Russian tourism departures and arrivals are down from a third to half

sojourner007

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Russians are fun to watch (often eye candy city the men and the women) but when any ONE demographic dominates (as the Russians have in Pattaya/Jomtien) especially in high season, it makes the area less interesting. More diversity is always better. I am looking forward to increased Chinese presence ... as their FOOD is so much BETTER than Russian food (which is incredibly BORING).

but I don't care about the food JT... russian gals in general are just more lookie lookie than chinese...thumbsup.gif

Edited by Swiss1960
  • Like 1

It looks like the Russians are ramping up a response to the new sanctions imposed by the EU/US... Get ready for longer flights and higher prices to fly to Asia from the EU...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/05/us-ukraine-crisis-russia-airlines-idUSKBN0G50DL20140805

(Reuters) - Russia may restrict or ban European airlines from flying over Siberia on busy Asian routes, a newspaper reported on Tuesday, following Western sanctions which have grounded one Russian carrier and a billionaire's private jet.

The Russian business daily Vedomosti quoted unnamed sources as saying the foreign and transport ministries were discussing possible action which might force EU airlines into long and costly detours and put them at a disadvantage to Asian rivals.

The daily quoted one source as saying a ban could cost carriers including Lufthansa, British Airways and Air France 1 billion euros ($1.3 billion) over three months. Restrictions would lead to longer flights, higher fuel use and other additional costs.

It looks like the Russians are ramping up a response to the new sanctions imposed by the EU/US... Get ready for longer flights and higher prices to fly to Asia from the EU...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/05/us-ukraine-crisis-russia-airlines-idUSKBN0G50DL20140805

The Russian business daily Vedomosti quoted unnamed sources as saying the foreign and transport ministries were discussing possible action which might force EU airlines into long and costly detours and put them at a disadvantage to Asian rivals.

The daily quoted one source as saying a ban could cost carriers including Lufthansa, British Airways and Air France 1 billion euros ($1.3 billion) over three months. Restrictions would lead to longer flights, higher fuel use and other additional costs.

And the EU response then may be banning Russian planes from overflying Europe. EU ordinary folks are probably sick and tired of rude Russian tourists just like we are here in Pattaya. Good times are coming perhaps...

• Like 2

The only real problem with upsetting Russia is that several EU countries have become largely dependent on Russian-controlled energy supplies, notably the piped natural gas, thanks to long-term deals negotiated by their pea-brained governments. Quite what insanity drove them to trust Russians at all is beyond me.

Err, necessity, the EU has no choice than to purchase 30% of natural gas supplies from Russia. In Germany's case, 60% of their oil an 30% of their gas comes from Russia... Who do you think Merkel will side with when push comes to shove? Like I said elsewhere, it's going to be a cold, cold winter in the EU...

Russians are fun to watch (often eye candy city the men and the women) but when any ONE demographic dominates (as the Russians have in Pattaya/Jomtien) especially in high season, it makes the area less interesting. More diversity is always better. I am looking forward to increased Chinese presence ... as their FOOD is so much BETTER than Russian food (which is incredibly BORING).

Be careful what you wish for. You haven't seen rude till you've seen the Chinese tourists en masse in action. They make the Russians seem like the height of politeness. Seen them in action in Macau & Hong Kong acting like they own the places (which, er, actually they now do). Mass pushing plus plenty of spitting onto the streets. A most unpleasant combination.

I am hoping for more INDEPENDENT traveler Chinese tourism. I am really starting to see that A LOT MORE. I agree Chinese tour groups are scary!

• Like 1

Be careful what you wish for. You haven't seen rude till you've seen the Chinese tourists en masse in action. They make the Russians seem like the height of politeness. Seen them in action in Macau & Hong Kong acting like they own the places (which, er, actually they now do). Mass pushing plus plenty of spitting onto the streets. A most unpleasant combination.

I am hoping for more INDEPENDENT traveler Chinese tourism. I am really starting to see that A LOT MORE. I agree Chinese tour groups are scary!

I thank you for your feedback and sincerely hope that you are right. I live in the UK in a city with a lot of Chinese students and a lot of the girls are absolute stunners and seemingly very wealthy (wealthy parents, I imagine). Plenty of designer clothes and jewellery. If these are the type of tourists we get in Thailand that would be great.

