Coming to the end of the visa run - local language schools may suffer most

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"These prophets of doom have no idea how resilient the local economy and the people are. Just because layabouts in the nanny states  are on the dole in ever increasing numbers when some hiccup occurs in those economies, it's assumed everyone is going to roll over and die  here if  skint farangs on over-stay are rooted out and otherwise unemployable border runners (aka economic refugees) have to become a burden to some other country."

Yes but you're assuming they're going to be smart about how they go about this. I predict they won't and it will remain a hub of sexpats, crims, etc. Though I met some in Laos that had already fled Thailand, maybe Laos will give them the boot too and they'll be stuck in Cambodia.

Most school don't report proper taxes therefor the paperwork will never be good enough for them to apply for a WP.

Yep. It's all about that. Language schools and teacher placement agencies blame Immigration and Labour. Not true. Those businesses simply don't want to submit the correct and accurate balance papers and accountant's statements.
  • Like 1

Personally I think this is a good thing. The so called education system in Thailand is a sham. The rorting and pillaging of the money allocated to education, is shown in the poor standard of English speaking pursuantI to money 'invested' then robbed, has come home to roost.

A job will go to a western unqualified person, before it is given to another who has a teaching degree, a good command of English and extensive teaching experience. Then they ask why are we not getting results. So far as Visas and WP go, they should be the responsibility of the school do ing the hiring (or agency as the case may be). But a bond or reimbursement for the teacher after they have done a probation period/
I have not even covered the appalling attitude of Thais towards other foreign Asians who bring English skills to the classroom.
  • Like 2

Who or what is  Spectrum Agencies who apparently wrote this piece ?

Not sure, but there is a printed newspaper in Thailand, which cannot be linked to here, which has a section called "Spectrum" in its Sunday edition, in which I just finished reading this article word-for-word over a nice iced mocha coffee.

“I know they are trying to crack down on people working here illegally, but why would Western people work here illegally? The average wage in Australia is around A$25-30 (750-900 baht) per hour,’’ he said,

I know a good few EFL teachers that don't have degrees or WP's that earn more than that teaching privately.

• Like 1

my understanding of the work permit is the permit is where you work and who you work for.

If you work for a language school teaching corporate and teach at 5 different companies, mostly in the evenings twice

a week you're going to need 5 work permits in order to do that.

The work permit has to involve  making a certain amount of money and those that teach corporate do know that it's

really a part time job, it doesn't add up to the money or hours one would rack up teaching full time at a public or private school.

It's not that maybe the language schools will suffer, they will!

• Like 1

It is time that Thai kicked out all the low end farangs skiving off the country. good riddance to them

and its the farangs fault that Thai schools won't do the necessary paperwork to get work permits? I don't think so ....

• Like 2

Thai schools want farang teachers for teaching English and other languages because they cannot find qualified Thai people for teaching foreign languages. They want to emplay foreigners but do not provide the necessary work permit. This is illegal, responsibility of the employer to get a work permit for his employee. It is not only illegal in Thailand, it is illegal in every Western country. So the police must fine the schools, not the employees.

The actual situation will result in a sharp drop of foreign teachers in Thailand when this continues like it is at the moment. 

“The school says the cost [of obtaining a permit] is high and it will be an investment risk on their part to provide paperwork for us when there is such a high turnover of English-language teachers in Thailand.”  Then they shouldn't be in the language school business.

Yes, because English-Language schools should have high costs and high tuition rates to exclude the poor!

Personally I don't see any good about these local language schools. It is not that the English proficiency of the locals have improved significantly with their presence. They are just hot nests for illegal employment.

• Like 1

If the government is interested in keeping English teachers then perhaps they should set up their own division instead of relying on agencies to supply labor to schools. Why not have the school deputy sight incoming teachers work permits and visas. The whole system has failed with little or no checking in place. At the same time how about developing a national English curriculum so students and teachers have a standardised framework. Poor teacher retention rates, unqualified teachers, working illegally, low English literacy. Appalling.

• Like 1