Immigration: Foreigners must now carry valid ID at all times, report within 24 hours

It is illegal to go out in public without state issued ID in USA. It has been the law for decades. At the very least, you must know your drivers license number so the police can run you for wants and warrants. The difference is they cannot stop you without probable cause and in California it is illegal for the police to ask about your immigration status.

Sent from my GT-S7270 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 1

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i find it interesting that HH was chosen?, possibly due to high retirement visas (does this give an indication of future events)...also very few Asian tourists in HH

Would have been more telling and interesting if Pattaya was the first place chosen as the trail.....for me it stinks, I remember E/W Berlin and this is going very close to how it was there

Funny post, keep it up please

At least in my case it's always been illegal. I don't own the passport, it belongs to my native country and I'm not allowed to give it to anybody.

So when you leave you passport to a foreign consulate to get a visa you would be breaking the law ? 

No, is not so. Anywaycountries do not clearly stipulate who has property of the material passport book, so we're discussing on smoke. 

Don't know which country you're from but my UK passport states

This passport remains the property of Her Majesty's Government in the United Kingdom.....

So the ownership is clearly not with the passport holder but with the issuer. At least in the case of UK.

It also states

...or passed to an unauthorised person.

Police, immigration, courts, embassies, consulates etc. would IMO be authorised. Motorcycle renters would not.

Edited by Keesters

I try not contribute to Thai Visa too much too many grumpy old men on here. but knowhere in 23 pages of this thread has anyone mentioned why all government departments are currently jumping thru hopes to enforce existing laws. Every department currently has a presence from the military in their offices, and the chief military man heading up the NCPR (or whatever its Acronym is) has stated on national television not so much that he doesnt like farang, but he virtually implies this, explaining to the nation what a problem we are. I was sitting with my wife whilst he went on about the problems we bring for the best part of an hour, and the look on my wifes face kind of said it all...she knew our lives where about to get more complicated. The immigration officials themselves know that most of these rules are complete overkill and virtually unenforceable, but even so all the time this current regime persists they have to do what the military tells them..even if as professional immigration officers they know its ridiculous.  The immigration office in Hua Hin pretty much know who all the long term stayers are and who are responsible aliens and who are not! I expect most of them feel the same way we do about the latest round of farang bashing, and just want to let off a big sigh, becuase if things carry on going the way they are they too will be out of a job becuase there wont be any aliens for them to process!

You are exactly correct.  And, I always note that the most regular voices here, don't seem to have any real knowledge of Thai politics or history.  They really seem to believe this country exists only as a retirement home for them.

In some respects their view is correct and yours is about face!

There's only a limited number of legitimate reasons to be in Thailand: full time and permanently as a retiree or business owner, full time but temporarily as an employee/student or temporarily as a visitor/tourist. The current problem is that the last group wants the same rights as the first two groups and are upset because they've now been prevented from having those rights, I mean, you don't hear of any expat retirees/business owners complaining that they have to report their address every time they change location nor that that they have to carry ID, they do those things anyway because they know those are the rules and they abide by them.

So yes, the retirees here do believe that Thailand exist in part as their retirement home, the problem is with everyone else wanting the same rights and privileges and without wanting to abide by the rules. Envy is an ugly trait.

By avoiding the content of the person's comments, which are based in factual observations about events which are being reported around the world at this time, you show an utter (purposeful) ignorace of the political situation of the country you are in.  As if that weren't telling enough, you then make a completely biased statement of unquestioned self-entitlement, to claim there is no problem.  Not a problem for you, you mean, so then a problem supposedly doesn't exist.  Sadly, and typically, selfish and short-sighted of your set.

You always claim yourselves to be 'better for Thailand', and yet, there is never any evidence of that  The things the retirement crowd come here to do, they aren't more noble, or a better representation of the western world.  You're just - at least, from what I've seen over the years - more self-entitled.

And also, are you proposing that all old Thai's be given free reign to move to the UK now, in exchange?  No - because then those people would be called 'riff raff' by most of the same crowd.  That's because the UK has social benefits, whereas Thailand has none.   But then, if Thialand has no social benefits to take advantage of, then what harm is a person under retirement age doing by living in Thailand?  Why isn't the focus on working illegally being focused on the places where people would be working illegally, and not just 'all foreigners'?  And, how does focusing on tourists etc, deal with education for poor Thais?  How does it address rampant prostution or a crushing class system for Thais?  Let me guess....'that's just the way it is'.  Right?  So, at the end, what makes you 'legitimate', is that you couldn't care less about the people around you.

