Immigration: Foreigners must now carry valid ID at all times, report within 24 hours

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

is it just me or do others detect a "trend" here?

Same time you apply for visa (i guess you have to do) you bring one extra copy of your passport and get that stamped as well then you just put that in your pocket and its ok same same like in the rest of the World!!! welcome back to real World!!!

Great. They're starting to enforce the laws written before the dawn of ages. And those rules are actually in the act, so they're not going anywhere soon. Enjoy filling a form every day, oh happiness. 

I don't mind all this too much but I live in Phuket in a rented house with my Thai wife and daughter but we also have a US flagged sailboat and sail up and down from Burma to Malaysia each time I am home for 3 three months on my time off.  I hope I will not have to stop at all the islands and report to immigration each time!

I am now working aboard a US merchant ship in the Atlantic right now. I will arrive in Thailand in the middle of October when I get off this ship.  I plan a two week trip to Bali with my wife and daughter for the last two weeks of October. I am hopping to get a 3 month stamp in my passport when I get back to Thailand from Bali so that I can avoid another trip to Savannakhet for a new non O marriage visa this year. My multi entry Non O marriage visa expires on November 10, this year.  I go back to work in the states at the end of January.  I hope to be able to get a new Non immigrant O visa in the states in April next year when I sign off the ship.

Also, we plan to drive to Loei to my wife's farm for a few weeks around New Years. Do we have have to go immigration in all those small towns on the way there. We planned to go Ubon Rachathani to visit my wife's family and also to see a friend in Surin. Will we have to report to immigration there as well? I think that this will not be good for tourism if Thailand really wants people to come and enjoy the country. 

I just hope that common sense will prevail!wai.gif

Starting to feel a lot like what I have read about Nazi Germany, the creeping regulations and creeping enforcement.  Will I wake up one night to the sound of tinkling glass:  Krystallnacht Farang?

I often take off on my motorcycle for 10-14 days touring around Thailand.  I am often in a province more than 24 hours, but stay at a different place every night.  I can just imagine that if I were to comply with this law, I would have to set aside an hour or two every afternoon to search out the local office for reporting.  That will cut into my beer drinking time.  And THAT is going to hurt the economy. 

And when I go to BKK for medical/dental, I am often at a guest house for 3-4 days.  I wouldn't know where to report in BKK, and even if somebody gave me that information, I couldn't find it.  On top of everything else, it would be expensive to get there as I would have to go by taxi. It says, "Local Police Station."  Is one of those corner kiosks that is there for traffic management good enough?

Sheesh!  I'm glad I just stay home most of the time.

Starting to feel a lot like what I have read about Nazi Germany, the creeping regulations and creeping enforcement.  Will I wake up one night to the sound of tinkling glass:  Krystallnacht Farang?

cheesy.gif

Let us know when they take you into a cellar and pull your fingernails out  w00t.gif

Edited by sustento
  • Like 1

Does this include everywhere else? 

Meaning I only have to carry my Thai Drivers Licencse - no need to keep my passport or a copy with me as well?

One  of the listed ID's  -  its been this way for over Thirty years, just never enforced, and it is Country Wide

the popsted jjust printed a news clip from  Hua Hin  

Valid ID's are:

- Thai Drivers Licence

- Passport original

- Copy of passport verified and stamped by Hua Hin Immigration

I always carry a Certified Copy of my Passport, and a valid drivers license, never fails.

thumbsup.gif

Good for you!  You are very special!

• Like 1

Let us think a moment........  something else other than making a new hassle is involved here. 

Could be that Thailand finally must be able to trace foreigners who come here to break the laws and start trouble.  Bangkok is well known as a place for international secret deals, buys, and spying because of the ease of entry and travel around.

Something is going on.  Something much more grim than checking the pockets of intoxicated Brits lolling around 7-11.  Thailand could be under intense international pressure to create a system to find people.

My guesses are inadequate but it is easy to see that the new enforcement is not just to get more bribes, probably get less because that system must be under scrutiny, too. 

With all the surveillance and checking of Internet messages, immigration matters, TV show content, and lots else, where are all the Thai govt employees who can handle this massive level of new jobs and speak and read English, too?   The increased computer data input load alone must be a real strain?

