Soi 5 Sukhumvit McDonald's.. Where Are All The Westerners?

Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere

To be honest I didn't know there is a McDonalds on Soi 5 but..

Well it is Soi 5! From Soi 7 to Soi 5 is not called Soweto Alley for nothing. Then there is the Soi 5 to Soi 3 and belong , well lets call it the Arab Quarter. Then again not all westerners fit your perception!

Well it is Soi 5! From Soi 7 to Soi 5 is not called Soweto Alley for nothing. Then there is the Soi 5 to Soi 3 and belong , well lets call it the Arab Quarter. Then again not all westerners fit your perception!

It's on the corner, Soi 5 and Sukhumvit.    It hasn't been open very long.

Never heard that stretch of Sukhumvit called that.  Is it referred to as that because of all the South Africans that go there?

Never heard that stretch of Sukhumvit called that.  Is it referred to as that because of all the South Africans that go there?

I think he's referring to an alleyway that runs parallel to Suk about 20 yds up, it runs from Soi 5 through to Soi 7 it's a bit rough walking through there.

I like the bar opposite the new McD's for a people watching beer. All life goes past! The area does have a large number of African chaps as well as Arabs and others, giving the area quite a special feel: I find smoking a hookah pipe with a cup of mint tea and a hummus and pitta bread on soi 3 is a thoroughly enjoyable experience - for an hour or so I can be transported to the Levant before returning to Thailand a short soi away. 

As to the lack of Westerners outside McD's on soi 5, there are lots of reasons: There is still a recession in much of Europe so less money for foreign holidays. Western tourists are quite squeamish about men with guns running countries. The Military Dictators are doing their very best to force out anyone who doesn't conform to the 'few days in Bangkok, week on the beach, few days in Chiang Mai looking at temples then piss off' model of tourist behaviour.

Also in my experience the August 'mini high season' tends to attract the youth and student flashpacker types from Europe/N.America who are coming to commune with the natives and eat Pad Thai rather than looking for an 'Arab experience' or the other more obvious attractions of lower Sukhumvit.

Have you seen the zoo of people that frequent that particular McDonalds? Someone failed to do proper due diligence.

Whilst I rarely eat McDonalds, unless I want to be propositioned by a street walker, transvestite or drug dealer...I prefer walk to Carl's Jr.

• Like 1