My friend almost denied entry at Suvarnabhum yesterday with Non Imm ED visa.

If you actually read the thread from the very beginning  we are talking about an intermediate English class , not Thai .  

You can learn any language that the schools in Thailand  offer, but since immigration do not understand and always ask if you speak Thai , you need to bring a letter from the school explaining the situation .   Just to clarify , this is for non native English speakers .  

The system is now being tough.
Do you realise the hardship it would take for a thai person to get into the uk or eu
But europeans think they have the right to come and go out of thailand with the flimsiest reasons.
Why does your friend not speak 1 word of thai?

Sawasdee = hello
Laa gon = goodbye
Ngern = money
Soi = alley/small road/pathway
Hong = hotel room/apartment
Nam = water
Aahaan thai = thai food
Poo ying = woman
Baht = thai currency
Chowpbing = shopping
Wan yut = holiday/vacation
Deum = drink
Teewee = television
Toh = telephone
Proong nee = tomorrow
wan nee = today
Wan jan = Monday
wan ang kaan = Tuesday
Wan puot = Wednesday
Pa-re u-hat-sa-bor-dee = Thursday
Wan suk = Friday
Wan tee = Saturday
Wan aa-ti t = Sunday
Friend = peuan
Rot-yon = car
Dtam-ruat = police
Raan aa-ha an = restaurant
Kaao = rice
Early = yen
Saai = late
Wit-gee = whiskey
Boo ree = cigarette
Jaai = PAY
Ga roo naa = please
Kop koon = thank you
Rohng raem = hotel/motel/hostel

Its quite easy if you try!
Tell your friend to stop taking the piss

Laa gon!

Edited by balo

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's those that are BELATEDLY trying to 'get legal' that are getting the shaft. The ones with a 'prior history' in Thailand that is evident in their passport. If you have a passport chock full of previous visa exempt entries and you suddenly turn up with a shiny new LOCALLY ISSUED Tourist visa... and you have no checked baggage... and you have your car already sitting in the airport parking... and a Thai credit card. I mean if YOU were the Immigration grunt, what would YOU think?

I would say welcome unless my boss had given me an higher quota of "prom-plems" for the day.

Early = yen

That doesn't sound right to me. At best that means early evening, not early. If it's early (in the day) then it'd be chaao, said with a high tone, if it's early as in "you're early" then nern, said with a falling tone. 

That'll be 20 baht, cheers. 

• Like 1

My norwegian friend is going to a school in Pattaya that offer English , Chinese and Thai courses. He choose English advanced to improve on his english skills . He never overstayed and his passport shows the correct re-entry stamp. His ED visa is valid until January. When he came back after a vacation in Europe yesterday, the immigration started questioning him. They spent several minutes looking through every page of his passport and then several times asked him: do you speak Thai ? Why you go to school in Thailand if you do not speak a word Thai ? My friend explained to them very slowly that he learns English in Pattaya. And English is not his native language. He finally had to give them the name of the school, and even telephone numbers for them to contact the school.

This whole questioning took about 20 minutes before they let him through. He is a bit upset now because he had all his documents in order, and never experienced anything like this before. So be warned, and bring all the documents from the school with you.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

To be honest, what's wrong with an immigration officer asking questions of an arriving traveller? While I agree that travellers should not be hassled, people are getting all jittery because Thai immigration is now actually doing the same sorts of things, asking the same sorts of questions that say Australian or US immigration ask of foreigners, including those on student visas.

Simply asking where you are studying, etc. and even verifying your enrolment details if you're a student is NOT a problem, and does NOT mean that the OP's friend was nearly denied. It simply means they were doing their job. Since they were able to prove he was telling the truth, he got through. The only reason to be concerned is if you are NOT genuine i.e. you signed up for a class but don't actually attend.

My only concern is if some immigration officers believe an ED visa can only be used for studying Thai or perhaps university studies. That's perhaps another reason they picked up this guy for scrutiny. Genuine students studying Thai, who actually attend classes or have managed to learn Thai some other way should have no problems answering questions in Thai.

While I have never been a student of Thai language in Thailand, officially through a locally based school anyway, I managed to learn to speak, read and write the language fluently through taking classes back home and a private tutor in Thailand, as well as a lot of self-based study. I am always delighted to have an immigration officer speak to me in Thai without me first having to tell him or her that I can speak Thai. Either way, the treatment I receive is usually instantly much better than that given towards a non-Thai speaker in my experience. And yes, even at Suvarnabhumi, where most officers can be pretty surly.