The only real problem with upsetting Russia is that several EU countries have become largely dependent on Russian-controlled energy supplies, notably the piped natural gas, thanks to long-term deals negotiated by their pea-brained governments. Quite what insanity drove them to trust Russians at all is beyond me.

Dont worry ,in Britain windmills will save everyone ,the govt says so.

(Are they worried that someone will shoot them down on the way out?)

We're in the middle of the Russian summer. It's too soon to predict any effect on Russian tourism to Pattaya. It's quite possible that the drop from "a third to half" won't have a big effect on budget travel locations such as Pattaya.

Edited by tropo

For those expats living on their meagre pensions, slurping on beer in the el cheapo bars and continually whining about the cost of living in Pattaya then this is probably welcome news. But there are also expats running businesses, and in many instances just surviving, who depend on Russian customers.

There is obviously considerable prejudice expressed on this forum concerning Russians and it surprises me that the moderators allow it. From my short experience in Pattaya Russian tourists are no better or worse, behaviour wise, than the British, Aussies or Europeans.

Just wait till the Chinese start buying up the place to accommodate the millions of tourists who will visit from China. Then some of you will really have a reason to cry into your beer!

Russians have a tendency to be extremely inconsiderate of other people's need for space on baht buses and yes, I would know. Yes, worse than any other noticeable nationality I have ever encountered here. There is room for 5 or even 6 on one side and commonly 3 of them will sprawl out and hog the entire side and be unwilling to move when you board. On several occasions, I just SIT on them. No other way. They look shocked as if they hadn't even considerred they were supposed to make space. Probably Russians would admit to this too. You can't not notice. How would you know, only being here a short time?

BTW, I do have some positive news. I thought that sitting on Russians might result in them punching me. So far, that hasn't happened. They are shocked and do grumble, but so far no assaults, so good on them!

So far the independent Chinese tourists I have encountered on baht buses have been a pleasure to mix with. They even seem to want to talk to non-Chinese strangers if they are able.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Yes I agree re the independent Chinese travellers. They are different to the package Chinese tourists who are starting to discover Thailand. I experienced many of them in Chiang Mai recently. It's also currently happening where I live in a Queensland (Australia) seaside tourist city. I watch the tour coaches arrive at my favourite beach, they buy their fish and chips or other seafood and before long the wrappings are being thrown on the ground or even in the water, they spit anywhere and cough their lungs up while smoking and then discarding their butts anywhere. I can see this beginning to happen in Pattaya and, in my opinion, they will make the Russians look good in comparison. Anyway that's my thoughts.

• Like 1

Funny, I never used to appreciate the Chinese tourists. Now, that I have been exposed to so many Russians, I am finding the Chinese to be delightful. Much friendlier, much more joyous, much more fun to be around. Quite passionate, fun loving, light hearted compared to the Russians, and less obtrusive. Also, the language is more pleasant to listen to. The Russians made me appreciate the Chinese!

Spidermike

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 2

I do find them aggressive and rude...but their money is needed in Pattaya.....but then do they spend much? Always see them walking around with a big bottle of Chang in hand, can't say I ever see them in bars !

I was told by some bar owners, in Pattaya, that they feel some bars will have to close, as a result of the proliferation of Russian AND Chinese tourism. Very few visit the bars. Most Russians drink more than the Chinese. And very few drink in bars. Most go to 7/11 or the supermarket, and buy beer, or vodka, and either drink in their rooms, or on the beach. And very, very few bar fine. Very few. So, where does that leave the bars when the numbers of those two groups are ever increasing? Not sure what your take on it is, but seems to be the whole bar scene in both Phuket and Samui seems to be in a steady state of decline. Samui has dropped off dramatically. They are trying to make the place into a family destination. Seems about the same as normal in Pattaya, though a lot of the bar owners are complaining that things are very slow. Seems about the same as normal in Bangkok too, though the talent is declining. Hua Hin seems to be the only place where the bar scene is actually getting better. The bar scene absolutely sucks in Chiang Mai. But, that may have always been the case.

Spidermike

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect