Muslim "Call to Prayer" (Noise)

hound

It was in the lawyer section here on TV a week or 2 ago

Found it: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/715237-noise-complaint/

Thanks monkeycountry

Actually that is not the one I was referring to, but suppose that one works too. The one I saw was more recent and also mentioned what time in the morning the noise could start again. I think it was 5 am, remember it was way too early imo smile.png

Edit: See you edited your post and also found the one I saw :-) Apparently 6 am not 5 am. Still too early for me smile.png

Edited by monkeycountry

Does something become more real if it has been imagined for a longer time or by more people? The Emperor's New Clothes spring to mind biggrin.png

Remember, a thousand plus years ago the religions you mention started just like Zigzagman's imaginary friend. One guy made it up, and the religion was not even 1 day old yet. Since then, not a single piece of evidence has been found to make either of those religions any more credible than Zigzagman's imaginary jet engine friend.

Replace those religions that the the majority of the population can believe in and sign up to instantaneously and we'll allow you you to do away with the old fads, until then, you'll need to sit down and observe.

With so many followers of Islam in Thailand, I doubt very much if any one would succeed in convincing either the mosque itself or the authorities to change current practice.

I found this article about how the Sri Lankan government,( which is also predominantly Buddhist ) virtually exempted call to prayer from their Noise Pollution Act and I suspect to avoid rocking the boat  a similar approach would be followed here as well.

http://peacelanka.blogspot.com/2007/09/noise-pollution-act-will-not-affect.html

Edited by Asiantravel

"WHAT ARE YOU ALL SAYING"
(Religion is real and i have the proof)
I have a small temple near the front gate of my house, every night before i go to bed
i put a bottle of whisky and a packet of cigaretts at the temple for the gods.
Every morning on my way to work i notice the whisky bottle is empty and quite
a mess at the front.
It doesent bother me as long as the gods are happy.
I just wish they were not so noisy.

Its a predominately Muslim area, people are 'invading' their space, not the other way 'round

You're partly correct in that the area east of the mosque and east of that section of Sukhumvit has a strong Muslim presence. However my house is west of the mosque and west of Sukhumvit and this area doesn't have a strong Muslim presence at all.

But even if it did I don't think that would justify suddenly increasing tenfold the volume of the call to prayer.

Those speakers weren't around a thousand years ago. 
Lets face it. It's a dumb idea that some numbskull dreamed up after electricity was invented.

it's indeed a dumb idea. i'm yearning for the old times when my wife used the harp and i played the fiddle every evening. now we are listening to a dumb stereo system ermm.gif

• Like 1

Lets face it. It's a dumb idea that some numbskull dreamed up after electricity was invented.

it's indeed a dumb idea. i'm yearning for the old times when my wife used the harp and i played the fiddle every evening. now we are listening to a dumb stereo system ermm.gif

How many other people do you force to listen to your dumb system at 5am every morning?

Never bothers me. All part of living in the "exotic East".

It is simply a question of bad luck on the part of the OP.Location, location, location. In Indonesia there was the ubiquitous mosque in the village I never heard a thing but one of my neighbors about 50m away seemed to be at the epicentre of everything and his whole house reverberated.

Also the higher you live the noisier it becomes as there is nothing to block or redirect the sound. It just goes straight up.

To repeat from my earlier post...

Things have changed at the mosque - so to complain is completely justified.

A month ago they either installed a new, much louder speaker system at the mosque or turned the old one up hugely.

For years the mosque was not a problem. Now it is.

For the OP and others - like me - to complain is perfectly reasonable.

That's just what happens in the UK, first it's a reasonable once a day at low volume, then several times and then they wind up the volume. People are intimidated about complaining due to the usual accusations. Church bells do not start at 5am and don't start up several times a day so that's not a fair comparison. The racket of the call to pray is just ghastly, and of course it's all in Arabic anyway.

Edited by jacky54

How many other people do you force to listen to your dumb system at 5am every morning?

the mornings in my home and area are very quiet. but after having lived years in islamic countries i somehow miss the morning prayer call which used to remind me to finish my coffee and drive to the office. as i am still getting up every day around 0400hrs i sometimes hear a faint prayer call during the "cool" season when the windows in my study are open.

personally i wouldn't mind a mosque nearby but of course i understand that some people are bothered. what i don't understand is useless complaining instead of facing the reality that prayer calls will not be abolished. the same applies to nose poking in public by some Thais which seems to irritate some colonial masters who disapprove of many ways how the natives behave.

