Immigration: Foreigners must now carry valid ID at all times, report within 24 hours

"Not everyone can handle the cleanup on corruption....I have had police refuse bribes now."

So, you call yourself legitimate and 'above board', but are in the habit of offering bribes?  Doesn't that state you have relied on corruption, before this?

____

"This renewed enforcement will have no effect on real tourists at all."

Except that, in fact, tourism is WAY down.

____

"There are lots more people every day not afraid to report on corruption, something that would have gotten them killed in the not to distant past."

So, you are saying the police in Thailand go around killing farangs?  I don't believe you, and that is a very negative stereotype of Thai people.

____

"There could be an actual changing of the laws to legalize prostitution, rather than put all those people out of work"

So, your propsed solution to millions of young women having to rely of sex tourism (instead of a real education), is to legalize sex tourism so that you can say it's not a problem anymore?  That's rather sociopathic of you.

___

"The next 3 years are going to be a very interesting time in Thailand for those living here legally, and above board."

You don't sound like a very 'legal and above board' person, frankly.

Edited by John1thru10

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So im going to go out on a limb here. Does this mean if you planned a trip to another part of the country, say Koh Samui, or Chaing Rai and stayed more than 48 hour's you must report to immigration your hotel or guest house address??

No the hotel will do it for you. You are allowed to travel everywhere. It's the hotels problem. Enjoy you trip

Thats not what the law says.. You can keep repeating it, and possibly the actual law will be ignored.. But the law clearly states that theres "another" reporting consideration that the 'alien' must do themselves. 

Maybe your right. But what I have being told by immigration and hotel owners. The hotel/landlord / guesthouse/ even visitors house will be fined if they don't report it. Let's say you have a condo as the place you live. Then this is you residents. When traveling around they always know where you are cause of the reporting online system there have. Only the landlord has to go an register you, and then you have to register yourself as residents on that address. But maybe I'm wrong :)

All the Thai people I know never report to any one when they go see their family all across the country...not sure the many millions I don't know do report by the way  blink.png

And at least half the Thais I know still "live" in their home province even though they have been working in BKK for years, so they have to go "home" to vote and have never reported living in BKK. Which is probably at least part of the reason nobody knows BKK's real population accurately

So im going to go out on a limb here. Does this mean if you planned a trip to another part of the country, say Koh Samui, or Chaing Rai and stayed more than 48 hour's you must report to immigration your hotel or guest house address??

No the hotel will do it for you. You are allowed to travel everywhere. It's the hotels problem. Enjoy you trip

Thats not what the law says.. You can keep repeating it, and possibly the actual law will be ignored.. But the law clearly states that theres "another" reporting consideration that the 'alien' must do themselves. 

Maybe your right. But what I have being told by immigration and hotel owners. The hotel/landlord / guesthouse/ even visitors house will be fined if they don't report it. Let's say you have a condo as the place you live. Then this is you residents. When traveling around they always know where you are cause of the reporting online system there have. Only the landlord has to go an register you, and then you have to register yourself as residents on that address. But maybe I'm wrong smile.png

youre wrong

• Like 2

You are exactly correct.  And, I always note that the most regular voices here, don't seem to have any real knowledge of Thai politics or history.  They really seem to believe this country exists only as a retirement home for them.

In some respects their view is correct and yours is about face!

There's only a limited number of legitimate reasons to be in Thailand: full time and permanently as a retiree or business owner, full time but temporarily as an employee/student or temporarily as a visitor/tourist. The current problem is that the last group wants the same rights as the first two groups and are upset because they've now been prevented from having those rights, I mean, you don't hear of any expat retirees/business owners complaining that they have to report their address every time they change location nor that that they have to carry ID, they do those things anyway because they know those are the rules and they abide by them.

So yes, the retirees here do believe that Thailand exist in part as their retirement home, the problem is with everyone else wanting the same rights and privileges and without wanting to abide by the rules. Envy is an ugly trait.