Housemaster , can also be the chief concierge

Not in my understanding of the context in which House Master is used in the Immigration Act. For a hotel, it is the hotel manager, who, if he choses, may delegate the responsibility of making the notification of the arrival of aliens to another employee. For a residence (house, apartment, etc.), I see the House Master in various capacities as follows:

The owner when he himself lives in the residence, or when he leaves it vacant.
The beneficiary of a usufruct or lease of the residence, when he himself lives in it or leaves it vacant.
The tenant who rents the residence from the owner, beneficiary of a usufruct or leaseholder.
A person who has gained chief possession of the residence through any other means.

Never heard such catterwalling. Idont carry my passport but a copy is always with me with current visa, I dont bother with certification. I also carry my wallet everywhere I go, as do most people, and in it is my photo ID acceptable Australian drivers license. Here ends the requirement and it has ever been to the best of my knowledge.
  • Like 1

So does this mean if I'm staying in my Thai partners rented accommodation, when I get there I have to go to immigration in Phuket and my Partner has to tell them I am staying with her? I have not done that before after being together 4 years, even though I'm staying 3 weeks.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 7.5A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In this situation, there is the owner, the leaseholder, and you as a guest of the leaseholder. Who is the possessor of the apartment? It is the leaseholder, ie your partner, and it is she who must make the notification under section 38 of the Immigration Act.

Wot's a PITA ?

[acronym='pain in the arse']PITA[/acronym] is an acronym, of which the letter A represents a word which this forum's profanity filter would change to <deleted>.

Maestro, you are correct, we do not fill out form TM 30. But, Section 37(4): "the alien must notify change of stay of longer than 24 hours when traveling to another province". That is the looming problem. Nit picking, I would guess my wife would have to refill TM 30 every time I left for more than 24 hours and returned. For many with wives and long time girl friends that "own" our houses that could be a potential problem much more detrimental to your health than anything Immigration has in mind....lol. I hate uncertainty, and that is what we have now, nothing to do about it but bitch and pop a top. With any luck I'll be out of the province in a couple of days and no, I'm not filling out TM 28 and the hotel I stay at will not be filling out TM 30, the room is not registered in my name and never is. I'm beginning to feel like I've been transported back to the US of A.

I know exactly how you feel. I am in the US right now working on a ship so that I can spend my vacation at home with my Thai wife and daughter in Phuket. I have been living in Thailand for 8 years like this working 3 months on and 3 months off and I have heard these stories come and go. I left Thailand to go back to work in the US in May and I will return to a new government in October. I just can't believe that they will enforce these kind of draconian laws. If they do, we will just have to move onto our sailboat in Phuket and find a more friendly country that does not make our life miserable with all this paperwork and waiting in line at immigration. We want to go to Loei for New Years to visit my wife's family and travel around Thailand in our truck but I am wondering now if it is time to sell everything and move on. Have things changes that much since I left in May?

In this situation your Thai partner would need to contact the house holder to report on
your behalf as your partner is only the lease holder and not the house holder.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It is my understanding that the leaseholder is the chief possessor of the residence and thus the House Master as defined in section 4 of the Immigration Act.

House Master ” means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house , whether in the capacity of
owner , tenant , or in any other capacity whatsoever , in accordance with the law on people act.

This is not really a big deal.

Most every country has a regulation requiring persons to carry valid ID. I always carry ID and my insurance cards, not because of fear of being fined, but in case of accident. I sure wouldn't want to be a "John Doe." Accidents happen often in Thailand, especially to tourists.

The title of the article (OP) is misleading.

The onus is still on the Hose Master to do the reporting and not on the Alien. That's the way it has always been. Many hotels in Pattaya have been doing this online for several years without tourists ever knowing it.

From my perspective it is reassuring to know that I won't be a missing John Doe in Thailand if these rules are used practically.

Is the glass half full, or is it half empty? 

I try not contribute to Thai Visa too much too many grumpy old men on here. but knowhere in 23 pages of this thread has anyone mentioned why all government departments are currently jumping thru hopes to enforce existing laws. Every department currently has a presence from the military in their offices, and the chief military man heading up the NCPR (or whatever its Acronym is) has stated on national television not so much that he doesnt like farang, but he virtually implies this, explaining to the nation what a problem we are. I was sitting with my wife whilst he went on about the problems we bring for the best part of an hour, and the look on my wifes face kind of said it all...she knew our lives where about to get more complicated. The immigration officials themselves know that most of these rules are complete overkill and virtually unenforceable, but even so all the time this current regime persists they have to do what the military tells them..even if as professional immigration officers they know its ridiculous.  The immigration office in Hua Hin pretty much know who all the long term stayers are and who are responsible aliens and who are not! I expect most of them feel the same way we do about the latest round of farang bashing, and just want to let off a big sigh, becuase if things carry on going the way they are they too will be out of a job becuase there wont be any aliens for them to process!

