Immigration: Foreigners must now carry valid ID at all times, report within 24 hours

... in 23 pages of this thread has anyone mentioned why all government departments are currently jumping thru hopes to enforce existing laws. Every department currently has a presence from the military in their offices, and the chief military man heading up the NCPR (or whatever its Acronym is) has stated on national television not so much that he doesnt like farang, but he virtually implies this, explaining to the nation what a problem we are. <snip>

All departments, and everyone, is frightened by the military. They are scrambling and jumping through hoops to enforce the rules and laws many of which are IMO antiquated and impractical and or unnecessary. 

I just love this. Can you imagine what would happen if a Thai/Venezuelan/Greenlander/whatever  pitched up in your country and told you that your laws were "antiquated and unnecessary" Bwana?  cheesy.gif

I'd thank him for the input and look at the laws.....advice  doesn't  have borders.

Laws do though...

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

... in 23 pages of this thread has anyone mentioned why all government departments are currently jumping thru hopes to enforce existing laws. Every department currently has a presence from the military in their offices, and the chief military man heading up the NCPR (or whatever its Acronym is) has stated on national television not so much that he doesnt like farang, but he virtually implies this, explaining to the nation what a problem we are. <snip>

All departments, and everyone, is frightened by the military. They are scrambling and jumping through hoops to enforce the rules and laws many of which are IMO antiquated and impractical and or unnecessary. 

I just love this. Can you imagine what would happen if a Thai/Venezuelan/Greenlander/whatever  pitched up in your country and told you that your laws were "antiquated and unnecessary" Bwana?  cheesy.gif

Yes, I can imagine that.  When there are enough voices to point this out, then eventually civilized countries respond by including them in their decisions, instead of vilifying.  And in so doing, those countries usually prosper for it.  And, there are always voices like yours, who can't comprehend the reality.

The reality is that sovereign states are entitled to pass laws to suit themselves and are not required to take into account the requirements of people who are not citizens.

The fact that those laws don't fit in with your particular circumstances is not their concern Bwana.

Some laws, some regulations, and some procedures. (I didn't say all laws.)

It's only my opinion. As an Alien my opinion doesn't add up to one satang.

However, laws that have been on the books for ages and ages and never been enforced are by definition antiquated and due to their age could also be unnecessary.

What's important is who is saying it. They are. If you have some friends at the police department and immigration, amphur etc. and they trust you they will tell you. They will also tell you they are scared of the army.

"Can you imagine what would happen if a Thai/Venezuelan/Greenlander/whatever  pitched up in your country and told you that your laws were "antiquated and unnecessary" "

They do and have told me that. Sometimes IMO they are quite right about it and the rules and procedures sometimes get changed.

A good Thai example is the collection of the international departure tax. Cash collection was antiquated. It finally got changed after many complaints and is now collected by the ticketing airline.

Does this include everywhere else? 

Meaning I only have to carry my Thai Drivers Licencse - no need to keep my passport or a copy with me as well?

Fancy you asking a question like that, it says valid I.d's are, and it gives you a choice for 1 of them.

Some laws, some regulations, and some procedures. (I didn't say all laws.)

It's only my opinion. As an Alien my opinion doesn't add up to one satang.

However, laws that have been on the books for ages and ages and never been enforced are by definition antiquated and due to their age could also be unnecessary.

What's important is who is saying it. They are. If you have some friends at the police department and immigration, amphur etc. and they trust you they will tell you. They will also tell you they are scared of the army.

"Can you imagine what would happen if a Thai/Venezuelan/Greenlander/whatever  pitched up in your country and told you that your laws were "antiquated and unnecessary" "

They do and have told me that. Sometimes IMO they are quite right about it and the rules and procedures sometimes get changed.

A good Thai example is the collection of the international departure tax. Cash collection was antiquated. It finally got changed after many complaints and is now collected by the ticketing airline.

The collection of the departure tax is not the same as the continued tolerance of what amount to large numbers of illegal immigrants because that's what people with dodgy visas are. 

If the situation were reversed and there were as many Thais living on dodgy tourist visas and back to back visa runs in the UK or the USA there'd be uproar but as long as it's we Bwana expecting the Thais to put up with it that's ok.

• Like 2

What if I travel to another province and am staying with Thai family or foreign friends? Then we have to go to report my visit?

if you stay more than 24 hours, yes

Correct me if I've got this wrong but I think it's the responsibility of the homeowner to report your presence, not yours?

Great. They're starting to enforce the laws written before the dawn of ages. And those rules are actually in the act, so they're not going anywhere soon. Enjoy filling a form every day, oh happiness. 

You might consider that Thais, the occupants of the country which you have chosen to call 'home', have to carry their cards all the time.

They do not have to carry them at all times and are not fined if they don't happen to have it on them. In fact I went with one woman recently to the Amphure to renew a lost one and the official actually asked her why she wanted it replaced and would not do it, she had to go all the home to Roi Et. If they wanted us to wear stars on our clothes some on here would be supporting that as well.

