Thai Interior Ministry: Exemption of visa fees considered for European tourists

webfact

IMMIGRATION
Exemption of visa fees considered for European tourists

BANGKOK: -- Tourism Ministry is considering a proposal to exempt visa fees for visitors from European countries, said permanent secretary for interior Wiboon Sa-nguanpoing on Thursday.

The ministry has floated the idea with priviate sector on the possibility to do so, he said.

Referring to the exemption fee for visitors from China and Taiwan, Wiboon said the issue had got approval from the junta and will be effective when the junta’s chief signed the order.

When signed, the exemption will be in place for three months.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Exemption-of-visa-fees-considered-for-European-tou-30240466.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-08-07

• Like 2

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TAT - If you want to attract more quality tourists, it is simple - CLARIFY the maximum number of days in a year you consider it okay for a person of any nationality to be a TOURIST.

Forget about freebies - do you want quality tourists who are excited and make their travel arrangements based on the fact they do not have to pay?

Okay?

^^^THIS^^^

Just say you can only be in Thailand for 180 days in a 1 year period as a tourist.

Maybe they should do it on a reciprocal basis, how may Brits would pay $142USD to visit Thailand? and provide proof of intent to return, income, where they stay, and if your application is turned down because some one in a back room thinks you maybe a sex tourist you do not even get the $142 returned?

• Like 1

Maybe they should do it on a reciprocal basis, how may Brits would pay $142USD to visit Thailand? and provide proof of intent to return, income, where they stay, and if your application is turned down because some one in a back room thinks you maybe a sex tourist you do not even get the $142 returned?

But Thailand needs British tourists more than Britain needs Thai tourists. How many Thais actually go to Britain as tourists ??

:)

I don't understand the idea of free visas to boost tourism. Why should someone come for holiday in a country just because you don't have to pay 35 USD for a visa? I mean if I have to decide to do holiday in Thailand or in Vietnam will would I say "Ohh if I go to Thailand I would save 35 bucks now. So lets go to Thailand."

Agreed! Although it looks good for thais talking about it the reality is that it might work as a good ploy for other asian countries to come here but a european travelling is not going to base their decision to travel here on measley 35 dollars.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's not a new idea -- they did free tourist visas a few years ago for a year or so. Not sure if there are any figures to show the effect, but it's a feel-good thing. The reality is that if someone is factoring in the visa fee as a major item in their travel budget they maybe need to re-consider their plans altogether. ;)