Retirement in Thailand. At what age does it become unworkable?

NCC1701A

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

................................."and steal all his money and leave him with nothing. A knock int he face is maybe better then. I know what I would prefer"...............robblok

Is there a third option...................................coffee1.gif

• Like 2

My buddy is 78. I'm 63. I help him navigate immigration, trips to Bangkok, and other sudry things that he finds a challenge.

He's not computer savvy and I help out in that arena. Having a friend that is reliable, sober and honest helps. They do exist.

Good luck and see you over here.

One Day at a Time.
  • Like 1

At 85 you should not drive a car anymore. Reflexes are gone.
If you live that long in thailand you should know the language by now. 

Yep. At 85 they should just give you a sleepy pill. sad.png

Better yet, turn you into Soylent Green

Yep. At 85 they should just give you a sleepy pill. sad.png

Better yet, turn you into Soylent Green

Yes! Just like Edward G. Robinson.

At 85 you should not drive a car anymore. Reflexes are gone.
If you live that long in thailand you should know the language by now.

I agree with you.  Cars are dangerous.  I bought a Honda Click.

Wow. You are one badass mofo. Could have gotten a cooler bike, though.

It really isn't the number. It's your condition. There are people in their 20s who need to be in nursing homes. My impression is a lot of oldies repatriate when things get really rough (if they can) and many others die earlier than they would have because they don't want to repatriate or can't. Of course others have better personal support systems here than they would back home. There are no guarantees anywhere. 

I want to add: It is your conditions and your money.

If you can buy yourself some staff things are much easier. Even without staff. My wife is always giving a lot tip. I always considered her as crazy, for giving a motorbike taxi or normal taxi 500 Baht tip. But if she wants something she gets it within minutes.

If she would like to be carried around in a sedan chair they would do it.

I am sure if you have 5 Million USD on your bank account, you can have a nurse who speaks perfect English and if he need something from the bank the lawyer will tell the bank to come to visit. I doubt it would cost more than 5000 Baht.

All a question of money.

It really isn't the number. It's your condition. There are people in their 20s who need to be in nursing homes. My impression is a lot of oldies repatriate when things get really rough (if they can) and many others die earlier than they would have because they don't want to repatriate or can't. Of course others have better personal support systems here than they would back home. There are no guarantees anywhere. 

I want to add: It is your conditions and your money.

If you can buy yourself some staff things are much easier. Even without staff. My wife is always giving a lot tip. I always considered her as crazy, for giving a motorbike taxi or normal taxi 500 Baht tip. But if she wants something she gets it within minutes.

If she would like to be carried around in a sedan chair they would do it.

I am sure if you have 5 Million USD on your bank account, you can have a nurse who speaks perfect English and if he need something from the bank the lawyer will tell the bank to come to visit. I doubt it would cost more than 5000 Baht.

All a question of money.

People who have 5 mil usd do not go to Thailand to live out their retirement  and giving 500 baht tips to taxi drivers ahumm i dont believe you.

People who have 5 mil usd do not go to Thailand to live out their retirement  and giving 500 baht tips to taxi drivers ahumm i dont believe you.

Boyo is you wrong.  http://www.forbes.com/thailand-billionaires/

Check the ages of the top ten.  The average age has got to be 80 something.  Where did you get the idea that the top 50 richest people in Thailand would retire somewhere else?  Rich people love Thailand ask Bill Heinecke.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

The kind of problems you describe will be there wherever you are. If it isn't immigration, it's the Revenue, or some other official outfit that's easy to deal with when you are 65 and got all your marbles but more difficult as you lose some. 

You don't mention whether you have a partner or not. Assuming you don't, and that you are not fluent in Thai, living in Thailand as an octogenarian would almost certainly more trying than in your own country.

For those of us fortunate enough to have a caring Thai partner somewhat younger than ourselves, the kind of obstacles to easy living you mention are easily cleared. Should you be alone in old age, a Thai housekeeper/companion is a solution many turn to. There are many middle aged Thai ladies who will take on this kind of responsibility in return for financial help and the services they provide are usually pretty comprehensive and negotiable.

Insurance is not an option over 75, so you will either need a nest-egg to cover the cost of any treatment or the option of returning to your own country - the US, presumably - should you require a major operation or other wallet-busting care. There are few, if any, nursing homes for expats here, so if you are alone and struck down, say, by a stroke, you have a real problem.

Thailand has many attractions, but is not the sort of place where I would like to grow old alone. Thankfully, you really don't need to unless it is your choice.

