Immigration: Foreigners must now carry valid ID at all times, report within 24 hours

I can't speak for other countries but a UK passport is crown property and you are not allowed to leave it with anyone apart from UK embassies and consulates

facepalm.gif Tell us when you get a visa for a foreign country you leave it to a foreign consulate, is that a crime for the UK ? Which section of which code would you teach us ?

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So lets say a tourist arrives at Suvarnabhumi airport and gets a taxi into Bangkok for a couple of nights, the address they use on the arrival form is the hotel in Bangkok.

After a few nights in Bangkok they get a taxi to Hua Hin and check into a hotel for two or three weeks, the rest of their holiday.

Do they now need to go to immigration within 24/48 hours of arriving at their new hotel in Hua Hin and report that they have changed address or is this taken care of by the house master who operates the hotel ?

What if you want to stay with friends or rent a condo/villa?

This is a load of bull.

The traveller to Hua Hin must file a TM.28, the friend or landlord of the condo/villa a TM.30. 

The forms that I've identified so far are :

TM.6 : arrival card for reporting your initial address in Thailand (It's my view that a TM.28 is not necessary for the first destination. I could be wrong.)

TM.28 : Change of residency notification, submitted by the Alien upon change of residence (Sections 37(2), 37(3) and 37(4) of Immigration Act

TM.30: Notification of an Alien residing on premises, submitted by the house master. Always necessary as per Section 38 of Immigration Act

TM.47: Section 37(5) of Immigration Act, this is the well known '90 day report'

Buy a box of A4 and a refillable ink printer if you plan to travel.

Immigration Act: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/doc/Immigration_Act.pdf

The forms: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 2

So lets say a tourist arrives at Suvarnabhumi airport and gets a taxi into Bangkok for a couple of nights, the address they use on the arrival form is the hotel in Bangkok.

After a few nights in Bangkok they get a taxi to Hua Hin and check into a hotel for two or three weeks, the rest of their holiday.

Do they now need to go to immigration within 24/48 hours of arriving at their new hotel in Hua Hin and report that they have changed address or is this taken care of by the house master who operates the hotel ?

This is a load of bull.

The traveller to Hua Hin must file a TM.28, the friend or landlord of the condo/villa a TM.30. 

TM.6 : arrival card for reporting your initial address in Thailand (It's my view that a TM.28 is not necessary for the first destination. I could be wrong.)

TM.28 : Change of residency notification, submitted by the Alien upon change of residence (Sections 37(2), 37(3) and 37(4) of Immigration Act

TM.30: Notification of an Alien residing on premises, submitted by the house master. Always necessary as per Section 38 of Immigration Act

Immigration Act: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/doc/Immigration_Act.pdf

I have been looking all evening for the law pertaining to the carrying of ID at all times. I doubt that it specifically mentions that Farangs should carry their passports at all times (even if it doesn't, it's up to Immigration to decide what qualifies as an ID. Any ideas, please?

When driving I always carry my Thai licence. The windows in my care a dark tint.... BUT the windscreen is a light tint which the police can see through.. My observations is that  many  cars I see  pulled over at police check points usually have a dark tint on their  windscreen.. As the police can't see who is in the car its almost natural that they will pull those cars over as the only way they can check is to stop you and look inside..  

I do 20000 k's p.a. and in 8 years have NEVER been pulled over to the side at a check point. In line I have  asked for my licence but that's as far as it's gone. I really  believe that is because as far as the police are concerned your biggest asset is being seen.

Also a dark windscreen at night is just dangerous..You can't  see things like a food cart or a motorbike with no lights.. And its worse if its raining.. In law  they are probably illegal . In Australia it's illegal and  the Police would put your car  off  the road.. But in amazing Thailand "farangs"  adapt very to being stupid in a very short time ..

As usual it all goes down to common sense.. James 

Yea, carry ID at all times. Nobody in their right mind is going to carry passport on a "night on the town". Do DL size copy of passport ID page and visa page, carry along with Thai drivers license. Be prepared in the near future to pay a fine and/or stay at cop shop until somebody produces your passport. My wife says if Thai caught without ID no fine, do not pass go, go straight to cop shop until somebody can produce ID. Quid pro quid? I don't think so.