By avoiding the content of the person's comments, which are based in factual observations about events which are being reported around the world at this time, you show an utter (purposeful) ignorace of the political situation of the country you are in.  As if that weren't telling enough, you then make a completely biased statement of unquestioned self-entitlement, to claim there is no problem.  Not a problem for you, you mean, so then a problem supposedly doesn't exist.  Sadly, and typically, selfish and short-sighted of your set.

You always claim yourselves to be 'better for Thailand', and yet, there is never any evidence of that  The things the retirement crowd come here to do, they aren't more noble, or a better representation of the western world.  You're just - at least, from what I've seen over the years - more self-entitled.

And also, are you proposing that all old Thai's be given free reign to move to the UK now, in exchange?  No - because then those people would be called 'riff raff' by most of the same crowd.  That's because the UK has social benefits, whereas Thailand has none.   But then, if Thialand has no social benefits to take advantage of, then what harm is a person under retirement age doing by living in Thailand?  Why isn't the focus on working illegally being focused on the places where people would be working illegally, and not just 'all foreigners'?  And, how does focusing on tourists etc, deal with education for poor Thais?  How does it address rampant prostution or a crushing class system for Thais?  Let me guess....'that's just the way it is'.  Right?  So, at the end, what makes you 'legitimate', is that you couldn't care less about the people around you.

Because the law of the land says they can't and it's very clear on this point how difficult can that be to understand!

The rest of what you've written is simply opinion and blah de-blah that is presented as fact.

[quote name="AYJAYDEE" post="8171670" timestamp="1406697766"]

[quote name="carstenp" post="8171658" timestamp="1406697597"]

[quote name="LivinLOS" post="8171588" timestamp="1406696796"]
 [quote name="carstenp" post="8170623" timestamp="1406685125"]
 [quote name="Alan653" post="8170598" timestamp="1406684821"]
So im going to go out on a limb here. Does this mean if you planned a trip to another part of the country, say Koh Samui, or Chaing Rai and stayed more than 48 hour's you must report to immigration your hotel or guest house address??[/quote]No the hotel will do it for you. You are allowed to travel everywhere. It's the hotels problem. Enjoy you trip
 [/quote] 
Thats not what the law says.. You can keep repeating it, and possibly the actual law will be ignored.. But the law clearly states that theres "another" reporting consideration that the 'alien' must do themselves. [/quote]
Maybe your right. But what I have being told by immigration and hotel owners. The hotel/landlord / guesthouse/ even visitors house will be fined if they don't report it. Let's say you have a condo as the place you live. Then this is you residents. When traveling around they always know where you are cause of the reporting online system there have. Only the landlord has to go an register you, and then you have to register yourself as residents on that address. But maybe I'm wrong smile.png
 [/quote]
youre wrong[/quote]

I will bow in the dust for you. I can't find the letter for 2 years ago , where the rules was enforced. :)

So im going to go out on a limb here. Does this mean if you planned a trip to another part of the country, say Koh Samui, or Chaing Rai and stayed more than 48 hour's you must report to immigration your hotel or guest house address??[/quote]No the hotel will do it for you. You are allowed to travel everywhere. It's the hotels problem. Enjoy you trip
 [/quote] 
Thats not what the law says.. You can keep repeating it, and possibly the actual law will be ignored.. But the law clearly states that theres "another" reporting consideration that the 'alien' must do themselves. [/quote]
 [/quote]
youre wrong

I will bow in the dust for you. I can't find the letter for 2 years ago , where the rules was enforced. smile.png

all he said was the law exists. and he agreed it may be ignored. 

Thanks to George PuYai, ThaiVisa, and the collective intelligentsia. When you get it all figured out, please let me know. Meanwhile, I am a reclusive homebody and hardly ever go anywhere so, for now, I don't really care.

• Like 1

You are exactly correct.  And, I always note that the most regular voices here, don't seem to have any real knowledge of Thai politics or history.  They really seem to believe this country exists only as a retirement home for them.

In some respects their view is correct and yours is about face!

