Most Thais blame LINE, Facebook for wrong usage of Thai language

webfact

Most Thais blame LINE, Facebook for wrong usage of Thai language

BANGKOK: -- Up to 77.4 per cent of 1,218 people surveyed by Bangkok University blamed the messages in LINE chat groups and Facebook postings for wrong usage of spoken and written Thai language.

The survey was held on the occasion of the Thai Language Day Monday.

The university found that 55.7 per cent of the respondents do not know that July 29 is the Thai Language Day while 44.3 per cent said they know it.

And up to 84.7 per cent of the respondents believe the Thai language usage has been in crisis while the rest do not think so.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Most-Thais-blame-LINE-Facebook-for-wrong-usage-of--30239626.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-28

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blame the schools, not the new technology.

The pidgin Thai (and English) and texting language is a universal problem as the ADD texting culture evolves the short hand communication. The Thai language use was already at fault long before these technology applications and programs came about. Romanizing Thai words and names in English, or the lack of a centralized translation/spelling system, only makes it worse.

• Like 2

Poll: Thai majority think the language is not being used correctly
By Digital Content

14065243217442.jpg

BANGKOK, July 28 -- As tomorrow, July 29, is National Thai Language Day, a survey has been conducted which found that most Thais think that the use of Thai language in the modern society is quite critical, as a lot of the younger generations are not using the language correctly, particularly on social media.

Bangkok University's Research Centre, better known as the Bangkok Poll, surveyed "The Use of Thai Language of the New Generations on Social Media", through a sample group of 1,218 participants aged 15-35 years old within the Bangkok metropolitan area.

The poll found that 84.7 per cent said that today's use of the Thai language has reached a critical point, where most in the younger generation cannot use it correctly. Poll respondents think that a serious campaign should be implemented to teach the new generations how to properly use the Thai language.

In the meantime, 55.7 per cent said they had no idea that tomorrow, July 29, is National Thai Language Day.

As for who is the most influential in using the Thai language, 36 per cent said celebrities and actresses, 33.3 per cent said the media, while 19.2 per cent said teachers and instructors.

The survey also found that 77.4 per cent said that the channels for using the Thai language that have been most influential in changing from the normal standard are chat messenger, Line, and comments posted on Facebook.

Meanwhile, 38.8 per cent said the reasons why most people opted to use the Thai language incorrectly on social media are due to the current trend, it provide convenience, and that such use creates laughter and relaxation.

The poll however, found that two-thirds, 65.9 per cent, said they could accept the use of rude language in movies or characters and through comments on social media, though all admitted that sometimes it is too over the top. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-07-28

This is crazy. I haven’t seen a people more obsessed with speaking correctly than the Thais. It’s been drilled into every kid at school. You’re shunned if you don’t use the prescribed polite phrases at the right times.

Who is 'they'? The ones who don't roll their r's and omit the 'lor ling' sound from words, or the ones who say Argen instead of Argentina? What is the point, other than its for shortness and convenience. Silly research and a total waste haha.

• Like 1

"The survey was held on the occasion of the Thai Language Day Monday.

The university found that 55.7 per cent of the respondents do not know that July 29 is the Thai Language Day"

........So is it Thai Language day on Monday or 29 you cant have both

I blame Facebook for the confusion myself.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

Languages evolve as the users find new ways of manipulating them. There are a lot of people using Thai online and they have reached a new consensus on how it is used in that sphere of communication. Those who don't like it don't have to use it and can write each other letters if it bothers them that much.

When I first met my wife 8 years ago, we were talking about the quality of the Thai language.

She picked up a news paper and showed me 10 grammar and spelling mistakes ON THE FRONT PAGE!!!

This was well before Line and Facebook became popular here.

• Like 1

Excuse me for being obtuse, but how does NOT knowing that a given day is "Thai Language Day" or whether or not the language is in crisis have anything at all to do with the USAGE of the Thai language? This article is akin to a journalist writing an article which simple states "Did you know..." and then the article finishes. I'm not even sure I can guess what this journalist's point is.

What level of education do these journalists have anyway? I know that English is not their first language, but that cannot possible account for a lot of the illogical and ill-conceived crud that is written in English language news articles in Thailand.

No one uses ANY language correctly on social media platforms, so what's the big deal It's all about making your point with the least amount of characters.

That would be the "least number" of characters, of course. It is proper to use "fewer" rather than "less" when describing countable items even though "fewer" has more characters than "less" - an example of the text-warping of English.

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

This type of complaint boils down to 2 things:

1 - Lack of understanding of what language is and how it works. Language changes and adapts. Look at the frustration many English feel when they hear non "proper" English.

2 - Denial of a failing education system.