Where to find a spade

jvs

I know this sounds like an old topic because there are a few of them but they are very dated.

Not long ago someone mentioned where to get a good spade.

Mine was bought at Homepro around six years ago and i must say it was e very good tool.

We have dug trenches and used it a lot for planting trees.

Now however the time has come to say goodbye,The blade itself is a lot shorter and we had to weld it twice now to keep it from falling apart.

Went to Homepro to get a new one and,no have

Can anyone tell me where to find one?

Not spades but shovels and spades! Oh, Global Hardware in Phitsanulok.

I bought 2....but because they used what looks like pine for the handles, the handles are about 30% bigger in diameter than Aussie shovels.

I have one from 900 baht, from homeworks if i recall well. It is not bad but also not very good because the steel blade will bend if you use force.

They sell them that american shop, truevalue but sure not cheap and also the quality there is not what i expect. European ones are the best and never bend.

I bought 2 at IKEAattachicon.gifimage.jpg

That's a short handle shovel, not a spade.

rice555

I would call that a spade.... let's call a spade a spade!tongue.pngbiggrin.png ... more like an English spade, north American ones have the long handles ... wink.png

This looks same same as the HomePro ones, but different colour.... I have found them (Home pro) very good.... 600 baht if I remember...at HP thumbsup.gif

I think a seasonal item, so not always in stock... lord knows when the season is for new stock! whistling.gif

A spade/garden spade you dig with, thats why they have a point!

A flat shovel is a different tool, in the likes as a shit shovel, coal shovel

or it's larger brother, a snow shovel.

Be they short or long handled, they are not the same.

rice555 with a cheap pice of shit yellow short handle "shit steel" shovel.

• 1 month later...

A garden spade has a square mouth, a shovel has a pointed mouth, they are meant for different things. For digging trees a long handled spade is the best tool as it does not slip off the roots like a pointed shovel. Trouble is they are hard to find here, the best I have found is on ebay but for one that costs between $20 and $30 it will cost $60 plus for shipping. There are various types of spades and shovels for different jobs but a garden spade is the one with the rectangular blade sides are not curled up at all and it has a squared mouth.

Spades are made in many shapes and sizes, for a variety of different functions and jobs, and there are many different designs used in spade manufacturing. The term shovel is sometimes used interchangeably with spade, but shovels generally are broad-bottomed and better suited for moving loose materials, whereas spades tend to have a flat bottom edge for use as a digging tool.

shovel-and-spade_new.jpg

• Like 1

The picture of the spade and shovel made me laugh because where I am from the names are reversed. Spade is actually spade shaped and shovel is the square shaped one.

I personally prefer the mattock here though to a spade/shovel. The soil we have is hard packed clay and after I had broke several spade handles even metal ones, I decided the old mattock was better.

A garden spade has a square mouth, a shovel has a pointed mouth, they are meant for different things. For digging trees a long handled spade is the best tool as it does not slip off the roots like a pointed shovel. Trouble is they are hard to find here, the best I have found is on ebay but for one that costs between $20 and $30 it will cost $60 plus for shipping. There are various types of spades and shovels for different jobs but a garden spade is the one with the rectangular blade sides are not curled up at all and it has a squared mouth.

Spades are made in many shapes and sizes, for a variety of different functions and jobs, and there are many different designs used in spade manufacturing. The term shovel is sometimes used interchangeably with spade, but shovels generally are broad-bottomed and better suited for moving loose materials, whereas spades tend to have a flat bottom edge for use as a digging tool.

shovel-and-spade_new.jpg

Can't resist this one: a spade is a digging implement. A shovel is for shovelling stuff about. Both the tools in this image are spades. No arguments please, I used both for 40years.

Try http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=spade&searchmode=none and then use the same site for shovel (as in shove). Obviously, a spade can be used as a shovel, at a pinch, but you will break a shovel if you start digging with it.

http://www.truevalue.co.th/product.php?id=99

This shop has all imported from the USA.

There is also a big Gardena shop in BKK chatuchak (Ratchayothin road i thought, close to that big mall (is that seacon square?) , that's better quality then from USA.

A True Temper made in the USA will last a lifetime and wear out several handles. The only way you wear it out (over many years) is by sharpening it with a file which you should do but not to excess.

The Chinese have crap steel, so I wouldn't buy one. But the USA still knows how to make top notch tempered steel. True Temper would be a top brand in the USA.

