Immigration: Foreigners must now carry valid ID at all times, report within 24 hours

This tread is a little bit funny. All screaming about a simple little thing, I want to live Thailand, this is to much like carry a ID... Come on TV members

Spoken like someone who's never had their passport lifted...  If that should happen to you in Thailand, I'm sure you'll think it's VERY funny.
I must admit....No I have not.
But it's still funny. Your are allowed to carry a copy of you passport. What the problem... Sort it out .. Get a copy.
I'm a longtime stayer here. Did a lot research before saddled down here. Have all the right papers, getting the right visa, followed the law about DL.

Can't see the problem ....you are a guest.. Follow there's law and you will have no problem at all :)

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well put.  The most unsurprising thing about this thread is observing how all that First World sense of entitlement collides head on with hard reality.  Thailand doesn't care about what they think.  And, btw, neither do I.

Hope you will not be bothered by the fact that in turn, nobody else cares about what you think wink.png

Silly rule , If the fine is only 2000 baht I think I'll just take my chances , if I travel to Chiang Mai for 3 days and do not report it I don't think they will ever notice.  And if they do I will just donate some cash to an underpaid police officer. 

Edited by balo

Silly rule , If the fine is only 2000 baht I think I'll just take my chances , if I travel to Chiang Mai for 3 days and do not report it I don't think they will ever notice.  And if they do I will just donate some cash to an underpaid police officer. 

You just use a hotel, then the problem is solved.. You can travel everywhere in Thailand without reporting, just use a hotel, it's not your problem :) Edited by carstenp
  • Like 1

If  I went and told my  local policeman everytime I cam back to our  house in Pranburi from Bkk which is about 2-3 times a  month he'd  laugh his head off.

he visits  us almost daily  anyway and we eat almost daily at his Wifes restaurant.......he d just say I know your'e  here!!

Why must my passport copy be verified by Hua Hin when I live in Pattaya?

And why are some members posting such stupid posts ?
Maybe reading the OP before posting could be a good idea in the future... rolleyes.gif

Perhaps YOU should read the OP before spouting off!

Valid ID's are:

- Thai Drivers Licence

- Passport original

- Copy of passport verified and stamped by Hua Hin Immigration

Edited by jacko45k

Its  stupid  but I dotn think its aimed at Frangs, they have as  many stupid  rules for Thais, buy a new car on a red  plate and  then you have to write down in a  book every time  you go out and where youve  been.......and  this is for Thais..........stuck in a  time warp is Thai bureaucracy

Some laws, some regulations, and some procedures. (I didn't say all laws.)

It's only my opinion. As an Alien my opinion doesn't add up to one satang.

However, laws that have been on the books for ages and ages and never been enforced are by definition antiquated and due to their age could also be unnecessary.

What's important is who is saying it. They are. If you have some friends at the police department and immigration, amphur etc. and they trust you they will tell you. They will also tell you they are scared of the army.

"Can you imagine what would happen if a Thai/Venezuelan/Greenlander/whatever  pitched up in your country and told you that your laws were "antiquated and unnecessary" "

They do and have told me that. Sometimes IMO they are quite right about it and the rules and procedures sometimes get changed.

A good Thai example is the collection of the international departure tax. Cash collection was antiquated. It finally got changed after many complaints and is now collected by the ticketing airline.

The collection of the departure tax is not the same as the continued tolerance of what amount to large numbers of illegal immigrants because that's what people with dodgy visas are. 

If the situation were reversed and there were as many Thais living on dodgy tourist visas and back to back visa runs in the UK or the USA there'd be uproar but as long as it's we Bwana expecting the Thais to put up with it that's ok.

The collection of the departure tax is the same because it was an antiquated, unpractical, and inefficient system. Foreigners and foreign owned business complained and eventually it was fixed.

The OP was not about dodgy visas, visa-runners, or back to back exempt in-outers. It was about the enforcement of yet another previously unenforced law requiring House Masters to register Aliens withing 24 hours.

A long time ago I tried to comply with this regulation and took the proper form to my local fuzz at the cop-shop and they had never seen one before and really... they didn't know what to do with it. It is by definition antiquated and in practice unenforceable. Maybe they will fix it. I have no problem with that. If they do I see lots of good IT jobs for clever young Thai people making the system work.

The old system of visa-running and multiple in/outs and passports full of tourist visas as a means to stay in Thailand long term was ridiculously unnecessary, unpractical, and inefficient. The new system is much better. It will weed out some bad eggs and also it has left quite a few people here on this forum in a bit of a lurch. That's why great forum members like ubonjoe and others have been helping by replying with very helpful posts to questions from other forum members asking for help with the new rules.

