Criminal Court postpones trial against Abhisit and Phra Suthep

webfact

Well, unlike some other well-known "leaders", at least they turned up at Court.

Mr. T did turn up for court but when the going got tough, the tough of going. When the enemy are in control best option is retreat, not surrender.

Hit and run coward comes to mind, then became the biggest S##T stirrer in the world.

No survivalist comes to mind, especially since he was ousted from power by a coup. S##t stirrer is not the right expression, he was and is fighting a guerilla war against the elite who did not/do not like him.

In the art of warfare, political or otherwise, retreat is not a disgrace. He retreated from Thailand which was a very wise move. Let the enemy think they have won, but they will never win against a growing unrest amongst the population. People are waking up but are still muzzled from speaking out, the tide will soon turn in favour of the common man.

Ousted from illegally occupying the post of caretaker PM by the military, after resigning and then re-appointing himself without authority is hardly a coup - although lots like to dress it up as. The enemy weren't in control - one of his was. But still chose to run rather than appeal the conviction and of course avoid the other 15 more serious charges that were coming down the line.

Guerilla war - like as in "ill be there right next you when the first shots are fired" - but you'll be in the firing line and I'll be in Paris shopping.

Against the "elite" - the Shins are part of the elite. They are billionaires who suddenly acquired large amounts of vast wealth - from monopolies, dodgy deals, tax avoidance, and who knows what else. They are only interested in themselves and want to push the "old money" elites out.

Do you really think the Shins are remotely interested in the "common man" or improving the lot of the poor? Look at the last 3 years and open your eyes to what they're really all about.

People are waking up - and many now see the Shins for the corrupt, lying, gang that has lined their own, family and friends pockets for far too long. Simply another gang of hisos trying to turn the country into their own fiefdom.

I really hope Thailand becomes a true democracy, with a lot less corruption, and much fairer society. But one things for sure, the Shins would never deliver that.

********I said the country is feudal but the Shins did make an attempt to modernize the place rather than your old elite trying their best to keep the yolk on the serfs, and are still doing so. The Shin clan were corrupt but who is innocent these days, very few indeed. I cannot point a finger at a single individual when the world is full of crooks and scoundrels.

Was Ab and Suthep any different from Thaksin?

Are the generals progressive or regressive?

Every country in ASEAN is corrupt, every one, I have lived in all of them.

Since you can't retell Thai history correctly, I don't believe you when you say you have lived in every ASEAN country (week-long holidays don't count). I think you have real problem telling the truth. I'm going to put you on my 'ignore' list now as you are not credible.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And this is a surprise to anyone?

Well actually, now that you ask, yes it is.

K. Suthep should have gone to court around December 12th last year to hear and acknowledge the charges of premeditated murder regarding a few specific cases, just like he already heard and acknowledged them at the AOG office before. He tried to postpone as being somewhat busy at the time, but the government inspired the police to get some arrest warrants and get hold of Suthep. It would seem he was difficult to locate, although at one time the police dropped copies of the arrest warrant above the location he was believed to be at. approximately.

Finally the Army took him in and kept him a week to lecture him on good behaveour and (Thai) happiness and following chacha-ed with him to court to finally hear and acknowledge those charges. That was begin of June. The court then set the 28th of July as date for the trial to commence.

To now hear about a further postponement is strange. I assume that some of the proceedings require for prosecuters and defence council to be present, but wasn't there more work which could be prepared without charges being acknowledged?

One may wonder about the cases were our illustrious criminal fugitive's presence is required to hear and acknowledge some charges. I'm afraid the court might first need to be able to 'find' the files again rolleyes.gif

No, I didn't miss it nor did I forget it . The case he turned up for in June 2014 was the for the case he filed against DSI's Tharit (and three other DSI Officials) not the one where he is defending himself against pre meditated murder charges.

They are two separate cases.

Suthep Thaugsuban, former deputy prime minister, appeared at the Criminal Court Monday morning to defend his role in cracking rioters in 2010 which resulted in many redshirt rioters dead and injured.

