Need Reviews of "The Base" Downtown Phuket Condos

CeltNYC

Sansiri have problems right now selling out due they develop way to many projects in a short time, witch means if they don't sell out, less money for maintenance security etc etc..

They even had a huge discount on the -condo fair- a couple of months ago..

Have a look around witch condos that sold out or at least 90% in Phuket anything else below that don't touch it..

The low end condo market is severely saturated at this point, with more on the way.  A few years back this was a legit way for punters to make money, by buying and flipping, or buying and renting out. 

true, but there is still few objects and developers out there that sold out or almost so you need to do your own research..

Thanks for the replies. 

Wanted to know if you felt this was a good rental deal:  

https://www.rentalfortheholidays.com/en/room.aspx?std=697

It's in the Base, a 2 bdr/2 bath and we can pay by credit card. It's 45,000 thb a month though which is high. The amenities are really nice in the building.

Anyone know if we can just stop by this building once we are there and rent a similar unit?

Just wanted some guidance as we don't want to get a bad deal. Seems like a really nice place though and close to things in walking distance. Thanks. 

We actually just signed a deal for 2 x 1 bedroom units in the base downtown. We found the staff very pleasant to deal with and I would definitely suggest going in and talking with the staff as we got our rooms for A LOT less then that but we signed a 1 year contract. The amenities there seem very good and the gym was well equipped with good equipment, Security stopped us several times and asked us why we were there which did not happen at many other places we went to visit.

We actually just signed a deal for 2 x 1 bedroom units in the base downtown. We found the staff very pleasant to deal with and I would definitely suggest going in and talking with the staff as we got our rooms for A LOT less then that but we signed a 1 year contract. The amenities there seem very good and the gym was well equipped with good equipment, Security stopped us several times and asked us why we were there which did not happen at many other places we went to visit.

Terrific info and I will send you a PM for more info if that's ok! Cheers. 

Thanks for the replies. 

It's in the Base, a 2 bdr/2 bath and we can pay by credit card. It's 45,000 thb a month though which is high. The amenities are really nice in the building.

Anyone know if we can just stop by this building once we are there and rent a similar unit?

Just wanted some guidance as we don't want to get a bad deal. Seems like a really nice place though and close to things in walking distance. Thanks. 

Where are you going to be walking to? Only things in this area are a few shopping malls and a bit further away is Phuket town itself. If you are coming for a beach holiday then suggest you find a place by one of the beaches themselves

Terrific info and I will send you a PM for more info if that's ok! Cheers. 

We have 80SQM+ units on a soi off Chaofa Road that rent for a fraction of that price. Fully serviced as well. If interested PM me and I will give you the website address. We accept credit card payments also.

Edited by littleboylost

Thanks for the replies. 

Where are you going to be walking to? Only things in this area are a few shopping malls and a bit further away is Phuket town itself. If you are coming for a beach holiday then suggest you find a place by one of the beaches themselves

I will be working about 6 minutes or so away so it's convenient for work. I'll be working in Kathu.

There seems to be things for my wife and kid to walk to in the shopping mall as well as amenities in the building itself for them. We are not there for a beach holiday but def want to spend some time at the beach. 

@CiaranO - we're used to insane NYC prices so didn't seem like a rip off at first. Now it def does after looking around and getting feedback! How much do you think a unit like that is worth?

@ schlog: Bad traffic and smog don't sound terrific. I'll be working nearby though.

@ littleboylost: Thanks for the tip. Just PM'ed you.  

@ Karenbravo: This is 67 sq m but that's def small for a 2 bedroom and that price! 

Realistic price for a 1 year contract wil be between 15.000-20.000/month.

1km down the main road you will get for 45.000/month =  2-3bedroom house in a new nice villa(120m2) + 1 car + 1 sweet maid(24hx7d).

Edited by schlog

1km down the main road you will get for 45.000/month =  2-3bedroom house in a new nice villa(120m2) + 1 car + 1 sweet maid(24hx7d).

Seems they have gone down to 38-40k per month so still double what you think we should pay for a 2 bdr there?