There's only a limited number of legitimate reasons to be in Thailand: full time and permanently as a retiree or business owner, full time but temporarily as an employee/student or temporarily as a visitor/tourist. The current problem is that the last group wants the same rights as the first two groups and are upset because they've now been prevented from having those rights, I mean, you don't hear of any expat retirees/business owners complaining that they have to report their address every time they change location nor that that they have to carry ID, they do those things anyway because they know those are the rules and they abide by them.

So yes, the retirees here do believe that Thailand exist in part as their retirement home, the problem is with everyone else wanting the same rights and privileges and without wanting to abide by the rules. Envy is an ugly trait.

By avoiding the content of the person's comments, which are based in factual observations about events which are being reported around the world at this time, you show an utter (purposeful) ignorace of the political situation of the country you are in.  As if that weren't telling enough, you then make a completely biased statement of unquestioned self-entitlement, to claim there is no problem.  Not a problem for you, you mean, so then a problem supposedly doesn't exist.  Sadly, and typically, selfish and short-sighted of your set.

You always claim yourselves to be 'better for Thailand', and yet, there is never any evidence of that  The things the retirement crowd come here to do, they aren't more noble, or a better representation of the western world.  You're just - at least, from what I've seen over the years - more self-entitled.

And also, are you proposing that all old Thai's be given free reign to move to the UK now, in exchange?  No - because then those people would be called 'riff raff' by most of the same crowd.  That's because the UK has social benefits, whereas Thailand has none.   But then, if Thialand has no social benefits to take advantage of, then what harm is a person under retirement age doing by living in Thailand?  Why isn't the focus on working illegally being focused on the places where people would be working illegally, and not just 'all foreigners'?  And, how does focusing on tourists etc, deal with education for poor Thais?  How does it address rampant prostution or a crushing class system for Thais?  Let me guess....'that's just the way it is'.  Right?  So, at the end, what makes you 'legitimate', is that you couldn't care less about the people around you.

Because the law of the land says they can't and it's very clear on this point how difficult can that be to understand!

The rest of what you've written is simply opinion and blah de-blah that is presented as fact.

So, you are in support of Thailand's immigration system being out of balance with the rest of the civilized world, and discriminating against Thais in the process - as long as you can take advantage of those loop holes for yourself?  That is what you mean.

And, the rest of what you write is simply opinion and blah de-blah that is presented as fact.  Although, the 'blah de-blah' you dismiss are actual news events reported around the world at this time.  You might know that if you had any actual interest in Thailand beyond what you can exploit out of loop holes for yourself.   Just stop trying to present yourself as so beyond reproach.  Your motivations are not so much highter than anyone you complain about - you just tout the excuses as if they reflect on your character somehow.  They don't.

Edited by John1thru10

Edit. Removed quotes

Find this from marts last year

According to section 38 of the 1979 immigration act, "House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels who accommodate foreign nationals on a temporary basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national." If there is no immigration office in the province or locality of the respective house or hotel, the notification is made to the local police station. In Bangkok the notification is made to the Immigration Bureau. The notification of residence of foreign nationals is made by the manager of licensed hotels according to the hotel act, owners of guesthouses, mansions, apartments and rented houses using the form TM. 30. Edited by carstenp

[quote name="carstenp" post="8171691" timestamp="1406698000"]
[quote name="AYJAYDEE" post="8171670" timestamp="1406697766"]

[/quote] 
 [/quote]
youre wrong[/quote]

I will bow in the dust for you. I can't find the letter for 2 years ago , where the rules was enforced. smile.png[/quote]
all he said was the law exists. and he agreed it may be ignored. 

Find this from marts last year

According to section 38 of the 1979 immigration act, "House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels who accommodate foreign nationals on a temporary basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national." If there is no immigration office in the province or locality of the respective house or hotel, the notification is made to the local police station. In Bangkok the notification is made to the Immigration Bureau. The notification of residence of foreign nationals is made by the manager of licensed hotels according to the hotel act, owners of guesthouses, mansions, apartments and rented houses using the form TM. 30.

you forgot form 28

So, you are in support of Thailand's immigration system being out of balance with the rest of the civilized world, and discriminating against Thais in the process - as long as you can take advantage of those loop holes for yourself?  That is what you mean.