He testified in the court for a case he filed against Department of Special Investigation (DSI) former director-general Tarit Pengdit and three other DSI senior officials of malfeasance and power abuse for indicting murder and attempted murder charges on former premier Abhisit Vejjajiva and him in connection with the legitimate crackdown of rioters between April and May 2010.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/732950-suthep-defends-his-riot-control-role-in-2010/

Oh ... It was this one that you forget then. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/729298-suthep-freed-on-bail-for-charges-relating-to-2010-killings/?p=7890468

Embarrassing, isn't it.

Not embarassing at all - if you had actually read my post in the link you so helpfully provided above you would have seen that it refers to abhisit and suthep acknowledging the charges on October 31st 2013, just as I said in my previous post.

Now that really is embarassing

Edited by fab4

Before it goes any farther lets get it straight what this court appearance was all about, to use the official words: " For verification of documents and evidence"

If you remember back not that far when Yingluck refused to appear as ordered and sent her lawyers in her place she was then refused full access to the evidence against her because she did not appear in person.

That it seems is the law.

After much wringing of hands and tears she was eventually given the evidence.

By turning up as requested Abhisit and Suthep and their lawyers now have full access to the evidence against them and have until the 29th August to study that evidence before their next court appearance. They have also shown their respect for the court and the law by complying as they should.

Before it goes any further, let's get it straight that this is a court appearance for verification and evidence in a murder trial, the beginnings of which started in October 2013. Since then Suthep has avoided attending court until this appearance because he was too busy co plotting an overthrow of the previous government protesting about the former government.

That, it seems, is a version of the law that is not applied to all.

It seems that you missed Suthep attending court in June this year. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/732950-suthep-defends-his-riot-control-role-in-2010/

Ahh ... no you didn't miss it. You just forgot. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/732950-suthep-defends-his-riot-control-role-in-2010/?p=7948992

Before it goes any further...........................................clap2.gif

Well, well, well, it seems even the always 100% correct pipkins can be wrong sometimes ! cheesy.gif

Credibility level below zero now.

touche, whybother, touche !

I don't normally bother with your posts but this one really needs a reply - see posts 40 and 63 and then think before posting in future.

Touche? No way.

No, I didn't miss it nor did I forget it . The case he turned up for in June 2014 was the for the case he filed against DSI's Tharit (and three other DSI Officials) not the one where he is defending himself against pre meditated murder charges.

They are two separate cases.

Suthep Thaugsuban, former deputy prime minister, appeared at the Criminal Court Monday morning to defend his role in cracking rioters in 2010 which resulted in many redshirt rioters dead and injured.

He testified in the court for a case he filed against Department of Special Investigation (DSI) former director-general Tarit Pengdit and three other DSI senior officials of malfeasance and power abuse for indicting murder and attempted murder charges on former premier Abhisit Vejjajiva and him in connection with the legitimate crackdown of rioters between April and May 2010.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/732950-suthep-defends-his-riot-control-role-in-2010/

Oh ... It was this one that you forget then. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/729298-suthep-freed-on-bail-for-charges-relating-to-2010-killings/?p=7890468

Embarrassing, isn't it.

Not embarassing at all - if you had actually read my post in the link you so helpfully provided above you would have seen that it refers to abhisit and suthep acknowledging the charges on October 31st 2013, just as I said in my previous post.

Now that really is embarassing

If you had actually read the OP of the thread you posted in, you would see that Suthep HAD attended court to acknowledge charges since December last year.

... sent from my phone.

Abhisit, Suthep appear in court for red shirt protest crackdown trial

By Digital Content

14065234367139.jpg

BANGKOK, July 28 -- Democrat party leader and former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and former deputy prime minister Suthep Thaugsuban appeared in Thailand's Criminal Court this morning for trial in the cases in which they were accused of ordering crackdowns on red shirt protests in 2010.

The Court however postponed the trial to August 28.

