Immigration: Foreigners must now carry valid ID at all times, report within 24 hours

Does this include everywhere else? 

Meaning I only have to carry my Thai Drivers Licencse - no need to keep my passport or a copy with me as well?

Yes...seems like it...but wait there's more!

Whenever I go to visit the wife's family over the weekend (or go anywhere for more than 24 hours), I have to call her brother's (who are policemen) to tell them I'm coming! lol. Why doesn't immigration put tracking collars on all foreigners. They there we know where we all are 24/7. That's basically their goal. Tourists / backpackers who want to travel extensively, will just not want to come to Thailand for fear of being fined when they don't report their whereabouts. 

And could my wife be fined for not reporting I've lived in our house the last 14 years? (despite the fact we do 90 day reports!!!)

Just leave for an hour and come back and start the 24 hour cycle again? 

BKK/Ratchaburi....it's not very convenient. I just don't think this will be in any way enforced outside of tourist areas (and then only over a short period). Maybe time to go for 80% tint on my car windows laugh.png

Good thinking 99. I usually wear a hat and sunglasses in the car anyway. Just trying to blend in.

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fine. I have to carry ID. So do lots of people around the world. No big deal.

But reporting every 24 hours, if you leave your already reported address...?

What are they trying to prove?

This gives me a creepy feeling and it rings a bell. And I sure don't like the sound of that bell.

UK driving licence has a photo, surely this can be used as photo ID?

It could, but question does your UK Driving License have your passport number on it ? I think that Immigration wants that so they can check your Immigration Status.

A good point, my Thai driving license does have my verified passport number on it.

Not if you've renewed your passport in the past five years it doesn't.

If you get a new passport and have a Thai driving licence, you should also notify the Driving Licence Office and they will issue you with a new d/l with the new passport number on it!!    Think this costs no more than 150 Bt!   Your d/l should always show your current passport number!

• Like 1

Thank you Dr. Like I've said over and over again, some people just don't get it. If enforced yes TM 28 in addition to whatever the hotel etc. reports. And 2008 is not relevant today, only today and tomorrow.

Just because you've said it over and over again doesn't make your interpretation correct!

If that is not how the law says it is.. Why is there a form for the alien to do and a form for the housemaster.. 

It would be the same form if it was an either or.. 

1. This appears to refer to section 38 of the immigration Act and form TM.30 applies.

Are owners of Tourist Visa or non-Imm Visa concerned? (temporary permit?)

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , 
or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in 
the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration 
Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 
hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration 
Office located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.
 In case the house , dwelling place , or hotel where the alien has 
stayed under provision of Para.1 is located within the Bangkok area , such 
notification must be reported to the competent official at the Immigration 
Division.
 Making notification , in reference to the Para 1 and 2 of this Section , 
must comply with regulations prescribed by the Director General.

2. I cannot find the text "change of residence" in the document Prachuabkhirikhan Immigration Notice attached to the OP, but there is the text "change in residence" in the quoted English translation of section 37, clause 3 of the Immigration Act, Form TM.28 applies.

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom 
must comply with the following :

3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such 
alien resides, within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival. In the case of 
change in residence in which new residence is not located the same area with the 
former police stations , such alien must notify the police official of the police 
station for that area within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival.

3. I see this as a reference to "the alien , who entered to stay temporarily in the Kingdom under Section 35, to remain in the Kingdom under any prescribed conditions". This includes every foreigner who does not have a Certificate of Residence, ie who is not a Permanent Resident, as per Chapter 5 of the Immigration Act. Therefore, foreigners with a "temporary entry permit" are all foreigners who have a permission to stay for a limited period, which includes all who arrive visa-exempt, with a visa of any kind other than an immigrant visa, or with a re-entry permit based on a permission to stay for a limited period.

Are owners of Tourist Visa or non-Imm Visa concerned? The OP says they are, with the text "There is also another reporting obligation, and this applies when a foreigner visits another province and stays for more than 48 hours. In that case the reporting of the new address must be provided to the police, or the immigration, within 48 hours."  This is a clear reference to Section 37, clause 4 of the Immigration Act, but erroneously mentions a stay of more than 48 hours instead of 24 hours as shown in the law.

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom 

must comply with the following : 
4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than 
twenty – four hours , such alien must notify the police official of the police station 
for that area within forty – eight hours from the time of arrival.

However, section 37 also says the following:

The provision of ( 3 ) and ( 4 ) shall not apply to any cases under 
Section 34 by any conditions as prescribed by the Director General.

It was good of the Hua Hin immigration official to give the participants in the meeting a document quoting the text of sections 37 and 38 of the Immigration Act, but unfortunately this document does not also include the text of the the above-mentioned "conditions as prescribed by the Director General", whom the Act defines as the Director General of the Police Department.

Superb post.. I especially note.. 