My take on retirement is that it becomes unworkable when you run out of money. Sure you can hire someone to do most of your "errands", visas, etc., but when you cannot afford the 15,000 baht a month health insurance,as in my case, and I am nowhere near 80, I have decided retirement here is unworkable for me, so I will go back to America and thus ends my 45 year dream of retiring in Thailand, which was what I wanted when I was here as a 22 year old in the late 60's. At least if I have major medical problems in America, my Veterans Hospital, I hope, will tke care of me and I will not be a burden on my Thai family when I am 80 years old.  I wish you long life, good health and a happy workable retirement in the LOS.  

Would 70's be OK?  I go to immigration 20 minutes per year; hand them my papers and 1900 baht and don't listen to rumors on rumor mongering web sites. 

I go to the bank and know the manager and his assistant both of whom speak English, no problems. 

I go to the doctor 4 times a year; he and all the staff at the department I go to speak English no problems. 

I don't drive a car much.  I drive my motor scooter because its fun, fast and I can carry the groceries but the doctor says I should walk an hour a day so don't drive too much. 

I have a network of Thai women who help me do anything I like and have known them for many years. 

A lot of stress this year.  I went to Bangkok to get a new passport during the coup but no problems.  I went back to pick up my passport with no problems.  I took my Thai wife with me and told her to pay attention because she will be doing the next one when I'm in my 80's. 

My take on retirement is that it becomes unworkable when you run out of money. Sure you can hire someone to do most of your "errands", visas, etc., but when you cannot afford the 15,000 baht a month health insurance,as in my case, and I am nowhere near 80, I have decided retirement here is unworkable for me, so I will go back to America and thus ends my 45 year dream of retiring in Thailand, which was what I wanted when I was here as a 22 year old in the late 60's. At least if I have major medical problems in America, my Veterans Hospital, I hope, will tke care of me and I will not be a burden on my Thai family when I am 80 years old.  I wish you long life, good health and a happy workable retirement in the LOS. 

If you go home, live for 20 years never use insurance and then die in an auto accident what have you proved?  Insurance companies don't go broke in my experience.  I think less people use the benefits then we are led to believe.  Good luck with the VA.  I'm in the same boat but there are some alternatives for some Vets in Thailand depending on your circumstances.  I'm sure you know that the VA tries to wait you out in many instances till you die but like they say up to you.  Google VA waiting list scandal for more info or Veterans Health Administration scandal of 2014

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterans_Health_Administration_scandal_of_2014 

An internal VA audit released June 9, 2014 found that more than 120,000 veterans were left waiting or never got care and that pressures were placed on schedulers to use unofficial lists or engage in inappropriate practices to make waiting times appear more favorable.

Edited by thailiketoo

Other than the 90 day reporting and the new visa every 12 months, I don't see too much added hassle. The medical side of things does concern me a little, even though my health is pretty good at 72, I wouldn't want to be hit with huge hospital bills from a private hospital.  A neighbour, just spent a night in Bangkok/Pattaya hospital and they wanted 40,000 baht up front before they would even admit him. I probably wouldn't have much choice but to head back to Australia if I was looking at a lengthy hospital stay.

Thailand's medical costs are one of the cheapest in world.  I can only guess that you get free medical in Australia.

In USA, 40,000 baht would not cover one hour in the ER, or the ambulance ride to the hospital. 

If you have a health insurance policy to cover problems any age should be able to stay and function here. You can do reports to immigration or designate someone to go for you. I retired from Gov job so my health insurace covers me wherever I am and cannot be cancelled. Hopefully others can get some type of affordable coverage othherwise that might make it hard to stay here. My health is good right now father and mother lived till 90's  , gran ma 102 so hopefully I'll be around for awhile but hey  you could get creamed by a car or falling plane.

Hi.

I'm 73.  Walk an hr a day in the hills round here (Coastal Queensland)  Ride pushbike on alternate days. 40 minutes.

Live in 2 story house, 14 stairs.

Have heated (31\32 deg) 8 mtr Pool in back garden with swim jets.

Until I was 68\9 I paddled the Outrigger Canoes (6 man crews)  Competitively with the 45\55 yr olds.

We only had 3 members over 60. need 6 to a team (boat)

Sept, we going to US. Mexico. Peru. Chili, and North Isl N.Z. for the Inca.mayan etc ruins temples. Also booked in for the 4 day Inca Trail hike.

I don't consider us old at my age. Just carrying extra ballast and slowed down a bit is all. (110 kg , but reasonably fit)

Don't let yourself get out of condition too much. it farks your lifestyle and health.

All my genes go to usually early 3 figures b4 falling over.  Hopefully I won't last that long,

ask me in 20 yrs.

PS.

The poster above me.

How did you ask her too marry you if you don't speak the language, and visa versa.

Or is it a Food. Dishes. Bed. roll over relationship.

Sign language.