And, the rest of what you write is simply opinion and blah de-blah that is presented as fact.  Although, the 'blah de-blah' you dismiss are actual news events reported around the world at this time.  You might know that if you had any actual interest in Thailand beyong what you can get out of it by exploiting those loop holes for yourself.

Yes, if that's what Thailand wants, it's their country and the Thai's are free to make whatever laws they wish, of course I support that, nowhere is it written that one country must follow the example set by others..

And please do tell us what loop holes I'm exploiting? I've had a fully legit O-A visa here every year for the past fifteen and my contributions to the Thai economy are fairly substantial. In addition I do my social part by sponsoring two family members through university, are those the "loop holes" you refer to - what you know about my "actual interests in Thailand" amounts to slightly less than zip!

• Like 1

The fact that you can't see a trend doesn't mean it's not there, you may just be a little bit blind or a little bit dumb.

Or Judging by the quality of your English, maybe you aren't sure what the word trend means? So I will tell you.

It means a general tendency of events to move in a particular direction. Got that? So, we've had crackdowns and tightening of the law in terms of back to back visa, tourist visas, illegal working, overstay rules and now the carrying of ID. So there is most certainly a trend in the direction of cracking down on foreigners. That, my friend, is abundantly clear. The questions are whether the methods employed are fair and constructive or just a kind of xenophobic knee jerk reaction and how far the trend will go.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

We have also had crackdowns on airport taxi mafia, moto-sai mafia, illegal gambling, possession of war weapons, illegal encroachment on public beaches, National Parks and forestry reserves and heaven knows what else....are these a crackdown on foreigners too?. Sure there is a trend, a trend to enforce laws (for a change) ..but perhaps some people here who think the sky is crashing down on them, and them alone, are the xenophobic ones.

• Like 1

It is illegal to go out in public without state issued ID in USA. It has been the law for decades. At the very least, you must know your drivers license number so the police can run you for wants and warrants. The difference is they cannot stop you without probable cause and in California it is illegal for the police to ask about your immigration status.

Sent from my GT-S7270 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

BS.... I worked in the US for  over two years and never had a state ID or carried my passport oh and i never had a US drivers license either and was stopped by the cops quite a few times, maybe it was because of my cute "British accent " ...laugh.png  showed them my home license and sent on my my way

funny enough though, the US marine Corp tried to recruit me on few occassions as well... dont know what that was about rolleyes.gif

so stop taking rubblish

You did carry recognized ID with you at all times though. The US recognizes legally issued official government ID, that is not expired, from other countries. Your interpretation of what he meant by "State issued ID" was wrongly interpreted. Replace "Government" for "State", and notice that he used the word "in the USA", not "from the USA", and you'll better understand his meaning.

If your government issued the official picture ID, and it is not expired, then it is accepted in the US as legitimate ID. Most just use their passport, but picture drivers licenses are accepted, as long as they aren't expired, and yes, you technically must have legal ID with you at all times in the US.

You also technically should have gotten a US drivers license, in the state you were in if you were working. As a tourist you don't have to, but working there you technically should have.

The Marines are always looking for a few good men, and must have mistaken you for someone else....lolol. In the past during war time joining the US military was an avenue to gain citizenship. They might have mistaken you for an illegal, needing US citizenship.

I'm not feeling very wecome here anymore. I think I'll pack up the wife and kids and go back to my own country to spend my money. Starting to sound more and more like China over here. Anybody with me?

It is indeed. And exactly because China is a police state, we expect them to act like that and don't complain too much about it. But if it's any consolation, all Chinese citizens are subject to their stringent rules on entry/exit, carrying ID and reporting when changing addresses. In Thailand it feels more like discrimination but interestingly, foreigners are not barred from certain types of accommodation like in China or Vietnam (this applies mainly to cheaper, dingier places though but occasionally a more respectable, though still relatively cheap hotel won't accept foreigners in China since the staff don't want the hassle of having to run down to the police station to register them. Some of these same hotels will also generally accept a foreigner who is in possession of say a Chinese driver's licence, even though officially a Chinese ID or passport is officially required for check-in and registration purposes. Others just won't bother with registration at all).