"I am always delighted to have an immigration officer speak to me in Thai without me first having to tell him or her that I can speak Thai. Either way, the treatment I receive is usually instantly much better than that given towards a non-Thai speaker in my experience"

What exactly is this special treatment that you get?

Each time I arrive in Thailand I go to the immigration desk, smile, say hello, give them my passport and they stamp it and give it me back. What extra do you get?

In 30 years I've never had an immigration officer ask me if I can speak Thai, the vast majority of them never speak a word to me, they just do their job.

That's because you didn't open your mouth or spoke English to them if they asked you anything. Yes, I have received nice treatment, including light-hearted jokes and would easily be able to alleviate any concerns they may have, if they questioned me, on my purpose of entry to Thailand because I would be able to explain everything in detail, in Thai. Since I wouldn't expect an immigration officer in Thailand to speak fluent English (or in any case, a foreigner who can speak Thai is usually something which delights the locals) I feel that I have been given better treatment than those times where the officer just stamped my passport and didn't say a word to me, or from my observations where they have quizzed other foreigners who obviously didn't speak the language.

To be honest, what's wrong with an immigration officer asking questions of an arriving traveller? While I agree that travellers should not be hassled, people are getting all jittery because Thai immigration is now actually doing the same sorts of things, asking the same sorts of questions that say Australian or US immigration ask of foreigners, including those on student visas.

Simply asking where you are studying, etc. and even verifying your enrolment details if you're a student is NOT a problem, and does NOT mean that the OP's friend was nearly denied. It simply means they were doing their job. Since they were able to prove he was telling the truth, he got through. The only reason to be concerned is if you are NOT genuine i.e. you signed up for a class but don't actually attend.

My only concern is if some immigration officers believe an ED visa can only be used for studying Thai or perhaps university studies. That's perhaps another reason they picked up this guy for scrutiny. Genuine students studying Thai, who actually attend classes or have managed to learn Thai some other way should have no problems answering questions in Thai.

While I have never been a student of Thai language in Thailand, officially through a locally based school anyway, I managed to learn to speak, read and write the language fluently through taking classes back home and a private tutor in Thailand, as well as a lot of self-based study. I am always delighted to have an immigration officer speak to me in Thai without me first having to tell him or her that I can speak Thai. Either way, the treatment I receive is usually instantly much better than that given towards a non-Thai speaker in my experience. And yes, even at Suvarnabhumi, where most officers can be pretty surly.

"I am always delighted to have an immigration officer speak to me in Thai without me first having to tell him or her that I can speak Thai. Either way, the treatment I receive is usually instantly much better than that given towards a non-Thai speaker in my experience"

What exactly is this special treatment that you get?

Each time I arrive in Thailand I go to the immigration desk, smile, say hello, give them my passport and they stamp it and give it me back. What extra do you get?

In 30 years I've never had an immigration officer ask me if I can speak Thai, the vast majority of them never speak a word to me, they just do their job.

That's because you didn't open your mouth or spoke English to them if they asked you anything. Yes, I have received nice treatment, including light-hearted jokes and would easily be able to alleviate any concerns they may have, if they questioned me, on my purpose of entry to Thailand because I would be able to explain everything in detail, in Thai. Since I wouldn't expect an immigration officer in Thailand to speak fluent English (or in any case, a foreigner who can speak Thai is usually something which delights the locals) I feel that I have been given better treatment than those times where the officer just stamped my passport and didn't say a word to me, or from my observations where they have quizzed other foreigners who obviously didn't speak the language.

That was very nice for you, but, at an 'international gateway' of a country which professes to be a tourist hub / magnet, whilst making pretences at being the heart of ASEAN, the lingua franca is not Thai.

Another factor might be how long he was outside of Thailand, after all he is suposed to study.

He was outside Thailand for 6 weeks. What I don't understand is why the immigration people ask if you speak Thai when there's hundreds of different ED courses available. Not only languages but you can study art. culture. muay thai etc.
When you do have a valid visa they should just accept it and understand that not everyone on a ED visa wants to learn Thai.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Probably they need to show to their superior that they are doing a great job, sometimes I feel that they are strong at the beginning like they are testing you, later they change the mood to just the relax and friendly Thai.

And probably they think that everyone should speak thai if want to stay a long time, usually every person will expect the same with long stays in any country, and is a good symbol of respect to any culture, and is such an annoying thing like in Germany with the Turkish that live almost free from the state and have no intention to learn German and sometimes with a bad English so what really they are doing in Germany? my Thai is very basic but I can drop some funny sentences, that help a lot in many situations.

