Thailand not a haven for foreign criminals

webfact

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what everybody else thinks but personally I am very very happy about the recent moves by Thai authorities to get rid of the foreign scum in this country. 

Visa runs are an abuse of the immigration system. You want to stay here? Get a non-immigrant visa. You want to work? Get a work permit. 

It's too hard? Go somewhere else. You don't have any other skills than your ability to speak English? Tough luck.

As for criminal scumbags, we can only welcome Thailand's decision to crack down hard on them.

I hope the ED visas are next. What a scam. You think you can bypass immigration laws by paying a corrupt cop to procure you an Education visa? Those days are coming to an end. 

Thailand will do just fine without you.

Are you sure you have obeyed ALL the immigration laws yourself?  I hope you have been reporting to immigration every time you leave your province, if you have not YOU have been breaking immigration law, so to quote you "Thailand will do just fine without you" 5 5 5

• Like 1

What they mean is they would prefer people not think that Thailand is a haven for criminals. Like everything else in the Land of Smile, the reality is other.

It is normally the 1st place to look if you are after a crook on the run.thumbsup.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Last year using information I found on TVF, Google and Bing I cobbled together an estimate ('guestimate') of the number of Westerner foreigners who live in Thailand.  The number I came up with was around 550,000.  Add to that another 100,000 to 150,000 'other'  (Asian, African, assorted islanders, etc.) and my 'guestimate' comes to 650,000 to 750,000 foreigners who are living permanently or semi-permanently in Thailand.  

If my numbers are anywhere near correct, then the few hundred hard core criminal types who stay here is not such a horrible figure compared to the total.   And - especially not so bad when compared to the total numbers of tourists who arrive weekly.

Note: I do not pretend my estimates are without flaw.  And I do not recall the sources - I would have to do the searches all over again.  But - I would sincerely like to see better estimates if anyone has them.  The Thai Government has them - but I do not believe they are published ... that would be helpful if they were of course.   Such an accurate number would be useful in comparing the impact of foreigners living in Thailand to the total population of 65 million or so of Thai Citizens on any given subject.   Plus such an accurate figure would be helpful in discussing Thai Immigration policy. 

Cannot help thinking that if 550.000 ppl each have to have an income of 65.000 THB per month (required by immigration to obtain eg. a retirement visa) that would amount to 429.000.000.000 THB per year. Of course not all 550.000 are retired, but these figures are staggering. 

What a boost to Thai economy.

Guesstimate:  10% of the aforementioned foreigners are retired, that would mean THB 42.900.000.000 in foreign currency per year. 

+ all the fees for visas, re-entry permits etc... 

This amount buys us no rights whatsoever in Thailand. Most of us have to come crawling to immigration every year to renew visa and re-entry permits. That little package costs 5700 per person, which translates into 313.500.000 THB.

No wonder Thailand does not publish any figures as to how many foreigners reside in Thailand, and how many of these pay how much.

The figures are out there somewhere.

Then you have to factor in  the number of expats here who are legally working and paying taxes, many on international salaries, then the figure really start to increase. We still have to report every 90 days though no leeway give none expected.

Last year using information I found on TVF, Google and Bing I cobbled together an estimate ('guestimate') of the number of Westerner foreigners who live in Thailand.  The number I came up with was around 550,000.  Add to that another 100,000 to 150,000 'other'  (Asian, African, assorted islanders, etc.) and my 'guestimate' comes to 650,000 to 750,000 foreigners who are living permanently or semi-permanently in Thailand.  

If my numbers are anywhere near correct, then the few hundred hard core criminal types who stay here is not such a horrible figure compared to the total.   And - especially not so bad when compared to the total numbers of tourists who arrive weekly.

Note: I do not pretend my estimates are without flaw.  And I do not recall the sources - I would have to do the searches all over again.  But - I would sincerely like to see better estimates if anyone has them.  The Thai Government has them - but I do not believe they are published ... that would be helpful if they were of course.   Such an accurate number would be useful in comparing the impact of foreigners living in Thailand to the total population of 65 million or so of Thai Citizens on any given subject.   Plus such an accurate figure would be helpful in discussing Thai Immigration policy. 

Cannot help thinking that if 550.000 ppl each have to have an income of 65.000 THB per month (required by immigration to obtain eg. a retirement visa) that would amount to 429.000.000.000 THB per year. Of course not all 550.000 are retired, but these figures are staggering. 

What a boost to Thai economy.

Guesstimate:  10% of the aforementioned foreigners are retired, that would mean THB 42.900.000.000 in foreign currency per year. 

+ all the fees for visas, re-entry permits etc... 

This amount buys us no rights whatsoever in Thailand. Most of us have to come crawling to immigration every year to renew visa and re-entry permits. That little package costs 5700 per person, which translates into 313.500.000 THB.

No wonder Thailand does not publish any figures as to how many foreigners reside in Thailand, and how many of these pay how much.

The figures are out there somewhere.

