Has the 400,000k requirement changed?

wish I could...I will not be able to sleep until I get a semi official translation rather than my rough one.
How about Thai VIsa repaying some of our loyalty by getting one done quickly and posting it here george.

It is done but not ready for release yet. We are also waiting to get some answers from immigration to a few questions we have.

There are no changes that effect marriage or retirement extensions. Dependent extensions for OA visa entries will be possible.

If you are a professional football player you can get an extension now.

Minor issue, but one thing I noticed is for retirement extension income can be evidenced by, among other things, income from dividends. But for marriage extensions only pension income/bank interest and a few others are acceptable but not dividend income. 

So if you are at all abe to ask immigration, please ask why there is a lack of consistency between types of extensions and income evidence, and seondly why there is often discrepencies between the Thai language versions and the English langauge translations. 

There are no changes to the documents required they are exactly the same as before.

For income you get a income letter from your embassy and what you use to get it will depends upon what their requirement are. Immigration never asks where the income comes from.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it's listed as 2.32 For athletes or sports officials. But why isn't this just same as for employee? Did they really need a seperate category? 

Looking at it the documents required they are a lot different than for clause 2.1 plus the salary requirements are not the same. It is 40k baht minimum income and is not dependent upon what country the player is from.

I have a hunch that immigration have been gearing up for the new reason they say you need to state on the extension documents of "supporting Thai wife". This is the second year (extension done recently) where they stipulate what to write as the reason for the extension. This year they even have a rubber stamp : "supporting Thai wife"

Last year I was grilled extensively on my income, and how much I transferred into Thailand. I was asked for proof of internet banking, transfer docs and ATM receipts which were all cross checked against by Thai Bank. This despite having 400K in a separate account (in my name) fully seasoned and over 200K in daily Thai account.

Don't be surprised if the rules are amended formally to show a requirement that you are indeed supporting Thai wife on a monthly basis. Just having the 400k in the bank locked away, I suspect, will not be enough for the future. Watch this space.

Well it's easier to fake a bank deposit than it is to fake income. It would be strange if they did stop accepting bank deposits, as one year I had my income documents refused by immigration they only wanted to see bank deposit. Go figure.

If you intend to use your bank deposit as a means of getting a Non-O ‘Support Thai Wife’ visa AT AN IMMIGRATION OFFICE IN THAILAND, they require a letter from your bank (on the date of application or date day before) confirming the amount in YOUR bank account (its supposed to be YOUR sole bank account, not a joint account with the wife) with an ATM bank from the machine slip on the way to the immigration office to confirm the amount in the bank’s statement, so I’m not sure where you get the “Well it's easier to fake a bank deposit than it is to fake income”!   

• Like 1

I got my o visa from Hull a few months ago and this is what I was asked for

Copy marriage certificate

Copy of EITHER your wife’s Thai passport or her ID card – if ID card, front and back

Three months recent bank statements from you demonstrating you have a monthly income equivalent to a min of 65,000 baht (approx £1300).  Bank statements must show your name and address

Completed application form with photograph in top left corner

Copy of the photograph page of your passport

One very important thing to be aware of if you are in Thailand on "extension of stay" based on marriage or retirement is the requirement to obtain a re-entry permit before leaving Thailand. Failure to do this will result in the extension of stay being cancelled. Re-entry permits can be singular (1,900 THB) or multiple (3,900 THB)

wish I could...I will not be able to sleep until I get a semi official translation rather than my rough one.
How about Thai VIsa repaying some of our loyalty by getting one done quickly and posting it here george.

It is done but not ready for release yet. We are also waiting to get some answers from immigration to a few questions we have.

There are no changes that effect marriage or retirement extensions. Dependent extensions for OA visa entries will be possible.

Minor issue, but one thing I noticed is for retirement extension income can be evidenced by, among other things, income from dividends. But for marriage extensions only pension income/bank interest and a few others are acceptable but not dividend income. 

