Thailand is unlikely to see Ebola victims, forum told

Lite Beer

I didn't really like this article. To emphatically state Ebola will not come to Thailand is irresponsible. Should it the appear no other, vitally important, information will then have credibility. Touch and fluids are the medium by which non airborne transmission occurs. Yet most of how we thought Ebola behaved has changed recently. I am concerned that air does in fact also act as medium. I find it incredulous that a disease with such a mortality rate is no problem for the majority of hospitals in Thailand. Perhaps Thai people's tradition of wai in greeting lessens transmission, but...

You have mis-read the article. It didn't "emphatically state Ebola will not come to Thailand". It said it was unlikely, and that is correct. 

I had this pointed out. You are correct. I was mistaken. I allowed two different articles on Ebola to merge into my concern, and recall incorrectly.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the link from WHO about the virus and it's transmission :-

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

WHO States that this virus has a mortality rate of up to 90% not 60 to 90 as your forum has mentioned as it's intentionally misleading the public.

In terms of West Africans, most reside in Bangkok, particularly Soi 3 which comes to mind. 

Thailand must not ignore the facts, as the repercussions would be enormous if they got it wrong. 

Most West Africans reside in West Africa, not Bangkok. 

Do you know what "up to 90%" means? It seems not.

You seem very confused about simple facts. Maybe English isn't your main language.

You are right but still 40% chance of surviving being the best odds you can hope for surviving doesn't really make things a whole lot better does it. It's a nasty nasty virus and with it's incubation period like I mentioned, it can be spread around the world fairly easily. Also people seem to be skipping over the recent studies I posted on the BBC article in 2012, ignorance isn't bliss

I didn't really like this article. To emphatically state Ebola will not come to Thailand is irresponsible. Should it the appear no other, vitally important, information will then have credibility. Touch and fluids are the medium by which non airborne transmission occurs. Yet most of how we thought Ebola behaved has changed recently. I am concerned that air does in fact also act as medium. I find it incredulous that a disease with such a mortality rate is no problem for the majority of hospitals in Thailand. Perhaps Thai people's tradition of wai in greeting lessens transmission, but...

You have mis-read the article. It didn't "emphatically state Ebola will not come to Thailand". It said it was unlikely, and that is correct. 

What it doesn't say is categorically why its so unlikely.

Why is it anymore unlikely than any other place in the world? It is only less likely because there aren't many African visitors to Thailand.

But if a plane with someone infected travels to bangkok the odds that a patient gets infected is exactly the same as any other flight.

Go back to school and learn probability and you may understand what likely and unlikely mean. You don't appear to know what the word unlikely actually means. Ebola has been around for decades and has never come here. Why do you think it's suddenly likely that it will? That's a complete nonsense.

Why is it anymore unlikely than any other place in the world? It is only less likely because there aren't many African visitors to Thailand.

But if a plane with someone infected travels to bangkok the odds that a patient gets infected is exactly the same as any other flight.

Go back to school and learn probability and you may understand what likely and unlikely mean. You don't appear to know what the word unlikely actually means. Ebola has been around for decades and has never come here. Why do you think it's suddenly likely that it will? That's a complete nonsense.

Canadian scientists have shown that the deadliest form of the ebola virus could be transmitted by air between species.

In experiments, they demonstrated that the virus was transmitted from pigs to monkeys without any direct contact between them.

The researchers say they believe that limited airborne transmission might be contributing to the spread of the disease in some parts of Africa.

They are concerned that pigs might be a natural host for the lethal infection.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

Please help us then. My mistake earlier was clearly silly. But other posters seem to be missing your point. You end your post with a question. I am not railing against you. Please help clarify it for us if we are missing it. Thank you.

Here is the link from WHO about the virus and it's transmission :-

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

WHO States that this virus has a mortality rate of up to 90% not 60 to 90 as your forum has mentioned as it's intentionally misleading the public.

In terms of West Africans, most reside in Bangkok, particularly Soi 3 which comes to mind. 

Thailand must not ignore the facts, as the repercussions would be enormous if they got it wrong. 

You seem very confused about simple facts. Maybe English isn't your main language.

You are right but still 40% chance of surviving being the best odds you can hope for surviving doesn't really make things a whole lot better does it. It's a nasty nasty virus and with it's incubation period like I mentioned, it can be spread around the world fairly easily. Also people seem to be skipping over the recent studies I posted on the BBC article in 2012, ignorance isn't bliss

You, and others on here, seem to love making things up. Ebola does not spread fairly easily. It is in fact quite difficult for it to spread. It hasn't even spread very far in West Africa, so how do you expect it to get to Thailand so easily? You, like others, are talking nonsense and trying to spread fear and panic. There are already more deadly diseases in Thailand that most people ignore. But they all get excited when a story makes the news headlines. Ebola's not coming here, so relax.

Edited by ldnguy

Its only been in the UK once in the last 50 years, and that was from an accidental exposure in a lab.

