First Trink, then Stickman, who’s next?

WorriedNoodle

Political correctness aside, some of us (others who object or dont know can start their own thread!) over the decades have enjoyed a weekly smorgasbord of titillating trivia and occasionally thoughtful points about the goings on in and around Bangkok and other Thai tourist ghettos.

First there was Trink and then Stickman helped fill a small void of information with useful and useless facts to scan through over the weekend and relax over. A bit like watching a Coronation Street omnibus, irrelevant, nothing serious and enough to send you to sleep or relax after a hard week at the office.

Much like Trinks massage parlour recommendations for a good soapie with all the trimmings, from visa issues to b-jobs Stickman covers the lot and fills his blog with tarty looking girls of the week for which I am very grateful in this day and age.

So the question is, now he is leaving early next year, who is going to fill the space?

Edited by CharlieH

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually Stickman was talking to leave thailand for few years already, he was just keep delaying his departure.

I remember and love this sentence, something like that: "don't forget to leave thailand before it's too late"

I understand Stickman, we did move to thailand, when it was a great and real exciting place to live.

I have really great fond memory of bkk few years ago, now its completely fade, tasteless ... wish him good luck too!

funny thread about stickman, 10 years ago, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/18923-will-stickman-leave-thailand-soon/

and i was in my twenty.... luckily i will never be backsmile.png

• Like 1

Ill be sad to see stickman's weekly go. Will be the end of an era (without meaning to sound melodramatic!) for me in some ways since he arrived in Thailand about same time as my first job here and then I left and came back again a few years ago but i have followed his column over the years.

It should be a very lucrative website given the advertising and his readership with a good potential for more monetization - Stickman's Bar (i'd be willing to invest in that)!. I guess he is thinking of the future and wants his kids in future to go to decent schools (not having an expat package here in Thailand).

• Like 1

Things are changing fast here since the army took over...........but i can see nothing detrimental to these changes so far.The good general comes across on camera very well and their TV station english sub titles are good.

i post this comment only assuming this guy stickman is seeing a different "wind of change" than i am.

Go to any bar on Soi Buakow in Pattaya and you will find a hundred boring old farts spouting exactly the same pointless prattle that Trink and Stickman have been spouting for years.

Personally I am glad they are both leaving as that way I am much less likely to come across their inanities by accident.

It's not what he says, rather the way he says it.

He is looking for a multiple of what its worth.

The website will not survive without him so it will be very hard to sell unless some sucker falls for it. He has been trying to find a buyer for several years but so far no luck.

L

Edited by lingnoi34
  • Like 1

I like the 1990s html look of the site. It's easy on the eye and is cool in a retro way.

I always thought the girl of the week feature was borderline trollish. Many of them look like cheap tarts that I wouldn't touch with a stick, and there's even been a ladyboy.

I'll miss the parts of the site that I like though, mainly the weekly column, reader's email roundup, and reader's essays. Couldn't care less about the nightlife section.

I think content-wise someone could pull it off to take over the site, especially if it's a phased takeover where he still contributes for 1-2 years while the new guy proves his worth. A big impediment, however, is that it's seen as a sex website by Google so he can't get regular advertising. Personally I'd be happy to pay a small amount to subscribe, provided the content is there, but all said I can see why people aren't jumping to take over the site.

Edited by sundrenched

Yes but they, like you, will pass their time in Thailand and be forgotten - Trink has left a mark of the language of expats in Thailand that will remain long after he is pushing up the daisies.

I suspect too, that in years to come when time and attitudes make their full circle, the record that Trink has made of Thailand's nightlife in the period upto the 90s will become a valuable historical and sociological resource.

Possibly. But to me it all just seems like the ramblings of an inebriate.

He often described one well known 'club' owner, actually a tacky brothel, as a 'gentleman' when actually he was a pool shark and then no better than a pimp who involved himself in shady dealings, ........

Compared to many expats (and locals) here the club owner does indeed sound like a perfect gentleman.

He often described one well known 'club' owner, actually a tacky brothel, as a 'gentleman' when actually he was a pool shark and then no better than a pimp who involved himself in shady dealings, ........

Compared to many expats (and locals) here the club owner does indeed sound like a perfect gentleman.

He was a criminal, hopefully not many expats get up to what he did.

Go to any bar on Soi Buakow in Pattaya and you will find a hundred boring old farts spouting exactly the same pointless prattle that Trink and Stickman have been spouting for years.

Personally I am glad they are both leaving as that way I am much less likely to come across their inanities by accident.

And what pointless prattle would that be? Like you would have any idea but what the heck have a crack at answering a question that belies your real intent of bashing without content but I'm willing to be proven wrong. Specifics remember the devil is in the details...

• Like 1

I don't know the man but agree with the above and add I noticed a difference that seemed to have something to do with his woman and then she was gone. I used to read him weekly but stopped when he jumped on the anti punter bandwagon.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

I like the 1990s html look of the site. It's easy on the eye and is cool in a retro way.

I always thought the girl of the week feature was borderline trollish. Many of them look like cheap tarts that I wouldn't touch with a stick, and there's even been a ladyboy.

I'll miss the parts of the site that I like though, mainly the weekly column, reader's email roundup, and reader's essays. Couldn't care less about the nightlife section.

I think content-wise someone could pull it off to take over the site, especially if it's a phased takeover where he still contributes for 1-2 years while the new guy proves his worth. A big impediment, however, is that it's seen as a sex website by Google so he can't get regular advertising. Personally I'd be happy to pay a small amount to subscribe, provided the content is there, but all said I can see why people aren't jumping to take over the site.

the sex content iswhat i go to stickman for..................lol. Bacara has banned girl from using phones in the bar, for ex, i learned from reading his column. Thing is i never noticed overuse of phones in baccara.

Go to a Rainbow some girls do nothing but play with their phones.