Immigration: Foreigners must now carry valid ID at all times, report within 24 hours

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As with any announcement from Immgration, I am always left with more questions than I have answers...

So are tourists here for two weeks now meant to take their passports to the beach, trekking through the jungle or in a soapy massage??

In the past, I have carried a passport COPY in my pocket wherever I go. However, I ordered a Passport Card last time I renewed my US Passport. Perfect for carrying around town. Yet - if lost of stolen - or kept by a jet ski vendor or the cops - no biggie.  The part about visiting the police station everytime I transfer to a new hotel is ridiculous. I imagine the hotel simply submits a Guest List each day online. If not - come and get me MFers....

I wounder if a copy certified by the local police station can work as well?! Because there is no immigration office in the province and I have 140 kilometers to the assigned immigration office (I'm doing the 90 days reports by EMS).

And what about car and motorbike rentals who ask for passport deposit? Is this now illegal?

At least in my case it's always been illegal. I don't own the passport, it belongs to my native country and I'm not allowed to give it to anybody.

So when you leave you passport to a foreign consulate to get a visa you would be breaking the law ? 

No, is not so. Anywaycountries do not clearly stipulate who has property of the material passport book, so we're discussing on smoke. 

DrTuner is correct, apart from the point on not being allowed to "give it to anybody".

My British Passport belongs to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), and indeed, they have the right to withdraw it if I do not abide by the laws of the country. I am not permitted to pass my passport to any authority, other than to check my details, and, if necessary take a copy. The demand by a hire company for anyone to leave their passport with them as security is illegal, and indeed, this is probably the point at which most of the illegal passport copies start.

In cases where I am applying for a renewal of my passport or any visa contained within it, the relevant authority must provide me with an official receipt, and this receipt must be accepted by any official if I am stopped. The receipt is, in effect, a temporary passport.

Whichever country you are from, you will find that similar rules apply.

Can't help feeling a creeping nationalism creeping into Thailand. Especially with the ASEAN community opening the doors for surrounding countries next year.

It's not creeping, it's been there since the Immigration Act was passed in 1979. Guess they didn't have gazillions of tourists back then and could assign a personal police officer to keep an eye on each one.

I was worry and confused about reporting my address, most because I did last time when I got married years ago. I went to immigration and asked about. They said that my address shows on their computers records and I only need to report it again if I move. Exactly what I was expecting.

I never carried my passport on the streets. Now I understood that if I keep with me copies with all the immigration extension, stamps, etc, I will not need to have the oriinal. Am I right?

That new rule to report after 48 hours outside our permanente residence...will not last.

Imagine if I will do it every weekend I spend with the inlaws...and how immigration will know how many days I was traveling?

Doesn't makes any sense...

Edited by umbanda

"Hua Hin Immigration is from today also enforcing the requirements that you and your landlord (condominium owner, house owner etc) must report to Immigration within 24 hours of moving in to a new address. On your arrival card you already reported your place of stay, and if that changes you need to visit Immigration and report your new address."

......kind of a hassle for those on a tour of Thailand?

Yes. Driving to a hotel for a weekend away with the wife is also going to be a hassle if I have to report to a police station when I arrive. Or driving from Udon to Phuket, stopping three times overnight on the way, (which I do twice a year) also becomes a bit of a chore if I have to report to a police station every night.

Good that they are enforcing the laws, but some laws seem somewhat outdated. Edited by Carrerakiss
  • Like 1

It looks like this is just Hua Hin at the moment.

I don't really see what it is all about. I am ok that you have to carry ID on you at all times, this is the same as many countries but the reporting of your residence within 24 hours is just silly. 

If you are here on holiday and staying in a hotel then its not likely you are going to move. 

If you are here on holiday travelling around the country then you won't bother with all that nonsense

And if you are here longer term then you report your address to immigration every 90 days anyway.

So, the authorities data is likely never much more then a couple months out date anyway. This looks like a lot of additional administration,, does anyone ever think these things through?

If they want to find someone urgently for a serious matter then those people are unlikely to disclose whereabouts and just get someone else to do the tenancy agreement.

Whats next? Microchip with GPS tracker on entry?

It all seems a little unnecessary and yet another bureaucratic process making foreigners feel even more unwelcome, the vast majority of which are normal, decent people. I like the fact that the military "seems" to be squashing the old corruption and trying to clean things up but I am slowly getting the feeling that its time to say goodbye to this land and earn my living somewhere else.

tYPICAL of an army controlled state,with no one to answer to.If you are staying in a hotel, the hotel lets immigration know you are there

This is the new milk cow-- Copy of passport verified and stamped by Hua Hin Immigration. And how much will they charge for that?Like the proof of 

residence paper  that suppose to be free but never is. I paid 500b in Phuket and Pattay robbed me on 300b ,for something that is free?smile.png

Edited by INV
  • Like 1

"Hua Hin Immigration is from today also enforcing the requirements that you and your landlord (condominium owner, house owner etc) must report to Immigration within 24 hours of moving in to a new address. On your arrival card you already reported your place of stay, and if that changes you need to visit Immigration and report your new address."