So if you are at all abe to ask immigration, please ask why there is a lack of consistency between types of extensions and income evidence, and seondly why there is often discrepencies between the Thai language versions and the English langauge translations. 

There are no changes to the documents required they are exactly the same as before.

For income you get a income letter from your embassy and what you use to get it will depends upon what their requirement are. Immigration never asks where the income comes from.

They have no need to as far as the UK is concerned, it is stated on the letter from the Embassy.

I have a hunch that immigration have been gearing up for the new reason they say you need to state on the extension documents of "supporting Thai wife". This is the second year (extension done recently) where they stipulate what to write as the reason for the extension. This year they even have a rubber stamp : "supporting Thai wife"

Last year I was grilled extensively on my income, and how much I transferred into Thailand. I was asked for proof of internet banking, transfer docs and ATM receipts which were all cross checked against by Thai Bank. This despite having 400K in a separate account (in my name) fully seasoned and over 200K in daily Thai account.

Don't be surprised if the rules are amended formally to show a requirement that you are indeed supporting Thai wife on a monthly basis. Just having the 400k in the bank locked away, I suspect, will not be enough for the future. Watch this space.

Well it's easier to fake a bank deposit than it is to fake income. It would be strange if they did stop accepting bank deposits, as one year I had my income documents refused by immigration they only wanted to see bank deposit. Go figure.

If you intend to use your bank deposit as a means of getting a Non-O ‘Support Thai Wife’ visa AT AN IMMIGRATION OFFICE IN THAILAND, they require a letter from your bank (on the date of application or date day before) confirming the amount in YOUR bank account (its supposed to be YOUR sole bank account, not a joint account with the wife) with an ATM bank from the machine slip on the way to the immigration office to confirm the amount in the bank’s statement, so I’m not sure where you get the “Well it's easier to fake a bank deposit than it is to fake income”!   

Replace the 'visa' with 'Extension' and you are correct. It is not possible to obtain a visa inside the country.

My interpretation of the 'fake' statement is that while one can borrow 400k to seed, it obviously cannot be done using income. Whether that is faking or not is questionable but it does allow a person with no income or funds of their own to qualify... (In fact there are shady companies offering this as a 'service'.)

This is what I am looking at (see attached file Thai language only)

www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=readmore&id=1921&section=notice

clause 2.18, top of Page 9, mentions bank deposit but no amount is specified. In case of husband is foreigner it only mentions they must have income of the 40k per mnth.

What is your source? what are you looking at?

Did you read the heading. Nov 2004.

I read the Thai language version (not the url) posted 25/07/2014 and effective from 29/08/2014 (I put a typo in an earlier post with the wrong date). This is the most up to date list of the requriements. Go back to sleep harry. 

If that is really the case I hope people who are already have extensions based on 400.000 in an account are allowed to keep doing it even after the rules change. (Grandfather clause) If not I (for one) would be back to doing Visa Runs again sad.png

If that is really the case I hope people who are already have extensions based on 400.000 in an account are allowed to keep doing it even after the rules change. (Grandfather clause) If not I (for one) would be back to doing Visa Runs again sad.png

I guess you didn't read any of my previous posts. There are no changes.

• Like 1

i was at the hua hin immigration yesterday.  the lady said for my next visa based on marriage i will need 400,000B in an account in only my name

and the money must be seasoned for 2 months.  i always thought it was three months, so questioned her, but she said 2 months was sufficient

can anyone confirm that it is 2 months and not 3 for seasoning please?

Yes I read them and also the posts contradicting that, thus that's why I said, "if that is really the case"

wai.gif

The rules for extensions of stay has not changed.

The embassy in London does a multiple entry non-o based upon marriage with no financial proof needed. You can apply in person or by post. 

You will need to leave the country every 90 days.with a visa.

If you got a one year extension you would just make 90 day reports to immigration.

