Holiday in Thailand could end for expats

Everyone that I have meet in real life that have bought a house or a condo for millions in a foreign country. They have first checked and make clear that they are allowed to stay and live in that country. Not first bought the house for millions and after that checked if they are allowed to stay in the house

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thousands of foreigners living legally in Thailand are able to apply for work visas through their employers, or retirement visas if they are over 50 years old and can prove they have adequate finances. Others, particularly men, can live in the country on marriage visas.

These 3 categories of foreigners for whom Thailand offers "proper visas", namely - 1) expat workers with work visas 2) pensioners with retirement visas 3) others-men on marriage visas - seem simply don't cover the rest vast segment of foreign "property investors' who can definitely  be potential interesting for Thailand.

A rhetorical question: how people under 50, without Thai spouses, who bought houses in Thailand can spend holidays or simply stay here if they work distantly and not interested to start a business in Thailand? How such people can "use" their property? Is Thailand not interested in such foreign investments?

I have yet to meet one property developer/investor that puts the welfare of the country before his/her own pocket. That's called business.

Answering truthfully, do you think there is no money in Thailand for them to invest themselves? Where I am living I am constantly amazed at the sheer number of houses and other accommodation that changes the landscape every month.

And I could pretty much guarantee that not a single baht/dollar/pound/ruble of foreign investment is involved.

Some people think too highly of themselves, IMHO.  

Quote Jewell49 - Yes great guys then we would have all the 'western weathly nations ' populated with millions and millions of people who have nothing to offer and then the ' wealthy western nations ' would be your new third world, great system

Kind of funny that a farang who lives in Thailand would say this. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why many Thais despise farangs because we can travel freely all over the globe but they are subjected to the visa nazis of American/Ozzie/European countries, even if they just want to go on holiday for a few weeks. You are typically a Westerner who likes the divide in the world between the haves and have nots but at the same time you like living in a third world country because your money is worth more here. Maybe Thailand should select farangs by their life philosophy in the future instead of by looking at their bookbank. If you look down on have nots the way you do you obviously don't belong here

Where is the magical line that separates the good tourist contributing to the Thai economy and the criminal abusing the system?

Magical line is at 4 weeks in any 1 year (for US citizens).
After that you're not a tourist.

How much leave does an employed person working in a normal job, get in your home country?
(If you answer 6 weeks, then that should set the magical line for your countrymen)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_statutory_minimum_employment_leave_by_country Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

A rhetorical question: how people under 50, without Thai spouses, who bought houses in Thailand can spend holidays or simply stay here if they work distantly and not interested to start a business in Thailand? How such people can "use" their property? Is Thailand not interested in such foreign investments?

The answer is in the question wink.png
Just get an Investment Visa, and Thailand will welcome you, even if you are far from 50 yo. smile.png

'A semi-retired UK national in his 40s ... had to cancel plans for a $6,000 medical operation and switch to a hospital in Singapore. [The] travel industry represents 20 percent of the country's total economic output. [The] medical tourism industry, 40 percent of the global market.' And there's the rub: add in the cash cow side of the economy and the various cons that still escape NCPO oversight, and if push really does come to shove, Thailand's economy will contract faster than a hot poker in an icepack.

'Airlines contacted by Al Jazeera ... said the government has so far not asked them to vet passengers ... raising the possibility some could be turned away after landing.' And, if past rules still apply, the airlines will be compelled to return those passengers to their points of origin.

At the end of the day, (this has been said time and time again about the visa situation) get the correct visa for your purpose.  Good on them for enforcing this as you wouldn't get away with it in your own countries.  So while those who have done the wrong thing, are here on the wrong visas and now getting all stressed about what they should do.  The rest of us who did the right thing and are here on correct visas are now relaxed and enjoying the beaches and lifestyle.  To those who have done the wrong thing.... suck sh$t.  

Edited by Phuketboy

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

No gambling allowed in Yhailand, but I bet, Bangkok will drop to number 3-5 next year.
Reason: all visa runners, who entry on tourist visas, up to 12 time a year, they will simply dissapear.