Yes. Driving to a hotel for a weekend away with the wife is also going to be a hassle if I have to report to a police station when I arrive. Or driving from Udon to Phuket, stopping three times overnight on the way, (which I do twice a year) also becomes a bit of a chore if I have to report to a police station every night.

Good that they are enforcing the laws, but some laws seem somewhat outdated.

Hotels report your arrival - you do not need to do anything.

Edited by pontious
  • Like 1

tYPICAL of an army controlled state,with no one to answer to.If you are staying in a hotel, the hotel lets immigration know you are there

It was exactly like that even before. One could say Thailand has always been an army/police controlled state.

• Like 1

I hope Hua Hin immigration bust some of these "foreigner gathering places" like bars, restaurants and markets in the tourist centre and chuck some of these heinous law-breakers in a cell for a couple of weeks. And a hefty fine to boot. Dat'll learn 'em. I am sick to death of these CRIMINALS flouting Thai law. annoyed.gif.pagespeed.ce.EWbqpZ7s0b.gif

• Like 1

about carrying an ID with you, well, it happens in many parts of the world, it really is not a hassle, but reporting to inmigration every change of residence if it is for longer than 24 hours???? Tourism in Thailand is dead if you have to follow this rule, this is absolute nonsense.

I think I am turning west for my holidays, Costa Rica seems good to me.

• Like 1

I hope Hua Hin immigration bust some of these "foreigner gathering places" like bars, restaurants and markets in the tourist centre and chuck some of these heinous law-breakers in a cell for a couple of weeks. And a hefty fine to boot. Dat'll learn 'em. I am sick to death of these CRIMINALS flouting Thai law. annoyed.gif.pagespeed.ce.EWbqpZ7s0b.gif

Throw in the smokers and i give you a big + 1 sir

• Like 1

Travel outside your province. If you live in Hua Hin and you go to Chiang Mai for a few days, your hotel or wherever you stay ought to have checked your passport and reported to Immigrations anyway as they have always been supposed to do. If you stay with the extended family for a few days, maybe more problematical, but also a good excuse to not visit that often.

Its clearly states it is the foreigners responsibility to check in with the police within 48 hours. 

It was exactly like that even before. One could say Thailand has always been an army/police controlled state.

I agree sir

• Like 2

Much to do about nothing.  First as said, the hotels do the job and will continue when you travel around.  The brownies when mostly checking on the foreigners with bikes, will have another reason to give you a "contribution". I carry in my bike copy of my passport for ages.  Stronger, I have an international Drivers licence, but every time, I was checked and presented my Belgian Licence (with English on it DRIVERS LICENCE, among other languages), everything was fine!

For someone renting houses while travelling, it would be more difficult. But then, how can they check easy and fast that you  left another rented house more then 48 hours ago?  They are not going to check you on every corner of the street. And for those coming as a tourist to Thailand, as myself, a lot, how much have you been checked on this?  I think if you are, you will have really bad luck.  I never been checked in 24 years, and asked for my passport, or a copy. So maybe now it will happen more often, but nothing to worry about.

So many alarming news, but in fact not that much changes except for expats, that use tourist visas. 

UK driving licence has a photo, surely this can be used as photo ID?

It could, but question does your UK Driving License have your passport number on it ? I think that Immigration wants that so they can check your Immigration Status.

A good point, my Thai driving license does have my verified passport number on it.

reporting every 48 hours away from home is ridiculous... so now we aren't able to go anywhere!!

I bicycled 159 days thru 77 provinces last year in Thailand with my Thai wife.

Only 2 hotels wanted to see my ID... out of 150 nights accommodation.

There is not many hotels reporting anywhere in Thailand... as far as I can tell.

The 2 hotels where NOT In tourist areas, one was Narathiwat and the other was somewhere in Isan.

• Like 2

[snip]

A recall an interview awhile back in Chiang Mai City Life with Immigration head and he said that the piles of papers coming in from hotels every day about guests, along with 90 day reporting where the two big time wasters using their resources and slowing them down, his staff hated deal with it all apparently.

UK driving licence has a photo, surely this can be used as photo ID?

It could, but question does your UK Driving License have your passport number on it ? I think that Immigration wants that so they can check your Immigration Status.

Does aThai driving licence have your passport number on it?

Yes

reporting every 48 hours away from home is ridiculous... so now we aren't able to go anywhere!!

The hotel does this - not you !

Does it ? http://www.thailawforum.com/database1/immigration-law-mejesty-6.html according to the act it's the Alien's responsibility, Section 37. The hotel's responsibilities are in Section 38.

4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty – four hours , such alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty – eight hours from the time of arrival.

As Bernard Flint posted:-

If you are staying in a hotel, the hotel lets immigration know you are there

• Like 1

As Bernard Flint posted:-

If you are staying in a hotel, the hotel lets immigration know you are there

I do wish people would read the op correctly, instead of this glass half empty attitude

• Like 1