[attachment=277909:L-dog.jpg]

• Like 1

To repeat from my earlier post...

Things have changed at the mosque - so to complain is completely justified.

A month ago they either installed a new, much louder speaker system at the mosque or turned the old one up hugely.

For years the mosque was not a problem. Now it is.

For the OP and others - like me - to complain is perfectly reasonable.

That's just what happens in the UK, first it's a reasonable once a day at low volume, then several times and then they wind up the volume. 

I find this rather hard to believe. You mean they start off with only one call to prayer rather than the mandatory five? Which one? Do they deliberately choose one that won't irritate the neighbours?

I think what jacky is saying is that they play the nice guy in the begining "foot in the door"
then once in, take the piss.
The most anoying is the first call at 4 then the last at about 7:30.
Fridays is a scream fest starting at 11am then again at 5pm.
Ramadan i am in thailand.
In Indonesia its not just the Mosque that use the big trumpet every single house does
it too, "in Java" the whole place vibrates (not the house) the enviroment.

Is somebody being torn apart limb by limb or are they holding a religious service I wonder?

http://youtu.be/v3jNZvlOLsA

From the sound of that video, I assume someone needs to see a dentist quickly if the pain is that bad.

• Like 1

It looks as though the post removal and warning rate says it all on this subject, I'm dissapointed that so many posters are so intolerant of anything that is related to another religion.

I don't think anyone cares if the noise comes from a disco or a mosque. However, some people seem to think the mosque should get special treatment because it is religion related. There is nothing in the Quran about loudspeakers (an educated guess), and as someone already mentioned, everyone has a watch/phone these days, so those who want to pray, will know when it is time to do so. Hence the "call to prayer" serves absolutely no purpose, and should be stopped, or at least toned down to a level that does not bother anyone.

In some western countries, mosques and minarets are allowed, but "call to prayer" is banned. Yet the muslims still manage somehow to find the mosque and show up for prayer.

Basically religion is a private matter, and should not be forced upon anyone else in any way. It does not matter if it is meat at the supermarket, noise from the mosque or whatever it is.

Its a predominately Muslim area, people are 'invading' their space, not the other way 'round

Sorry, I was not aware the area was their space. If this is the case, then the law and common sense should of course not apply.

What noise control laws & common sense apply for religious ceremonies in Thailand? When I lived in East Pattaya there was a Wat that regularly pumped out very loud chanting & music.

As I said earlier a polite approach, with a few Thais, to the mosque may work, unlikely but you never know.

Edited by simple1

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Another post removed

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

• Like 1

I am surprised that a religion with so much stuff attached to it, with a vast following, don't know the times when stuff must be done, and so the use of electronic stuff is needed.. facepalm.gif

reason for the prayer calls is that the timing of "doing the stuff" changes every day.

To calculate prayer times two astronomical measures are necessary, the declination of the sun and the difference between clock time and sundial clock. This difference being the result of the eccentricity of the earth's orbit and the inclination of its axis, it is called the Equation of time. The declination of the sun is the angle between sun's rays and the equator plan.

In addition to the above measures, to calculate prayer times for a specific location we need its spherical coordinates.

for this lesson you owe me a free top notch SU carburetor tuning! laugh.png

And you really believe that there is anyone in Thailand capable of doing this procedure?

Or even undrestanding it.

I am surprised that a religion with so much stuff attached to it, with a vast following, don't know the times when stuff must be done, and so the use of electronic stuff is needed.. facepalm.gif

reason for the prayer calls is that the timing of "doing the stuff" changes every day.

To calculate prayer times two astronomical measures are necessary, the declination of the sun and the difference between clock time and sundial clock. This difference being the result of the eccentricity of the earth's orbit and the inclination of its axis, it is called the Equation of time. The declination of the sun is the angle between sun's rays and the equator plan.

In addition to the above measures, to calculate prayer times for a specific location we need its spherical coordinates.

And you really believe that there is anyone in Thailand capable of doing this procedure?

Transam can, you're new here I can tell.

[quote name="chiang mai" post="8204831" timestamp="1407293081"][quote name="for real" post="8204801" timestamp="1407292662"] [quote name="Naam" post="8193138" timestamp="1407069994"] [quote name="transam" post="8192051" timestamp="1407053012"]I am surprised that a religion with so much stuff attached to it, with a vast following, don't know the times when stuff must be done, and so the use of electronic stuff is needed.. facepalm.gif[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Transam can, you're new here I can tell.[/quote]
Just drive down to the nearest Mosque they should be able to "TUNE" the carb
make it sound real loud...