August 29 - heavy new penalties await visa overstays: Thai Immigration

webfact

When I first started to come to Thailand, I started to hear the mantra of the overstayer. Mate, mate don't worry about that you don't have to worry about that sht, stay as long as you like pay the fine at the airport.

To those who are finding things a little uncomfortable at present good luck. I understand it was all too easy, as people we have an unfortunate habit of sometimes only hearing what we want to hear, particularly when sitting in bars.

• Like 1

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I remember reading about the border guard in Hua Hin a couple days ago stating that it was originally a 2,000 baht fine if you didn't have your passport with you?

I am willing to go without my passport for a 2,000 baht fine, but 20,00 baht??! Dang...that makes me want to carry it always, but I also worry about the safety of carrying my only identification with me at all times that is able to get me back to the US! What if it's stolen and I can't get through immigration and then I'm charged with overstaying? I know it's supposed to be more than 90 days when it becomes an issue, but this is something that could legitimately happen to someone.

Where can we confirm that a copy of the passport is ok to carry? What about a picture of it in a smartphone?

70,000 overstayers in one year. That puts things into perspective somewhat! Good riddance to the beach bum pot head scum bags that give the law abiding visa legal folk a bad name!

I don't think it's the 70,000 that they know about that they're after, it's the ones that they haven't caught

and I'll repeat something I said previously, almost every falang that has been caught here for committing crime has been on overstay - drugs - murder - theft - skimming - paedo's etc, they come to Thailand and hide 

• Like 1

Guys.....Look at the upside for those on the correct visa.....Getting a good spot on a beach is gonna be easy.   No more tourists...   No lining up for baht busses full to the brim.....Taxi drivers begging you to use their service at greatly discounted prices.... You will be treated like a king.....because you may be the only foreigner in Thailand on any given day...   I cant wait....smile.png

• Like 2

Thailand was already embarrassed after the Malaysian Airlines flight after they found two of the passengers were using passports that had been stolen in Thailand. What the hell do think is going to happen when they require all foreigners to carry passports with them at all times? How many more lost and stolen pps will be available for criminals to use.

• Like 1

I think this clarifies yesterday's very unclear message from Hua Hin Immigration and, in regard to producing your passport, is nothing new. The new clarification just says failure to produce a passport, which I read as not having a passport - i.e. the individual is unable to produce a passport because he/she doesn't have one.

I have faith that a decent copy, showing the ID page and visa/extension stamp will be enough for a police check.

Keep dreaming.

Let's calm down. Where is the problem here? Anybody overstaying for more than 60 days does it obviously intentionally thinking that paying 20 K is the better deal and is intentionally showing disrespect to the immigration laws here. It is so easy to stay here for years with valid visas. Do we want to defend 'our right' to exploit the lax immigration practices for eternity?

• Like 1

People keep going on about this big number of 70,000 overstay tourists. I'm pretty sure the gov doesn't care about these as they have paid up and left and that is why they have a number for it. 

if we think for a moment we can see that these new sanctions aren't aimed at these people at all they are all aimed at long term overstays. you have 90 days overstay still without a long ban as long as you don't do something illegal is that such a bad thing.

End of the day the maximum 20,000baht overstay fine is laughable and that is probably why these sanctions have come in.

I feel sorry for all the people that are having problems and i hope that they can sort out their situations

• Like 1

Could Thai visa and all its members not sign a petition to get like a work permit ID card? This could make life for our legal workers so much easier than to loose our original passports...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 2

oneday, on 31 Jul 2014 - 08:42, said:

This country is becoming a police state.  Carrying a passport at all times for an EXPAT is ridiculous especially since many of us have real Thai driver's licenses which are just as good as a passport.  It is definitely time to head home.

How can they check if you have an overstay issue if you show your DL?

• Like 2

I thought I remember reading about the border guard in Hua Hin a couple days ago stating that it was originally a 2,000 baht fine if you didn't have your passport with you?

I am willing to go without my passport for a 2,000 baht fine, but 20,00 baht??! Dang...that makes me want to carry it always, but I also worry about the safety of carrying my only identification with me at all times that is able to get me back to the US! What if it's stolen and I can't get through immigration and then I'm charged with overstaying? I know it's supposed to be more than 90 days when it becomes an issue, but this is something that could legitimately happen to someone.

Where can we confirm that a copy of the passport is ok to carry? What about a picture of it in a smartphone?

Often accepted, but they can insist on the real document. That is what is required.

In before the 29 pages of "but my case is different than the hundreds of others asking about the same thing with the same details as me" posts that are sure to follow.

Of those 70k over-stayers last year (and 30k so far this year) I wonder how many are for over-stays of less than 2-3 days ? TAT claims 26.7 million tourist arrivals in 2013, so 70,000 over-stayers would represent about .0026% of that total (a quarter of 1% of the total). Doesn't seem quite the massive problem requiring draconian measures as it sounded before.

I often overstay 2 or 3. Days and pay fine at airport
Last trip on leaving had good chat and joke with immigration man he say come back soon always like get your 1500 baht

So as I take it then a Farang who retires in Thailand should always carry his or her passport with them even if only crossing street to get food for there condo. Maybe if person is married to a Thai or here on retirement visa not working thus not a threat could be issued at the time they get stamp in passport stating long term stay be issued an an photo ID so they can safe guard there passport. But bring original to do there report. This way they can travel freely within country and spend there baht. So LOS remains LOS and not LOSS= Land of Stupid , Well you get the point.