The vast majority of illegal Aliens were Cambodians, Laotians, and Burmese.

I recall many many times being told by immigration officials when inquiring about extension possibilities and legal ways to avoid overstay to simply overstay and pay the fine. When I expressed my preference to comply with the laws I was told "This is Thailand, not same your country, just overstay the 7+ days and pay the fine, No Problem". That was the old system. It was the Thai way of doing things. Now they have changed it. No problem.

The giant 700 pound gorilla in the room is the house registration system for Thai nationals. Far too many Thai people are not living where they are registered in their Tabian Bahn's. This makes it almost impossible for Thai authorities to track down dead-beat dads who don't pay their child support. The result can be seen in all the beer bars in Pattaya, Samui, and Phuket where single mothers do what they do.

"If the situation were reversed and there were as many Thais living on dodgy tourist visas and back to back visa runs in the UK or the USA there'd be uproar but as long as it's we Bwana expecting the Thais to put up with it that's ok."

Illegal immigration is an enormous problem in the UK, the rest of the EU, and America. The illegals don't bother with visas at all. 

I don't believe anyone here, including myself, is expecting Thai people to put up with "it". That's the way it was. They made that system for themselves. Now they have tried to fix it.

​This new enforcement of the old 24 hour registration law is going to be very difficult for them to implement. I wonder if they can do it?

​Just imagine if the western countries you mention actually tried to enforce every law on their books? Some of those laws are very bizarre.

Well put.  The most unsurprising thing about this thread is observing how all that First World sense of entitlement collides head on with hard reality.  Thailand doesn't care about what they think.  And, btw, neither do I.

Hope you will not be bothered by the fact that in turn, nobody else cares about what you think wink.png

And I can live with that, easily.  For the First World entitlement brigade, such as . . ., not so much.

Why must my passport copy be verified by Hua Hin when I live in Pattaya?

And why are some members posting such stupid posts ?
Maybe reading the OP before posting could be a good idea in the future... rolleyes.gif

Valid ID's are:

- Thai Drivers Licence
- Passport original
- Copy of passport verified and stamped by Hua Hin Immigration

There we go again . I only read what I want to read, not what is says. This news is only about hua hin, if you live somewhere else, I think maybe you should go to you local office to get the stamp on the copy... Come on TV members
  • Like 1

So if I go stay in my condo in another province for 2 nights. If they catch me, how do they know I have been in that province for more than 24 hours?

Clearly they don't know, and even if they did why would they want to know?

At the moment the political instability is worrying, business is not easy here and investment is halting now. My International customers have been questioning for some months now if the country is safe and if there is any risk for delivery of their product ad for sure I have lost business (I work for a Thai manufacturer).

So, you can't treat people like criminals just because you have a problem with the minority. Thailand is known for being relaxed, sometimes too relaxed but this has not been thought through. It looks more like a message that we are not welcome,, hence I will seriously consider moving somewhere else.

Sad, but I think a lot of people are beginning to feel this way.

• Like 1

I try not contribute to Thai Visa too much too many grumpy old men on here. but knowhere in 23 pages of this thread has anyone mentioned why all government departments are currently jumping thru hopes to enforce existing laws. Every department currently has a presence from the military in their offices, and the chief military man heading up the NCPR (or whatever its Acronym is) has stated on national television not so much that he doesnt like farang, but he virtually implies this, explaining to the nation what a problem we are. I was sitting with my wife whilst he went on about the problems we bring for the best part of an hour, and the look on my wifes face kind of said it all...she knew our lives where about to get more complicated. The immigration officials themselves know that most of these rules are complete overkill and virtually unenforceable, but even so all the time this current regime persists they have to do what the military tells them..even if as professional immigration officers they know its ridiculous.  The immigration office in Hua Hin pretty much know who all the long term stayers are and who are responsible aliens and who are not! I expect most of them feel the same way we do about the latest round of farang bashing, and just want to let off a big sigh, becuase if things carry on going the way they are they too will be out of a job becuase there wont be any aliens for them to process!

You are exactly correct.  And, I always note that the most regular voices here, don't seem to have any real knowledge of Thai politics or history.  They really seem to believe this country exists only as a retirement home for them.

In some respects their view is correct and yours is about face!

