My friend almost denied entry at Suvarnabhum yesterday with Non Imm ED visa.

So he's come to Thailand to study English.... whistling.gif

Perhaps a country that has English as its mother tongue might be better. facepalm.gif

Yet is perfectly legal.. 

Legal but look at it from the officer's view. Out of the country for a longtime therefore not attending the school. Learning English in Thailand, not exactly renowned for its English language schools, and missing lessons. He/she was right to check thoroughly. 

The UK has clamped down on education visas and London Metropolitan University and one in North Wales can no longer have foreign students due to anomalies with their overseas students.

This gentleman may well be completely bona fide in his education visa and study diligently. The officer is right to satisfy himself and then having done so allow entry.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And so it goes on.. 

The "just get a real visa" crowd must be starting to feel a little less sure of themselves. 

Retirement visas are next according to a Thai I know at Thai immigration.

Wonder what the 'get rid of the scumbags' crowd are going to say then when they suddenly can't get a retirement visa anymore?

None of this is surprising though. The last time the military junta were in power the Thai economy was disastrous. Same thing happening again.

Sorry to disappoint you but there are no changes to retirement (or marriage) extensions in a new police order coming out soon.

• Like 1

The OP reports that an immigration officer questioned him regarding his visa. Once the officer was satisfied he was allowed to proceed.

Hardly even worth a mention. Except perhaps for the fact the officer expected him to be learning Thai which is a slight worry, but it was resolved...

I fully expect holders of multiple entry non-immigrant visas to be questioned, especially if married and not working.

Apart from PR, the only true right of abode here for a foreigner is a 12 month extension, for marriage, work or retirement. If you cannot earn 40k legally, or place 400k (800k for retirement) in the bank then you are not 'entitled' to live here.

A re-entry permit allows you to breeze through immigration - expect anything else to be questioned if the officer thinks you may be 'living' here.

"Once the officer was satisfied he was allowed to proceed."

Yes, the thread title is a bit misleading.

My friend almost denied entry

Immigrations officials certainly have the right and responsibility to question anyone they feel could be misrepresenting himself one way or another. Someone is either admitted or denied entry. "Almost denied entry" makes about as much sense as saying he was " sort of admitted."  It's pretty much a case of one or the other. Another case of a farang feeling as if being asked some questions by Thai officials amounts to a loss of face.

Edited by Suradit69

And so it goes on.. 

The "just get a real visa" crowd must be starting to feel a little less sure of themselves. 

Thank you!  However, there are always more denials on hand, eventually with "I'll gladly rat out any of my friends if you let me go!"

I find it a bit fishy for non-University schools that offer courses in f.ex. English in Thailand to be able to sponsor a non-imm ED .. I don't think that was the original idea. Creates loopholes for taking up f.ex. yoga classes just to get a a non-imm ED. Wouldn't be surprised if they'll limit the subjects that can be studies or crack down on schools harder. The abuse of the ED is well known and advertised.

Shouldn't this post title read, "farang tourist admitted to Thailand after Immigration authorities ask him some questions"!

But the other thread is one actually denied.. 

That's the other thread, not this one!

What's happened to you of late, you used to know better than this!

The OP reports that an immigration officer questioned him regarding his visa. Once the officer was satisfied he was allowed to proceed.

Hardly even worth a mention. Except perhaps for the fact the officer expected him to be learning Thai which is a slight worry, but it was resolved...

I fully expect holders of multiple entry non-immigrant visas to be questioned, especially if married and not working.

Apart from PR, the only true right of abode here for a foreigner is a 12 month extension, for marriage, work or retirement. If you cannot earn 40k legally, or place 400k (800k for retirement) in the bank then you are not 'entitled' to live here.

A re-entry permit allows you to breeze through immigration - expect anything else to be questioned if the officer thinks you may be 'living' here.

"Once the officer was satisfied he was allowed to proceed."

Yes, the thread title is a bit misleading.

My friend almost denied entry

Immigrations officials certainly have the right and responsibility to question anyone they feel could be misrepresenting himself one way or another. Someone is either admitted or denied entry. "Almost denied entry" makes about as much sense as saying he was " sort of admitted."  It's pretty much a case of one or the other. Another case of a farang feeling as if being asked some questions by Thai officials amounts to a loss of face.

And others reporting they are denied, after getting the right visa. No offense, but please don't discount people's experience. Have you ever been made to feel as afraid as possible for 20 minutes in front of a group of officers, after doing everything you can to do the right thing?  It isn't reassuring, and it matters because it isn't happening out of the blue at this time.  If you've gone to a lot of trouble and great expense to get a visa, and read that others are denied with the right visa, and then are facing that, it's not just 'losing face'.

I can't understand why everyone is saying it is 'illegal' to stay on tourist visas? Then why do they issue triple entry visas that give you the ability to be a tourist for 9 months that have to be used within a certain period of time. If they issue these visas and tell you that you are able to use them how can it be illegal? Do you have to be constantly moving to be a tourist? I've stayed in Thailand for longer as a tourist. I don't work, I am travelling a bit in the country but the majority of the time I stay in one place because I like it. If you are complying with the rules and simply have a visa that the Thai consulate has issued you how are you doing something illegal?