I have been looking all evening for the law pertaining to the carrying of ID at all times. I doubt that it specifically mentions that Farangs should carry their passports at all times (even if it doesn't, it's up to Immigration to decide what qualifies as an ID. Any ideas, please?

I haven't found anything else except what I mentioned earlier, that it might be a part of the National Identity Card Act, of which I've been unable to find the actual text of. That would very likely affect Thais and foreigners alike.

• Like 1

I can't speak for other countries but a UK passport is crown property and you are not allowed to leave it with anyone apart from UK embassies and consulates

facepalm.gif Tell us when you get a visa for a foreign country you leave it to a foreign consulate, is that a crime for the UK ? Which section of which code would you teach us ?

For UK "Passports belong to the government and can be cancelled or withdrawn at any time." - Source https://www.gov.uk/british-passport-eligibility

This is a load of bull.

I have no doubt this is the law here (in relation to reporting your whereabouts).
I m just scratching my head wondering why after numerous entries to Thailand, no official has made any attempt to make these requirements known to me. The paperwork I got with my business visa doesnt mention it, although it does mention other requirements.
It would be easy to make incoming non-Thais aware of this requirement with simple printed matter distributed with your entry card when you enter the country.
If they want to get serious with this bullshit maybe they should consider getting serious about telling us about it.
Is that really so hard to work out?
And if they do get some printed matter organised, for God's sake get it proof read by someone with more than grade 1 standard English (or whatever language is being printed). The amount of gobble dee gook that gets produced by Thai sign writers and pamphlett producers then put/distributed in major tourist attractions is embarassing for Thailand and a massive loss of face.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

For UK "Passports belong to the government and can be cancelled or withdrawn at any time." - Source https://www.gov.uk/british-passport-eligibility

Sure, I suppose that would require valid legal reasons, not just having gave it to a foreign consulate or (foolishly) to a bike rental shop.

But, as the usual, this stuff that has little to do with the subject.

BTW, it's worth mentioning that the TM.28 should be submitted to the local police office, not an immigration office. That's what it says on the Act.

3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such alien resides, within twenty

– four hours from the time of arrival. In the case of change in residence in which new residence is not
located the same area with the former police stations , such alien must notify the police official of the
police station for that area within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival.

4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty – four hours , such
alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty – eight hours from the time
of arrival.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

BTW, it's worth mentioning that the TM.28 should be submitted to the local police office, not a an immigration office. That's what it says on the Act.

Yeah thanks, if I am visiting the In-laws, immigration is around 100km away while the police station is only around 5-10km.

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

Just out of curiosity .. the TM prefix, does it come from ตรวจคนเข้าเมือง, Truat khon khau Muang (Thai for immigration, literally inspecting people entering country) or something else ?

Sure, I suppose that would require valid legal reasons, not just having gave it to a foreign consulate or (foolishly) to a bike rental shop.

But, as the usual, this stuff that has little to do with the subject.

Only replying to your question about the UK which is relevant to some of the comments which gave rise to Jaggg88's comment and the questioning of whether it is legal for anyone in Thailand to demand a passport to be left for other than valid legal reasons as you say. smile.png

There is no discrimination here. Thais have to carry their ID card at all times too or face a fine. They also have to report travel to other province and change of residence. Don't see why expats should be allowed special rules.

Thais also pay a 2,000 baht fine.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There is no discrimination here. Thais have to carry their ID card at all times too or face a fine. 

@ "Ferang price"?

2,000 baht

Well, lovely. I just took a look at the TM.28 ( http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm28.pdf ) and it mentions Immigration Officer here and there, although it's used to report at a police station as per the Immigration Act. It looks like the immigration cooked that one up without tinking tuu mutt. At least the fine print is almost correct. 

The reason immigration won't know about these reports is that they are made at the police station. But it's still a part of the Immigration Act, so I guess they felt the need to make an official form for it blink.png TiT 100%.