And if i may add , if each of the the 550,000 spent 10,000 THB per week on living expenses , food, beer, electric, True vision,company, fuel,car loan, bike loan, happy hours, etc etc you can add another 286,000 000,000 to the economy.. I wonder,, I wonder,, I wonder,,,coffee1.gif

Edited by Dublin

Maybe if the Immigration Dept used the Interpol list as a check on incoming "visitors" they might reduce the numbers. The other list they might want to integrate all the immigration systems not have them as stand alone computers, and check passport numbers against the lists of known stolen passports. This would take a little bit of IT understanding and would remove the discretion of the individual at the border.

As a matter of fact, I have IT and fiber optic knowledge and would love to come help, and an EX visa for three years would fit my pistol.  The US is too expensive, I cannot afford the luxury of living here anymore.  I mean, I am doing it, but I know too much to be comfortable with having my pocket picked each and every week.

It would be nice to have real accurate number of Western Expats and other foreigners here in Thailand... Then broken down by category of Visa / Extension of stay, etc.... retired, married, business visa and so forth.  Then apply a reasonable estimate of living expenditures, child education expenses, periodic immigration fees paid out,  etc. etc. etc.   What a number that would be all totaled ... 

Surely the place to catch the foreign criminals is at passport control when they come in ?. I can't imagine for one minute a cop at a checkpoint will recognise one. So that leaves overstayers. Overstayers will leave their passport at home and risk the 2,000 baht fine. So that leaves nobody ???. In summary, the effect of the policy will be to collect 2,000 baht from every farang who decides to leave his passport safe in his house instead of loose in his flimsy hot-weather clothing. The opportunities for theft will skyrocket if every drunk in a bar has his floating around. Not to mention losing the visa slip which hangs out the edges of the passport. So I wonder how they think this policy will improve things ?.

A copy of the passport including the exit date would be a much better alternative. However I have noticed over the years that Thais have a very peculiar logic.

So, we kicked out all the backpackers. Got rid of the tourist visa runners. The Chinese that we so lovingly courted didn't come as expected, and spent nothing when they did come. High end farang tourists still prefer Europe and the Carribean. Let's face it, what a cock-up.

I suggest Thailand takes whatever tourists that still wash up here, and be very grateful for them. Whether they be foreign criminals or not. The luxury of choosing classes of visitor have long gone, blown by years of incompetence at TAT and immigration, and xenophobic govt policy at large.

tERRIBLE POST

Being soft with criminals would make more criminals come up from the floorboards,and back packers are welcome if the abide to the rules

Surely the place to catch the foreign criminals is at passport control when they come in ?. I can't imagine for one minute a cop at a checkpoint will recognise one. So that leaves overstayers. Overstayers will leave their passport at home and risk the 2,000 baht fine. So that leaves nobody ???. In summary, the effect of the policy will be to collect 2,000 baht from every farang who decides to leave his passport safe in his house instead of loose in his flimsy hot-weather clothing. The opportunities for theft will skyrocket if every drunk in a bar has his floating around. Not to mention losing the visa slip which hangs out the edges of the passport. So I wonder how they think this policy will improve things ?.

A copy of the passport including the exit date would be a much better alternative. However I have noticed over the years that Thais have a very peculiar logic.

You dont think a ticket will be given to report to cop shop with original passport????

Not sure what everybody else thinks but personally I am very very happy about the recent moves by Thai authorities to get rid of the foreign scum in this country. 

Visa runs are an abuse of the immigration system. You want to stay here? Get a non-immigrant visa. You want to work? Get a work permit. 

It's too hard? Go somewhere else. You don't have any other skills than your ability to speak English? Tough luck.

As for criminal scumbags, we can only welcome Thailand's decision to crack down hard on them.

I hope the ED visas are next. What a scam. You think you can bypass immigration laws by paying a corrupt cop to procure you an Education visa? Those days are coming to an end. 

Thailand will do just fine without you.

Another TV (self) righteous tough guy. You guys should form a posse.

• Like 1

So, we kicked out all the backpackers. Got rid of the tourist visa runners. The Chinese that we so lovingly courted didn't come as expected, and spent nothing when they did come. High end farang tourists still prefer Europe and the Carribean. Let's face it, what a cock-up.

I suggest Thailand takes whatever tourists that still wash up here, and be very grateful for them. Whether they be foreign criminals or not. The luxury of choosing classes of visitor have long gone, blown by years of incompetence at TAT and immigration, and xenophobic govt policy at large.

???? Are you on drugs mate? Or are you one of the crims? Crimnals are not tourists, they are usually very dangerous people and I don't like having dangerous people around. The only thing wrong is that this scum somehow elude capture for a long time
  • Like 1

???? Are you on drugs mate? Or are you one of the crims? Crimnals are not tourists, they are usually very dangerous people and I don't like having dangerous people around. The only thing wrong is that this scum somehow elude capture for a long time

Did you even read the opening post? One of the lads they arrested to great fanfare had sold copyrighted goods, another was a pot farmer, living in Samui with his wife and children. Dangerous criminals? Give it a break.

If foreigners break the law in Thailand it is a different matter entirely, but people wanted in far away lands for minor crimes is not Thailand's concern.