There is also another reporting obligation, and this applies when a foreigner visits another province and stays for more than 48 hours. In that case the reporting of the new address must be provided to the police, or the immigration, within 48 hours."

the use of the term another clearly states that this is in addition to any other reporting that the housemaster does. Other wise it would be instead of. 

So are tourists here for two weeks now meant to take their passports to the beach, trekking through the jungle or in a soapy massage??

"Copy of passport verified and stamped by Hua Hin Immigration"

Not clear though how wide spread this policy will be as it seems Hua Hin only at the moment.

Don't tell me, let me guess ... they will make the Hua Hin stamp to fill an entire page.  I mean, if they are going to ram it in... why stop half way.  I am a huge fan of Thailand ... but sometimes I have to shake my head and just wrap it around the fact "You can not fix stupid."

Let's see... we run a resort town.
Let's make coming to it as difficult and uncomfortable as possible.  I mean, it is not like you can find any other beach to go to in Thailand ... right?

After being here for 4 years, I've come to the conclusion that there are numerous better choices of places to be than Thailand. The stupidity level of this place is off the charts. It is getting more expensive here all the time. The people are for the most part smug and arrogant. (LOS is a crock as those smiles are as phony as the day is long.) Immigration in this country has always been the most pain in the arse for visas and long term stay individuals of any of the SE Asian countries. This is just frosting on the cake.

Edited by 61guitarman61
  • Like 2

"Hua Hin Immigration is from today also enforcing the requirements that you and your landlord (condominium owner, house owner etc) must report to Immigration within 24 hours of moving in to a new address. On your arrival card you already reported your place of stay, and if that changes you need to visit Immigration and report your new address."

......kind of a hassle for those on a tour of Thailand?

Why is it a hassle? If your are touring you presumably stay in a Hotel or guest house. they give you a card to fill in and they inform immigration. Same in most countries.

No comments of the 48 hour law, you all understand?

"There is also another reporting obligation, and this applies when a foreigner visits another province and stays for more than 48 hours. In that case the reporting of the new address must be provided to the police, or the immigration, within 48 hours."

Lets say you live in Bangkok and like to spend the weekend in Pattaya (Chon Buri province). Beware not staying more then 48 hours!!!

In case of, you have to report your new address to police or immigration. Most probably then the police, as it is weekend and Immigration are closed. Beside this, the hotel or friend that gives you a room, also have to report your name and passport number.

A quick calculation, gives some hundreds of thousands reports, every day.

That retard, writing this law 1979, still alive?

Let's look at this a bit different, the hotel does it's job, fills out and sends via computer FM 30. You do NOT do FM 28 and immigration actually has a computer system that works. Now "they" know you have violated the letter of the law. How much will it cost, how many times before the knock on your door or the questions at 90 day report, ah the unthinkable-your wife finds out you weren't really where you were supposed to be (and/or who you were with, perhaps the worst consequence of all...lol), how long before you are booted out of the Kingdom? A can of worms has been opened. What a pain in the ass this will be if implemented Kingdom wide.

I travel in Thailand six months a year, split my time 3-3-3 & 3 Bali -Thailand.
Going threw two Bombs and hundreds of bodys with no ID is why you should
carry ID.
Has anyone seen a body squashed on the road with no ID, that aint fun!!!
"who do you call" ?
That is why you carry ID!!!
As has been said carry a copy of your passport and your visa in a belt its that easy

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ok did I miss something in the reporting documentation.. it says the HOST! must file the form within 24 hours, not the tourist.

Yes you missed the entire section 37 of the immigration act Where it says as well as the host "the alien must..." 

See page 2 of the Hua Hin printout for a recap. 

I'm sorry but I can't find anything in section 37 of the Immigration Act about a host. Let us remember that that the OP talks about three different reporting requirements and it will be useful to define which of these three we are referring to in our posts:

Section 37(3): the alien must notify change in residence.

Section 37(4): the alien must notify change of stay of longer than 24 hours when travelling to another province

Section 38: "The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned."

It is important to note that section 38 does not oblige the alien arriving at a residence, or hotel to submit the form TM.30 Notification Form for House Master, Owner, or the Possessor of The Residence Where Aliens Have Stay. If an alien happens be the house-master or the owner or the possessor of the residence at which he arrives he must make the notification in that capacity, not because he is a foreigner.

If an alien happens be the house-master or the owner or the possessor of the residence at which he arrives he must make the notification in that capacity, not because he is a foreigner.

So in that case you'd have to submit both TM.28 to satisfy Section 37(3) and TM.30 to satisfy Section 38, right ?

• Like 1

Can anyone please clarify these new rules for me...
I'm not living in Thailand and when I travel to Thailand I usually stay in the LOS for a thirty days, I will usually stay in Bkk for a few days before going on to Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Huahin etc. I mix it up every time so it doesn't get boring, on the arrival form I write in the first hotel I stay at in Bkk, there is not enough room on the form to write in all the hotels/location I will be staying at, so from now on will I have to report to the local police station every time I go somewhere new?
What about package tours, will everyone on a tour be required to call in at a local police station when they get to a new destination?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

To the OP, regarding this sentence in the OP:

Hua Hin Immigration is from today also enforcing the requirements that you and your landlord (condominium owner, house owner etc) must report to Immigration within 24 hours of moving in to a new address.

