Summary Report: Just back from Lao, received 2nd ED Visa

Nolak - Im in a similar spot to you so I have a few questions:

What school were you at for the first 3 years?

Is this new ED visa back at this same school?

Is there not a restriction on the number of years you can study Thai and/or at one school? Was this not mentioned to you by anyone?

Nolak - Im in a similar spot to you so I have a few questions:

What school were you at for the first 3 years?

Is this new ED visa back at this same school?

Is there not a restriction on the number of years you can study Thai and/or at one school? Was this not mentioned to you by anyone?

Hi Dave,

On my pervious ED Visa I went to the most popular chain school in Chiang Mai (not naming names) the first year and Pro Language the 2nd 2 years. Pro Language's teaching style and environment was a better fit for my personal learning style. To each their own. I now live in the south and am registered at a school in Hua Hin that was recommended by my neighbor. As for current restriction on years, like you I read and hear all sorts of rules, but have no first hand knowledge so I will not ad to the confusion of the changing regulations. I can say that during my trip to Lao, no one mentioned the change. Of course the consulate and airport was very busy and loud. I think it is a conversation best had at both the immigration and the school of your choosing.

I hope it all works out for you.

Were you tested during any of those 3 years?

Funny... the same thing happened to me. A lady demanded a new photo upstairs! Photo Nazi tongue.png

I was told to go upstairs for a photo too, by an elderly lady. Had to wear a white shirt, another method for extracting more money.

Unfortunately, I think you have to do the trip again in mid October. Everybody has to now reapply after the next 3 month renewal date after 29th of August. My school started the paper work today for me. So if you just got your ED last month, you have to do the trip again late October.

sorry mate but after 3 years your thai sucks means either you aint trying or your teacher sucks

Really u are immersed in Thai, Tv Radio people around you

The funny thing about this comment is that is copied verbatim from another one on a similar subject yesterday.

Try to be fastidious with more originality a next time,

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I think you have to do the trip again in mid October. Everybody has to now reapply after the next 3 month renewal date after 29th of August. My school started the paper work today for me. So if you just got your ED last month, you have to do the trip again late October.

Just got the visa yesterday, but if that is the case it would be truly disappointing.

Edited by NolaK
  • Like 1

No, only people with a visa older than one year must renew it.

No, only people with a visa older than one year must renew it.

Thank you. I suspected as much, but as fast as things change here I just go and do what needs done. (My older sister is getting quite a kick out of me wanting desperately to turn 50.)

I was told to go upstairs for a photo too, by an elderly lady. Had to wear a white shirt, another method for extracting more money.

From my experience this is just common practice, even for Thais:

Students in photos for student related documents are always required to wear a white shirt...?

Edited by alex_4000

Just wondering why most people have the school do paperwork for them. Is it difficult or need to be written in Thai? I often see "free Ed visa with extended tuition" offered but in reality, what are they doing for you that is not free already? And why would the paperwork only be "started today" and not completed in fifteen minutes or an hour of however long it takes. Does it take days to complete? Weeks? Is there a minimum length of payed tuition that must be paid before applying for an ED? I am considering schools now and this information might be useful.

Thanks in advance.

Just wondering why most people have the school do paperwork for them. Is it difficult or need to be written in Thai? I often see "free Ed visa with extended tuition" offered but in reality, what are they doing for you that is not free already? And why would the paperwork only be "started today" and not completed in fifteen minutes or an hour of however long it takes. Does it take days to complete? Weeks? Is there a minimum length of payed tuition that must be paid before applying for an ED? I am considering schools now and this information might be useful.

Thanks in advance.

They sent the papers to ministry of education and it takes 2-3 weeks. The application needs school related officially approved papers, so you cannot just do it yourself.

sorry mate but after 3 years your thai sucks means either you aint trying or your teacher sucks

Really u are immersed in Thai, Tv Radio people around you

He is dyslexic perhaps, KO!

I know plenty of people who did Math(s) at school for 10 years who still can't add nor recite a 12x table.

Also being immersed!

I myself managed a few years of French schooling and only achieved 'useless', Je ne sais pas pourquoi.

The topic is really about getting a visa.

• Like 1

When and where in the States did you get a triple?

I got my triple a the Denver Consulate. Their was a great lady there who has apparently been working at that consulate for a long time. Unfortunately she was about to retire. I hope someone just as helpful and quick came in to replace her.

One thing I did not mention above was that I was not asked to show verification of funds at any point during my visa trip. That does not mean you should not be prepared, but I may have gone overboard. My son and his wife were asked to show 30k at Maesia the week before so I had cash, credit cards and bank books in hand. I do not feel particular safe traveling with it all in one place, then I was never asked. In addition the airport did not have any signs up, like Maesia does, warning travelers to expect to show the funds.

I went on Wednesday and had small queue but when i picked up passport on Thursday the queue from morning was in the 600 hundreds, so looks like i picked the right day, mine was like 100 people and i was 11th in line at 730am

• Like 1

Were you tested during any of those 3 years?

Funny... the same thing happened to me. A lady demanded a new photo upstairs! Photo Nazi tongue.png

Do they gave u white shirt?