments looks like you live within an amphur which knows how to process this and very willing to process it.

My amphur is Chiang Mai and the amphur office is totally unhelpful on this item, the lady in charge says there is no such thing and never will be and from there she refuses to discuss it any further, just ignores and attempts at further discussion. She doesn't speak English at all, but there are no language misunderstandings because my Thai adult son (made himself familiar with the subject) did all the talking in full Thai.

So, did you by any chance pick up any documentation (probably in Thai), about the policies on this subject and the process. If so would you please share.

You mention the pink Thai ID card for non-Thai folks, and from your comments looks like you live within an amphur which knows how to process this and very willing to process it.

My amphur is Chiang Mai and the amphur office is totally unhelpful on this item, the lady in charge says there is no such thing and never will be and from there she refuses to discuss it any further, just ignores and attempts at further discussion. She doesn't speak English at all, but there are no language misunderstandings because my Thai adult son (made himself familiar with the subject) did all the talking in full Thai.

So, did you by any chance pick up any documentation (probably in Thai), about the policies on this subject and the process. If so would you please share.

The documents and policy in Thai are here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/590057-thai-non-thai-id-card-for-permanent-residents/?p=5740479

Somewhere in that topic, there is also the phone number of the Ministry of the Interior. They are very helpful and they will call to the lady in Chiang Mai and explain it to her. I don''t know whether they speak English, but it is always better to speak Thai when dealing with Thai authorities.

The documents and policy in Thai are here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/590057-thai-non-thai-id-card-for-permanent-residents/?p=5740479

Somewhere in that topic, there is also the phone number of the Ministry of the Interior. They are very helpful and they will call to the lady in Chiang Mai and explain it to her. I don''t know whether they speak English, but it is always better to speak Thai when dealing with Thai authorities.

Thank you.