However, Thailand is not normally associated with the kinds of checks on travel movements, ID checks etc. that one would expect from a police state like China and yet funnily enough it appears that Thailand is becoming stricter in some respects than China!

It is illegal to go out in public without state issued ID in USA. It has been the law for decades. At the very least, you must know your drivers license number so the police can run you for wants and warrants. The difference is they cannot stop you without probable cause and in California it is illegal for the police to ask about your immigration status.

BS.... I worked in the US for  over two years and never had a state ID or carried my passport oh and i never had a US drivers license either and was stopped by the cops quite a few times, maybe it was because of my cute "British accent " ...laugh.png  showed them my home license and sent on my my way

funny enough though, the US marine Corp tried to recruit me on few occassions as well... dont know what that was about rolleyes.gif

so stop taking rubblish

You did carry recognized ID with you at all times though. The US recognizes legally issued official government ID, that is not expired, from other countries. Your interpretation of what he meant by "State issued ID" was wrongly interpreted. Replace "Government" for "State", and notice that he used the word "in the USA", not "from the USA", and you'll better understand his meaning.

If your government issued the official picture ID, and it is not expired, then it is accepted in the US as legitimate ID. Most just use their passport, but picture drivers licenses are accepted, as long as they aren't expired, and yes, you technically must have legal ID with you at all times in the US.

You also technically should have gotten a US drivers license, in the state you were in if you were working. As a tourist you don't have to, but working there you technically should have.

The Marines are always looking for a few good men, and must have mistaken you for someone else....lolol. In the past during war time joining the US military was an avenue to gain citizenship. They might have mistaken you for an illegal, needing US citizenship.

I know this is starting to be off topic, but why can only illegals get US citizenship by way of the military? If that's the case then there's no incentive for anyone to remain legal. Just enter on any passport on a visa waiver or other visa, overstay, become illegal and then you can get recruited by the military to eventually gain US citizenship? Sounds like an absurdly flawed system to me.

so stop taking rubblish

I know this is starting to be off topic, but why can only illegals get US citizenship by way of the military? If that's the case then there's no incentive for anyone to remain legal. Just enter on any passport on a visa waiver or other visa, overstay, become illegal and then you can get recruited by the military to eventually gain US citizenship? Sounds like an absurdly flawed system to me.

Many if not most countries have the same thing, Chinese who serve in Thailands army (two specific regiments known as the Chaing Kai Shek brigades or similar) are given Thai ID cards afterwards - the French Foreign Legion gives French citizenship to anyone who serves.

camping now illlegal

overnight kayak or canoe trips now illegal

overnight trekking now illegal

live aboard dive trips now illegal

yatch trips now illegal

overnight trips to outer island now illegal

Thailands unique selling points used to be:

1. Freedom

2. Surf, sand and sun

3. Sex

Cross freedom of that list.  And due to overdevelopment the beaches are now a biohazard.

That leaves just sex.  But I imagine that many of the punters enjoying that USP are now without a viable visa option.

I wonder if the Junta will start clearing the beer bars?

Are the illegal things you mentioned your opinion of where things are heading or has there been an actual mention that they have now become illegal? If the latter, then this is a very worrying trend and Thailand should prepare to be wiped off the tourist map.

You do not need to carry identification in the U.S. nor is there any law requiring a U.S. citizen to carry ID unless you are driving or flying. Foriegn nationals are required by law to carry ID all the time. The problem is when you are stopped be the police for any violation you had better be able to prove who you are. In California you can be detained for a few hours to give law enforcement a chance to ID you.
  • Like 1

As at 10:00am today

"HUA HIN: -- [thaivisa.com] Hua Hin Immigration is from today enforcing the existing rule that foreigners are required to carry a valid photo ID at all times.

At a meeting with Hua Hin Immigration and municipality, Thaivisa.com was informed of the news about the immediate enforcement regarding the requirements for foreigners - both tourists and expats - to carry valid photo ID at all times. Thaivisa has learned that Immigration is likely to enforce this nationwide.