You will not get a multiple entry visa or an extension of stay unless you are the legal father of your child by way of marriage or legitimization.

"You will not get a multiple entry visa or an extension of stay unless you are the legal father of your child by way of marriage or legitimization."

I have not found this to be true.

I just check the appropriate box when applying for the marriage non-o, pay the higher cost and get a multiple entry no problem.

​Note : Every Thai Consulate has it's idiosyncrasies. 

I know nothing about Thai Consulates in England. wai.gif 

i was at the hua hin immigration yesterday.  the lady said for my next visa based on marriage i will need 400,000B in an account in only my name

and the money must be seasoned for 2 months.  i always thought it was three months, so questioned her, but she said 2 months was sufficient

can anyone confirm that it is 2 months and not 3 for seasoning please?

Pattaya it is 2 months, my friend had confirmation from the Captain who is in charge for the Extension based on Marriage Desk in Jomtien.

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

an ATM bank from the machine slip on the way to the immigration office to confirm the amount in the bank’s statement

Do you mean that you were required to show a paper receipt of an ATM transaction that you had done on the same day of the extension of stay application?

By the way, there has never been a "400,000k" THB requirement. I think most people who have been living here would be shocked if there was as they would not qualify. Only members of the global elite could afford to show a minimum of 400M THB sitting in a Thai bank account.

Edited by hyperdimension
  • Like 1

Yes I read them and also the posts contradicting that, thus that's why I said, "if that is really the case"

wai.gif

I have a copy of a professionally done translation. There have been no changes done to the financial requirements. I pasted those into my earlier post from the copy I have.

an ATM bank from the machine slip on the way to the immigration office to confirm the amount in the bank’s statement

Do you mean that you were required to show a paper receipt of an ATM transaction that you had done on the same day of the extension of stay application?

By the way, there has never been a "400,000k" THB requirement. I think most people who have been living here would be shocked if there was as they would not qualify. Only members of the global elite could afford to show a minimum of 400M THB sitting in a Thai bank account.

I do wish people would check their posts BEFORE posting for any typo's they have made, 400MILLION Thai baht = about £7,407,407....

After going to the web site link madpat posted above, I read these rules, please don't shot the messenger ;-)

Category "O"

--------------------------

1) Married to a Thai national.

Evidence required:

a) Copy of Original Thai Marriage Certificate (front and back).

b) Copy of spouse’s Thai ID Card or Thai Passport showing married name.

c) Copy of latest 3 months Bank Statements (Thai or UK bank) showing regular income of minimum 65,000 baht (or equivalent in another currency) per month. Bank Statements must include name and address of visa applicant and address on Bank Statements must be same as on Visa Application Form. Please bear in mind that it may be necessary to check this information with the employer.

Either a single or multiple entry visa may be granted in these circumstances.

2) Visiting Thai child living in Thailand.

Evidence required

a) Birth Certificate of child showing relationship.

b) Proof of having Legal Custody of the child.

Please note that a child is regarded as an adult when attaining 20 years of age.

Either a single or multiple entry visa may be granted in these circumstances.

Am not married but have Thai child. Am I eligible?

Is this how the process works? Apply for tourist visa from outside of Thailand. Extend at immigration office in Thailand for 1 year, never having to leave the country and being able to fly in and out as I please

Which bank is best for this? Am not on any visa so not sure they would allow me to open account.

Queery. On a retirement Visa,did my 90 day check in to-day.Quick and simple

BUT have the required 400.000  plus in the bank in a working account, and top up from time to time..

How and when is a check made to see if the amount still exists or has dropped below for a while.

OFFICER WAS NOT SURE IF THIS COULD BE IN A TERM DEPOSIT ACCOUNT OR NOT.

He is going to check for me??!!

Is this how the process works? Apply for tourist visa from outside of Thailand. Extend at immigration office in Thailand for 1 year, never having to leave the country and being able to fly in and out as I please

Which bank is best for this? Am not on any visa so not sure they would allow me to open account.