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 1

camping now illlegal

overnight kayak or canoe trips now illegal

overnight trekking now illegal

live aboard dive trips now illegal

yatch trips now illegal

overnight trips to outer island now illegal

Thailands unique selling points used to be:

1. Freedom

2. Surf, sand and sun

3. Sex

Cross freedom of that list.  And due to overdevelopment the beaches are now a biohazard.

That leaves just sex.  But I imagine that many of the punters enjoying that USP are now without a viable visa option.

I wonder if the Junta will start clearing the beer bars?

is it just me or do others detect a "trend" here?

The trend I detect is many expats and tourist taking their dollars and baht to other countries to spend.

I understand making it difficult for the irresponsible, low life "overstayers" ans other schemers  to remain in Thailand.

Everyone will benefit from that. 

Making it difficult for responsible, expats and tourists who are very good for the Thai economy is just plain foolish! 

Nobody will benefit from that...except other countries.

not having to see so many ugly farang dragging around last nights catch will benefit us all.

What's amazing in comments like this, is that you honestly seem to believe yourself to be a cut above somehow.

27 pages for a no news item!! Unbelievable, you expats living in Thailand blink.png

This has always been the law.facepalm.gif

No wonder the authorities are closing the loopholes. Getting rid of the driftwood. thumbsup.gif

What's the longest you've managed to go without alcohol this year?  A couple hours?  Are you even able to make it through a whole day without drinking?  Fine, upstanding farang.

Edited by John1thru10

It is illegal to go out in public without state issued ID in USA. It has been the law for decades. At the very least, you must know your drivers license number so the police can run you for wants and warrants. The difference is they cannot stop you without probable cause and in California it is illegal for the police to ask about your immigration status.

BS.... I worked in the US for  over two years and never had a state ID or carried my passport oh and i never had a US drivers license either and was stopped by the cops quite a few times, maybe it was because of my cute "British accent " ...laugh.png  showed them my home license and sent on my my way

funny enough though, the US marine Corp tried to recruit me on few occassions as well... dont know what that was about rolleyes.gif

so stop taking rubblish

Well I have been here for 6 years and the helmet/motorcycle law is now fully 7% implemented.  Any guesses for how long it will take this to be fully implemented thru out the country?

3 years ago i moved into a shop house and got the required form from the internet and had the landlady sign it.  Went to immigration to present it.  Just got funny faces and weird stares.  What is it?  Where you get?  No need!  Not do!  Why you have form that have Thai logo?  No good deed goes unpunished.

whistling.gif

• Like 1

"Hua Hin Immigration is from today also enforcing the requirements that you and your landlord (condominium owner, house owner etc) must report to Immigration within 24 hours of moving in to a new address. On your arrival card you already reported your place of stay, and if that changes you need to visit Immigration and report your new address."

......kind of a hassle for those on a tour of Thailand?

And what happens if the house owner is overseas???

27 pages for a no news item!! Unbelievable, you expats living in Thailand blink.png

No wonder the authorities are closing the loopholes. Getting rid of the driftwood. thumbsup.gif

LL they can't conform in their own country don't want to conform in Thailand, the lost people where now for them,Somalia?

• Like 1

If no Immigration office in the area... police station ..

What is definition of " area" ? The block? The village? The district?   These kind of vague instructions are what are maddening.

Here's what I have gleaned expats do not need to do anything UNLESS they change their address. Traveling to Bangkok or wherever for a week is taken care of by the hotel. If you stay in a private home, then yes, you or the house owner/ lesee must report.

The online instructions are just as bad... needing" a letter from authorized person.." and a blank CD.. good grief

YIKES

However I agree with these rules, IF they are enforced evenly. Many crooks settle in Thailand as it has been so lackadaisical.

But I would also like to get any new rule changes notifications in the mail- they have my address.... And I'd also like the local immigration to follow the rules to the letter, which means granting me 1 year extensions, and not playing the " How much can you pay game..."

BS.... I worked in the US for  over two years and never had a state ID or carried my passport oh and i never had a US drivers license either and was stopped by the cops quite a few times, maybe it was because of my cute "British accent " ...laugh.png  showed them my home license and sent on my my way

funny enough though, the US marine Corp tried to recruit me on few occassions as well... dont know what that was about rolleyes.gif

so stop taking rubblish

Technically speaking, it's the law - the same as in EU as well.  In reality, I've traveled all over the world constantly for decades, and I've never once been asked to show a passport except while entering or exiting.

Whereas at this time in Thailand, it will probably become endemic, along with more and more fines - while these guys here say it's suppoedly the same as 'everywhere'.  That's the difference.