Next, actually a lot bigger problem:
When spread, and I will help (!), the new passport rule, will scare millions away. Yes millions!
Simply think you like to visit Thailand, maybe for the first time. And you get the information, you (and your whole family) can face 2 years in jail, not bringing your passport to the beach, shopping in Bangkok or in the late night party

I bet ;-)
If this law rules, forget about tourists! Maybe a drop 20-30%! 
Anyone of the junta reading this, think this over ;-)

What are you talking about? What new passport rules?

You really need to stay up to speed on this. Unless it has changed again in the last 24 hours in which case I'm the tw@t who should keep up................wink.png

You're correct - the Bangkok Deputy Commander did make a "clarification" that (at least in Bangkok) passports need NOT be carried 24/7.  BUT, what you're missing is that it's pretty easy for that little bit of 'good news' to get lost in the avalanche of alarms & warnings & cautions and rumors that have been filling the Thailand news niche since before the military takeover.  A huge number of travelers WILL (probably already have) come to the conclusion that it's probably easier to just stay away and go somewhere else where they don't have to have concerns about whether or not immigration is going to let them (and their families!) through, whether customs is going to be searching & taxing their stuff, whether gestapo are going to be demanding to see their passports & demanding money on every streetcorner, whether they have some report they have to file with immigration or the police in each new province they enter or everyplace they stay, foreigners are being forced out, etc. etc. etc. etc.   It all adds up, and there's been so much of it lately that I can easily imagine it having an effect.  Don't say it, I know - most of the above isn't quite true or particularly relevant even WRT true casual travelers.  That's not the point.  It's all founded in some new enforcement regime that actually IS taking place, and the average traveler who hears anything about it might easily get the impression that it's an unfriendly, anti-foreigner climate and something he simply doesn't want to get caught up in.

Do you really think that any tourist will stay away, because of the fact that they might need to show their passport?

Most likely a majority of the tourists didn't hear anything about this rule in their home country, which is not new either and was always in force already!

Even if they did hear the fact that they might be asked to identify themselves while on holiday in Thailand, do you really think this is a reason to not book a holiday to Thailand?

Get real!

At the end of the day, (this has been said time and time again about the visa situation) get the correct visa for your purpose.  Good on them for enforcing this as you wouldn't get away with it in your own countries.  So while those who have done the wrong thing, are here on the wrong visas and now getting all stressed about what they should do.  The rest of us who did the right thing and are here on correct visas are now relaxed and enjoying the beaches and lifestyle.  To those who have done the wrong thing.... suck sh$t.  

I wouldn't need a visa for my own country, nor a passport. So this is not something I can get away with in my own country.

Are you really SO down on these people ? Suck Shit !!!  Another person who has never done anything wrong in his life.

And while those who have done the wrong thing, are here on the wrong visas and now getting all stressed about what they should do.  The rest of us who did the right thing and are here on correct visas are now relaxed and enjoying the beaches and lifestyle.  To those who have done the wrong thing.... suck sh$t.  

"The right thing"?! HA HA HA! The "right thing" is now determined by the undemocratic military junta. They can easily change "the right thing" for you too. So that you are not anymore able to do their new "right thing". You might relax and enjoy the beach for a while still but a lot of expat jobs in Thailand rely on tourists and new expats coming in.

Most potential farang, more pricey future condo owners for example are first long term tourist visa users and now that is no longer option. Good luck selling your condo to dirt poor Thais, earning on average 12800 Baht per month, 415 dollars. In most cases the values start to plummet with the increasing number of Thais. Importing luxury products in many cases rely in the expats who are now going elsewhere.

Edited by Timwin
  • Like 1

Good article and interesting that a big media organisation has picked up on the visa 'crackdown' (or whatever you want to call it).

That said, I'm not sure that there is any real 'new' info here we haven't already read on Thai Visa.