Another thing Thai people are never strict with the rules, just be patient respectful and answer everything simple and slow, some countries have very bad ass Immigration officers maybe many of you not have that bad experiences since many come from Europe.

Another factor might be how long he was outside of Thailand, after all he is suposed to study.

He was outside Thailand for 6 weeks. What I don't understand is why the immigration people ask if you speak Thai when there's hundreds of different ED courses available. Not only languages but you can study art. culture. muay thai etc.
When you do have a valid visa they should just accept it and understand that not everyone on a ED visa wants to learn Thai.

Maybe I need my late-night cup of coffee, but it does seem a little strange to me to come to Thailand to learn English (esp. given the stories going around about the questionable qualifications of some of the teachers). I mean, it would be like going to Australia to just to learn Thai.

Maybe I need my late-night cup of coffee, but it does seem a little strange to me to come to Thailand to learn English (esp. given the stories going around about the questionable qualifications of some of the teachers). I mean, it would be like going to Australia to just to learn Thai.

Don't believe everything you read. There are plenty of competent English teachers who can teach non-English speakers English.

Sent from my GT-S7270L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Don't believe everything you read. There are plenty of competent English teachers who can teach non-English speakers English.

That's why I italicised the word, 'some'. But that doesn't change the fact that it seems a little 'odd' to go to a (very) non-English speaking country to learn English rather than the dominant language there. It will understandably raise questions as to what the person's real motives are: studying or 'holidaying' (i.e., if you want to learn English, one might be better served  by going to an English-speaking country where one would be surrounded by English).

That's why I italicised the word, 'some'. But that doesn't change the fact that it seems a little 'odd' to go to a (very) non-English speaking country to learn English rather than the dominant language there. It will understandably raise questions as to what the person's real motives are: studying or 'holidaying' (i.e., if you want to learn English, one might be better served  by going to an English-speaking country where one would be surrounded by English).

Ed Visas are not only issued to those with a strong motive in learning the subject.  There's nothing wrong with studying in Thailand because of the weather, food, beaches, culture or the girls - as long as you attend class and study!
  • Like 2

I've been learning Thai for over a year and I couldn't respond to questions if they talked too fast. It takes 10-15 years to learn to speak a language fluently for most adults.

@pokerspiv, on 04 Aug 2014 - 20:14 said

"It takes 10-15 years to learn to speak a language fluently for most adults"

and - mind you - that even goes for one's native language more than ever before...

Edited by thurien

Probably a daft question, but why Thailand, never mind Pattaya, in order to learn English?

Exactly the point I made earlier (and which seems to have been vaporised)! To me it makes perfect sense that an immigration officer would question someone's motives for learning English in a non-English speaking country. I think we'd all be on the same side on this if we read about a Norwegian (for example) going to China (for example) to learn English. Obviously, you make better progress in your learning if you go somewhere where you can be immersed in the language. We call such places 'English-speaking countries'...

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Probably a daft question, but why Thailand, never mind Pattaya, in order to learn English?

Exactly the point I made earlier (and which seems to have been vaporised)! To me it makes perfect sense that an immigration officer would question someone's motives for learning English in a non-English speaking country. I think we'd all be on the same side on this if we read about a Norwegian (for example) going to China (for example) to learn English. Obviously, you make better progress in your learning if you go somewhere where you can be immersed in the language. We call such places 'English-speaking countries'...

You can learn English , the univeral language , anywhere in the world .   And Thai schools do offer a lot of variety for people that wants to study different languages or do other studies.   

So this is completely legal , the school provides you with all the paperwork.   English or Thai should not matter. 

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

For most people who study abroad, the motive is doing what they were going to be doing anyway, except in a more fun location. And nobody has a problem with that, apparently apart from bitter Thaivisa residents who think Ed Visas shouldn't exist.

• Like 2

For most people who study abroad, the motive is doing what they were going to be doing anyway, except in a more fun location. And nobody has a problem with that, apparently apart from bitter Thaivisa residents who think Ed Visas shouldn't exist.

When a 'student' chooses a 'fun location' not conducive to learning (in their chosen field of study) and not known for its quality of education (in their chose field of study), then one can only infer that fun is taking a priority over learning and perhaps is the only motive at play. To recognise this does not require 'bitterness'. And it should not be surprising that it attracts the scrutiny of immigration officials or other authorities who would want Ed Visas to be used for legitimate purposes. I would have loved to have done my education in Tahiti, but that's not how the world works (in most places ... medical schools in the Caribbean excepted). 

