Where to keep the money for condo?

I will be buying a condo soon, and I want to bring in like 40000 usd to Thailand, but I dont want to keep it in the bank, I have read some bank scams etc...

is there a place you can keep a money safe? like a bank box or something, I do not want to convert it to THB prior being certain that I will buy a condo

also this will be ok to just declare at airport and then use the money with a declaration to buy condo?

why not give it to your gf.for safe keeping that way you wont get scammed.w00t.gif

why wont you put it into a short term account and earn some interest,i don't know were you got the bank might scam you from.

you know you have to declare this amount at arrival[customs] which could get tricky.

get yourself a thai bank acc.bangkok bank has a branch in the usa.then u can use them to send it to Thailand asumeing you can open one here with the same bank.you will have to declare what the money is for and I don't think you will get a better exchange rate than the telex transfer rate here in Thailand.

I would suggest you don't bring the money in until you are sure you're going to buy?

If you're not converting it to Baht there is no point; is there?

Leave it in the States, earn interest, then when you're sure transfer it directly to a Thai bank.

It only takes 1 working day for most transfers so you can do it just before you buy and don't risk any "scams" that you're worried about (not sure what they are) as the money won't be in the bank long enough :-)

Also, not sure about a declaration at the Airport as this may raise some concerns particularly if you're thinking of bring in cash?!

A bank transfer provides the necessary paperwork to buy the condo and also to remit the money back to the States in future years if required.

• Like 1

I will be buying a condo soon, and I want to bring in like 40000 usd to Thailand, but I dont want to keep it in the bank, I have read some bank scams etc...

is there a place you can keep a money safe? like a bank box or something, I do not want to convert it to THB prior being certain that I will buy a condo

also this will be ok to just declare at airport and then use the money with a declaration to buy condo?

You dont want to keep the money in the bank? Sounds a bit fishy to me....

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

OP, because you seem to be a very good person and also an American, I'm willing to help you keep your money safe.

Start transferring the money to my account and when you need them to buy the condo, you can have them back.

Trust me.........nothing can go wrong, you are so right not trusting the Thai Banks.

• Like 1

OP, because you seem to be a very good person and also an American, I'm willing to help you keep your money safe.

Start transferring the money to my account and when you need them to buy the condo, you can have them back.

Trust me.........nothing can go wrong, you are so right not trusting the Thai Banks.

don't trust cost-as.me being a Welshman I have looked after my money since a child.now I have grown up I was able to buy a house,a car,a bike and yes I don't have money in a thai bank.in fact I don't have sweet fanny adams the wife has it all for safe keepingcheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

why not give it to your gf.for safe keeping that way you wont get scammed.w00t.gif

why wont you put it into a short term account and earn some interest,i don't know were you got the bank might scam you from.

you know you have to declare this amount at arrival[customs] which could get tricky.

get yourself a thai bank acc.bangkok bank has a branch in the usa.then u can use them to send it to Thailand asumeing you can open one here with the same bank.you will have to declare what the money is for and I don't think you will get a better exchange rate than the telex transfer rate here in Thailand.

"...you have to declare this amount at arrival[customs] which could get tricky."

No reason for to think declaring foreign currency would be tricky, there is no limit on the amount of foreign currency that can be brought into Thailand.  Amounts over 20,000USD have to be declared.

must be a cheap condo.    $40,000?

did op say a gf is involved?

"must be a cheap condo.    $40,000?"                So what if it is?

"did op say a gf is involved?"                               You can't read, can you?

If you want to take it back out then you had better transfer it to a Thai bank so that you can get a Foreign Exchange Certificate.  If you don't care about ever repatriating the money then you can transfer it directly to the condo owner for payment

I think you are being foolish if you are going to be paranoid about trusting a Thai bank because of these supposed "bank scams" that you read about, especially if you are going to be living here 

• Like 1

Yes you want a record (and paperwork) for the transfer. SWIFT it in to a Thai bank. Get the official form you need for repatriating the money. Report as needed on FBAR form to U.S. government, etc. IF you are American. 

Edited by Jingthing

Afraid of bank scams and afraid to convert to Thai baht until he's sure, are you sure you're really suited to living here?

The fact is that several of the banks in Thailand are far safer than many in the West, UOB has branches here and is frequently listed in the top fifteen safest banks in the WORLD.

Bank of Ayudhya on the other hand is owned by Bank Mitusbishi in Japan and has assets of over USD 2.5 TRILLION.

If you can't feel safe banking with either of those banks, you wont feel safe banking with any bank.

A foreigner can only buy a condo in Thailand if he can produce a certificate from a Thai bank to prove he has shipped in the money from overseas.

If you bring the money in as cash, you can't buy a condo with it.

Wrong, you can buy anything you want in Thailand without a certificate, you just can't take the money back out without one

Thai buy high price items all the times with cash,including condos and other property,  this is a cash society, and money is number one 

A foreigner can only buy a condo in Thailand if he can produce a certificate from a Thai bank to prove he has shipped in the money from overseas.

If you bring the money in as cash, you can't buy a condo with it.

Wrong, you can buy anything you want in Thailand without a certificate, you just can't take the money back out without one

Thai buy high price items all the times with cash,including condos and other property,  this is a cash society, and money is number one

Thai can, foreigner can't.
The land office won't register the condo in a foreigner name without the money transfer certificate.

Afraid of bank scams and afraid to convert to Thai baht until he's sure, are you sure you're really suited to living here?

The fact is that several of the banks in Thailand are far safer than many in the West, UOB has branches here and is frequently listed in the top fifteen safest banks in the WORLD.

Bank of Ayudhya on the other hand is owned by Bank Mitusbishi in Japan and has assets of over USD 2.5 TRILLION.

If you can't feel safe banking with either of those banks, you wont feel safe banking with any bank.

how can you be such a smart person, just google few forum topics where the accounts were emptied from thai banks and the falang owners was not even in Thailand that time, they suspect workers of the bank, that does not happen in europe, i would say, more in Thailand, where the scam rate is much higher

The foreigner can use the customs declaration for that purpose, the rules only stipulate that the money must come from outside Thailand and the customs declaration satisfies that requirement.

so one is saying custom declaration is enough, another guy is saying it is not.....who to believe??

The foreigner can use the customs declaration for that purpose, the rules only stipulate that the money must come from outside Thailand and the customs declaration satisfies that requirement.

so one is saying custom declaration is enough, another guy is saying it is not.....who to believe??

The other poster is guessing, again, it is a fact that a Customs declaration meets this need.