Still an interesting read for a Saturday morning

It's Sunday wai.gif

Thousands of foreigners living legally in Thailand are able to apply for work visas through their employers, or retirement visas if they are over 50 years old and can prove they have adequate finances. Others, particularly men, can live in the country on marriage visas.

These 3 categories of foreigners for whom Thailand offers "proper visas", namely - 1) expat workers with work visas 2) pensioners with retirement visas 3) others-men on marriage visas - seem simply don't cover the rest vast segment of foreign "property investors' who can definitely  be potential interesting for Thailand.

How can a non thai buy a house here, pray tell

And while those who have done the wrong thing, are here on the wrong visas and now getting all stressed about what they should do.  The rest of us who did the right thing and are here on correct visas are now relaxed and enjoying the beaches and lifestyle.  To those who have done the wrong thing.... suck sh$t.  

"The right thing"?! HA HA HA! The "right thing" is now determined by the undemocratic military junta. They can easily change "the right thing" for you too. So that you are not anymore able to do their new "right thing". You might relax and enjoy the beach for a while still but a lot of expat jobs in Thailand rely on tourists and new expats coming in.

Most potential farang, more pricey future condo owners for example are first long term tourist visa users and now that is no longer option. Good luck selling your condo to dirt poor Thais, earning on average 12800 Baht per month, 415 dollars. In most cases the values start to plummet with the increasing number of Thais. Importing luxury products in many cases rely in the expats who are now going elsewhere.

what a crock of shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, Many thais in Bangkok are buying up property in Pattaya, due to flooding in Bangkok ,wekend retreat,land cheaper etc etc. They dont earn  12,800 baht per month

• Like 1

Hi,

I have been regularly going to Thailand since the days of the easy Type O non immigrant visa from Hull,UK

The last few years I have been going on a 3 entry 6 month tourist visa.

I plan to go this september and want to buy  this 3 entry 6 month tourist visa before I go again.

Will this be fine for entering Thailand this year?

ps,I will have been back in UK for 4 months since my last visit to los in May.

Everyone that I have meet in real life that have bought a house or a condo for millions in a foreign country. They have first checked and make clear that they are allowed to stay and live in that country. Not first bought the house for millions and after that checked if they are allowed to stay in the house

Agreed but in Thailand many Farangs leave their brain at the airport.

And I see it doesn't matter if we bleat and whine about having just stayed for less than 30 days per visit, that we have been visiting just because we like Thailand. No, if we don't have one of the proper visas, like you do, then we are probably criminals, including myself, and anyone who has had more than one or two 30 day entry stamps per year should certainly be barred from entry...until they are able to obtain the proper visa...whatever that is. That includes me, I realize now I am no better than the excrement of a dog soiling the pristine pavements of this wonderful country.

Just to point out,
I don't have (or need) a VISA in Thailand.
  • Like 1

If the visa clampdown cleans up the sleazy end of Thai tourism I am all for it.

That's something that would be of benefit it's easy to see why some Thai's have a low opinion of Farangs, sex tourists and sexpats aren't exactly the best representatives of the western world. I think that's what TAT was trying to achieve by marketing to "quality tourists" they probably perceive anyone who doesn't wander around red light districts drunk in the middle of the day as a quality tourist.

Bangkok was ranked the world's most visited city with nearly 16 million people travelling to the Thai capital, ahead of London and Paris

sorry but London had 28 millions visitors and Paris 26 millions ..... I wonder where they got their information .

Never understood the draw to Bangkok anyway (well, for certain people, kitty and beer is all they think about) Personally I would MUCH rather spend my time visiting London or Paris than Bangkok anyday of the week, regardless of how much more expensive those cities are....I don't really find Bangkok has a whole lot of history either, the city is younger than New York, Philadelphia and even Boston....1782...I hate the smog, I hate the rush, I hate mostly everything about the godforsaken city, yet so many people love it....

and does he pay taxes in thailand?

