Which Thai person do you most respect?

squarethecircle

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My eldest daughter.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              She graduated pre-law from CMU, then went on to get a masters in international law from Chulalongkorn.                                                                                                  Recruited by a government ministry shortly after graduation, she recently qualified as a C-6 official at the age of thirty.                                                                                      "Love you more than I can say."  That was a smash hit song in Thailand around the time she was born.

Can you give us an idea of what C-6 means, like an equivalent US military rank, or level of responsibility?

My eldest daughter.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              She graduated pre-law from CMU, then went on to get a masters in international law from Chulalongkorn.                                                                                                  Recruited by a government ministry shortly after graduation, she recently qualified as a C-6 official at the age of thirty.                                                                                      "Love you more than I can say."  That was a smash hit song in Thailand around the time she was born.

I thought of asking you a question, but thought better of it...............

any Thai willing to stand up for what they perceive as an injustice in their country, any Thai willing to not tow the proverbial line....Any Thai who has some idea about the way the outside world works and doesn't believe Thailand is the center of the universe. Thai's who go out of their way to learn, learn anything....another language, geography, world history....Any Thai who knows I have a name other than "falang." Any Thai who shows an interest in other cultures and ways of life, any Thai that understands that not every country is perfect, including their own and there are still miles to go before things truly are fixed...Any Thai who during Songkran doesn't ask me "how do they celebrate Songkran in your country?" Any Thai who has gone to jail for having the courage to speak their mind freely...including Joe Gordon, GIles Ungpakorn and Grandpa SMS....Any Thai who has made a worldwide contribution to Science, Literature, Peace...etc.....oh wait, there aren't too many of those now are there?

Just to set the record straight, it was Uncle SMS. He did not go to jail for speaking his mind. A message deemed lese majeste was sent from his mobile - and it is generally felt that he lacked the knowledge of how to even answer the phone, let alone send a message. He died in prison.

Cheers.

any Thai willing to stand up for what they perceive as an injustice in their country, any Thai willing to not tow the proverbial line....Any Thai who has some idea about the way the outside world works and doesn't believe Thailand is the center of the universe. Thai's who go out of their way to learn, learn anything....another language, geography, world history....Any Thai who knows I have a name other than "falang." Any Thai who shows an interest in other cultures and ways of life, any Thai that understands that not every country is perfect, including their own and there are still miles to go before things truly are fixed...Any Thai who during Songkran doesn't ask me "how do they celebrate Songkran in your country?" Any Thai who has gone to jail for having the courage to speak their mind freely...including Joe Gordon, GIles Ungpakorn and Grandpa SMS....Any Thai who has made a worldwide contribution to Science, Literature, Peace...etc.....oh wait, there aren't too many of those now are there?

Just to set the record straight, it was Uncle SMS. He did not go to jail for speaking his mind. A message deemed lese majeste was sent from his mobile - and it is generally felt that he lacked the knowledge of how to even answer the phone, let alone send a message. He died in prison.

Cheers.

Eh, it may not have been him verbally speaking his mind but by sending the SMS he was using technology to express an opinion however people felt about that opinion and he was  jailed for it...

Overseas Thai's, for having the courage to leave their country, their comfort zone and their family

Ya and do you believe that when I mentioned expats moving to Thailand to retire were more interesting than the old fellows who stayed put in the nursing home in the West I caught all sorts of flack. 

• Like 2

The General and the Junta will get my support after he gets the visa situation settled and gets the army and police to do something about the countrys dreadful road fatalities.
It is all very well sitting around tables and going on about this visa and that visa.
Let them get out on the road and get the people responsible for the road carnage.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The General and the Junta will get my support after he gets the visa situation settled and gets the army and police to do something about the countrys dreadful road fatalities.
It is all very well sitting around tables and going on about this visa and that visa.
Let them get out on the road and get the people responsible for the road carnage.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Great point...

Thailand is the second most dangerous country in terms of road fatalities after Namibia, you would think that this would be an issue worth addressing right???

"Can you please help me? I have been in Thailand now awhile and I cannot seem to find my two friends common sense or foresight, it's like they just up and disappeared"

• Like 1

My Dr. Who called all over thailand to locate my medication that i m3eded badly. It wad after hours. Plus she wrote letters to explain the situation in Thai so that I could get it without Problems. And she called the next day to make sure I was ok.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes! Let's hear it for Dr. Who....

My eldest daughter. She graduated pre-law from CMU, then went on to get a masters in international law from Chulalongkorn. Recruited by a government ministry shortly after graduation, she recently qualified as a C-6 official at the age of thirty. "Love you more than I can say." That was a smash hit song in Thailand around the time she was born.

C6 at 30 you say? Your retirement is sorted then.

Gotta be the wife. The current one that is. Not that bitch but I'm not bitter last one.... but she was Laotian so no matter.

Yes, the incredibly young, awesomely talented and stunningly beautiful Mrs NL.

What's the Thai word for pedestal? (she's a short-arse and needs one to do the dishes).

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

Don't know how many in Chiang Mai might remember Ajarn Too who ran the restaurant on the ground floor of Hillside 4 years ago.   Was lucky to get to know him and he gave me a wonderful insight into what Thailand is.   He passed away a few years ago and I am sure missed by many.     

Posts containing comments on members of the Royal family have been removed.  Although the posts were not disrespectful, it would only be a matter of time until opposing views would be aired.

Sorry Met, ran out of 'likes'
Don't want too appear brown nosing but good moderating (and judging by the other 'likes', other people think so too).

Very much agreed. It's such a find line between it all going very wrong. Good call.

So most respected Thai person? Well, I work with loads and I have a lot of respect for my Thai staff team, they are a great bunch.

And then of course there is The Great Neverdie :-)

DA! who wrote the lyrics http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WJdPs68evDI

She's on at Hollandbeer param 2 on Tuesday. She's lost a bit of weight since this vid, unfortunately her lyrics are bland run of the mill string pap, and she is not a great singer. Still it starts at 8 if anyone want to go, beers good anyway.

Posts containing comments on members of the Royal family have been removed.  Although the posts were not disrespectful, it would only be a matter of time until opposing views would be aired.

And some very questionable posts have now been removed as well as the replies.  Treading on very thin ice.  

• Like 1