Immigration: Foreigners must now carry valid ID at all times, report within 24 hours

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was told that westerners are required to carry their original passports with them at all times, regardless whether they have Thai driving licenses or not and that copies of passports will not suffice, because if a person has a 5 year Thai driving license this does not prove that the person still has a valid visa.

This is something I will try to get verified.

So, 20 million tourists arrive in Bangkok, stay a few days then head south. So now 20 million tourists have to go to immigration to report their new address. This is completely crazy. 

As has been pointed out earlier the hotels do this for you...

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The junta has made it clear they have an agenda to control criminal activity, if you are doing nothing wrong no problem. However if you are up to no good you need to be concerned, so what are all you posters of negative comments afraid of?

• Like 2

foreigners are required to carry a valid photo ID at all times...................what the hell is that...blink.png ?......again in english there is nobody who can understand what they want...!

a photo id is only a little 6x6 photo or whatever size...and an ID document is something totaly different, of course in that document there is a photo....please! come on man make it easy.

i am not english nor american citizen but they really should learn that language before starting saying and writing stupid things in that language.

anyway all over europe we are ask to have an ID card who can identifie us at all time and i think it is allright like this but..... call a cat ...a cat and not a dog

coffee1.gif

I think the Junta is going to start clamping down harder on foreigners.  I get the feeling we are not welcome in the new Thailand.

Did you ever go to Burma in the late 80s or 90s?  It wasn't uncommon to have an armed solider follow you EVERYWHERE you went and wait outside of wherever you were, even your hotel. It was creepy.

No doubt the Thai junta has been reading the Burmese playbook. While these rules have been on the books for a while, you can bet your bottom things are going to get much, much worse for foreigners here. No where has military rule ever worked out for the better of the people.

it's all going to end in tears....and it won't be the military crying.

I thought it was necessary for foreigners to always carry ID anyway? This means they are going to enforce what has always been the case?

I'm not a fan of the recent changes, but this doesn't really seem like it's a big deal or anything new. Please get excited and upset about the other changes that are more substantial and meaningful that this one.

• Like 2

I thought it was necessary for foreigners to always carry ID anyway? This means they are going to enforce what has always been the case?

I'm not a fan of the recent changes, but this doesn't really seem like it's a big deal or anything new. Please get excited and upset about the other changes that are more substantial and meaningful that this one.

Yes, this is just an existing law being enforced - in Hua Hin!

I think the Junta is going to start clamping down harder on foreigners.  I get the feeling we are not welcome in the new Thailand.

I've always thought we've never been welcome .

The junta has made it clear they have an agenda to control criminal activity, if you are doing nothing wrong no problem. However if you are up to no good you need to be concerned, so what are all you posters of negative comments afraid of?

I travel all over the country and stay with friends, I do not wish to report to the local immigration or police every time I move.

• Like 2

Damn.  This was like when I was in the old Soviet Union and East Germany. Exactly. And I thought it was Communist oppression especially when going to another sector (province). This screws up the simple three day weekend ... doesn't it?

My local Immigration office, Kanchanaburi, told me some while ago, that I should carry some form of photo ID with me at all times but that it need not be a passport and that a drivers licence was sufficient.
Seems that once again this is nothing new just the enforcing of existing rules.

I have always carried my US retired military ID.. Been checked at various check points many times has always been accepted ID

Again, for those that still don't comprehend, it isn't the ID requirements, we can all live with that, it is the FM 28 which YOU as a foreigner have to fill out regardless of whether or not hotel etc. fills out FM 30 or not. And jeez, now we even have one of the "if you aren't doing anything wrong you have nothing to fear" crowd on here. Brother talk about not knowing nothing about anything.
  • Like 1

What's happening with Hua Hin these days?

Last week drove from BKK to HH, and passed 4 police check points between Paktor and HH.

On the way back to BKK, no check points at all (perhaps because it was raining).

Again, for those that still don't comprehend, it isn't the ID requirements, we can all live with that, it is the FM 28 which YOU as a foreigner have to fill out regardless of whether or not hotel etc. fills out FM 30 or not. And jeez, now we even have one of the "if you aren't doing anything wrong you have nothing to fear" crowd on here. Brother talk about not knowing nothing about anything.

Absolute rubbish.

Will have no effect on tourists who stay in hotels. Will effect those renting out condos to tourists off the books.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It will if they want to move....or complain.........or just about anything. I get the feeling they've either been talking to China or Myanmar

Absolute rubbish.

i think you'll feel differently when you've personally fallen foul of these rules.

• Like 1

I'm not so sure on this.

Could someone knowledgeable confirm 100% if we still need to fill out a TM 28 form if staying in a hotel which reports your current address online - like nearly all the proper hotels do.

Edited by ukrules

This is not my idea of being free at all. I am starting to regret coming here...and soon will liquidate and take my wallet elsewhere....since that is all they really care about.

First Post and you are going home! It's not that bad here ... give it a try a little longer thumbsup.gif

• Like 1