The Criminal Court approved combining the cases against Mr Abhisit and Phra Suthep (Mr Suthep, who is now in the Buddhist monkhood), former director of the Centre for Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) during the Abhisit administration, because both cases share the same set of witnesses and evidence.

The court will resume its examination of evidence and witnesses on August 28.

Mr Abhisit and Phra Suthep arrived at the Criminal Court on Ratchadaphisek Road in Bangkok this morning as the court checked their accounts, evidence and witnesses.

The public prosecution charged them with ordering and attempting the murders of others in relation to fatal crackdowns on red shirt protesters in 2010.

After listening to the charges, Phra Suthep denied them all.

Mr Abhisit and Phra Suthep asked the court to decide if the Department of Special Investigation had authority to investigate their cases because they were accused of malfeasance.

Their argument caused the court to postpone the examination of evidence and witnesses to 9am on August 28.

Phra Suthep said he felt at peace and did not plan to leave the monkhood yet. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2014-07-28

There are fools, and then there is Thailand, and we all know religion is always the way out or an excuse, it makes me laugh, if I was a Buddha on an overstay would I be kicked out of the country, or be seen to be a good person

If you had actually read the OP of the thread you posted in, you would see that Suthep HAD attended court to acknowledge charges since December last year.

... sent from my phone.

I can only answer what you posted - this is your post to which I was replying.

"It seems that you missed Suthep attending court in June this year. http://www.thaivisa....l-role-in-2010/

Ahh ... no you didn't miss it. You just forgot. http://www.thaivisa....2010/?p=7948992"

Not my problem if you make an erroneous statement based on (in this context) an irrelevant court case.

... sent from my phone.

I can only answer what you posted - this is your post to which I was replying.

"It seems that you missed Suthep attending court in June this year. http://www.thaivisa....l-role-in-2010/

Ahh ... no you didn't miss it. You just forgot. http://www.thaivisa....2010/?p=7948992"

Not my problem if you make an erroneous statement based on (in this context) an irrelevant court case.

And me using the wrong article in the first reply doesn't change the fact that you incorrectly stated that Suthep hadn't been to court regarding the murder charges since he started the protests.

People who hate injustice will always criticize both sides of the current Thai debate / fiasco / divide.

Narrow minded team sports political punter-pundits, however, despise this, and any criticism of Suthep and Abhisit must be red supporters, and anyone who criticizes ying and thak must be yellow supporters.

This is Thailand, land of lopsided trials and free red bull heirs.....and raped women being rushed to the border to be deported. The list is quite long, really, quite l o n g.

Amazing Thailand, and amazing anyone really picks a side in this.

They all (Thai politicians and monky movement makers ) suck. The last time they had a fair trial in this country, with a verdict that was given in line with the crime....well, they never had a fair trial in this country. I do not expect fair trials, just outcomes, or political stability to 'magically appear' just because the situation has calmed down. it is still on slow simmer.

Amazing Thailand, LOS (Land of Scams). Oddly, the ordinary people here are really nice, but --whew-- those posing as leaders are laughable to me altogether...come to think of it, the West has the same problem.

If you live in Thailand with all those chips on your shoulder, you'd be better off leaving before you have a heart attack.

If you understand Thai or even care to check out the reporting in English of trials here you might be amazed to find that many are fair. Yes there is far too much bail handed out and often the sentencing leans heavily on the lenient side.

Criticising the justice system because prominent (i.e. rich) figures run away from justice, like the Red Bull heir, Thaksin, the Samut Parkarn godfather, & the Chonburi one too (since captured), is valid.

As for the leaders, not all are crooks - only the majority - but they are the ones that the good people of Thailand vote (& are paid to vote) for.

Corruption, lack of good governance, and absence of a police force willing to uphold the law are the main reasons that the country has been left behind some of it's regional neighbours. Coups are 'taking a breather' and are not a solution. But this one was needed to stop the almost daily violence against the PDRC. There is a possibility that the current coup will lead to a better democracy but it will take a mammoth effort to achieve it. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Khunken, i do agree with nearly all of your post, but i simply just cannot agree with 'but this one was needed to stop almost daily violence against the PDRC'. It just does not hold water. Previous violence when the red shirts protested which arguably was more dangerous for persons did not result in a coup. Without making light of any deaths in the PDRC protests, yes there were grenade and other assorted attacks, but the vast majority were aimed at empty buildings etc in the dead of night, and a relatively small amount of protesters at the main rally sites were injured or killed, albeit any is to many.