Valid ID's are:

- Thai Drivers Licence

- Passport original

- Copy of passport verified and stamped by Hua Hin Immigration

Penalty:

Failure to carry valid ID as above is 2,000 Baht."

Huahin Immigration have not heard of the "copy of passport stamped by Hua Hin Immigration" thing - saying "no, we never do that, you must carry your original passport, that is your ID".

My eyes are bleeding after just two pages of 'contributions'. There appears to be a palpable lack of reading glasses (or just an inability to read?) before the hounds of hell are let loose from the fingertips of the angst-ridden TVF community. Get a grip people.

Ahhh! Dont stop them - I get an hours fun just reading all the inane comments! Edited by Varangkul

Many if not most countries have the same thing, Chinese who serve in Thailands army (two specific regiments known as the Chaing Kai Shek brigades or similar) are given Thai ID cards afterwards - the French Foreign Legion gives French citizenship to anyone who serves.

Chiang mai, wouldn't that clause about the Chinese serving in Thailand's army have been in the past? I think you are referring to the Chiang Kai Shek warriors who escaped communist China back in the days of the Chinese civil war and communist takeover of the mainland. The Chiang Kai Shek warriors of course fled to present day Taiwan to form a government over there, with quite a few of them settling in northern Thailand's Mae Salong district of Chiang Rai province, not far from the Burmese border. I believe residents of that town, many of whom had served for Thailand some decades ago are mostly, if not entirely, Thai citizens. Their children became Thai citizens upon birth through descent and are nowadays more identified by their Chinese ethnicity like many other Thais but rarely speak Chinese or hold onto their Chinese identity.

Highly doubt Thailand would today allow a selective race based system whereby they would preference Chinese to become citizens based on serving in their army - otherwise they could have millions of new Chinese immigrants, which I don't think would serve the country any good, nor does it want that - and in any case it would look racist as to why only Chinese are eligible and not farangs or any other foreigners. However, if you are referring to the historical situation or in the case of say, those fleeing communism per se, I can see you have a valid point.

However, the point above was about illegals gaining citizenship by serving in the US army, not a specific nationality or anyone like in the examples you made above. Why wouldn't legal non-citizens have the same rights to do the same? Bizarre, if true.

• Like 2

You do not need to carry identification in the U.S. nor is there any law requiring a U.S. citizen to carry ID unless you are driving or flying. Foriegn nationals are required by law to carry ID all the time. The problem is when you are stopped be the police for any violation you had better be able to prove who you are. In California you can be detained for a few hours to give law enforcement a chance to ID you.

grantbkk you're getting pretty close to the real deal in the USA.

Fliers and drivers do need ID.

There is no law requiring a person to carry ID in public in the USA.

The police have powers under "probable cause" to hold an individual if they have probable cause to believe that the individual may be about to commit an offence, or has committed an offence, or are in the act of committing an offence. It's up to the police to decide what probable cause is. So, in fact even though there is no law requiring a person to hold valid ID, it is defacto.

Cop says to the magistrate: "He was behaving suspiciously, and he had no ID."

US police with the slightest suspicion can hold an individual until identity is confirmed. Ask any African american or Latino who has been "Stopped and Frisked" in the cirty of New York. 

As with any announcement from Immgration, I am always left with more questions than I have answers...

So are tourists here for two weeks now meant to take their passports to the beach, trekking through the jungle or in a soapy massage??

Yes. Its always been this way. Nothing has changed.

The legal requirement to self report each address change of longer than 24 hours, if enforced, is the change people are concerned about. 

Could the "theres no news here" people finally read and understand that ?? The actual law makes it clear that this is needed, enforcing it will be a nightmare for all parties. 