Edited by John1thru10

is it just me or do others detect a "trend" here?

The trend I detect is many expats and tourist taking their dollars and baht to other countries to spend.

I understand making it difficult for the irresponsible, low life "overstayers" ans other schemers  to remain in Thailand.

Everyone will benefit from that. 

Making it difficult for responsible, expats and tourists who are very good for the Thai economy is just plain foolish! 

Nobody will benefit from that...except other countries.
What trend are you talking about... I can't see any trend here.

Thailand has decided they will not allow people to abuse the law. What wrong with that. It's only people there WAS abusing the law there has problems and this people want Thailand to get rid off.

Again people is crying and screaming like spoiled child's about this.

You are allowed to stay here if you follow the laws.

Get you a correct visa to stay here.
Have you income or money in the bank
Carry you ID

Then you won't have any problem and absolute not a trend

Enjoy you stay or lives here :)
The fact that you can't see a trend doesn't mean it's not there, you may just be a little bit blind or a little bit dumb.

Or Judging by the quality of your English, maybe you aren't sure what the word trend means? So I will tell you.

It means a general tendency of events to move in a particular direction. Got that? So, we've had crackdowns and tightening of the law in terms of back to back visa, tourist visas, illegal working, overstay rules and now the carrying of ID. So there is most certainly a trend in the direction of cracking down on foreigners. That, my friend, is abundantly clear. The questions are whether the methods employed are fair and constructive or just a kind of xenophobic knee jerk reaction and how far the trend will go.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You can call me everything, it always easer to shoot the messenger, then read a other persons opinion:)
Agree with you there is a trend to crackdown on foreigner there is not follow the law, finding loopholes. This crackdown IMHO is good, because of the abuse. So who are the ones the are using the loopholes? Foreigner maybe.

About my English, yes it's not my first language , but still able to read and write basic, but still proud am able to write more than one language :)
  • Like 1

What's the longest you've managed to go without alcohol this year?  A couple hours?  Are you even able to make it through a whole day without drinking?  Fine, upstanding farang.

What? I guess you are one of the driftwood. I'm guessing you are one of the border runners ex border runners too.

As with any announcement from Immgration, I am always left with more questions than I have answers...

So are tourists here for two weeks now meant to take their passports to the beach, trekking through the jungle or in a soapy massage??

Yes. Its always been this way. Nothing has changed.

What? I guess you are one of the driftwood. I'm guessing you are one of the border runners ex border runners too.

He does have a point. This is not news. I'm sure thaivisa got plenty of visits and clicks though.
  • Like 1

It clearly states fail to report is a thb 2000 fine !

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And Thai law clearly states prostitution and exceeding highway speed limits are illegal.

No response to prostitution, but we receive not one, but two tickets for speeding from out last trip to Tak.  Never had a speeding ticket in the past, despite many trips traveling at the same speed.  I suppose the general has recognized that turning on the speed cameras can result in significant revenues for the government.  I should also mention that both tickets combined are about 1/3 of what I would be fined for simply running a stop sign in my home country.  Still, this change makes Thailand less attractive in my eyes as part of the reason we are here is the freedom.  Without that I might as well go home and enjoy infrastructure, good schools, cleanliness, less pollution...oh the list goes on and on.  I think you all understand.

Not everyone can handle the cleanup on corruption, and the enforcing equally of laws. Not having the ability to buy off those speeding tickets must have hurt.  There are still those police that will try to exploit this renewed enforcement, but now there are real direct lines for complaints, and they are acted on by the military, something that never happened in the past, with lots of people fearful for their life in even lodging a complaint. I have had police refuse bribes now. Something that wasn't even questioned by the same officers a few months ago.

This renewed enforcement will have no effect on real tourists at all. Those police that try to exploit the no ID fine will be identified real fast, and negatively dealt with by the military, if the trend that is happening now continues, and with the majority of the people supporting their actions growing every day, the trend will continue. There are lots more people every day not afraid to report on corruption, something that would have gotten them killed in the not to distant past.

There could be an actual changing of the laws to legalize prostitution, rather than put all those people out of work, and in the process end the mafia, and corruption that goes with it now. Redirecting all that tea money into the government coffers could be done by the military in their anti-corruption campaign very easily. They sure as hell aren't going to end it, and put all those people out of work, and probably bankrupting a quarter of Isaan in the process, but it will also be real hard for them to ignore it, as they go after other areas of corrupt practices.

The next 3 years are going to be a very interesting time in Thailand for those living here legally, and above board.

• Like 2

It clearly states fail to report is a thb 2000 fine !

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And Thai law clearly states prostitution and exceeding highway speed limits are illegal.

