Immigration: Foreigners must now carry valid ID at all times, report within 24 hours

Hi Folks,

This Law about carrying an ID of yourself and the Law about which place you are staying, reporting you by the owner of the abode that you are in, has been here for many a year.

I carry all of my ID's with me, at all times, nobody ever asked me for my Passport ID at check points only for my  Driving License,

As for the abode address, for sure, in the hotel that I visit and stay one or two nights, I show them my Driving License old and new, as the old one has my PR address and my new one my ID number.

There is however a report that I have to make, that if I am not living in my abode address within 15 days, under my PR status, I must report to the nearest Provincial Main Police Station of my new address (most of them do not know what a PR is btw outside of the touristic spots).

One hopes, that this post will help you all.

Win thumbsup.gif

When I went to live in the village we went to the police station as no immigration office ( I insisted as didn't want to get my wife in trouble ) and they had no idea what I was talking about ).

• Like 1

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Because the law of the land says they can't and it's very clear on this point how difficult can that be to understand!

The rest of what you've written is simply opinion and blah de-blah that is presented as fact.

So, you are in support of Thailand's immigration system being out of balance with the rest of the civilized world, and discriminating against Thais in the process - as long as you can take advantage of those loop holes for yourself?  That is what you mean.

And, the rest of what you write is simply opinion and blah de-blah that is presented as fact.  Although, the 'blah de-blah' you dismiss are actual news events reported around the world at this time.  You might know that if you had any actual interest in Thailand beyong what you can get out of it by exploiting those loop holes for yourself.

Yes, if that's what Thailand wants, it's their country and the Thai's are free to make whatever laws they wish, of course I support that, nowhere is it written that one country must follow the example set by others..

And please do tell us what loop holes I'm exploiting? I've had a fully legit O-A visa here every year for the past fifteen and my contributions to the Thai economy are fairly substantial. In addition I do my social part by sponsoring two family members through university, are those the "loop holes" you refer to - what you know about my "actual interests in Thailand" amounts to slightly less than zip!

For the last 15 years you have been leaving the country once a year to apply for an O-A issued outside Thailand ?? 

That seems crazy.. 

As at 10:00am today

"HUA HIN: -- [thaivisa.com] Hua Hin Immigration is from today enforcing the existing rule that foreigners are required to carry a valid photo ID at all times.

At a meeting with Hua Hin Immigration and municipality, Thaivisa.com was informed of the news about the immediate enforcement regarding the requirements for foreigners - both tourists and expats - to carry valid photo ID at all times. Thaivisa has learned that Immigration is likely to enforce this nationwide.

Valid ID's are:

- Thai Drivers Licence

- Passport original

- Copy of passport verified and stamped by Hua Hin Immigration

Penalty:

Failure to carry valid ID as above is 2,000 Baht."

Huahin Immigration have not heard of the "copy of passport stamped by Hua Hin Immigration" thing - saying "no, we never do that, you must carry your original passport, that is your ID".

I'm shocked!  Shocked I tell you, shocked!   Lol.

A silly question for the ivory tower dwellers.  Now there are some - as hard as that may be to believe - who might be planning a vacation in Thailand (itself probably a dwindling number nowadays, to be sure, but still...) and who don't actually follow TVF...   How exactly is the casual tourist supposed to even know about these hissy little enforcement spasms?  I missed it on the 11 o'clock news... 

Once they pay their 2000b fine on the way back from the beach.. 

• Like 1

LivinLOS, on 30 Jul 2014 - 17:23, said:

chiang mai, on 30 Jul 2014 - 12:41, said:

John1thru10, on 30 Jul 2014 - 12:31, said:

chiang mai, on 30 Jul 2014 - 12:26, said:

Because the law of the land says they can't and it's very clear on this point how difficult can that be to understand!

The rest of what you've written is simply opinion and blah de-blah that is presented as fact.

So, you are in support of Thailand's immigration system being out of balance with the rest of the civilized world, and discriminating against Thais in the process - as long as you can take advantage of those loop holes for yourself?  That is what you mean.

And, the rest of what you write is simply opinion and blah de-blah that is presented as fact.  Although, the 'blah de-blah' you dismiss are actual news events reported around the world at this time.  You might know that if you had any actual interest in Thailand beyong what you can get out of it by exploiting those loop holes for yourself.

Yes, if that's what Thailand wants, it's their country and the Thai's are free to make whatever laws they wish, of course I support that, nowhere is it written that one country must follow the example set by others..

And please do tell us what loop holes I'm exploiting? I've had a fully legit O-A visa here every year for the past fifteen and my contributions to the Thai economy are fairly substantial. In addition I do my social part by sponsoring two family members through university, are those the "loop holes" you refer to - what you know about my "actual interests in Thailand" amounts to slightly less than zip!

For the last 15 years you have been leaving the country once a year to apply for an O-A issued outside Thailand ?? 