When I was young and pinching my money, I would go to a second hand store or thrift store and buy one with a broken handle for next to nothing. Then I would go to a hardware store and buy a new oak handle. That way I could get about 4 tools for the price of one. I've always looked for the True Temper stamped into the steel near the handle.

• Like 1

There is also a big Gardena shop in BKK chatuchak (Ratchayothin road i thought, close to that big mall (is that seacon square?) , that's better quality then from USA.

A True Temper made in the USA will last a lifetime and wear out several handles. The only way you wear it out (over many years) is by sharpening it with a file which you should do but not to excess.

The Chinese have crap steel, so I wouldn't buy one. But the USA still knows how to make top notch tempered steel. True Temper would be a top brand in the USA.

When I was young and pinching my money, I would go to a second hand store or thrift store and buy one with a broken handle for next to nothing. Then I would go to a hardware store and buy a new oak handle. That way I could get about 4 tools for the price of one. I've always looked for the True Temper stamped into the steel near the handle.

Allright, i never used one of those so i can't tell if they are good or not. I do have the sprayheads and poreous drippinghose from True and they quality sucks.

I know they are still in warranty but i will never go back to True Thailand. In fact i will never buy anything made in the USA again, had to many bad experiences with the quality but also with their service.

If one has issues with german or japanese brands they just swap it for a new product, no questions asked and that makes me happy and i will pay any price for that.

My broom from True is still good though, only problem is that my MIL thinks i'm crazy to pay 1000 baht for a broom haha.

Yes Rice, you were right...That mall close to the gardena shop is not seacon square. If one ever goes to that big gardena shop you have to give them your id, phonenumber and more crap like that or they won't sell to you. I just showed them the money and said: take it or leave it, i m going home now and then they took the money but didn't give me a receipt so i don't have warranty.....so Thai.

Oak handle? They originally have hickory handles, I used to replace them with ash, not having anything better. I brought some over here with me and tropical hard wood seems to do the job well. I only tried (American) ash once, didn't last a week.

Not an easy job fixing a new handle on these, you have to taper the wood so that it goes all the way down to the bottom of its 'ole.

Oak handle? They originally have hickory handles, I used to replace them with ash, not having anything better. I brought some over here with me and tropical hard wood seems to do the job well. I only tried (American) ash once, didn't last a week.

Not an easy job fixing a new handle on these, you have to taper the wood so that it goes all the way down to the bottom of its 'ole.

I can buy handles that are tapered and fit perfectly. I would guess that the fit is an industry standard since I can go anywhere that sells handles, take my steel with me, match it up and I'm golden.

I think you're right about hickory. Brain fart.

post-164212-0-46273100-1411160019_thumb.

post-164212-0-24251900-1411160106_thumb.

Allright, i never used one of those so i can't tell if they are good or not. I do have the sprayheads and poreous drippinghose from True and they quality sucks.

-snip-

True Value Hardware Stores are consumer level stores so don't expect everything to be made in the US or to be quality.

In the US, the quality things are made in the US and the lesser grades are made in China.

I don't believe that True Temper tools are related to True Value Hardware Stores. I can buy them at a lot of stores. But if they are True Temper, made in the US tools, they will be good.

I simply don't believe that you have hoses or spray heads that are made in the US that are crap. I think you are mistaken and they are made somewhere else such as China.

I agree that things made in Japan and Germany are usually very good. As for money back, no questions, in my experience that's the store, not the manufacturer. If the store buys crap and doesn't want to stand behind it then I wouldn't shop there.

-snip-

True Value Hardware Stores are consumer level stores so don't expect everything to be made in the US or to be quality.

In the US, the quality things are made in the US and the lesser grades are made in China.

I don't believe that True Temper tools are related to True Value Hardware Stores. I can buy them at a lot of stores. But if they are True Temper, made in the US tools, they will be good.

I simply don't believe that you have hoses or spray heads that are made in the US that are crap. I think you are mistaken and they are made somewhere else such as China.

I agree that things made in Japan and Germany are usually very good. As for money back, no questions, in my experience that's the store, not the manufacturer. If the store buys crap and doesn't want to stand behind it then I wouldn't shop there.

Talking as an ex professional, I can certainly say that Gardena is a rubbish brand,

I can buy handles that are tapered and fit perfectly. I would guess that the fit is an industry standard since I can go anywhere that sells handles, take my steel with me, match it up and I'm golden.

I think you're right about hickory. Brain fart

I deleted post

Edited by cooked