Can I go to Vientiane to get a new tv or not?

Hi all, British guy here..

Been reading this, http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/No-more-visa-runs-30238504.html

I don't know if you guys have seen this, it's left me a little confused.

Will I be able to stay in Vientiane a few days and get a new double entry tourist visa or not?

Seems like people can't from the 13th of August.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

It sure sounds to me like they are going to be targeting people using back to back tourist visas repeatedly as well.  We will find out for sure in a few says when people start reporting.

There was an article posted on here just a few weeks ago concerning how Thai Embassies abroad have received no guidance on issuing tourist visas in regards to the so called "crackdown".  Bottom line is that you will probably be able to acquire a tourist visa somewhere (including Laos), but as always, it is going to be up to the individual immigration officer whether or not you make it through to Thailand.  If your passport is filled with back to back tourist visas and the immigration officer thinks you are working here, you are probably going to have problems getting back in.  I suspect we will see more of this soon.

You can get a tourist visa and use it.

That article is about visa exempt entries not tourist visas.

The 12th is not going to mean anything for getting tourist visas.

???

It says right here.

"The Immigration Bureau has already instructed officials to deny entry to foreigners doing visa runs as a measure to stop the exploitation of tourist visas and visa exemptions to live or work here."

???

It says right here.

"The Immigration Bureau has already instructed officials to deny entry to foreigners doing visa runs as a measure to stop the exploitation of tourist visas and visa exemptions to live or work here."

The only thing that has been officially announced is to do with visa exempt entries, They are not going to stop tourist visa issuance and entries. That would certainly slam the door for legitimate tourists.

Ubonjoe my tourist visa expires Aug 23rd and because of the Aug 12th changes I went to Nong Khai immigration yesterday to ask if it would be possible to change from my tourist to non imm o although I'm not 50 until April ( I've heard some people say they got one 6 months early ) . They told me it was not possible and I would not be able to get another tourist visa in Laos and that I should return to the UK

???

It says right here.

The only thing that has been officially announced is to do with visa exempt entries, They are not going to stop tourist visa issuance and entries. That would certainly slam the door for legitimate tourists.

If your passport is filled with Visas on arrival and you continuously stayed here, you may have trouble gaining entry to Thailand. Try getting a new passport at your embassy if the old one is filled or about to expire. Then go to Vientiane and get a double entry tourist Visa. Could be good for 6 months. 

Thanks guys n gals.

This will be my first time getting another tourist visa for Thailand so hopefully they won't refuse my entry back in..

Still, bit of a concern. There's so much grey area.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand Edited by picklez01

I still have 6 weeks til I need to go Vientiane (provided my 30 day extension is granted without any problems).

My return flight has been and gone, so it's another concern I have. Apparently you don't need to show your flight for a 30 day stamp though.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand Edited by picklez01

I still have 6 weeks til I need to go Vientiane (provided my 30 day extension is granted without any problems).

My return flight has been and gone, so it's another concern I have. Apparently you don't need to show your flight for a 30 day stamp though.

How long are you planning to stay here? Because there will be a limit.

I have had 1 double entry tourist visa, I'll get 1 more double entry tourist visa it I can. A maximum of 1 year. Im not sure when I'll leave. I have relatives here and I like staying with them (not biological family, step mum's family)

The article clearly state 60 days tourist visas and 30 days visa exemptions

Ubonjoe is correct.

Fact is, who has a visa, doesn't have a problem.

Ubonjoe is correct.

He didn't say the same thing as you.

He is not correct when saying "that article is about visa exempt entries and not tourist visas"

The article clearly say 60 days tourist visas. 

Edited by bangkoklasse
  • Like 1

Ubonjoe is correct.

He is not correct when saying "that article is about visa exempt entries and not tourist visas"

The article clearly say 60 days tourist visas. 

Thing that doesn't detract from the fact that the correct advice from ubonjoe to OP is that he won't have a problem.

Then if you like to keep quibbling on articles, enjoy yourself.

My reply was to the article. And Joe's also when saying the Nation wrote only about visa exemptions. What you say has nothing to do with the article. And Joe also wrote a different answer later.

If you can or can not get or use back to back visas has nothing to do with my reply

Edited by bangkoklasse
  • Like 1

???

It says right here.

Yes that's what the article say. I have been reading the same thing in Facebooks expat forum with a similar link

Back to the OP; it is all about your visa entry and/or visa-exempt entry HISTORY as evidenced in your passport.

If the OP only has the one double-entry TR visa in his passport, then there should be no problem getting another double-entry TR visa in Vientiane.

Having said that, the visa does not guarantee entry to Thailand and depending on the Immigration guy letting you back in at Nongkhai, he may ask questions about your intent as you have already had an extension on the first visa.

Although the current rules say return/onward ticketing IS needed for a visa-exempt entry, the OP is taking a chance of being further delayed at Nongkhai if the Immigration guy asks to see it. Regardless of not being a written requirement for visa-enabled entry, it may be an issue with the Immigration guy. The reasoning is BECAUSE HE CAN.

And the OP has stated that he likes it here and is not sure when he will be leaving. That may well be the truth but once again, the Immigration guy may not like that as it doesn't look like a tourist as he interprets it on that day. Better to have proof of onward travel (cheap and/or refundable outward airticket) and some 'best guess' dates when you do plan to leave. You could say you would be leaving after Loy Kathong as that gives each of you a easy reference; don't all genuine tourists stay for that?

The OP has a few weeks remaining before the trip for the new visa so keep checking the threads as it is pretty dynamic and although the horror stories seem to be limited to southern border crossings, that's no reason to assume that Nongkhai will remain a walk in the park. Not scaremongering, just be like a good boy scout and be prepared.

There are not even anymore horror stories coming from the south. 

Who has a visa doesn't have a problem, it's as simple as that.

Many words saying otherwise is just wasting time for writers and readers alike.

Read this from TV's own hallowed pages. The headline is:

"Tourist visa holders denied entry to Thailand and left stranded in Malaysia."

...and one of TV's more immigration matter qualified mods comment in the same thread here

'There is this line to go with it "All of the foreigners who were denied entry had a previous history of multiple visa exempt entries or back to back tourist visas."'

The link and article is about tourist visas and visa exemptions after Aug 13. How can there be any reports before that date. Either you didn't read the link, or you didn't got it.