That seems crazy.. 

Hi LivinLOS,

I must have missed that part out, sorry, could you point it out to me please?

Win thumbsup.gif

As usual the TV westerners are crying, unjust, how does this make sense "how very dare they" 

Westerners (inc tourists) are just a small part of the picture of foreign Aliens in Thailand,this is mostly aimed at the huge number of Aliens from neighbouring countries, Cambodians , Burmese etc working and living here.

To Thais we are all Aliens, biggest difference being the amount one group complains compared to the other, and the visual lifestyle we have as expats or Tourists

I have recently voted with my feet and left after 16 years here, love Thailand love Thais in general, hate the Bureaucracy and BS, I fear it will only get worse.

Yet they dont generally have passports.. 

"you and your landlord (condominium owner, house owner etc) must report to Immigration within 24 hours....  This applies to both tourists and expats"

Does this apply to staying in hotels? This implies that as a tourist, you would personally be required to report to immigration if you changed where you were staying.

I feel like I work for TAT ..... the hotel takes a copy of your passport when you check in... clear?  They submit it. If you move to new hotel...repeat number 1. 

Thats the TM30.. You must "in addition to" according to the law.. Submit the TM28. 

If I travel to another province and stay there more than 48  hours, i have to go to immigration and fill out a form ....?!!  Thai Immigration have totally gone OTT.... lost the plot

Actually 24 hours.. You have 'up to 48 hours' to report. 

LivinLOS, on 30 Jul 2014 - 17:23, said:

chiang mai, on 30 Jul 2014 - 12:41, said:

That seems crazy.. 

Hi LivinLOS,

Win thumbsup.gif

He claims to have been here 15 years on an O-A visa.. 

O-A visas are issued outside of Thailand and not inside.. And generally only in your home country under stricter conditions.. I am guessing hes on a non imm O class extension, done incountry.. 

You would think if hes going to lecture, after all these years, he would know what he is staying under. 

• Like 1

If I travel to another province and stay there more than 48  hours, i have to go to immigration and fill out a form ....?!!  Thai Immigration have totally gone OTT.... lost the plot

Actually 24 hours.. You have 'up to 48 hours' to report. 

Good luck with that when you're already in another province/ country.

lol that would mean they would be like Philippines then there you get tourist id or I card as they call it no need to carry passport while in country if questioned for id show card and on your war.flying to borcay at airport show card hop on plane and go.

I'm sure I'm not the only foreigner living in Thailand with 2 residences (in fact I know I'm not).

I travel between Korat and Bangkok twice per month and stay 7-10 days each time. 

Any suggestions on what I should do to keep legal?

I'm sure I'm not the only foreigner living in Thailand with 2 residences (in fact I know I'm not).

I travel between Korat and Bangkok twice per month and stay 7-10 days each time. 

Any suggestions on what I should do to keep legal?

Lots of reports. 

I'm late onto this one as have been without internet for the past day and a half.

I have not read all 32 pages but have skimmed through.

I am not going to change anything I do. I will not carry my passport on a night out somewhere as it's dangerous. I won't take any form of ID to the beach or similar attractions. I won't report to a police station or immigration office if I leave the province. If I stay at a large hotel that collects details of all guests and reports it then fine, but it's a fact that the majority of small hotels and guesthouses ignore the rules on this.

If I am breaking the law and get fined, then so be it. If I do feel that Thailand is becoming a "Big Brother" state then I'm out of here. 

Are you leasing, owning, have lady you stay with that residence is in her name? Many unanswered questions but technically it appears you should fill out TM 30 each time. Hotels can just do on line, for you a bit more difficult. Problem here is each Immigration office is different and no matter how we interpret the rules, we never know and never will. TM 28 is not being required Kingdom wide as of today, who knows what tomorrow will bring.

That seems crazy.. 

Not quite, I've had the original visa extended fourteen times and it's been extended in country..

I just had a thought, yea I know probably more like a brain fart...lol. I can foresee quite a few guys with mia noi's having a residence in her name in another province (if the guy is smart she will be in another province). What ya gonna' do, what ya gonna' do when the wife comes for you....lol. I don't think any of them will be filling out TM 30 or TM 28. If they do, a spate of "duck feeding" ensuing all over Thailand makes the news. Sorrow for the "gallows" humor, in my old profession we had sick humor, only way to survive.

Hi LivinLOS,

Win thumbsup.gif

He claims to have been here 15 years on an O-A visa.. 

O-A visas are issued outside of Thailand and not inside.. And generally only in your home country under stricter conditions.. I am guessing hes on a non imm O class extension, done incountry.. 

You would think if hes going to lecture, after all these years, he would know what he is staying under. 

My passport says it's a non-im OA visa, tell me also where you see I'm lecturing you, read it more carefully and in context and you'll see that I'm setting one individual straight?

What is your problem?

