Accident........to stop or not?

xylophone

Yes, good on you! I remember a long time ago I had a minor accident and was worried about the safety of my wife who was riding the back seat.

I could not see her (could not see a thing because of the blood in my eyes) but these very nice Thai people came along and told me she was ok. It was just me who had to go to the hospital.

• Like 1

I have a camera on my car and a bike too! Better safe than sorry, it can cover your arse in this and even worse cases. Also you could have gotten the license plate of that little bastard who hit the guy and speed off! Well done!

• Like 1

Good on you. But I have to admit I did the opposite one time. There were other people around to help the obviously drunk guy who had crashed his motorbike right in front of me, so I'm not too ashamed. My pillion passenger, a long time Thai expat, on observing others there, said "go, go , go!". I'd like to think that she was wrong, but have now heard enough horror stories of innocent drivers done over to find this question a true dilemma.

I stopped for an accident once (the only one I've seen)- was on foot, motorbike side-swiped an illegally parked black van that it didn't see- this was at night. Driver was a mess, traffic wouldn't stop for him- luckily one Thai guy did stop and managed to direct the traffic but there was little that could be done for the motorbike driver whose injuries were horrific- I've done first aid courses and even used to work in a hospital but he passed away before the ambulance arrived. Police seemed more concerned about whether it was a hit and run, they didn't even take my name- they were visibly relieved when I told them he'd crashed into the van himself.

Incredibly sad and I'll never forget those horrendous first moments when the motorbike was still flipping and turning, the rider thrown and not one car stopping to help the poor guy.

So, yeah, well done to you.

Its an urban legend that you will be blamed because you are farang or because you helped. Having said that, it is always possible that you might be temporarily detained during the initial investigation until the police determine who is involved, a small price to pay if you are able to help save a life. I will pretty much always stop, especially if I am a witness. I make sure I give the non-guilty party my contact details if they want a statement.

• Like 1

Good on you. But I have to admit I did the opposite one time. There were other people around to help the obviously drunk guy who had crashed his motorbike right in front of me, so I'm not too ashamed. My pillion passenger, a long time Thai expat, on observing others there, said "go, go , go!". I'd like to think that she was wrong, but have now heard enough horror stories of innocent drivers done over to find this question a true dilemma.

Yes, I also hear many stories. They're hardly ever true.
  • Like 1

What about the police having to protect the mini-van driver that killed the young woman on the motorbike? This is a very common story.

If the accident happened at a busy place with witnesses and I was not at fault, I'd stop, if not, I'd drive straight to the nearest police station.

as a general rule, i would get the f out of there but i guess you need to take every case by its merrits, especially if it looks very serious.

also, in the OP's case it was a farang injured, so helping is probably less risky than helping a Thai, that could easily backfire on you.

Edited by stevehaigh

as a general rule, i would get the f out of there but i guess you need to take every case by its merrits, especially if it looks very serious.

also, in the OP's case it was a farang injured, so helping is probably less risky than helping a Thai, that could easily backfire on you.

It was a young Thai guy and when I saw him hit and spin round and crumple like he was poleaxed, I thought it was serious.

I really did have these bad thoughts running through my mind, but as I drew up closer to him and looked, I really couldn't drive by without trying to help. I actually thought that a young life could go to waste all for the sake of someone stopping..........so I did.

What was surprising though was that the traffic on the side of the road on which he was laying just kept on going, trying to navigate past him, and no one bothering to stop, neither did any of the traffic on the side of the road on which he was originally hit, although they must have seen it.

Quite sad now I think of it again.

What about the police having to protect the mini-van driver that killed the young woman on the motorbike? This is a very common story.

If the accident happened at a busy place with witnesses and I was not at fault, I'd stop, if not, I'd drive straight to the nearest police station.

Somebody causing an accident and stopping or not can hardly be compared to somebody witnessing an accident and stopping to help.