Welcome to Thai visa forum - home of (often) incredibly angry people who hated tourists, and blame every bad thing on them.  Go figure as to why, but get used to being called 'low life', and other endearing terms like that.  It's still a very valuable forum for information.  But it's famous for very hard comments like that.

Edited by John1thru10

ROTFL. There was no 'skirting around the rules'.

I'm a citizen of an EU country so, for me, I can live in any EU country for at least 6 months with no need to do anything. After that, in most countries, I'm required to register and pay taxes.

There you go - you can now return to skirting around the law in your own neck of the woods...

Skirting the law? What? On valid tourist visas, as a tourist, traveling all over Thailand and spending my UK-earned income?

I'll be sure to tell everyone I know when I get back to Europe, DO NOT VISIT THAILAND as apparently tourists are 'skirting the law' in Thailand if they spend more than a couple of days in the country.

If you are truthful you will tell your friends "are living in Thailand for 15 years" - as you claim in numerous other posts.

As a tourist, you can still get 180 days with back to back tourist visas, so exactly what is your problem? If you wish to live here more than that then you have to consider alternative options - if there are none that suit you then...

Edited by ParadiseLost

And so it goes on.. 

Wonder what the 'get rid of the scumbags' crowd are going to say then when they suddenly can't get a retirement visa anymore?

None of this is surprising though. The last time the military junta were in power the Thai economy was disastrous. Same thing happening again.

" ... Retirement visas are next according to a Thai I know at Thai immigration."

This is precisely the sort of unnecessary hearsay that upsets people. We don't need it. You are not even a provincial leader! ... just a smart arse with an authoritarian complex. 

• Like 2

Sorry to disappoint you but there are no changes to retirement (or marriage) extensions in a new police order coming out soon.

Have you read it ?? Is there a summary of what is changing ?? 

Look on the forum for more info tomorrow,

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I can't understand why everyone is saying it is 'illegal' to stay on tourist visas? Then why do they issue triple entry visas that give you the ability to be a tourist for 9 months that have to be used within a certain period of time. If they issue these visas and tell you that you are able to use them how can it be illegal? Do you have to be constantly moving to be a tourist? I've stayed in Thailand for longer as a tourist. I don't work, I am travelling a bit in the country but the majority of the time I stay in one place because I like it. If you are complying with the rules and simply have a visa that the Thai consulate has issued you how are you doing something illegal?

Triple entry visas are the way to go, no probs with that.

Ah cool - but some people on the forum seem to make it sound like people are doing something wrong by using the perfectly legal visas issued by the government of the country.
I am from the uk, and if i wanted a triple entry, i would go back and get from Birmingham or Hull

A. What is the point of your comment? Did I miss when this thread turned into "where to get visa's"
B. Why would you go so far?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Triple entry visas are the way to go, no probs with that.

Ah cool - but some people on the forum seem to make it sound like people are doing something wrong by using the perfectly legal visas issued by the government of the country.
I am from the uk, and if i wanted a triple entry, i would go back and get from Birmingham or Hull

A. What is the point of your comment? Did I miss when this thread turned into "where to get visa's"
B. Why would you go so far?

And so it goes on.. 

The "GET LEGAL" idiots with be culled in one swift swoop when they increase the deposit amount from 800K to 1.5million and require it remain in the Thai Military Bank for full 12 months of the extension.

That's what I'm expecting to see in the next few months. A massive increase in the amount of money needed for a retirement visa, which will eliminate a huge number of people on the ThaiVisa forum.

Personally, I'm glad I'm leaving Thailand over the weekend as it's no longer 'foreigner friendly'. And yes, permanently.

I'm under retirement age so can't get a retirement visa, have no interest in studying Thai or anything else in Thailand, and I have income coming in from a business I own in the UK (around 200,000 baht a month). After I stopped teaching here two years ago when UK business income suddenly went through the roof and I no longer needed to work, I have been living here on and off LEGALLY on tourist visas as I am a tourist (don't work here or anywhere else for that matter).

Now the Thai military junta has decided they don't want people like me and, so obviously, don't want my money either. No problem smile.png I'm moving back to Europe and plan on living various months of the year in Germany and Spain, as I know for sure they have no problem me living in either place 6 months of the year or bringing in my 5,000 euros a month smile.png

Bye bye Thailand. It's been nice, but I don't intend to spend any more of my hard earned money in a country this unfriendly to foreigners.

Have you read it ?? Is there a summary of what is changing ?? 

Look on the forum for more info tomorrow,

This is better than any television show, something new every day blink.png

So, they are coming out with police orders. Meaning there's activity in that department. And since this is an ED thread .. my bet is there.

Edited by DrTuner

"His ED visa is valid until January."

Why are you talking about NON-ED?

You have been chastising people since years but haven't learn the slang yet? Non-immigrant ED. 

I have never seen an ED visa referred to as a NON-ED apart from in this thread.