If daily violence is a reason to hold a coup, why is the unrest in the south where much more deadly attacks occur daily reason for a coup?

The violence could just have easily been solved by the army/police/courts telling the protesters to go home, red and PDRC.

The coup occurred so they have put themselves in the firing line. You may be cautiously optimistic, but i am less so- i fail to see how they can heal the ruptures in society and all the other ills- when as far as I am concerned the military as much as any political party are as complicit in the lack of law and order, corruption, cronyism etc in Thai society, i cannot see why this coup would be any different, but here's hoping.

Maybe the army generals should spend more time in the south dealing with the insurgency there, which incidentally is what the national army is paid for, rather than all the head honchos playing politics in Bangkok.

The difference with red leaders this to men show themself to court and not make a false medical certificate to exempt them....

I believe he was quoted as saying not that long ago, "I'm just to busy to go too court"

And now his timing is Awesome, dressed as a monk, REALLY.

But ok at least he is showing up so that is something I guess. I just wonder how he can defend his conformation that in fact he did give the order to shoot people with live rounds which resulted in the injury's and death of so many, Defending the indefensible, And Mark was his boss so where dose that leave him?

BTW, I don't recall Yingluck giving any orders to Shoot people with live rounds, DO YOU????

• Like 1

Before it goes any farther lets get it straight what this court appearance was all about, to use the official words: " For verification of documents and evidence"

If you remember back not that far when Yingluck refused to appear as ordered and sent her lawyers in her place she was then refused full access to the evidence against her because she did not appear in person.

That it seems is the law.

After much wringing of hands and tears she was eventually given the evidence.

By turning up as requested Abhisit and Suthep and their lawyers now have full access to the evidence against them and have until the 29th August to study that evidence before their next court appearance. They have also shown their respect for the court and the law by complying as they should.

Suthep and respect, you must be joking, Suthep has no respect , for nothing, he is even a shame for Buddhism .

Sure they show up, they will always do, because no one will ever touch them .

There are still several court warrants on this moron, but he will never face any jail time.

The difference with red leaders this to men show themself to court and not make a false medical certificate to exempt them....

I believe he was quoted as saying not that long ago, "I'm just to busy to go too court"

And now his timing is Awesome, dressed as a monk, REALLY.

But ok at least he is showing up so that is something I guess. I just wonder how he can defend his conformation that in fact he did give the order to shoot people with live rounds which resulted in the injury's and death of so many, Defending the indefensible, And Mark was his boss so where dose that leave him?

BTW, I don't recall Yingluck giving any orders to Shoot people with live rounds, DO YOU????

Do you think that the government of the time should have set police/soldiers with riot shields against armed protesters?

• Like 1

aussieinThailand post # 72

Of course she didn't do that.her orders came from on high, her brother.

Now he has a somewhat interesting background regarding killings, Tak Bai, The War on Drug's, missing prominent Thai Muslim Lawyers a number of witnesses died or vanished as they were prosecution witnesses against the Shinwatra family.

Do you really think or actually believe that Yingluck is a ''born again innocent Vestal Virgin?''

Guilt by association .The same argument as used by the Shinwatra clan stooges in support of their corrupt hero.

<snip>

I've heard it said that these two will not be held responsible for their actions as they are well protected by higher powers even more than the court of the day.

They will be held responsible for their actions, but most likely it will be decided that their actions of having soldiers armed with live ammunition was appropriate for dealing with armed protesters.

Mr. T did turn up for court but when the going got tough, the tough of going. When the enemy are in control best option is retreat, not surrender.

Hit and run coward comes to mind, then became the biggest S##T stirrer in the world.

