The use of crash helmets will be discouraged in Deep South

Lite Beer

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is another way around this..... In Colombia, after years of terrorist bombings and assassinations,  all motorbike drivers and riders have to wear safety vests and helmets with decals that match the license tag.  If you are caught without a helmet, vest, or that doesn't match the tag, it is assumed you are up to no good and immediately detained by police. So, it really is a win win. Safer for the bikers, safer for the security forces. 

If that is truly working for the Colombians then it is a good idea that should be considered by the NCPO, as a part of other measures, as well.

I know that the arguments for wearing a helmet are justified but in this case perhaps the NCPO is looking at a bigger picture.

But then again, what would a farang know? Just saying.

It's actually a rather brilliant idea. Now the Army will have an instant means of profiling each person on a motorcycle - if you are wearing a helmet, you must be an insurgent. The Army can immediately detain/shoot each one  that is profiled as an insurgent - no need for interrogation. 

Meanwhile, the police can have a bonanza with all the others who are not wearing helmets.

1. The helmets you can buy in Thailand are nothing anybody should wear as they are simply not safe.

2. Wearing a helmet is a personal safety issue and as such should be a personal choice.

3. Helmets do not make the traffic safer. As a fakt they have nothing at all to do with traffic ... only personal safety.

4. People who force other people to do something they don't want to do are by definition dictators

5. People who agree on laws that support this dictatorship behavior are brainwashed sheep !!!

6. People who say: it's the law ! ... should try to start to think about what they are saying

There is no doubt that what is done in the south is ridiculous !!! But what is written in this forum is FAR more stupid

then any Thai would be able to write.

• Like 2

And they can be such a sexy piece of equipment - if you know how to wear them. The BBC reporters are an example of this. Brilliant if they can save you from a sniper's bullet at the same time as making you a safe driver of your Honda Wave.

Bon voyage,

Fritzz

No safety helmets is a good idea.  I hope they extend that to the rest of Thailand.

No helmets in Thailand.  How many more would die if they did not have a helmet?  What is your logic?

• Like 1

This is a GREAT column!  Many highly intelligent and humorous comments!  After 10 years here, my view it is a land of mostly uneducated children posing as adults... and too many BAD kids acting badly and without logic. It is a "Living Movie" we are participating in!

• Like 1

People talk about motorcyclists having insurance! How many people actually have motor cycle insurance? I have asked several riders if they have insurance for their motor-bike and the answer is "no".So it is of scant importance whether or not non-helmeted bikers are eligible for insurance protection. This might be the law in the West, where riding a bike without insurance is considered a crime, but we are not in the West. Is it a crime in Thailand? Once upon a time I had a motor-cycle, and that carried no insurance. Now I drive a car, and that has full insurance. Does that mean that the only people on the roads who are insured are those driving four wheeled vehicles? That would appear to be the case to me, but please correct me if I am wrong!

There is another way around this..... In Colombia, after years of terrorist bombings and assassinations,  all motorbike drivers and riders have to wear safety vests and helmets with decals that match the license tag.  If you are caught without a helmet, vest, or that doesn't match the tag, it is assumed you are up to no good and immediately detained by police. So, it really is a win win. Safer for the bikers, safer for the security forces. 

The way Thailand works sometimes, they will not respond to your recommendation because it is a god one.  They will wait two years,bring it up like tney thought about it...and never implement it.

Amazing tHighland

Did anyone, by chance, read an explanation by the journalist as to WHY removing helmets would help increase security?  I can take a good guess, but how can a journalist put a headline like that with no clear explanation?  It was the ONLY reason I opened the article; to get a clear explanation of this remarkable headline.  Why are these news outlets hiring high school dropouts as journalists.

Authority discourages wearing of crash helmets for motorcyclists? Speechless!

Yes, they are grasping at straws because the are not addressing the root causes. The bad guys will simply temporarily don ski-masks as do the typically Islamist terrorists everywhere else.

• Like 1

Why stop at helmuts? Let's go all the way and ban any clothing for motorbike riders. Given a culture of modesty, the streets will be cleared of all motorbikes. Security achieved!

It didn't work in Israel, did it? It took walls and checkpoints after many innocent lives were lost.

So this aplies to Buddhists? Muslims as far as I have seen don't wear helmets. Maybe in the South its different but in the North they don't. Would make you afraid to wear one in case you are shot .. seems a no win option. .

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app