Immigration: Foreigners must now carry valid ID at all times, report within 24 hours

My own residence being in Samui "if" I understood well the immigration officer a few days ago blink.png I could report my temporary new address to the Surathani immigration website

...but not sure 100%... I went to their website this afternoon, only in Thai language (hard to believe for immigration) of course the page can be translate with Google translate but not entirely. Anyhow I am not going anywhere for the moment.

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's it ... a SmartPhone/Tablet/SmartDevice App... using GPS the Thai Government Immigration Authorities can track you with your SmartDevice App ... If visiting Thailand one is required to have a SmartPhone / Tablet / SmartDevice and the APP ... makes an initial registration done at a local Thai Immigration office or Border Checkpoint with passport/visa produced... And then you are required to turn on your SmartDevice with APP once every 24 hours with connection to WiFi ... There 'ya go .. simple - it is done... Failure to comply means at the next Report or Border run - you are Zapped if determined to be not in compliance ... 

They would be smart to just issue us ID cards and charge a fee.  No one wants to carry their passport around and a stamped copy will be a crumpled mess inside of a day so why not just charge 300B and give us a photo ID?  Maybe we could use it at malls etc for tourist discounts like the offer when displaying a passport to compensate us for the cost.  

Tourists that can't manage to put together some form of ID for this purpose, a laminated photo copy of the passport perhaps, shouldn't be allowed passports in the first place.

Does this include everywhere else? 

Meaning I only have to carry my Thai Drivers Licencse - no need to keep my passport or a copy with me as well?

If it did not say clueless member above your avatar I would have ripped you a fresh one. Yes, is the answer to your question Captain Obvious.

I have a feeling this is more of a crackdown on hotels who don't make the correct reports.

By requiring tourists to report themselves in the case of the hotel or 'house master' not making the report the immigration department will quickly get a list of which hotels / 'house masters' are not complying with this regulation.

Ok, here's the Thai side of this...my sister-in-law traveled from Samut Prakan to her parents place in Tak.  On the way back (on a bus) not only was she required to produce her ID, but also needed to produce her sons birth certificate.  Needless to say she didn't have said ID for her son with her and was sent back to the parents place until a copy of the birth certificate could be faxed to Tak police.  And this was before the junta.  So the inconvenience isn't just for foreigners.

A good point, my Thai driving license does have my verified passport number on it.

My old passport expired before my most recent Thai driver's license.  Thus, my passport and driver's license numbers are not the same.  Ugh.  sad.png

I think Immigration will have ways to match your name and your old passport Number to your current Immigration Status, or is that wishful thinking ? thumbsup.gif

I really hope it's not just wishful thinking.  Bu I'll probably go and get a copy of my passport stamped.   Not a big deal, but kind of a PITA.

• Like 1

They would be smart to just issue us ID cards and charge a fee.  No one wants to carry their passport around and a stamped copy will be a crumpled mess inside of a day so why not just charge 300B and give us a photo ID?  Maybe we could use it at malls etc for tourist discounts like the offer when displaying a passport to compensate us for the cost.  

Tourists that can't manage to put together some form of ID for this purpose, a laminated photo copy of the passport perhaps, shouldn't be allowed passports in the first place.

I agree with you but the size of the passport or official copy becomes a hassle.  Does not exactly fit in a wallet.  I would certainly laminate mine but in some places of the world laminating nullifies the document.

Would it not be easier to ask all foreigners to carry an anckle bracelet. Perhaps a waterproof one for when tourists go to the beach?

Would be even easier to just say "You are not welcome here!" But doing it Thai-style, it is not always easy to just get to the point or say your opinion directly...

• Like 1

I dont get it, when thaivisa,com representatives get invited to such a announcement don't the ask questions? like for example, how this can be controlled? and why such a rule is conducted?

As earlier mentioned, this only raise more questions than answers..