There's only a limited number of legitimate reasons to be in Thailand: full time and permanently as a retiree or business owner, full time but temporarily as an employee/student or temporarily as a visitor/tourist. The current problem is that the last group wants the same rights as the first two groups and are upset because they've now been prevented from having those rights, I mean, you don't hear of any expat retirees/business owners complaining that they have to report their address every time they change location nor that that they have to carry ID, they do those things anyway because they know those are the rules and they abide by them.

So yes, the retirees here do believe that Thailand exist in part as their retirement home, the problem is with everyone else wanting the same rights and privileges and without wanting to abide by the rules. Envy is an ugly trait.

You missed out marriage, and I do think Thailand has a big issue on that particular scenario because it seems to overlook basic human rights in its immigration calculations. But i do agree with what your saying, theres too many farangs in Thailand expecting rights and forgetting they came here as a tourist and then stayed using "loopholes", and they get upset when the country starts addressing those loopholes. I think this is why Thai Visa is such a messed up forum, too many farangs get confused about the reality of their own status in this country (thru no fault of their own quite often... confusing rules makes for conufsed stayers!) . I'm not saying the rules are fair, practical, enforceable, or anything else, but after all its isnt our country and human rights are not that high up on any asian countries agenda, so if you've set up a life based on a false sense of status, and now its under threat, I sympathise with anyone in that situation...everyone living in Thailand as a foreigner should have an exit strategy. I had one until it was stolen from me smile.png...so just goes to show bad things dont only happen in Thailand.

"so if you've set up a life based on a false sense of status, and now its under threat, I sympathise with anyone in that situation...everyone living in Thailand as a foreigner should have an exit strategy."

That's very well put.

It's too soon to say, however things could go very badly with all this.

So im going to go out on a limb here. Does this mean if you planned a trip to another part of the country, say Koh Samui, or Chaing Rai and stayed more than 48 hour's you must report to immigration your hotel or guest house address??

This document concerns Hua Hin Immigation ONLY

You don't depend of Hua Hin Immigration if you live in Pattaya... rolleyes.gif

Edit: Shortened after seeing "carstenp" answer above wink.png

Actually I live well out of Pattaya, but that is where I have to go.....Does that mean Hua Hin authorities will only accept documents stamped by their immigration people? Which desk do I have to go to in Jomtiem and what is the cost? If I decide to visit Hua Hin I guess I need to go to their immigration too.

Edited by jacko45k

So im going to go out on a limb here. Does this mean if you planned a trip to another part of the country, say Koh Samui, or Chaing Rai and stayed more than 48 hour's you must report to immigration your hotel or guest house address??

No, it's the responsibility of the hotel/guest house to do that. Hotels have been reporting this data since day 1, there's no change on any front.

• Like 2

No the hotel will do it for you. You are allowed to travel everywhere. It's the hotels problem. Enjoy you trip
  • Like 1

is it just me or do others detect a "trend" here?

The trend I detect is many expats and tourist taking their dollars and baht to other countries to spend.

I understand making it difficult for the irresponsible, low life "overstayers" ans other schemers  to remain in Thailand.

Everyone will benefit from that. 

Making it difficult for responsible, expats and tourists who are very good for the Thai economy is just plain foolish! 

Nobody will benefit from that...except other countries.

• Like 1

It is a requirement for all Hong Kong Residents to carry the official HK issued ID Card and for visitors to carry their Passports.
Hong Kong Police employ the "Stop and Search" method to keep a check on illegals and others. Failure to produce results in a fine and/ or arrest. Has been the case since the 1970's.
Incidentally, if caught working in Hong Kong without a Work Permit, immediate deportation.

No the hotel will do it for you. You are allowed to travel everywhere. It's the hotels problem. Enjoy you trip

On your arrival card you already reported your place of stay, and if that changes you need to visit Immigration and report your new address. This applies to both tourists and expats.

On your arrival card you already reported your place of stay, and if that changes you need to visit Immigration and report your new address. This applies to both tourists and expats.

Link to source please.

is it just me or do others detect a "trend" here?

The trend I detect is many expats and tourist taking their dollars and baht to other countries to spend.

I understand making it difficult for the irresponsible, low life "overstayers" ans other schemers  to remain in Thailand.

Everyone will benefit from that. 

Making it difficult for responsible, expats and tourists who are very good for the Thai economy is just plain foolish! 

Nobody will benefit from that...except other countries.

The military government is clamping down on corruption.  All these new rules are just a way to get Tea Money legally!  It will push people away from Thailand and they will end up the beggars of ASEAN.  What we need now is for the TAT to host a 'Happy Farang Carrying Passport' party weekend and all problems will be solved. Final nail in the coffin of Tourism in Thailand?

• Like 1

Link to source please.

Link