Immigration: Foreigners must now carry valid ID at all times, report within 24 hours

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Hua Hin Immigration is from today also enforcing the requirements that you and your landlord (condominium owner, house owner etc) must report to Immigration within 24 hours of moving in to a new address. On your arrival card you already reported your place of stay, and if that changes you need to visit Immigration and report your new address."

......kind of a hassle for those on a tour of Thailand?

Yes. Driving to a hotel for a weekend away with the wife is also going to be a hassle if I have to report to a police station when I arrive. Or driving from Udon to Phuket, stopping three times overnight on the way, (which I do twice a year) also becomes a bit of a chore if I have to report to a police station every night.

Good that they are enforcing the laws, but some laws seem somewhat outdated.

Hotels report your arrival - you do not need to do anything.

Thats clearly NOT what it says.. 

An alien.. Must comply.. 

If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than 24 hours such alien must notify the police.  

x3.jpg.pagespeed.ic.gm65zXLNrV.webp

"Hua Hin Immigration is from today also enforcing the requirements that you and your landlord (condominium owner, house owner etc) must report to Immigration within 24 hours of moving in to a new address. On your arrival card you already reported your place of stay, and if that changes you need to visit Immigration and report your new address."

It's a great money maker for the police - no id/no reporting presence in another province...a cool 2000 baht fine. I don't see how any of this helps tourism.

I think the rate will be an easy Bt1000 to the nice BIB 

I am due to stay in Thailand for 4 weeks from 14 Aug, with all this crap going on "if I was Able" I would cancel my flight and never return to Thai again. There is a trend and it's downwards. I have no desire to stay anywhere where I am not wanted. Just a pity I have a non refundable ticket. Will try a change of destination I think.

• Like 2

They already do this and have been doing it for years.

The hotel, guesthouse / villa owner needs to do this - not the tourist, at least that's the way it's always been.

This is why you need to provide your passport when checking into a hotel - the details are sent straight to immigration - they have a web based system for people to enter the deails, I've used it myself before.

So is this just a clampdown on the existing rule or a new rule ?

Read the attached image files.. Rightly or wrongly they have stated that it is your responsibility to report when going to a new address.. 

I suspect this whole announcement is really aimed at making hotels, guesthouses, etc more compliant along with those who live in properties who don't report.

[attachment=277131:thai-immigration-hotel-registration.JPG]

If you're staying in a place where they don't report on your behalf I suspect you need to do it yourself.

I really don't think they want everyone who arrives to report their address to immigration in addition to the reports which are done by the hotels, etc.

Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt it.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

This will quadruple the number of tourists that either lose or have their passports stolen. A valid photo id from your home country that can easily be replaced should be all that is required. I would definitely prefer to wear a tracking bracelet. I have come for a holiday, not to commit criminal acts, so as long as its a nice bracelet, comfortable, and gentle on the eye, ill wear it. It will surely slow down travelling around and sharing the income. tourists will come and plant their arse in one destination for two weeks, and that will be that. It really is starting to become a little to hard. Even thinking about it all is becoming tedious.

Yes. Driving to a hotel for a weekend away with the wife is also going to be a hassle if I have to report to a police station when I arrive. Or driving from Udon to Phuket, stopping three times overnight on the way, (which I do twice a year) also becomes a bit of a chore if I have to report to a police station every night.

Good that they are enforcing the laws, but some laws seem somewhat outdated.

As Bernard Flint posted:-

If you are staying in a hotel, the hotel lets immigration know you are there

I do wish people would read the op correctly, instead of this glass half empty attitude

We are reading it.. in detail.. and it spells out quite clearly whose responsibility it is.. 

You can hope its understood another way, but the language is very clear. 

I don't understand the angst of some posters, there's nothing new in these rules, it's always been the case that hotels have to report their guest lists to Immigration every twenty four hours. It's also always been the case that everyone has to carry some form of ID,

The problem (angst) is that this is still and very much a country filled with a corrupt police force, who will use this as just a new way to get money out of tourists and expats here. The problem is not the rules. The problem is the people enforcing the rules, who are now told they should enforce this. It is a new gold mine for any police officer out there. Think this will be good for the country?

They should clear up corruption first before they start enforcing rules like this. As mentioned before prostitution is also illegal in Thailand. What is being done about that?

Prostitution is regulated (the act itself is not illegal). Bars and gogos are raided regularly for infractions of the regulations. Just like the subject of this thread, the law hasn't changed, it's just being re-emphasised!
  • Like 1

The OP article says:

"Thaivisa has learned that Immigration is likely to enforce this nationwide."

I am in Pattaya. So does anyone know if I can take my passport to the immigration here and get a certified copy of my passport from them?

Thank you.

Edited by R123

UK driving licence has a photo, surely this can be used as photo ID?

....Not the old one which I have, but I always bring an international driving licence/permit which does have a photo. Unfortunately it is the size of a Xmas card so not convenient to carry. I always carry a photocopy of my passport and visa in my wallet, so it should not be too much hassle to get it certified at an immigration office.