Seems they have gone down to 38-40k per month so still double what you think we should pay for a 2 bdr there?

Well The base Condo got security,gym,sauna,pool so 25-30k a month sounds more reasonable for 2 bdr.

The problem with the base downtown and the other new apartment complex's is that there are not alot of 2 bedroom apartments in them so they are much more expensive then renting 2 x 1 bedroom apartments.

Haha you work for The Base or you got a flat there? DCondo down the road got a lot of 2 bedroom apartments for rent..

You really need to just get you ass over here and look at where you are going to be working and where you want to live. Shopping online for a place to live in Phuket is insane IMHO. Good luck! And as Dorothy said; Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore! 

keep in mind they are advertising their 1 bedrooms for 25k month although going in person you can get them down to around 18k for a year. Remember the base downtown was pretty much completely sold out which is why sansri commisioned the base uptown so not sure how many people will be living there and how many 2 bedrooms are actually for rent. Best bet is to come here and go in and see the girls and bargain hard.

There are 3-4 new apartment complex's around central festival so better to come here and then go and see what you like.

Edited by theonetrueaussie

The problem with the base downtown and the other new apartment complex's is that there are not alot of 2 bedroom apartments in them so they are much more expensive then renting 2 x 1 bedroom apartments.

Haha you work for The Base or you got a flat there? DCondo down the road got a lot of 2 bedroom apartments for rent..

haha no i don't work for them but we did just did look at LOTS of apartments, Yes Dcondo just down the road had some but the owners are charging even more then the recommended rental suggested by Dcondo. I think they wanted 45-50k a month for a 2 bedroom. We went to both Dcondo's and the 2 bedrooms were alot more then renting 2x1 bedrooms. We also had a look at a few others around the place but settled on 2 x 1 bedrooms at the base downtown as it had the best facilities and the rooms are much bigger then Dcondo.

From what we saw the base was the best place we saw to rent near central festival but we were only looking at condos we did not want a villa or house which would be cheaper. But like others have said looking on the internet is pointless, The pictures can look great but until you actually go and see the places you won't know for sure and I would definitely not book anything for a year over the internet without seeing it in person first.

Purchasing price about 4 mio.

4 mio x 5% : 12 month = 16.666

So add lifestyle, pool, security you got 20.000 again. Paying up-front for 1 year it will be no problem, but you have to rent direct from the owner.

I never paid more then 5% rent and never let rent our houses for more.

Schlog please let me know where these new 2 bedroom condos are for 20k, would love to know for renting in the future, We looked at 5-7 different Western modern condos and found no 2 bedrooms for less then 40k, even now we pay 55k for a 2 bedroom in rawai after getting a 15k month discount for 6 months rental.

5% gross is not enough to cover repairs, HOA fees, maintenance, insurance, vacancies, mortgage if applicable and taxes and still leave you with a reasonable return. In the West many owners are willing to accept low break even monthly returns with the idea of reaping a profit based on appreciation when selling, but that is a risky bet here in Thailand.

5% gross is not enough to cover repairs, HOA fees, maintenance, insurance, vacancies, mortgage if applicable and taxes and still leave you with a reasonable return. In the West many owners are willing to accept low break even monthly returns with the idea of reaping a profit based on appreciation when selling, but that is a risky bet here in Thailand.

It is no risky bet, it is a fact. In the last 22 years here i rent and let rent for about 5%(1 year contracts). In my opinion it is a fair deal for both sides.

But never mind you can rent for 10% or 15%.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for advice here. We just went to see the Base and it seemed like a ghost town. It looks nice inside but the units facing the construction are horrible. The ones facing the pool are definitely better. 

Definitely great advice to not take a place sight unseen! 

Thanks for advice here. We just went to see the Base and it seemed like a ghost town. It looks nice inside but the units facing the construction are horrible. The ones facing the pool are definitely better. 

Take a look at sugarpalmcondo opposite Suan Luang Park (King Rama IX). You get seaview in some of the apartments or park view.

Yep, you need to be here and look for yourself. Websites don't represent reality, especially here! Good luck with your hunt!

• Like 1