No survivalist comes to mind, especially since he was ousted from power by a coup. S##t stirrer is not the right expression, he was and is fighting a guerilla war against the elite who did not/do not like him.

In the art of warfare, political or otherwise, retreat is not a disgrace. He retreated from Thailand which was a very wise move. Let the enemy think they have won, but they will never win against a growing unrest amongst the population. People are waking up but are still muzzled from speaking out, the tide will soon turn in favour of the common man.

Ousted from illegally occupying the post of caretaker PM by the military, after resigning and then re-appointing himself without authority is hardly a coup - although lots like to dress it up as. The enemy weren't in control - one of his was. But still chose to run rather than appeal the conviction and of course avoid the other 15 more serious charges that were coming down the line.

Guerilla war - like as in "ill be there right next you when the first shots are fired" - but you'll be in the firing line and I'll be in Paris shopping.

Against the "elite" - the Shins are part of the elite. They are billionaires who suddenly acquired large amounts of vast wealth - from monopolies, dodgy deals, tax avoidance, and who knows what else. They are only interested in themselves and want to push the "old money" elites out.

Do you really think the Shins are remotely interested in the "common man" or improving the lot of the poor? Look at the last 3 years and open your eyes to what they're really all about.

People are waking up - and many now see the Shins for the corrupt, lying, gang that has lined their own, family and friends pockets for far too long. Simply another gang of hisos trying to turn the country into their own fiefdom.

I really hope Thailand becomes a true democracy, with a lot less corruption, and much fairer society. But one things for sure, the Shins would never deliver that.

********I said the country is feudal but the Shins did make an attempt to modernize the place rather than your old elite trying their best to keep the yolk on the serfs, and are still doing so. The Shin clan were corrupt but who is innocent these days, very few indeed. I cannot point a finger at a single individual when the world is full of crooks and scoundrels.

Was Ab and Suthep any different from Thaksin?

Are the generals progressive or regressive?

Since you can't retell Thai history correctly, I don't believe you when you say you have lived in every ASEAN country (week-long holidays don't count). I think you have real problem telling the truth. I'm going to put you on my 'ignore' list now as you are not credible.

Actually it is you having a problem understanding the truth. You are in no position to dispute my word but would seeing all my old passports help you.

<snip>

I've heard it said that these two will not be held responsible for their actions as they are well protected by higher powers even more than the court of the day.

They will be held responsible for their actions, but most likely it will be decided that their actions of having soldiers armed with live ammunition was appropriate for dealing with armed protesters.

OK so do you contend that the shootings of people in the temple, most of which were not armed, just helping with the injured, ie young nurse shot dead,

and shooting journalist's which were not armed, who is responsible for their deaths? and will they be held accountable? Not all who were shot were armed protestors.

<snip>

OK so do you contend that the shootings of people in the temple, most of which were not armed, just helping with the injured, ie young nurse shot dead,

and shooting journalist's which were not armed, who is responsible for their deaths? and will they be held accountable? Not all who were shot were armed protestors.

No. Do you contend that Abhisit and Suthep ordered that they be shot?

Are police chiefs held accountable when police officers incorrectly shoot people?

2 of your rosy friends only got suspended sentences, another surprise ??

His two rosy friends are connected to his arm.

His two rosy friends are dangling below his todgercheesy.gif

<snip>

No. Do you contend that Abhisit and Suthep ordered that they be shot?

Are police chiefs held accountable when police officers incorrectly shoot people?

Yes!!! Suthep has just recently and finally admitted to giving the order to shoot people with live rounds, but it only took him 4 years to admit to it.

"are police chief's held accountable when police incorrectly shoot people?" That remains to be seen, but hey so many crying out your the boss so the buck stops with you.

One has arm in a sling, other "found" religion. If you think these guys care about "common man" and all reds are thieves, I have an honest bar girl I want to introduce you to....

What does having an arm in a sling have to do with caring about anyone?

... sent from my phone.