I don't understand the angst of some posters, there's nothing new in these rules, it's always been the case that hotels have to report their guest lists to Immigration every twenty four hours. It's also always been the case that everyone has to carry some form of ID, 

The problem (angst) is that this is still and very much a country filled with a corrupt police force, who will use this as just a new way to get money out of tourists and expats here. The problem is not the rules. The problem is the people enforcing the rules, who are now told they should enforce this. It is a new gold mine for any police officer out there. Think this will be good for the country?

They should clear up corruption first before they start enforcing rules like this. As mentioned before prostitution is also illegal in Thailand. What is being done about that?

Nonsense, in fifteen years here I've never been shaken down by the police or asked to pay a bribe, it's a story that is propagated by the few but never experienced by the majority, no vacation in Thailand would be complete without the traveler being able to recant how he/she "was forced to pay a bribe" for something or other and "what a near miss that was"!! - just carry some ID and obey the rules and you'll be just fine.

• Like 2

to carry a plastic card  license like ATM, shouldnt be a problem like everywhere else.

Thanks Herb, just can't stand the whining of the hordes over the sheer inconvenience of having to abide by the countries rules.

And as for will we have to carry our passports at the beach and in the jungle Oh Please are you serious.

• Like 1

The OP article says:

I am in Pattaya. So does anyone know if I can take my passport to the immigration here and get a certified copy of my passport from them?

Thank you.

You could try. But I doubt they'd know what you're talking about! Just get a copy done yourself, like most expats have been doing for years. The ID rule is nothing new.

As Bernard Flint posted:-

If you are staying in a hotel, the hotel lets immigration know you are there

I do wish people would read the op correctly, instead of this glass half empty attitude

We are reading it.. in detail.. and it spells out quite clearly whose responsibility it is.. 

You can hope its understood another way, but the language is very clear. 

This can work both ways.

It is your responsibility to make sure you're registered with immigration but the hotel normally does this for you - the hotel doesn't do this to help you - it's the law.

If anyone goes to immigration and tells them they're staying at a hotel I suspect immigration will be paying the hotel a visit to find out why the hotel is not making the reports they are required by law to make.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

And what about car and motorbike rentals who ask for passport deposit? Is this now illegal?

It always was illegal. Sorry, let me rephrase, it was always stupid to give your passport to anybody.

OK, just in case it wasn't illegal, sounds better anyway. You have a responsibility for your passport.......................wink.png

• Like 1

It's a great money maker for the police - no id/no reporting presence in another province...a cool 2000 baht fine. I don't see how any of this helps tourism.

well i guess now they've managed to stop huge amount of the Thai tourist industry coming ( i.e. the peeps who like to come and stay and live long term on tourist visas) they have to find a new way of getting all that lost money back??

yet another example of how they fail to look at or understand the long-term effects of their actions/legislations...

My wife laughs at farangs in Thailand.  She has never been required to carry her passport or report on bail every 90 days.  She doesn't laugh in a mean way as she is an Aussie/thai citizen more laughing at the thai system requiring Farangs to report on bail.  She never had to do it in Australia.

There is no discrimination here. Thais have to carry their ID card at all times too or face a fine. They also have to report travel to other province and change of residence. Don't see why expats should be allowed special rules.

Change of residence yes, but my missus has never reported travel.

• Like 1

Read the attached image files.. Rightly or wrongly they have stated that it is your responsibility to report when going to a new address.. 

Perhaps they will get with the times and create a working website where everyone can report their every move. No one wants to deal with going to immigration to stand in line to pay a fee that is meaningless .

Better yet, why not just make a "check-in" app for phones so they know where you are at all times, 24/7?  That's what they really want. For your safety of course.

Great. They're starting to enforce the laws written before the dawn of ages. And those rules are actually in the act, so they're not going anywhere soon. Enjoy filling a form every day, oh happiness. 

You might consider that Thais, the occupants of the country which you have chosen to call 'home', have to carry their cards all the time.

Yes but carrying a plastic ID card is quite different to carrying  a passport.  Long term residents are fine because they can always get a driving license but I think that placing these restrictions on tourists is counter productive.  The easy thing to do would be to issue incoming tourists with a plastic card visa including a photo.   It is fine for hotels and apartments to inform about who is staying each day (that happens in many countries) but I think expecting tourists to ever do this themselves is going too far.  Part of Thailands attraction to tourists are its perceived laid back and relaxed attitudes.

• Like 2

The OP article says:

Thank you.

"At a meeting with Hua Hin Immigration and municipality, Thaivisa.com was informed of the news about the immediate enforcement regarding the requirements for foreigners - both tourists and expats - to carry valid photo ID at all times. Thaivisa has learned that Immigration is likely to enforce this nationwide."

Making an announcement before it becomes a nation wide law has raised more questions than answers and Thai Visa owes it to their followers to get some answers and fast.

• Like 1