Edited by jacky54

I try not contribute to Thai Visa too much too many grumpy old men on here. but knowhere in 23 pages of this thread has anyone mentioned why all government departments are currently jumping thru hopes to enforce existing laws. Every department currently has a presence from the military in their offices, and the chief military man heading up the NCPR (or whatever its Acronym is) has stated on national television not so much that he doesnt like farang, but he virtually implies this, explaining to the nation what a problem we are. I was sitting with my wife whilst he went on about the problems we bring for the best part of an hour, and the look on my wifes face kind of said it all...she knew our lives where about to get more complicated. The immigration officials themselves know that most of these rules are complete overkill and virtually unenforceable, but even so all the time this current regime persists they have to do what the military tells them..even if as professional immigration officers they know its ridiculous.  The immigration office in Hua Hin pretty much know who all the long term stayers are and who are responsible aliens and who are not! I expect most of them feel the same way we do about the latest round of farang bashing, and just want to let off a big sigh, becuase if things carry on going the way they are they too will be out of a job becuase there wont be any aliens for them to process!

You are exactly correct.  And, I always note that the most regular voices here, don't seem to have any real knowledge of Thai politics or history.  They really seem to believe this country exists only as a retirement home for them.

In some respects their view is correct and yours is about face!

There's only a limited number of legitimate reasons to be in Thailand: full time and permanently as a retiree or business owner, full time but temporarily as an employee/student or temporarily as a visitor/tourist. The current problem is that the last group wants the same rights as the first two groups and are upset because they've now been prevented from having those rights, I mean, you don't hear of any expat retirees/business owners complaining that they have to report their address every time they change location nor that that they have to carry ID, they do those things anyway because they know those are the rules and they abide by them.

So yes, the retirees here do believe that Thailand exist in part as their retirement home, the problem is with everyone else wanting the same rights and privileges and without wanting to abide by the rules. Envy is an ugly trait.

You missed out marriage, and I do think Thailand has a big issue on that particular scenario because it seems to overlook basic human rights in its immigration calculations. But i do agree with what your saying, theres too many farangs in Thailand expecting rights and forgetting they came here as a tourist and then stayed using "loopholes", and they get upset when the country starts addressing those loopholes. I think this is why Thai Visa is such a messed up forum, too many farangs get confused about the reality of their own status in this country (thru no fault of their own quite often... confusing rules makes for conufsed stayers!) . I'm not saying the rules are fair, practical, enforceable, or anything else, but after all its isnt our country and human rights are not that high up on any asian countries agenda, so if you've set up a life based on a false sense of status, and now its under threat, I sympathise with anyone in that situation...everyone living in Thailand as a foreigner should have an exit strategy. I had one until it was stolen from me :)...so just goes to show bad things dont only happen in Thailand.

• Like 2

Great. They're starting to enforce the laws written before the dawn of ages. And those rules are actually in the act, so they're not going anywhere soon. Enjoy filling a form every day, oh happiness. 

You might consider that Thais, the occupants of the country which you have chosen to call 'home', have to carry their cards all the time.

They do not have to carry them at all times and are not fined if they don't happen to have it on them. In fact I went with one woman recently to the Amphure to renew a lost one and the official actually asked her why she wanted in renewed and would not do it, she had to go all the home to Roi Et. If they wanted us to wear stars on our clothes some on here would be supporting that as well.

I believe they can only be renewed/replaced in the province where they are registered, my wife had to return to Sukhothai to renew hers..

So are tourists here for two weeks now meant to take their passports to the beach, trekking through the jungle or in a soapy massage??

Or a copy certified by immigration. And don't forget to find a jungle police while trekking since you're changing your residence constantly. 

The immigration offices are going to get real cramped if all of this actually starts. The stock price for Double-A might skyrocket, though.

I think it satiated moving to another province. This is all getting out of hand.

Oh, I don't know.  A bunch of illegals "pitched up" in front of the White House just today, insisting that OUR laws are pretty much what you say, and that they should receive welfare benefits, etc., just like everybody else.  No police; no soldiers; no immigration...  just some news media (and not many of THEM!)   Nobody cared.   In front of the White House!    

how do u know theyre illegals?

• Like 1

I try not contribute to Thai Visa too much too many grumpy old men on here. but knowhere in 23 pages of this thread has anyone mentioned why all government departments are currently jumping thru hopes to enforce existing laws. Every department currently has a presence from the military in their offices, and the chief military man heading up the NCPR (or whatever its Acronym is) has stated on national television not so much that he doesnt like farang, but he virtually implies this, explaining to the nation what a problem we are. I was sitting with my wife whilst he went on about the problems we bring for the best part of an hour, and the look on my wifes face kind of said it all...she knew our lives where about to get more complicated. The immigration officials themselves know that most of these rules are complete overkill and virtually unenforceable, but even so all the time this current regime persists they have to do what the military tells them..even if as professional immigration officers they know its ridiculous.  The immigration office in Hua Hin pretty much know who all the long term stayers are and who are responsible aliens and who are not! I expect most of them feel the same way we do about the latest round of farang bashing, and just want to let off a big sigh, becuase if things carry on going the way they are they too will be out of a job becuase there wont be any aliens for them to process!