I take this to be with reference to section 38 of the Immigration Act, which says:

The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned."

Am I guessing correctly?

Can anyone please clarify these new rules for me...
I'm not living in Thailand and when I travel to Thailand I usually stay in the LOS for a thirty days, I will usually stay in Bkk for a few days before going on to Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Huahin etc. I mix it up every time so it doesn't get boring, on the arrival form I write in the first hotel I stay at in Bkk, there is not enough room on the form to write in all the hotels/location I will be staying at, so from now on will I have to report to the local police station every time I go somewhere new?
What about package tours, will everyone on a tour be required to call in at a local police station when they get to a new destination?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

the hotel notifies immigration

Maestro, you are correct, we do not fill out form TM 30. But, Section 37(4): "the alien must notify change of stay of longer than 24 hours when traveling to another province". That is the looming problem. Nit picking, I would guess my wife would have to refill TM 30 every time I left for more than 24 hours and returned. For many with wives and long time girl friends that "own" our houses that could be a potential problem much more detrimental to your health than anything Immigration has in mind....lol. I hate uncertainty, and that is what we have now, nothing to do about it but bitch and pop a top. With any luck I'll be out of the province in a couple of days and no, I'm not filling out TM 28 and the hotel I stay at will not be filling out TM 30, the room is not registered in my name and never is. I'm beginning to feel like I've been transported back to the US of A.
  • Like 1

To the OP, regarding this sentence in the OP:

Hua Hin Immigration is from today also enforcing the requirements that you and your landlord (condominium owner, house owner etc) must report to Immigration within 24 hours of moving in to a new address.

I take this to be with reference to section 38 of the Immigration Act, which says:

The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned."

Am I guessing correctly?

Correct.

There is no discrimination here. Thais have to carry their ID card at all times too or face a fine. They also have to report travel to other province and change of residence. Don't see why expats should be allowed special rules.

All the Thai people I know never report to any one when they go see their family all across the country...not sure the many millions I don't know do report by the way  blink.png

Imagine Songkran in Isaan! Most officials are 'out for the count' anyway.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

the fine for not reporting by the landlord is up to 2k baht. There is no penalty for the travelling foreigner. Might as well ignore the whole circus and once in a long time pay a few hundred fine.

The original article says that the penalty for not carrying your ID at all times is 2000 baht.

As for the 24 hour reporting requirement for changing location for more than 48 hours, perhaps this is the responsibility of the hotel/landlord, perhaps not. As with most announcements from immigration recently, it is as clear as mud.

If this nonsense starts getting reported more widely, particularly if they really start enforcing it, I would not be surprised to see a large number of tourists cancelling their Thailand plans and going to nearby countries that are a bit more rational and laid back, like Vietnam, Cambodia, or Myanmar.

When is the TAT going to speak out and request that immigration cease and desist from it's attempts to completely destroy tourism in Thailand?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Maestro, you are correct, we do not fill out form TM 30. But, Section 37(4): "the alien must notify change of stay of longer than 24 hours when traveling to another province". That is the looming problem. Nit picking, I would guess my wife would have to refill TM 30 every time I left for more than 24 hours and returned. For many with wives and long time girl friends that "own" our houses that could be a potential problem much more detrimental to your health than anything Immigration has in mind....lol. I hate uncertainty, and that is what we have now, nothing to do about it but bitch and pop a top. With any luck I'll be out of the province in a couple of days and no, I'm not filling out TM 28 and the hotel I stay at will not be filling out TM 30, the room is not registered in my name and never is. I'm beginning to feel like I've been transported back to the US of A.

Not sure why you would feel transported back to the US of A. Despite the paranoid delusions of many, there are no requirements to carry ID or report your location every 24 hours, unlike the country formerly known as the Land of Smiles.

So lets say a tourist arrives at Suvarnabhumi airport and gets a taxi into Bangkok for a couple of nights, the address they use on the arrival form is the hotel in Bangkok.

After a few nights in Bangkok they get a taxi to Hua Hin and check into a hotel for two or three weeks, the rest of their holiday.

Do they now need to go to immigration within 24/48 hours of arriving at their new hotel in Hua Hin and report that they have changed address or is this taken care of by the house master who operates the hotel ?

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

As if anybody would carry their passport around on a daily basis. I keep mine in the safe when I'm there. A 2K Baht fine (almost zero chance you would ever be caught anyway) is a lot less than trying to get a temporary passport. Or better yet, just carry a photocopy, and then pay the "no immigration stamp fine" of 300baht (damn, inflation!) directly to the BIB.