70,000 overstayers in one year. That puts things into perspective somewhat! Good riddance to the beach bum pot head scum bags that give the law abiding visa legal folk a bad name!

YEah.

Law abiding visa legal folk don't need help giving law abiding visa legal folk a bad name.

Yes, this is cynicism. I know plenty of 'legals', PLENTY I SAY, who are complete assholes to Thais and Thailand. 

Maybe one day Thailand will make this an acceptable reason to rid themselves of a few more deadbeats.

20k baht fine if i dont show my passport or 2 years in jail? do they want tourists to come to thailand? also read something about if you come here and first u stay in bangkok and u write the adress in bkk on the arrival card if u want to go to another city you have to go to an immigration office and fill out a form? ridiculous usually i come to bkk then go to my partners house in ubon then go to phuket or samui or whereever then back to bkk before leaving that means id have to visit an immigration office 3 or 4 times? lol

Surely you can put both Bangkok and Udon on the card?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

There is no 20,000 baht fine or 2 year in jail regulation. What is quoted is the rule regarding ovrstay, which is punishable with a fine of up to 20,000 baht and/or a jailterm of up to two years.

Failure to carry a passport is reason to hold someone to establish his/her identity and determine ones status in the country, according to the immigration Act. That is a right immigration has.and also the reason they do not have to accept a drivers licence or such and can insist on a passport in case of a foreigner.

There is a general requiremnt for an ID, but i understand you must be able to produce it within a reasonable time and than no fine will be levied.

Well maybe you should pass all of you sage knowledge on to the other moderator Maestro who yesterday posted in the Ask the Lawyer thread seeking clarification regarding the regulations and penalties surrounding this issue.

Hey Thai visa, why don't you start sending immigration policy-makers OUR stand on these ridiculous policies and their police state mentality. Stop sending us negative news all the time. I think most of us have had enough of it. Passport this and passport that...I'll stay as long as I want, end of story.

• Like 1

Exceeding one's permit to stay in the kingdom for more than 90 days is just snubbing one's nose at the law and the authorities. A 10 year ban for such actions is inadequate. Life long blacklisting would be much more fitting for these unsavouries.

Soft. 

In my day, we'd have made them all fight to the death for a single passport to the home country.

and even then

• Like 1

oneday, on 31 Jul 2014 - 08:42, said:

This country is becoming a police state.  Carrying a passport at all times for an EXPAT is ridiculous especially since many of us have real Thai driver's licenses which are just as good as a passport.  It is definitely time to head home.

How can they check if you have an overstay issue if you show your DL?

Show them nothing and move on your way.Why are you even questioning this?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In before the 29 pages of "but my case is different than the hundreds of others asking about the same thing with the same details as me" posts that are sure to follow.

Of those 70k over-stayers last year (and 30k so far this year) I wonder how many are for over-stays of less than 2-3 days ? TAT claims 26.7 million tourist arrivals in 2013, so 70,000 over-stayers would represent about .0026% of that total (a quarter of 1% of the total). Doesn't seem quite the massive problem requiring draconian measures as it sounded before.

It appears to be the percentage of the percentage who are working illegally or blatantly disregarding the need for a valid visa that are causing the problem

In the past 32 years I have been in Thailand, these crackdowns come and go. I have hardly ever carried my passport with me during that time as it is impractical. There is the problem of damage to it if you keep it in your pocket due to humidity, rain and then there is Songkran. I have Thai driving licence with my photo and passport number. On the few occasions I have been asked for I.D. by police, I offer to produce my passport at the police station but have never been asked to do so. I carry just a photocopy just in case. I am not going to carry my passport at all times and am sure from previous experience that I will not have a problem provided I can produce my passport within 24hours at a local police station.

Edited by Estrada
  • Like 2

There have been countless posts on this site the last year regarding "quality" tourists.

N'est pas?

Now the government are doing something about it. Nothing but complaints.

Fickle lot you are.

ke

There is no 20,000 baht fine or 2 year in jail regulation. What is quoted is the rule regarding ovrstay, which is punishable with a fine of up to 20,000 baht and/or a jailterm of up to two years.

Failure to carry a passport is reason to hold someone to establish his/her identity and determine ones status in the country, according to the immigration Act. That is a right immigration has.and also the reason they do not have to accept a drivers licence or such and can insist on a passport in case of a foreigner.

There is a general requiremnt for an ID, but i understand you must be able to produce it within a reasonable time and than no fine will be levied.

Well maybe you should pass all of you sage knowledge on to the other moderator Maestro who yesterday posted in the Ask the Lawyer thread seeking clarification regarding the regulations and penalties surrounding this issue.

WTF are you guys going on about? This is not a police state and you have no reason to show anything to anyone, unless you are engaged in something questionable.Fines? Punishable? Levied? Someone likes living in obedient servitude.

Yes, I realize that the laxity of immigration law enforcement has created much of the appeal for people to retire to Thailand.  But that laxity was always built around the principle of flexibility.  It wasn't that you were supposed to ignore the law entirely and get away with it but that you could take your time in getting things done.  Why has that changed?  Seems to me that the citizens of certain European nations decided that they could come to Thailand and act and behave in any way they want, thumbing their nose at Thai laws, customs, and traditions.  Eventually, the Thais had enough of it and have now decided to clean house.  One nation in particular has all but dumped its under-pensioned retirees on Thailand's already wafer thin social welfare net.  Another nation has seen fit to create mafia state no-go areas in certain parts of Thailand.  Those people need to be gotten rid of, sent back home.  This overstay crackdown is the most effective way of doing it.