I did not know this, are you saying that He /they gave us shit in puplic television and say we are and bring  problem in this country?I have not seen this but of course I dont look Thai tv anyway.Please confirm this for me.

I did not know this, are you saying that He /they gave us shit in puplic television and say we are and bring  problem in this country?I have not seen this but of course I dont look Thai tv anyway.Please confirm this for me.

Prayuth has written on his concern for the problems caused by foreigners in Thailand.

Edited by wilcopops

Prayuth has written on his concern for the problems caused by foreigners in Thailand.

Thx wilcopops

Oh, I don't know.  A bunch of illegals "pitched up" in front of the White House just today, insisting that OUR laws are pretty much what you say, and that they should receive welfare benefits, etc., just like everybody else.  No police; no soldiers; no immigration...  just some news media (and not many of THEM!)   Nobody cared.   In front of the White House!    

Because they were wearing t-shirts & carrying signs.   Lol.   And it was the point of their demonstration!   (Try Google - or watch the TV news - not a very difficult thing to research yourself actually....)   The ICE comment was that they don't bother with illegals unless they're committing "serious" crimes...  (and so weren't going to be arresting any of the demonstrators, and would let them go even if the DC police were to pick them up).

Edited by hawker9000
  • Like 1

Because they were wearing t-shirts & carrying signs.   Lol.   And it was the point of their demonstration!   (Try Google - or watch the TV news - not a very difficult thing to research yourself actually....)   The ICE comment was that they don't bother with illegals unless they're committing "serious" crimes...  (and so weren't going to be arresting any of the demonstrators, and would let them go even if the DC police were to pick them up).

could have been any do-gooders campaigning. and even if they were, just because america is foolish should every other country be as dumb?

If anyone wants to visit the Thai Immigration Office in Krabi (Krabi Town) and you have never visited it before, it is not where you will think it is from doing a map search.  Because it is has moved to a new location (maybe even several years ago). But currently a google map search will show the old location if it shows anything.  In fact nothing much of importance is listed in the google map index for Krabi Town (at least in the version I am able to access).  

Soon I will go to get the GPS coordinates for this Krabi Imm. office and post it.  I wish others would do the same for their area.  I prefer GPS coordinates over street addresses because street signage can be very spotty and addresses outdated. 

It would be nice to even have a PINNED post of Immigration Offices nationwide... GPS coordinates that the Admins could update from TVF member input.  Such GPS information should be made by physically standing at the location because a map search of several years vintage data may be incorrect. It would be very helpful to have newly updated location info.  I use my camera GPS location option when taking a photo.   The GPS coordinates are then embedded in the metadata of the photo.  I have a reader for that info and can easily extract it - plus I have a photo of the building to post also.  

And - please - for you guys who think that this is a ridiculous suggestion - just because you know where your local office is - it doesn't mean everyone does. Especially if this trial balloon in Hua Hin becomes a nationwide mandatory requirement.  Street addresses can be quite worthless - old out of date - office moved - on line listings not updated, bad street signage, etc.

Of course local Expats (established in the area) who have to report every 90 days soon learn - often from a fellow Expat where the Imm. office is.  But under new enforcement levels (if they expand and become mandatory all over Thailand) many more people may have to go there too.  So - why not start early and build a database?  

• Like 2

This tread is a little bit funny. All screaming about a simple little thing, I want to live Thailand, this is to much like carry a ID... Come on TV members

Spoken like someone who's never had their passport lifted...  If that should happen to you in Thailand, I'm sure you'll think it's VERY funny.

• Like 1

Yes, I can imagine that.  When there are enough voices to point this out, then eventually civilized countries respond by including them in their decisions, instead of vilifying.  And in so doing, those countries usually prosper for it.  And, there are always voices like yours, who can't comprehend the reality.

The reality is that sovereign states are entitled to pass laws to suit themselves and are not required to take into account the requirements of people who are not citizens.

The fact that those laws don't fit in with your particular circumstances is not their concern Bwana.

Well put.  The most unsurprising thing about this thread is observing how all that First World sense of entitlement collides head on with hard reality.  Thailand doesn't care about what they think.  And, btw, neither do I.

• Like 1

If the homeowner must report the farangs overnight presence to Immigration/Police, is there a penalty (such as jail time) for not doing so and if yes, I wonder if my mother in law knows she has to do this, every time I go and stay? laugh.png

In the US, illegals are even invited to testify before congress, where they give their sob stories and go on the merry way without any enforcement action whatsoever.  Thailand is absolutely right to protect their country and the interests of its citizens.