• Like 1

So lets say a tourist arrives at Suvarnabhumi airport and gets a taxi into Bangkok for a couple of nights, the address they use on the arrival form is the hotel in Bangkok.

After a few nights in Bangkok they get a taxi to Hua Hin and check into a hotel for two or three weeks, the rest of their holiday.

Do they now need to go to immigration within 24/48 hours of arriving at their new hotel in Hua Hin and report that they have changed address or is this taken care of by the house master who operates the hotel ?

What if you want to stay with friends or rent a condo/villa?

This is a load of bull.

• Like 1

That seems crazy.. 

Not quite, I've had the original visa extended fourteen times and it's been extended in country..

Then your are not on an O-A any longer.. 

OA gives 12 months each entry.. your extension does not. 

That seems crazy.. 

And this is relevant to what? Or have you taken on the role of proof reader to ensure accuracy of background minutiae in peoples posts!

Wonder how serious they are about this...or will it just be another transient 'crackdown', then business as usual. Motorcyclists are supposed to wear helmets...just look how that is enforced. I can just imagine hundreds of police shaking down unsuspecting tourists and fining them on the spot for not having their passports on them. I hope some huge signs are put up at the airport arrivals just to let tourists know the penalties of not carrying their passport at all times....then followed by 'have a nice day, come spend your money'thumbsup.gif

I don't get about much but have never been stopped and asked to see my passport, in 14 years. Only once of twice for my driver's licence. Apart from random checks I don't see how they can enforce this with the staff they have (police/immig). 

That seems crazy.. 

I have been getting extensions without leaving the country for more than 10 years and my passport the visa says OA.

And what about car and motorbike rentals who ask for passport deposit? Is this now illegal?

At least in my case it's always been illegal. I don't own the passport, it belongs to my native country and I'm not allowed to give it to anybody.

So when you leave you passport to a foreign consulate to get a visa you would be breaking the law ? 

No, is not so. Anywaycountries do not clearly stipulate who has property of the material passport book, so we're discussing on smoke. 

I can't speak for other countries but a UK passport is crown property and you are not allowed to leave it with anyone apart from UK embassies and consulates

• Like 1

And what about car and motorbike rentals who ask for passport deposit? Is this now illegal?

Not illegal. It just make a major fool and a potential victim of those who does that, check "MH370 stolen passports".

I mean the police should prohibit to car and motorbike rentals to ask for the passport. It is best to give a copy only, never give your passport as a deposit.

/* snip */

For the ID, they say a copy of your passport stamped by immigration is acceptable.  If I were coming in with no TDL, I'd ask the immigration guy who stamps my passport in to also stamp a copy of my passport that I had the foresight to print before I left for Thailand.  Maybe they will.  Maybe they won't.  Can't hurt to ask politely.

I guess I am much too logical and practical for Thailand, but my suggestion would be that at the point of entry the use all personal information they have in their computer to print a temporary visitor ID card. Photo from the mugshot camera, perhaps visa type as a watermark overlay, valid 90 days. Those reporting every 90 days get a fresh card. Do away with the departure slip, use the back of the card to note kind transport and date of exit for statistiks.

"Do away with the departure slip"

Great idea. There is already a bar-code on it.

A plastic laminated departure card for Aliens to carry with them would be a fantastic solution. Even if they charged a little for it it would still be a great facility and would make Thailand a truly tourist friendly country.

Just get immigration to stamp a second copy of the valid TM card. Job done.

That seems crazy.. 

Haven't you heard of an annual vacation / holiday? ... it is not that unusual... 

Seems easier to simply carry 2000 thb on one's person. A passport could be an invitation to even more fines or even confiscation. The likelihood of being singled out is up to the person. I don;t think this will go very far, as Thais generally hate confrontation, and something like this is nothing more to me, in my opinion, than another reason to have check points and road blocks. I can't see lone police officers going around taking on random tourists who can't understand him, and he can;t understand them. They usually do this in groups, and it is most auspicious when they do so.

Next...!

Does this include everywhere else? 

Meaning I only have to carry my Thai Drivers Licencse - no need to keep my passport or a copy with me as well?

Yes...seems like it...but wait there's more!

Whenever I go to visit the wife's family over the weekend (or go anywhere for more than 24 hours), I have to call her brother's (who are policemen) to tell them I'm coming! lol. Why doesn't immigration put tracking collars on all foreigners. They there we know where we all are 24/7. That's basically their goal. Tourists / backpackers who want to travel extensively, will just not want to come to Thailand for fear of being fined when they don't report their whereabouts. 

And could my wife be fined for not reporting I've lived in our house the last 14 years? (despite the fact we do 90 day reports!!!)

Just leave for an hour and come back and start the 24 hour cycle again? 

BKK/Ratchaburi....it's not very convenient. I just don't think this will be in any way enforced outside of tourist areas (and then only over a short period). Maybe time to go for 80% tint on my car windows laugh.png