In order to get an extension of stay you must first have your parenthood legitimized you name on the birth certificate is not enough. See  How To Gain Parental Rights As A Father

With your name on the birth certificate you can get a single entry non-o visas and 60 day extensions at immigration to visit your child.

After having the legitimization in order to get the extension you would first have a non-o visa. Or if you had a tourist visa you could apply for a change of visa status to get a non immigrant visa entry at immigration in Bangkok.and then apply for the extension.

If you are already here you could go to Vientiane and get a single entry non-o visa and extend the 90 day from it for 60 days to give you time to get the legitimization done.

You can open a bank account without a visa. You just would have try different banks and branches.

• Like 1

In order to get an extension of stay you must first have your parenthood legitimized you name on the birth certificate is not enough. See  How To Gain Parental Rights As A Father
With your name on the birth certificate you can get a single entry non-o visas and 60 day extensions at immigration to visit your child.
After having the legitimization in order to get the extension you would first have a non-o visa. Or if you had a tourist visa you could apply for a change of visa status to get a non immigrant visa entry at immigration in Bangkok.and then apply for the extension.
If you are already here you could go to Vientiane and get a single entry non-o visa and extend the 90 day from it for 60 days to give you time to get the legitimization done.
You can open a bank account without a visa. You just would have try different banks and branches.

is there an age limit? for instance if my kid was 21 would i still be able to get a visa/extension?

or is that it, kid grown up, i go home?

is there an age limit? for instance if my kid was 21 would i still be able to get a visa/extension?

or is that it, kid grown up, i go home?

There is no age limit.

I'm sorry but I'm very confused now.

The monthly income OR 400kB on a bank account condition is still available for extension ?

There are no changes. It is still 40k baht income or 400k baht in the bank.

A friend of mine is about to apply for his first marriage extension, using income as an employee. I see many posts on TV describing what looks to me a company owner applying. Can anyone please confirm the documents req'd if you are employed?

My understanding is the following:

Work permit.

Tax receipts (previous 3) for minimum 40k/month.

Letter from employer confirming employment and position, stating salary. English okay?

I use the money in the bank option so happy with the other requirements...

Thanks wai.gif

Edited by ParadiseLost

The rules for extensions of stay has not changed.

The embassy in London does a multiple entry non-o based upon marriage with no financial proof needed. You can apply in person or by post. 

Cheers Joe. I was in touch with Glasgow yesterday. I'll have a brand new second passport for the visa. My other one is a mess with all sort of visas and 3 years worth of 28/28's. If i do get questioned on the 19th when i'm next in i'll not metion my Mrs and kid. I have my work contract and will point to my Kazak Visa if they question me

Your in the computer Franky,so new passport wont do it for you.Maybe they wont look at the screen,but i wouldnt bet on it.

Your in the computer Franky,so new passport wont do it for you.Maybe they wont look at the screen,but i wouldnt bet on it.

It's not like they don't look. They would have to pull up another application/screen and do an explicit search, perhaps on a specifically enabled terminal. That is why a new passport is indicated for certain cases.

With regard to dividend income for the retirement extension, what kind of evidence immigration will ask for? 

A friend of mine is about to apply for his first marriage extension, using income as an employee. I see many posts on TV describing what looks to me a company owner applying. Can anyone please confirm the documents req'd if you are employed?

My understanding is the following:

Work permit.

Tax receipts (previous 3) for minimum 40k/month.

Letter from employer confirming employment and position, stating salary. English okay?

I use the money in the bank option so happy with the other requirements...

Thanks wai.gif

Varies from area to area, in my area (Phuket) it's all the usual Thai spouse papers plus:

Current Work Permit, PND 91 (annual tax return for previous year), most recent PND 1 (company monthly salary tax return showing your monthly income), Company Registration details from Department of Commerce (Company Affadavit).