You are exactly correct.  And, I always note that the most regular voices here, don't seem to have any real knowledge of Thai politics or history.  They really seem to believe this country exists only as a retirement home for them.

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 1

I'd say there's a big difference between the Don't they realize what they are doing is bad for Thailand crowd' such as yourself and those who, while not defending the  powers that be's action are pretty much resigned to go-with-flow because we have  about as much input in how the rules are made or enforced as we do about changing the weather.

• Like 2

... in 23 pages of this thread has anyone mentioned why all government departments are currently jumping thru hopes to enforce existing laws. Every department currently has a presence from the military in their offices, and the chief military man heading up the NCPR (or whatever its Acronym is) has stated on national television not so much that he doesnt like farang, but he virtually implies this, explaining to the nation what a problem we are. <snip>

All departments, and everyone, is frightened by the military. They are scrambling and jumping through hoops to enforce the rules and laws many of which are IMO antiquated and impractical and or unnecessary. They are really scared of this guy.

A Thai neighbor of mine a few sois away had a visit from the army the other day. Nine soldiers came to his house to examine a claim someone made that he had "unusual" wealth.

Edited by 96tehtarp

So does this mean if I'm staying in my Thai partners rented accommodation, when I get there I have to go to immigration in Phuket and my Partner has to tell them I am staying with her? I have not done that before after being together 4 years, even though I'm staying 3 weeks.

In this situation, there is the owner, the leaseholder, and you as a guest of the leaseholder. Who is the possessor of the apartment? It is the leaseholder, ie your partner, and it is she who must make the notification under section 38 of the Immigration Act.

It's her friends condo she stays in, I'm just a staying there because she is.. if you get me.

I do not worry about the carrying valid ID on you thing. It is a law in most countries in the world. Even in Europe.

I do not understand the 48 hour law though. How on earth will they enforce that one :p

• Like 1

Why must my passport copy be verified by Hua Hin when I live in Pattaya?

And why are some members posting such stupid posts ?
Maybe reading the OP before posting could be a good idea in the future... rolleyes.gif
  • Like 1

... in 23 pages of this thread has anyone mentioned why all government departments are currently jumping thru hopes to enforce existing laws. Every department currently has a presence from the military in their offices, and the chief military man heading up the NCPR (or whatever its Acronym is) has stated on national television not so much that he doesnt like farang, but he virtually implies this, explaining to the nation what a problem we are. <snip>

All departments, and everyone, is frightened by the military. They are scrambling and jumping through hoops to enforce the rules and laws many of which are IMO antiquated and impractical and or unnecessary. 

I just love this. Can you imagine what would happen if a Thai/Venezuelan/Greenlander/whatever  pitched up in your country and told you that your laws were "antiquated and unnecessary" Bwana?  cheesy.gif

I'd thank him for the input and look at the laws.....advice  doesn't  have borders.

All departments, and everyone, is frightened by the military. They are scrambling and jumping through hoops to enforce the rules and laws many of which are IMO antiquated and impractical and or unnecessary. 

I just love this. Can you imagine what would happen if a Thai/Venezuelan/Greenlander/whatever  pitched up in your country and told you that your laws were "antiquated and unnecessary" Bwana?  cheesy.gif

Yes, I can imagine that.  When there are enough voices to point this out, then eventually civilized countries respond by including them in their decisions, instead of vilifying.  And in so doing, those countries usually prosper for it.  And, there are always voices like yours, who can't comprehend the reality.

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 2

Never heard such catterwalling. Idont carry my passport but a copy is always with me with current visa, I dont bother with certification. I also carry my wallet everywhere I go, as do most people, and in it is my photo ID acceptable Australian drivers license. Here ends the requirement and it has ever been to the best of my knowledge.

so in future you will need to carry some cash for the fine.....not to mention failure to fill in the appropriate "travel' document.