If you live in Pattaya you will probably never see a farang criminal......they all live in Hua Hin, Koh Samui and Pooket.   biggrin.png

Strange...

I live in Samui and was convince having never see a farang criminal...that they all live in Pattaya, Hua Hin and Pucket.  tongue.png  

tERRIBLE POST

Being soft with criminals would make more criminals come up from the floorboards,and back packers are welcome if the abide to the rules

Bernard, some consistency from you would be appreciated. You show disapproval of foreign minor criminals, and yet are clearly obsessed with having a mass murdering criminal that wins top trumps in every category from body count, amount stolen, damage dividing the country through his PR etc etc to be chief of a hereditary dictatorship in Thailand. In terms of logic, it doesn't add up.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Of course there is no need or wanting of ''foreign criminals'' here in Thailand .Thailand has an ample nay oversupply of its own homegrown criminals ranging from politicians, the  law keeping (?) organisations and the public service sector in general, and of course we need to  remember the  non administrative sector too, loan sharks.  con men, pimps etc.

The competition is intense thus there has to be a weeding out of the more serious and better mis educted, misguided criminal fraternity in order that the home grown produce can dominate the local criminal activity market.

"pimps"?

Are you implying prostitution?

I don't know where you get your information but, I have not read one syllable about that from the junta...

giggle.gif

You dont think a ticket will be given to report to cop shop with original passport????

Of course yes!  whistling.gif pffff

i agree. its one thing to have a criminal past. its another thing to be a wanted fugitive. i just hope i dont get deported because of my unpaid parking tickets back home.   but. ... the past WILL catch up sooner or later.  better pay those tickets. 

An interesting news item when taken in the context of thr blizzard of new (?) or previously unenforcrd regulations against ALL foreigners visitiing or residing in the Kingdom. The implication here is that all foreigners are criminals on the run, thereby encoursging the authorities to take xenophobic action against all foreigners. TV posters who applaud these actions cannot
connect the dots, I am afraid, or live in a state of denial regarding Thai xenophobia.

Personally, as a law-abiding citizen who has made a significant contribution to the Thai economy over the past decade with
income derived from very respectable legal endeavors, I must say I find thr currrent attitude of the Thai authorities towards foreigners highly offensive. It seems that the ex-pat community is being made a scapegpat for the international lack of
" understanding" for recent political developmentts, and that is a sad,but all top predictable development.

I know I am not alone when I say I am taking my business elsewhere. Life is too short!

Totally agree with you on this, yes foreign criminals should be arrested and deported or stopped at immigration before they enter the country but this news release is just vilifying foreigners in general. It will be interesting to see which previously unenforced laws they implement next, buildings owned in company names would be my bet as Thai's believe it's the evil foreigner that is driving up house prices.

Sent from my iPidgeon using a note tied to it's leg and wings app

No sane government or authority would give Thailand access to their records! 

Thailand has laws prohibiting serious criminals from even visiting but as usual it's pay for play.

"I know I am not alone when I say I am taking my business elsewhere"---bunel

No you are not alone in saying it bunel---on Thai-Visa & in Bars.........actually doing it..........well that's a little different............coffee1.gif

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 1

Don't forget the 2 years in prison for not carrying your Picture ID or Passport that new tourists may not know about. Or reporting to immigration within 24-hours. I still Love Thailand but they sure haven't been very Tourist Friendly lately.

What comes next? That should be obvious! A crack down on all those people who bought property Illegally by setting up a fake company first. Once they begin to enforce that this should send property prices into a real tail spin with every scared rabbit trying to bail out. Also set up an exodus for these people leaving. Surely, if you broke some law you won't be allowed to stay. Also maybe an investigation as to where the Thai Wife got all this money to buy her own house.

Interesting to see what comes next. Like waiting for the next shoe to fall. That might determine if I stay or leave. But at least I won't be leaving behind a condo or house as I never did feel secure in Property Ownership here.   .

Of course there is no need or wanting of ''foreign criminals'' here in Thailand .Thailand has an ample nay oversupply of its own homegrown criminals ranging from politicians, the  law keeping (?) organisations and the public service sector in general, and of course we need to  remember the  non administrative sector too, loan sharks.  con men, pimps etc.

The competition is intense thus there has to be a weeding out of the more serious and better mis educted, misguided criminal fraternity in order that the home grown produce can dominate the local criminal activity market.

Yah! Sorta like preventing the Bar Owner from making Visa Runs so now he can't clean a table in his own bar.

So, we kicked out all the backpackers. 

Please explain, who is "we"? Unless you hold a Thai passport I would imagine you like me are a guest in the Kingdom of Thailand and really don't have a say in the matter. Suggesting Thailand excepts criminals is pretty irresponsible don't you think. It's people with this kind of attitude which there are thousands of in Thailand are what the authorities need to get rid of. For some reason most people with attributes as shown above seem to come from one small island in Europe. 

In Sweden they get a lot of different contributions as well from the Swedish state at the same time being criminal. Can it be better for them? Don´t think so... And the punishment (if they get cought) is a joke.

Edited by Captor