"enforcing it will be a nightmare for all parties. "

It would be lovely if they put up a nice online website where people could update their 24 hour stays without requiring a single photocopy of anything. It would create high quality IT jobs for many young bright Thai people with good IT skills.

so stop taking rubblish

so you showed them your  UK state issued ID and you were sent on your way after they ran you through NCIC... which came back no wants or warrants... what do you think they are doing when they talk on the radio and look at the computer in their car?

anyone who doubts what i am saying, the next time you are in the USA and get stopped by the cops, see what happens if you don't at least tell them who you are. your full name and address so they can run you.

"Although most American adults carry their driver's license at all times when they are outside their homes, there is no legal requirement that they must be carrying their license when not operating a vehicle. However, the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that states are permitted to require people to say their name when a police officer asks them (see Stop and identify statutes). Furthermore, in some states, like California, failure to produce an identification document upon citation for any traffic infraction (such as riding a bicycle on the wrong side of a street) is sufficient justification for full custodial arrest.[4"

you will be arrested if you do not ID yourself even if just walking down the street if a cop stops you and wants to know who you are.

it has been that way for decades.

• Like 1

I am sure wht i post here is stated before on this thread but want to vent my frustration as well. Hope some people read this thread and get some feedback.

it means i will not be going to Hua Hin anymore or will not be changing cities much. And hope no one does. Hope Hua Hin can survive with Thai tourists only and privileged Chinese tourists - dont know why, possibly Thai authorities fear pressure from Chinese authorities? And once some businesses crashes - which many tourism business have crashed already  - things will be relaxed again.

and driving licenses are not accepted by police at times and they ask for passport.

and reporting where i am for my business trips every 48 hours at immigration bureaus that even a single simple process takes 3 hours?

so means i will lose 3 hours for every 48 hours? 

And why double report? Owner of accommodation already reports your stay so why do you need to do it as well  - possibly, they want to drag you to immigration for some reason?

Sorry but it does not make sense! These are archaic laws.

On top of all these, i hate the tone of immigration officials on these type of press talk like all foreigners are illegal subjects or kids! I am feeding many Thai staff of mine over the years and did a lot for this country. Taxes cut from my salary for 7 years is a good amount even to build a small school somewhere! So at least i want some kind talk from authorities, not like do this and that or we jail you kind of harsh talk. It is like saying farang go home!

C'mon, why all this hassle? I can understand a crackdown on foreigners working here illegal or overstaying and i can even understand crackdown on visa runs as it was sure needed but this 48 hour thing is something very impractical for everyone. Say i am a tourist, if i dont like the hotel i booked and got a room at another hotel do it need to spend the rest of the day at immigration to notify my new place of stay? Al these sounds like creating new ways to get money for tourists/foreigners as a tourist will never know these rules.

moreover, this will prevent tourist to visit other provinces. Such as you booked a hotel in Bangkok but these type of rules will prevent you to visit Chiang Mai as lots of immigration hassle goes on then. It means businesses rely on circulation of tourists will suffer too.

hey, who comes to Thailand then? at least who goes to Hua Hin anymore?

Edited by ll2

As at 10:00am today

"HUA HIN: -- [thaivisa.com] Hua Hin Immigration is from today enforcing the existing rule that foreigners are required to carry a valid photo ID at all times.

At a meeting with Hua Hin Immigration and municipality, Thaivisa.com was informed of the news about the immediate enforcement regarding the requirements for foreigners - both tourists and expats - to carry valid photo ID at all times. Thaivisa has learned that Immigration is likely to enforce this nationwide.

Valid ID's are:

- Thai Drivers Licence

- Passport original

- Copy of passport verified and stamped by Hua Hin Immigration

Penalty:

Failure to carry valid ID as above is 2,000 Baht."

Huahin Immigration have not heard of the "copy of passport stamped by Hua Hin Immigration" thing - saying "no, we never do that, you must carry your original passport, that is your ID".

I'm shocked!  Shocked I tell you, shocked!   Lol.

A silly question for the ivory tower dwellers.  Now there are some - as hard as that may be to believe - who might be planning a vacation in Thailand (itself probably a dwindling number nowadays, to be sure, but still...) and who don't actually follow TVF...   How exactly is the casual tourist supposed to even know about these hissy little enforcement spasms?  I missed it on the 11 o'clock news...