What's the stingiest thing you've seen someone do in Thailand

neverdie

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last week we were going into the CM Airport mall....there was a guy older than me with a nice looking gal in her 20's walking out......he stopped me and asked if I knew where he could get a suit to wear for one day to get married in stating that they were all too small and he didn't want to spend money to have a suit made (I'm 6'4" 240#) he was about 6'2" and portly.....I got the distinct impression he wished to borrow a suit from me to get married in......

I wished them good luck and we continued on our way......

I couldn't help but feel badly for the gal - a big day in her life and the guy wanted to borrow a suit from a stranger instead of pay 2000-5000B to look good on "their" special day......

It kind of gave me a glimce of their (her) future.....

Edited by pgrahmm

Last week we were going into the CM Airport mall....there was a guy older than me with a nice looking gal in her 20's walking out......he stopped me and asked if I knew where he could get a suit to wear for one day to get married in stating that they were all too small and he didn't want to spend money to have a suit made (I'm 6'4" 240#) he was about 6'2" and portly.....I got the distinct impression he wished to borrow a suit from me to get married in......

I couldn't help but feel badly for the gal - a big day in her life and the guy wanted to borrow a suit from a stranger instead of pay 2000-5000B to look good on "their" special day......

Well. If you had thought more about it and possible asked your wife. She may have been able to tell the guy to go to the local wedding shop and hire one for 1,500b or so.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well. If you had thought more about it and possible asked your wife. She may have been able to tell the guy to go to the local wedding shop and hire one for 1,500b or so.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks CB - I did not know they have such a thing here....my wife didn't either - I guess the poor guy just picked the wrong people to ask.....when approached or asked - regardless of by who I try to give an earnest answer....he specifically mentioned he didn't want to spend around 2000B so maybe he had the answer all along to his question.....

I guess we live a sheltered life.....

• Like 1

The stingiest thing I've ever seen in Thailand happened in Carl's Junior at Mega Bang Na. The restaurant had a sign outside offering free soft drinks. Now, that type of marketing works well in most western countries such as the U.S. because who's just going to have a drink, right?
Well, in walked a group of about ten Russian tourists. They each got their cup and walked over to the soda fountain. Not one person made a purchase. It was funny because right afterwards, an employee went outside and brought the sign in.

Used to know an american who used to frequent BigC in pattaya which was then known as carrefour,he would take a wad of tissue for his toilet needs at home and would also fill up his empty water bottle within the seated area for food.

Add to this if a bar didnt have a convenience he wouldn't pay the 5 baht to the nearest mafia ran toilet he would just excuse himself with the remark that he would go find a friendly tree,Now this cheap charlie had about 50 million baht in the us.

My father's uncle used spit to wash his face because soap was too expensive. He was a multi millionaire in US$. He owned 2 houses on the beach on balboa peninsula.

Accumulating money is what he enjoyed doing until he died.

To save water, I don't wash condoms before reusing them.

Even your own?

fancy wasting a condom, any 7-11 will give you unlimited plastic bags.

Yeah, but you have to hold them on with a rubber band -and you know how sheep's tails are docked in NZ, don't you? A tight rubber band around the tail to cut off blood supply until the tail rots and drops off.

i doubt any members here would have the endurance for that to happen although the same applied round the neck could be beneficial?

• Like 1

I was sitting in a bar and the guy a couple of seats away asked to borrow my lighter, I passed it across, he lit his cigarette said thanks and returned it.

On the bar next to his drink I noticed a lighter, I asked him "Does it not work, because they sell lighters here", I was only trying to helpful.

"Yes, it works but its running low on gas" he said

I paid and left before I said what was on my mind and of course before he asked to borrow my lighter again.

• Like 1

A old thread in Chiang Mai warned us to look for a "Tight Fisted farang!" who is "balding on the top". This silver surfer reportedly stayed in a cafe too long using free wifi, but not purchasing enough drinks and cakes to satisfy the outrage of the OP.

Edited by arunsakda

The two worst things I've heard of are the self confessed cheap charlies on TV that recently scorned the 7/11 staff for not giving the right number of stamps, or getting screwed for 0.25 satang.

Other than that, there's always JT for getting punched for the sake of 10B baht bus ride. coffee1.gif

For me this is very funny early post. I was pleased to see it. As soon as I read the thread topic I recalled some guy on TV wanting to know how to contact 7/11 corporate to get someone fired because they tried to rip him off for some of those tingtong stamps. When pressed, incredulously, by other TV posters, he defended himself by insisting it was worth 9 Baht (something like that). I hope we were successful in persuading him not to get someone fired for a few stamps. I remain uncertain what shocked me more, that a grown man could not navigate this issue or remained so dull that he had no humiliation in posting it to posterity.

• Like 1

If one is IN CHARGE, of the TGAU corporation finances, has to be stingy to a certain extend.

Can't let irresponsible people, like the OP and certain other minor members of the board to spend the corporation money on self indulgent, treating the bar girls, the ladyboys, and wasting the money on alcohol.

I do maintain a strict regime here and whoever doesn't abide, will be thrown back to the gutter where they came from in the first place.

I once knew a farang that thought he belonged to a company, even inventing himself a fancy position and title......he'd run around stating this and that & would even berate other company employees who would run and lock the doors to the company premises when they saw him approaching.

He was as mad as a two bob watch but amusing to watch.

Some believe his TGAU was several sizes too large or stuck in position for some other reason affecting his brain.

Poor sod. :)

• Like 1

Poor old Costas, something has obviously got stuck in his TGAU

It maybe a kitten. He's been trying to get rid of his cats for a while.

One never really knows with Costas - he's probably trying to milk the cats as well

• Like 1

Poor old Costas, something has obviously got stuck in his TGAU

It maybe a kitten. He's been trying to get rid of his cats for a while.

One never really knows with Costas - he's probably trying to milk the cats as well

Yeah you never know with Mr. Costas the cat could have been chasing a gerbil.