A friend of mine is a writer type, contracts to all different companies, magazines etc. ALL of his work is done via the internet and as such can work anywhere with a fast connection - theoretically, He came to Thailand and decided on Cambodia because of the visa laws here. This is a guy who makes a lot of money and doesn't mind spending it. Thailand could have been in receipt of the money he fritters away on rent, cars, holidays and restaurants etc. No harm, no foul. Ridiculous.

and do they actually pay taxes while living in thailand? hmmm...

You DO NOT need to work in a country to make money while you stay there

MANY PEOPLE make money from the internet

But 90% of this forum is old people that have just learned the term "troll" so they think they are internet wise and can make comments based on a small minority of tourists that abuse the system

here is a new term for you OLD FARTS - its called a DIGITAL NOMAD - it is people that make money from the internet and enjoy traveling around the world. There is no available VISA for someone that makes money on the internet and enjoys Thailand - so either get married (NO THANKS), teach english for 600 dollars a month (NO THANKS) or leave the country

Great thinking 

Hi,

I have been regularly going to Thailand since the days of the easy Type O non immigrant visa from Hull,UK

The last few years I have been going on a 3 entry 6 month tourist visa.

I plan to go this september and want to buy  this 3 entry 6 month tourist visa before I go again.

Will this be fine for entering Thailand this year?

ps,I will have been back in UK for 4 months since my last visit to los in May.

Yes. Triple entry visa is good for up to 270 days in country, when each entry is extended 30 days. For 180 days you can use dual entry with extensions.

Edited by paz

and does he pay taxes in thailand?

A friend of mine is a writer type, contracts to all different companies, magazines etc. ALL of his work is done via the internet and as such can work anywhere with a fast connection - theoretically, He came to Thailand and decided on Cambodia because of the visa laws here. This is a guy who makes a lot of money and doesn't mind spending it. Thailand could have been in receipt of the money he fritters away on rent, cars, holidays and restaurants etc. No harm, no foul. Ridiculous.

No, how can he and why would he, he lives in Cambodia. He would have paid taxes in Thailand but there's no process to pay taxes unless you own a company or are on a WP to a company. There is no "self employed" visa and he's independent, his money get's paid into his bank in China if I'm not mistaken but it might well be Hong Kong.My point is he cannot work in Thailand without non B plus WP etc and he cannot get that as he's an independent. He has nothing to do with any Thai company but he would have spent a lot of money here if he could have lived here, which he clearly cannot.

• Like 1

Bangkok was ranked the world's most visited city with nearly 16 million people travelling to the Thai capital, ahead of London and Paris

sorry but London had 28 millions visitors and Paris 26 millions ..... I wonder where they got their information .

Maybe from here

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/efik45iifi/most-visited-cities-in-the-world-2013-21/

or from here

http://insights.mastercard.com/position-papers/top-20-global-destination-cities-in-2013/

or from here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10083884/Bangkok-to-be-worlds-most-visited-city.html

or from here

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/worlds-visited-city/story?id=19321714

or from here

http://top10thebest.com/top-10-visited-cities-world/

and do they actually pay taxes while living in thailand? hmmm...

You DO NOT need to work in a country to make money while you stay there

MANY PEOPLE make money from the internet

But 90% of this forum is old people that have just learned the term "troll" so they think they are internet wise and can make comments based on a small minority of tourists that abuse the system

here is a new term for you OLD FARTS - its called a DIGITAL NOMAD - it is people that make money from the internet and enjoy traveling around the world. There is no available VISA for someone that makes money on the internet and enjoys Thailand - so either get married (NO THANKS), teach english for 600 dollars a month (NO THANKS) or leave the country

Great thinking 

How bout i ask you this.. do they provide ways for ppl who make money from the internet to pay taxes ? 

A friend of mine is a writer type, contracts to all different companies, magazines etc. ALL of his work is done via the internet and as such can work anywhere with a fast connection - theoretically, He came to Thailand and decided on Cambodia because of the visa laws here. This is a guy who makes a lot of money and doesn't mind spending it.

Seems like a Thail Elite card would suit him perfectly.