So as I say, the odds that it gets to the UK or Thailand are purely driven by how many infected people may or may not get on a plane to the UK or to Bangkok.

Yes its unlikely to get anywhere outside the main zone, but the odds are there and if it does, particularly through air transport the chances of it spreading increase greatly.

Why is it any less likely to get to bangkok than anywhere else. Well people can't walk from Africa to Thailand, or take the bus. Some may come by boat but theain vector for spread is by air plane.

Yes, immigration is on alert in the UK. I guess they are looking at the commonwealth games quite closely. Thailand would do well to be alert because once its into the general population it causes a massive disruption to contain it.

In a mobile population like bangkok or any other major city, stuff like Ebola is terrifying.

Please help us then. My mistake earlier was clearly silly. But other posters seem to be missing your point. You end your post with a question. I am not railing against you. Please help clarify it for us if we are missing it. Thank you.

What don't you understand? Ebola is very difficult to catch. Ebola hasn't spread very far in the last few decades. Ebola is fairly easy to contain. Ebola is unlikely to come to Thailand. You are more likely to die from a road accident, cancer, heart disease, etc. They kill hundreds of millions. Ebola kills 100s in a bad year and none in a good year. So what should you be worried about? Using the roads and eating junk food. Simple. Ebola sells newspapers. 

Edited by ldnguy

The Ebola outbreak in West Africa is spreading faster than efforts to control it, World Health Organization (WHO) head Margaret Chan has said.

She told a summit of regional leaders that failure to contain Ebola could be "catastrophic" in terms of lives lost.

But she said the virus, which has claimed 728 lives in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone since February, could be stopped if well managed.

Its only been in the UK once in the last 50 years, and that was from an accidental exposure in a lab.

So as I say, the odds that it gets to the UK or Thailand are purely driven by how many infected people may or may not get on a plane to the UK or to Bangkok.

Yes its unlikely to get anywhere outside the main zone, but the odds are there and if it does, particularly through air transport the chances of it spreading increase greatly.

Why is it any less likely to get to bangkok than anywhere else. Well people can't walk from Africa to Thailand, or take the bus. Some may come by boat but theain vector for spread is by air plane.

Yes, immigration is on alert in the UK. I guess they are looking at the commonwealth games quite closely. Thailand would do well to be alert because once its into the general population it causes a massive disruption to contain it.

In a mobile population like bangkok or any other major city, stuff like Ebola is terrifying.

So you now agree with the article that it's unlikely to come to Thailand.

Why is is less likely to get to Bangkok than to any other place? Because it's most likley to get to countries that people from West Africa travel to most often. And that isn't Thailand.

Ebola is not terrifying to me or many other people. Stop reading scare stories and you'll stop being so scared.

The Ebola outbreak in West Africa is spreading faster than efforts to control it, World Health Organization (WHO) head Margaret Chan has said.

She told a summit of regional leaders that failure to contain Ebola could be "catastrophic" in terms of lives lost.

But she said the virus, which has claimed 728 lives in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone since February, could be stopped if well managed.

Sounds like she wants more money. So scare the public and politicians and she'll get it. Then she can contain the spread and become a hero. Meantime, millions die of preventable diseases that governments refuse to fund. Same old story.

Canadian scientists have shown that the deadliest form of the ebola virus could be transmitted by air between species.

In experiments, they demonstrated that the virus was transmitted from pigs to monkeys without any direct contact between them.

The researchers say they believe that limited airborne transmission might be contributing to the spread of the disease in some parts of Africa.

They are concerned that pigs might be a natural host for the lethal infection.

This is what researchers say when they want more funding. 

So you now agree with the article that it's unlikely to come to Thailand.

Why is is less likely to get to Bangkok than to any other place? Because it's most likley to get to countries that people from West Africa travel to most often. And that isn't Thailand.

Ebola is not terrifying to me or many other people. Stop reading scare stories and you'll stop being so scared.

That's as I said.

However, unlikely is a very broad term and its good they are prepared because bangkok is a major transit airport.

They have a few cases where they are trying to find people from airplanes.

I am not sure about it being difficult to spread on the basis that it is contained in bodlily fluid and faeces.

That means sitting on a long haul flight with an infected person is still not something I would want to do. Lots of hand washing and masks are likely become more common.

Personally to me, no its not scary as long as it stays in Africa. If it got out via air transport there will be an absolute panic because airports are by definition full of people travelling everywhere.

ok, you guys stay scared while I get on with my life. Have fun.

hehe I'm not scared you silly goose, why fear death if it is something we all have to face eventually? Just presenting what WHO has recent;y stated today and I am having a great weekend thanks, and so should you all

Unlikely???

Bad info in my opinion.

I've read where Ebola has known to be air born.

The US is preparing nationwide.

The US is actually allowing a Ebola patient in from Africa.

Unbelievable.

It is as likely than many other countries where you have trafic from the effected area's.

I was working in Liberia till 1 month ago and no measurements been in placed to check outgoing travelers at all.

No travel ristriction where in placed and not any country checking if been traveled to effected area's (countries)over the last period of time.