• Like 1

When a 'student' chooses a 'fun location' not conducive to learning (in their chosen field of study) and not known for its quality of education (in their chose field of study), then one can only infer that fun is taking a priority over learning and perhaps is the only motive at play. To recognise this does not require 'bitterness'. 

It does when you furthermore use that to argue that Ed Visas should not exist. People study abroad in every country in the world, because it's a fun change of pace from studying in your own country. In no other country do bitter old retirees complain about it.

• Like 1

When a 'student' chooses a 'fun location' not conducive to learning (in their chosen field of study) and not known for its quality of education (in their chose field of study), then one can only infer that fun is taking a priority over learning and perhaps is the only motive at play. To recognise this does not require 'bitterness'. And it should not be surprising that it attracts the scrutiny of immigration officials or other authorities who would want Ed Visas to be used for legitimate purposes. I would have loved to have done my education in Tahiti, but that's not how the world works (in most places ... medical schools in the Caribbean excepted).

So studying in a country where you can have fun makes the studying illegitimate?
  • Like 1

So studying in a country where you can have fun makes the studying illegitimate?

That's clearly not what I'm saying. My point is this.

1. Sure, go ahead and study in a 'fun place'
  2. But if you do so, choose a course of study that make sense there. Don't go to Goa to learn how to cook French cuisine. Don't go to Tahiti to study the US legal system. Don't go to Pattaya to study English (unless you're a Thai). Otherwise, it begs the question about one's priorities and real intent.
  3. If you don't heed #2, be prepared that people may question your real reason for the Ed Visa.

Pretty simple, though not as simplistic as you were trying to make out my argument to be.

Although I'm not here studying on ed visa I don't see too big an issue with some foreigners choosing to learn English in Thailand,
say for example a polish man wanting to spend more time with his g/f in Thailand, many of us are aware the thai language isn't the easiest of languages to learn and she's unlikely to learn Polish is she?, so since apart from Thai, English would generally be the common language between them, Added in to the mix he is enhancing the communication between them by learning English and at the same time being allowed to spend more time in country with his g/f,, this is of course assuming he attends his classes,
a previous poster suggested it be wiser to go to a country that is an English speaking country to learn English, this may be so if the intended outcome of the language course was to use it to embark on a profession, but I would imagine this ain't the case for many,
it all boils down to the individual case, and regardless of what thoughts any of us have, immigration have to satisfy their own suspicions

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 1

WHat you're saying is that Thai immigration officials are not allowed to ask a traveller any questions when they arrive, just because in the past that was the usual practice?! 

I was only asked two questions (in English as I was clearly a tourist on my very first visit to the LOS) when I came through in February: "How many boyfriends you have?  You need one more?" cheesy.gif

Hopefully, once I get started in my Thai language classes, I'll at least be able to answer "No boyfriends. One husband." if I'm ever asked that again.

[quote name="Docno" post="8209279" timestamp="1407374601"][quote name="brewsterbudgen" post="8202626" timestamp="1407237584"] [quote name="Docno" post="8202074" timestamp="1407231019"] [quote name="pokerspiv" post="8199132" timestamp="1407180694"] [quote name="Docno" post="8199025" timestamp="1407175019"]Exactly the point I made earlier (and which seems to have been vaporised)! To me it makes perfect sense that an immigration officer would question someone's motives for learning English in a non-English speaking country. I think we'd all be on the same side on this if we read about a Norwegian (for example) going to China (for example) to learn English. Obviously, you make better progress in your learning if you go somewhere where you can be immersed in the language. We call such places 'English-speaking countries'...
 [/quote] 
 [/quote] 
 [/quote]
 [/quote]

That's clearly not what I'm saying. My point is this.
  • Sure, go ahead and study in a 'fun place'
  • But if you do so, choose a course of study that make sense there. Don't go to Goa to learn how to cook French cuisine. Don't go to Tahiti to study the US legal system. Don't go to Pattaya to study English (unless you're a Thai). Otherwise, it begs the question about one's priorities and real intent.
  • If you don't heed #2, be prepared that people may question your real reason for the Ed Visa.
Pretty simple, though not as simplistic as you were trying to make out my argument to be.
 [/quote]

There a plethora of reasons why someone might want to improve their English by studying in Thailand. Your argument is far too simplistic.