• Like 1

Nonsense, in fifteen years here I've never been shaken down by the police or asked to pay a bribe, it's a story that is propagated by the few but never experienced by the majority,

cheesy.gif

I love posts like this.  Reminds me of the Pattaya boards where fine gentlemen say such things like, "In the 100 years I've lived here, I've never seen a single criminal act or a corrupt police officer in Thailand, you are clearly falsifying information to slander the great Kingdom. My brother-in-law is a top general in the military and he also confirms this. I live in Pattaya for the wonderful beaches, kind people, and golf."

Thanks for the laugh.

• Like 1

I have a feeling this is more of a crackdown on hotels who don't make the correct reports.

By requiring tourists to report themselves in the case of the hotel or 'house master' not making the report the immigration department will quickly get a list of which hotels / 'house masters' are not complying with this regulation.

Would be possible if they had the means to cross-reference the reports, as in computers. Won't happen if it's A4's (TM30's and TM28's).

• Like 1

I think the Junta is going to start clamping down harder on foreigners.  I get the feeling we are not welcome in the new Thailand.

Did you ever go to Burma in the late 80s or 90s?  It wasn't uncommon to have an armed solider follow you EVERYWHERE you went and wait outside of wherever you were, even your hotel. It was creepy.

No doubt the Thai junta has been reading the Burmese playbook. While these rules have been on the books for a while, you can bet your bottom things are going to get much, much worse for foreigners here. No where has military rule ever worked out for the better of the people.

• Like 1

I think the Junta is going to start clamping down harder on foreigners.  I get the feeling we are not welcome in the new Thailand.

I'll join your club if and when they start changing the rules for extension of stay. As the Immigration Act is now seemingly fully enforced .. where will they go next and how deep ? With the speed they're keeping up, I guess we'll know in a couple of months. Better to have your plans B to Z ready and updated.

• Like 2

This is no news "we are not welcome here"   whistling.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Did you ever go to Burma in the late 80s or 90s?  It wasn't uncommon to have an armed solider follow you EVERYWHERE you went and wait outside of wherever you were, even your hotel. It was creepy.

No doubt the Thai junta has been reading the Burmese playbook. While these rules have been on the books for a while, you can bet your bottom things are going to get much, much worse for foreigners here. No where has military rule ever worked out for the better of the people.

And the country will fall further into the pits!!    They need the foreign income.

Can you fathom going to any other country in the world, and as you move from city to city as a tourist, you have to go to immigration the next morning, stand in line and eat up hours of your day to let them know where you are that day?  That is North Korea / 80s & 90s Burma nonsense.

Tax problems are Thai problems, not ours.

From what I understand this is the exact way it works in China if you're not staying in a hotel which does the report for you.

I'm not sure about other countries but I know they do this in the UK for people on certain types of visa. For example students are required to report a change of address to the local police station. Ref : http://www.ox.ac.uk/students/visa/during/police

Not for general movement. You can go from city to city and you as a tourist do not have to check in with Chinese immigration. If the hotels do or not is their problem. It is the cost and hassle of doing business.

• Like 1

all this means that foreigners can't move around the country or visit friends without telling the police.

Yes, and imagine the reaction from these horrible people who break the law, if not reporting. My family members come here to visit us here and they will have to report every time they go to a new place, if they do not live at hotels, but with other family/friends here.

Everybody just loves sitting at the police office on their holiday. Makes them feel so much welcome and appreciated. On our next round trip visiting family and friends here, we will have to only report 3 times. Guess my time will be spent at the police office. Just lovely!

Extremely stupid rule!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There is no discrimination here. Thais have to carry their ID card at all times too or face a fine. They also have to report travel to other province and change of residence. Don't see why expats should be allowed special rules.

Thais yes to carry their ID card but never have heard of them having to report travel to another province! Thais can move and live where they want as long as their name is in a home book somewhere. Now some Hill Tribes and migrants still have to ad they do not have the full ID card and have to pay to go say to Bangkok from Chiang Mai. The time they move their names to a new home book is when they move to their own house if they want or to get their children in local catchment schools.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The reason the yellow book came out was for Thais working out of province to register temporarily on someone else's blue book.

The yellow book was not introduced for farangs.

This information is from Mrs. Chrisinth, Miss Google-Bing 2014........................wink.png