There is a lot more trafic from the effected area's this period so therefore more likely to spread and yes it is spreading more widely.

Still no need to scared people but it is good to create awareness.

It was my understanding that traditionally in Africa, where the virus originated, when ebola broke out in a village, they would cut down trees and create roadblocks between the village and the next villages to prevent "any" travel in or out and possible spread.

They would also put anyone with symptoms in the same room in the same house and leave them in it. To die.

Effective containment.

No matter the precautions, I find it unbelievable that they would remove someone from Africa and "take them" to the U.S. when there is no known

treatment. To me that is just awesome stupidity. 

All the articles I've read have blamed the Africans for not understanding the dangers. I cannot agree with that.

• Like 2

So a West African person travels to Thailand without knowing, or having symptoms suddenly goes down sick, is taken to a local hospital and tended to there, contaminating care/nurses before they realize what they are dealing with.    UNLIKELY    ??????   most probably is more like it. 

Because it does not pick on a persons skin colour a nurse or home help UN-Red Cross-Aid workers etc  could come here for vacation.  Thailand think better than this topic suggests.     NO KNOWN CURE.

So a West African person travels to Thailand without knowing, or having symptoms suddenly goes down sick, is taken to a local hospital and tended to there, contaminating care/nurses before they realize what they are dealing with.    UNLIKELY    ??????   most probably is more like it. 

Because it does not pick on a persons skin colour a nurse or home help UN-Red Cross-Aid workers etc  could come here for vacation.  Thailand think better than this topic suggests.     NO KNOWN CURE.

And no vaccine either, but what I love about Thailand is that every Thai that has a sore throat, a headache, muscle aches, diarrhea and a fever will get their 15 minutes of fame boasting about how they thought they had been infected with the Ebola virus. 

• Like 1

And no vaccine either, but what I love about Thailand is that every Thai that has a sore throat, a headache, muscle aches, diarrhea and a fever will get their 15 minutes of fame boasting about how they thought they had been infected with the Ebola virus. 

My love of it here over the 3 decades is all of the above health probs is they will spend near a full day at the hospital waiting like cattle to see a doctor for 80% of the time they sneezed when they woke up.

I have never seen in my lifetime so much wastage on resources and doctor time for virtually nothing.  BUT one of these MAY have something more serious, I suggest they have some government pharmacies in village/towns with  a medic to treat mild cases  and they refer to hospitals.

STOP the attending of non urgent situes at hospitals, treat at the small medical centres in each large village.

BUT again Thai people believe only the big hospital can cure.

Just.... wow.  I'm almost at a loss for words here.

1) Thailand has lots of visitors from West Africa, especially Nigeria. Thailand actually spends a lot of money catering to them to come here. They even have a Thai Embassy in Nigeria due to so many of them coming here!!!!!!

2) Do you have any idea how many workers (oil rigs, private contractors...) work in West Africa and come to Thailand on their off shifts, or keep a place here? Lots.

3) Do you know how many Thais are working in West Africa? Lots.

4) Why do they have to come directly from Africa? We all live in a global world now. Someone from West Africa goes to China, infects people on a plane, who in turn go to Thailand the following week. It could have happened already and no one knows yet.

All it takes is ONE of them returning to Thailand with Ebola and we have a possible nightmare on our hands. Considering the amount of people coming from that area of the world to Thailand, the risk is very high.

There are 7 Filipinos in Manila right now who are under watch as they think they were exposed to the virus. They were all migrant workers in Sierra Leone. Lots of Thais working there too, and they will all be coming home soon as this situation gets worse.

Not to mention, does anyone remember how Thailand dealt with swine flu? The numbers were so high and being reported every day in the papers, that the gov stepped in and told them they had to get the numbers from the government. That was the end of swine flu, and all to save tourism. Do you think for a second that the Thai government, military or otherwise, is going to alert the world that they have Ebola? cheesy.gif  Maybe a case or two at best, but in order to not harm tourism, they will risk every life in this place. THAT you can count on.

Wake up man. You're not living in the 70s anymore. People are traveling more than ever, and moving quickly around the world. WHO has said this outbreak is the worst yet and is moving faster than they can contain it. We are all living in a country that is at risk for various reasons. No one wants to talk about how great the risk really is here, but just ask anyone working there what the score is and they will tell you, or ask any Nigerian on Soi 3 how many are arriving daily.

However, you are correct about one thing. Only 700+ are dead and people are freaking out. More die from drunk driving and lots of other reasons. However, no one wants to die from Ebola. It's a horrifying way to go. The worst way to die. I'd rather be killed in a car accident than bleed out from every orifice in my body as my insides liquify.

• Like 1

I don't care how cautious or professional they are, the Americans have made a huge mistake and have given rise the possibility of ebola spreading into their country. Why they would take care of them there is beyond me, there is no cure or special medicine, they could get what they needed where they were. Such a stupid move, but we are talking about the American government here so I am not too surprised.

• Like 1