How the hell could you live a life outside the cot of you can't communicate verbally????.

Edited by macka17

BEFORE a person gets beyond 60, he should have assembled around him a tested and trusted core of people who can help all those little tasks......... in Thailand or anywhere.

The core of people cost money, and one should not be cheap with them.  Pay your Thai wife an allowance, make sure your close workers get a little more than what is fair.  Thaksin proved that you CAN buy loyalty, and even not in extreme cases like that, it does take some money.  It would not be fair to those close to you to just work for your love because you know how much food love buys.

There are a surprisingly huge number of Thai people with good hearts.  You must find and recruit a few good hearts and keep them close.   The Thai I know also respect and honor a good turn done to them and want to reciprocate, it is built into the culture here.

If a person is in Thailand alone and with no circle of supporting people, that person did not think ahead and is now screwed to the wall.  I guess he could hire a lawyer, hee hee, to do these necessary jobs.

We must all think, who will wipe your shiny hiny when you can no longer get out of bed? 

It is so tuff to be realistic.

• Like 1

Since I'm in my seventies I feel I can respond. I don't believe there's a specific age, more a set of circumstances. I already have a chronic illness and it's far far cheaper for me to get my drugs from my home country. Since I fly home every six months for that purpose arguably I've already stopped living in Thailand.  If I develop some form of dementia I think I'd want to be somewhere where my paranoia wasn't increased by a (probably justified) belief that I was being ripped off.

So condition #1 is health. What I fear is not so much getting ill - I'd hope I'd have enough strength to get back to my home country - but having an accident that incapacitates me, which is why I've always got travel insurance (in conjunction with the trips back home). Not just incapacitates but lands me up in hospital - I'm sure if I'm just temporarily incapacitated I can hire someone to take care of me.

As for the rest of the examples the OP raises, the solution for me is the same - I can hire someone. My immigration lawyer already handles all that side of things and for a fee I'm sure he'd handle everything else. I've never thought it wise to buy property in a country that doesn't understand the importance of maintenance, but I've been happy with the condo management of where I rent right now and never had any disagreements.

With physical companionship the same principle applies - I can hire someone.

• Like 1

OP, 

22+ years from now who will take care of you in the States and how affordable a life style will you lead?  Life is full of the unknown. Who knows what things will be like in Thailand in 22+ years. Have a plan A, B, C... be flexible and adaptable. If your the type of person hamstrung by fear of the unknown perhaps living in a foreign land is not for you. Death and taxes are the only guarantees, do not let fear and ambivalence of the unknown crush you dreams. If you move to the LOS for a year and do not like it no one will stop you from leaving. You will be quite blessed if you live long enough face the issues your thinking about. Good luck with your decisions.

Blanket statements about hospital care in USA are totally inaccurate. Some hospitals are not so good.  Others offer top-of-the-line care from first contact to finish. My most recent hosp visit was superb with caring folks, efficient service and best available devices. Docs also first rate.  

Other folks may report likewise or different.  I presented no special problems, in excellent health (age 68), take no drugs so was an easy case.  And i don't like to complain. 

Hello, I have posted this before, but will post again. For you Expats that are worried about medical insurance, Thai Life Insurance, has medical coverage that will cover you till you are 90 years old. They won't cancel you if you get real sick, and they will cover ore existing conditions. This coverage is just for hospital care only. But is very reasonable. Good luck to you all.
  • Like 1

I am 70. Very happy here...with only one concern. I do not speak Thai, and I am not learning well. To find a Thai English speaker it is a mission impossible...and to convince my Thai wife to learn English seems the same. Without the help of a "translator" life in Thailand it is not easy at any age.

I'm older than you and I haven't had any real problems. My Thai partner speaks reasonable English so she translates when I need it. If I was running a business here it might be a tad more difficult.

You just confirmed my point....My wife speak a little...not even reasonable English, and we are in business together. She is a lot younger than myself, with a lot of free time, but she doesn't want even to take advantage of free English classes offered in our town to adult Thai people...Why?...because most of her Thai friends, and family members of any age, are also not interested. We have a business related to university students. ALL them are not interested in English classes even for free. Thai people depending in good jobs will have a big surprise next year with ASEAN, if Thailand open the job market for ASEAN companies and professionals. BIG SURPRISE!

Edited by umbanda

Hello, I have posted this before, but will post again. For you Expats that are worried about medical insurance, Thai Life Insurance, has medical coverage that will cover you till you are 90 years old. They won't cancel you if you get real sick, and they will cover ore existing conditions. This coverage is just for hospital care only. But is very reasonable. Good luck to you all.

The Thai Life Insurance website is in Thai so unable to find out what the premiums are. Any idea how much for a 70 year old?