Possibly give out later for medical reasons, and Suthep now like Nixon's Chuck Colson having 'seen the light'. How about they look at more recent crimes by S man, then work they way backward?

One has arm in a sling, other "found" religion. If you think these guys care about "common man" and all reds are thieves, I have an honest bar girl I want to introduce you to....

... sent from my phone.

Possibly give out later for medical reasons, and Suthep now like Nixon's Chuck Colson having 'seen the light'. How about they look at more recent crimes by S man, then work they way backward?

Abhisit had an operation on his shoulder a couple of months ago.

Mr. T did turn up for court but when the going got tough, the tough got going. When the enemy are in control best option is retreat, not surrender.

Why did he not return therefore when the PPP under Samak (Thaksins clone) and Somchai (Thaksins brother in law) were in power or even when the PTP under Yingluck (his sister) were in power?

Could it have been that he was found guilty and convicted under Somchais PPP party?

I would never class Thaksin as tough, more of a bully, a coward and a liar.

• Like 1

Read post 40 before you start with the smug replies. Always best to check whether the person whose post you are "liking" or agreeing with is correct before doing so. Saves embarrassment.
Post 40 has absolutely no relevance to what I wrote. You gave half an answer to whybother's post. Suthep did appear in court for the 2010 murder charges as per his other link which you ignored.

The embarrassment is yours as his post was correct and selective answers are the arguments of charlatans.

....................and selective answers are the arguments of charlatans."................................. and arrogant trolls, you forgot to mention them. biggrin.png

Did anybody expected any other out come than this? this was part of the deal done to disband

Suthep people and bring peace to the streets....

Maybe you could give us some more details on this deal you seem to know about.

• Like 1

******Many common folk did actually prosper when Thaksin was PM, a fact. The people were happy back then but now they are most certainly not, prices of most items going up far too quickly for the common man to cope with these days. Go talk to people, they are getting truly getting fed up with the political turmoil and coup which is not addressing the plight of the common man.

Yes they did and if Thaksin had done just that he may have still been around now but he seems to have got greedy and enriched himself.

As for the price rises they were going up under the PTP government anyway. If I remember rightly Yingluck claimed they weren't and then announced measures to stop the price rises she claimed weren't happening anyway.

... sent from my phone.

He may be on to something whybother. Whenever I have my arm in a sling I could not give a toss about the "common man", only thing I care about is my sore arm. biggrin.png

Not sure about the other guy, the one who found religion, but the Monks in our local wat in Chiang Mai seem to be a caring lot.

Actually "someone" seems to be suffering from a medical condition, and I don't think it's Abhisit !

Abhisit and Suthep have nothing to fear they are on the side of right- the military side. GP rules!

A lie. They are in the criminal court facing charges that the military have made no attempt to interfere with.

The same criminal court has always given the red shirt accused (Jatuporn et al) a fair trial and IMO excessive leniency in bail being allowed.

The military have kept out of it but I wonder if they would if they were in court with Abhisit and Suthep. Remember the ROE didn't authorise any of the deaths I've heard of which the courts claim were carried out by the army. The army claimed that others fired some of the lethal shots and some were justified. They should be given their chance to defend themselves like anyone else but Tarit decided not to try to bring any charges against them.

Robert Amsterdam's white paper 'The Bangkok massacres. A call for accountability' is quite interesting. It was written in 2010 whilst Abhisit was still PM but it would apply to the PTP government as well. It mentions the Thai government's duty under international law to investigate it's own abuses and bring those responsible (he includes the army) to justice. The fact that hasn't happened in this present case is down to the PTP so the bias isn't with the court which as you mention seem to have been unbiased. I'd also dare anyone to claim Robert Amsterdam is in the pocket of the Dems.

Interestingly a while back a poster on here said something that I really couldn't comprehend. He seemed to be of the opinion that the courts were biased in favour of the Dems. He made this comment. 'Even with the Dems having the courts in their pocket they've only managed to win a handful of cases in the last 10 years.' I must have the wrong interpretation of the phrase 'in their pocket'

• Like 1