• Like 1

Today I arrived at bangkom airport. They lady asked me you know you do not have visa anymore because it is expired? I said yes and she stamped for 30 days visa. I think the immigration was right with the norwegian. he was not  refused or visa taken away. I not read that. If a thai person comes to Europe we aske they same questions. Thai person comes to work in Europe they need work permit. Thai people want visa for europe need to show income or money they can live of. What is the differnence exept we still get 30 days any way. Thai people not get when want to go to europe!

Now immigration start being more like immigration officers. I see on other forums complaining how the "Bad" foreigners come in etc or kick those not wanted foreigners out etc.

If you follow the rules nothing changed! as before only it is more time consuming to get a visa for Thailand.

I see no problems for getting visa for Thailand now or in the future.

Our money is still welcome same like as in Spain or Greece or any where else.

• Like 1

Probably a daft question, but why Thailand, never mind Pattaya, in order to learn English?

Well the schools offer English classes , with native English teachers so what's the problem with that ? English is the universal language,  I learned my English at school in Norway,   

I know a lot of Russians are studying English at this school in Pattaya.  So maybe they do it just to stay for a long time in Thailand and at the same time take this opportunity to learn some English , good for them.  

But it's 100% legal , anyone can be a student in Thailand or any other country that offer education visas .

If Thailand don't like it then they should remove ed visas completely and then go back to the stone age. 

Edited by balo

Exactly, this is the question that I have. I am still trying to decide if I would like to retire in Thailand and use it as a base to travel to other countries and enjoy my hard earned retirement. I have no intention of taking up employment, I have visited twice and I do like the country and the people and what it has to offer. But I get this distinct feeling that this is not a very welcoming environment, perhaps because of those who have been gaming the system. 

I just hope that the Thai Immigration brings some clarity to this whole thing. And of course, I will be spending my hard earned money in Thailand, happily I suppose.smile.png

Funny enough when I last studied, we were allowed vacations at Easter, Christmas and summer. Also I believe schools in Thailand have vacation periods like everywhere else. Funny that.

Another factor might be how long he was outside of Thailand, after all he is suposed to study.

by that logic, could we get denied for not looking after wife on non-o supporting spouse re-entry smile.png

A study implies you study, thus not go on long vacations and missing lessons.

Marriage does not imply you continuosly stay with your wife. You migth for example need to travel abroad regularly for work or business so you can provide for your family.

To become a Thai citizen you have to have lived there for 3 years. You have to take a Thai language test and sing the National Anthem.

There are quite a few posters on Thaivisa who actually made the effort and who are now citizens rather than whining about how difficult it was.

Requirements for Thai citizenship are much, much higher than singing the anthem. Don't know why you want to make it seem easy, but it is a laughable attempt, and 3 minutes is all it takes for anyone to learn the truth.

And so it goes on.. 

They may be asking questions of those that are staying here on ED visas and extensions. It is well known by immigration that there is abuse of this type visa and extensions.
It does not mean there is any planned crackdown on other types of visas or extensions of stay.
I agree. Part of the Immigration Officers job is to ask questions and they seem to have been instructed to do their job with more diligence. Good for them.

Those with proper documents may encounter an "inconvenience" answering reasonable questions. Those that fit into other categories may have more than an inconvenience waiting for them.

The OPs thread title confused me. I didn't read anything that supports "almost denied entry". He was asked questions and supplied additional information. Edited by Benmart

in 2013 I went back to my home country for a month to see my folks

I was on an ED visa, I went to school and so forth

I was also singled out at immigration I watched everyone go through

then he looked at my passport asked me what I was doing I said going to school in Thailand

I answered some of his question in Thai, he asked me if I was also working and teaching I said no which was true

he got upset when I could not produce the exact address to the school I was going to

we went bakc and forth I would say about 20 min, i thought I wasnt gettign in and then he just stamped it and let me in

was stressful after a 28 hour flight when i was legit

might be smart to have your school info, numbers, why u are here all done, plus I hadnt used or studied thai for a month in my home country so was rusty

so to get a 20 min grilling in thai after 28 hour flight I was taken back by it

These days who knows what will happen i got a reset of the ED visa coming up, I can read, write thai half decent, i can speak it but probably my weakest our of the three can actually read better then I can speak but these days at the border well I am not confident I will get through and I actually go to school, I say I go to 90% of my classes which is pretty good I think, i will be going next week so wish me luck:)

And so it goes on.. 

A "real visa" does not quarantee entry nor does it quarantee that a person will not be asked additional questions or to provide additional documentation. The immigration officers have the last word who comes in and who leaves.

I'm not sure who the "just get a real visa" crowd is. What I am sure of is that I'm not in charge. I don't know any more about the visa situation, other than what I read on Thai government websites and life indeed goes on, regardless of my insignificant comments. Edited by Benmart

Im just wondering, if I ever happen to be denied at Suvanaburni, am I forced to go back to the country I flew from, on the same flight?

Or can I just say, ok, let me go to the ticket counter and book the next flight to Cambodia/Laos/wherever I want?