Again, as with the unclear text/deffinition of, "apprehended" in the overstay issue,,,, many here are saying, if you stay in BKK,, do your 90 days report,, address,,, ok,,, ALL good,,,, so you go to Pattaya for a few days,,, check into a guest house/mom-pop hotel,,, Yes,,, upon check in,,, THEY are supposed to report your staying there to immigrations,,, but to avoid the taxes, hide your payment,, they don't,,, YOU assume they do this,,, get stopped, accident, etc, etc,,, coppers realize you've been in Pattaya 3 days,,, but you're STILL listed as living in BKK,,, YOU'RE at fault,, the way it reads,, the, "ALIEN" is to report their whereabouts within 48 hours of changing residence,,,, so although the mom/pop guest house is in the wrong for NOT reporting you checking in,,, YOU'RE still technically in the wrong,, for not reporting to local cop shop/immigrations,,, SO you're required to make SURE the hotel/guest house, etc,, abides by the law.... so again,,, huge, "tea money moment",,,, AGAIN they're leaving a LOT of interpretation up to the copper that has stopped you!

Edited by Adeeos

Ok, here's a couple of questions. I live in a house in Hua Hin, I rent it from the owner and my details have been entered directly on the immigration website.

What happens if  I go away for a weekend to a different province ? Do I then become registered somewhere else ?

For example I went to Bangkok for about 5 or 6 days last month. The hotel I stayed in will have reported my presence there to immigration, I have no doubt about that.

Does this mean that when I return to Hua Hin the house owner needs to re-enter my details into the online immigration system and I also need to go down to the immigration office and fill out this new form ?

If this is the case then I'm guessing that I would need to do this every time I go to Bangkok for a long weekend, potentially when I arrive in Bangkok and when I return to Hua Hin.

The article doesn't specify what constitutes a valid Driver's License.  Does my florida state US Driver's license count?  Does any foreign driver's license count?  Will officials now be trained as some bar bouncers are and carry a book of samples of driver's licenses?  I always carry a color photocopy of my passport ID page on me.  I really would not ever contemplate always carrying my Passport around with me. 

The article doesn't specify what constitutes a valid Driver's License.  Does my florida state US Driver's license count?  Does any foreign driver's license count?  Will officials now be trained as some bar bouncers are and carry a book of samples of driver's licenses?  I always carry a color photocopy of my passport ID page on me.  I really would not ever contemplate always carrying my Passport around with me. 

All that is pointless now. Big boss spoke and scared small boss away. Read updated thread.

Edited by paz

You better start reading this:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747424-hua-hin-immigration-clarifies-rules-on-foreigners-carrying-id/?p=8172813

There it states only the original passport is allowed and not your driving license or a copy of your passport

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

asean, you are very wrong. Thai people do not have to report temporary travel to anywhere and why should they? Where in hell did you get this from? My wife has lived in different places without ever reporting, when she got Blue Book for our residence then she changed from her ville residence, not before. They do not pay fine. If Thais do not have ID they do not pass go, do not pay, they go to cop shop until somebody brings ID. This from my wife.

ukrules, if this was being enforced Kingdom wide you are correct. Not just the hotel, but you have to report your presence out of province to local cop shop. When you return, both your landlord and you have to fill out and report, again, you in person at local cop shop. Pain in the ass if it is enacted Kingdom wide. As William Bendix used to say on Life of Riley, "what a revolting development this is". Oops, showed my age.

ukrules, if this was being enforced Kingdom wide you are correct. Not just the hotel, but you have to report your presence out of province to local cop shop. When you return, both your landlord and you have to fill out and report, again, you in person at local cop shop. Pain in the ass if it is enacted Kingdom wide. As William Bendix used to say on Life of Riley, "what a revolting development this is". Oops, showed my age.

There's going be 100's of people lining up at every immigration office all day every day when it gets to the high season if this is fully enforced.

• Like 1

the way I read, they/we will be at cop shop, unless it is for TM 30 which can be done online, except for the home owner, landlord, wife, etc. that isn't set up for this. Yea, a real pain in the ass. Screw it.

There's going be 100's of people lining up at every immigration office all day every day when it gets to the high season if this is fully enforced.

They won't bother.

If they are forced to or fined they will not return to the Kingdom.

This will never be enforced in reality..