No response to prostitution, but we receive not one, but two tickets for speeding from out last trip to Tak.  Never had a speeding ticket in the past, despite many trips traveling at the same speed.  I suppose the general has recognized that turning on the speed cameras can result in significant revenues for the government.  I should also mention that both tickets combined are about 1/3 of what I would be fined for simply running a stop sign in my home country.  Still, this change makes Thailand less attractive in my eyes as part of the reason we are here is the freedom.  Without that I might as well go home and enjoy infrastructure, good schools, cleanliness, less pollution...oh the list goes on and on.  I think you all understand.

Not everyone can handle the cleanup on corruption, and the enforcing equally of laws. Not having the ability to buy off those speeding tickets must have hurt.  There are still those police that will try to exploit this renewed enforcement, but now there are real direct lines for complaints, and they are acted on by the military, something that never happened in the past, with lots of people fearful for their life in even lodging a complaint. I have had police refuse bribes now. Something that wasn't even questioned by the same officers a few months ago.

This renewed enforcement will have no effect on real tourists at all. Those police that try to exploit the no ID fine will be identified real fast, and negatively dealt with by the military, if the trend that is happening now continues, and with the majority of the people supporting their actions growing every day, the trend will continue. There are lots more people every day not afraid to report on corruption, something that would have gotten them killed in the not to distant past.

There could be an actual changing of the laws to legalize prostitution, rather than put all those people out of work, and in the process end the mafia, and corruption that goes with it now. Redirecting all that tea money into the government coffers could be done by the military in their anti-corruption campaign very easily. They sure as hell aren't going to end it, and put all those people out of work, and probably bankrupting a quarter of Isaan in the process, but it will also be real hard for them to ignore it, as they go after other areas of corrupt practices.

The next 3 years are going to be a very interesting time in Thailand for those living here legally, and above board.

I have no problem with the cleanup in corruption, in fact I am all for it.  However, the cleanup in corruption doesn't address all the other factors I mentioned, which are substandard and if I am going to deal with a country that actually lives by the rule of law it might as well be in a country where other basic factors have been addressed.  I'm sure Thailand will get there in time if they continue in the same direction they have started in, but it is going to take a very long time in my opinion.  In the meantime we will go back to my home country, where my daughter will receive a proper education, and once she has finished school we can consider coming back to Thailand...dependent of course on what changes have occurred here in the intervening 14 years.

Oh, as for buying off the tickets...I've never done so.  I always go through the hassle of paying them in person as should be done.    wai.gif

And considering that they were 400 and 600 baht respectively I didn't even blink an eyelash.

So there is most certainly a trend in the direction of cracking down on foreigners.

I disagree. If there is a trend, it's towards everyone respecting all laws.
Thai people are concerned by all kind of crackdowns too. Certainly not foreigners only.

Except many Thai laws are intentionally vague and broad catch alls to be enforced at will.. 

If every law was enforced the country would grind to a halt. 

• Like 2

So im going to go out on a limb here. Does this mean if you planned a trip to another part of the country, say Koh Samui, or Chaing Rai and stayed more than 48 hour's you must report to immigration your hotel or guest house address??

No the hotel will do it for you. You are allowed to travel everywhere. It's the hotels problem. Enjoy you trip

Thats not what the law says.. You can keep repeating it, and possibly the actual law will be ignored.. But the law clearly states that theres "another" reporting consideration that the 'alien' must do themselves. 

As with any announcement from Immgration, I am always left with more questions than I have answers...

So are tourists here for two weeks now meant to take their passports to the beach, trekking through the jungle or in a soapy massage??

Yes. Its always been this way. Nothing has changed.

The legal requirement to self report each address change of longer than 24 hours, if enforced, is the change people are concerned about. 

Could the "theres no news here" people finally read and understand that ?? The actual law makes it clear that this is needed, enforcing it will be a nightmare for all parties. 

• Like 1

There is a big silver lining in this announcement -

For years the debate about carrying a passport or not has been a Thai Visa staple, guaranteed to run many pages every time it comes up. Everyone has their opinions on the issue but the bottom line is that the law requires it, no one wants to comply, and enforcement has been mostly limited to situations where a policeman wanted leverage over you.

Now, if this news from Hua Hin actually becomes national policy, the debate is over and we are the winners. It will be policy that a Thai DL will be accepted as proper ID. It will be policy that those without a Thai DL can carry a certified copy of their passport in lieu of the real thing. Maybe Immigration will even jump in with a plan to hand you a duplicate of your arrival card with the expiration date on it that you can put in your wallet.

How can this not be good news?