Retirement visa and new passport

Hi.....I recently renewed my 1 year extension or retirement visa as I call it and also obtained a single entry re-entry visa as I will be visiting family back in the UK later this year (for about 4 months). My passport expires early in 2025 so I was thinking about renewing my UK passport while I was back in the UK as it is a little bit easier than having to go Bangkok etc. My retirement visa is stamped until 31st January 2025.....

I have a few  questions regarding this, please bear with me if I ramble on a little bit, thanks.

My first question is: If I do renew my UK passport will I be allowed to enter Thailand with my new passport and still use my retirement visa and re-entry visa which will then be stamped in my old passport. I did briefly ask the guy who did the retirement visa and he said it should be ok, but I just wondered if any of our members had actual experience of doing this?

2nd question: If I do get back into Thailand ok with visas and both passports, will I have to transfer my retirement visa over from my old passport to the new one or will I be able to just renew it when it's due and have the new one stamped in my new UK passport?

and 3rd question:  After I return back into Thailand and do have a new UK passport with me, when my 90 day report is due (usually I do it online),...... will I have to do the first 90 day report in person then afterwards can I continue submitting it online as usual?

many thanks in advance for any advice on this topic and apologies again for any confusion I may cause in my questions.

1. yes, ur re entry permit is valid<( till Jan 25th)  you will be stamped in on new passport>
2. you need transfer some stamps an such to new passport, just take both to the immigration where ur extension was issued>  and this form,  #22, https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=3202
visas per say are NOT transferred>
3. 1st time in person on new passport than online

Edited by zzzzz
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

1. yes, ur re entry permit is valid<( till Jan 25th)  you will be stamped in on new passport>

I would advise double checking that as you have no extension of stay in new passport to allow such a re-entry.  A visa is valid from old passport but not sure extension of stay re-entry permit would be as the required documentation is not already in valid passport (original visa information and the extension of stay from it).  Unless positive would just get the passport here.

1 hour ago, twozeds said:

over from my old passport to the new one or will I be able to just renew it when it's due and have the new one stamped in my new UK passport?

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but your extension ends when your passport does. you only need to transfer the stamps when applying for your extension they have no idea when you received a new passport.

Edited by brianthainess

48 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

One option is to wait till your window for 90 day report opens after return and do the TM47 and transfer of stamps on same visit.

Don't forget to update things such as bank account passport details. 

Also don't forget a photo of your new PP on your phone. 

11 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Unless positive would just get the passport here.

The OP would enter Thailand with valid reentry permit in old passport and will be given stamp till date same as on reentry permit. 

Just now, DrJack54 said:

The OP would enter Thailand with valid reentry permit in old passport and will be given stamp till date same as on reentry permit. 

There is nothing in the new passport to extend is my take (until transfer of original visa information and current extension of stay is made) - a visa entry does not require paperwork in new passport but expect re-entry could.

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

There is nothing in the new passport to extend is my take (until transfer of original visa information and current extension of stay is made) - a visa entry does not require paperwork in new passport but expect re-entry could.

Nup.

He will be given an "admitted till" date according to his reentry permit in old passport. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, twozeds said:

thanks for all your speedy replies much appreciated.....but Im still a little confused which stamps I would have to transfer from old passport to new one

Just take it to your local Immigration Office and they will know.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, twozeds said:

2nd question: If I do get back into Thailand ok with visas and both passports, will I have to transfer my retirement visa over from my old passport to the new one or will I be able to just renew it when it's due and have the new one stamped in my new UK passport?

Better to do this sooner rather than later IMHO. In addition to your old and new passports your local immigration office will probably require from you copies of (1) the photopages from both passports, and (2) the pages containing stamps/visas from your old one, together with the following form duly completed:

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/22.Transfer-Stamp-to-New-Passport-Form.pdf

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Unless positive would just get the passport here.

Easier said than done in practice for us Brits, thanks to the cumbersomely bureaucratic passport renewal procedures which have been inflicted on us locally in their infinite wisdom by His Majesty's Passport Office (HMPO) back in the UK - and, which, as alluded to by the OP, require, among other things, a couple of physical trips to offices located in Bangkok or Chiang Mai (particularly awkward and time-consuming for those of us who don't live within a stone's throw of either of those cities), firstly, to submit paper applications in person and, secondly, several weeks later to collect our new passports once HMPO have seen fit to issue them.

On the other hand, if the OP were to renew his passport while in the UK, he would be able to do so using HMPO's online facility - an option which is denied to those of us renewing from Thailand for some ridiculous reason!

Edited by OJAS
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, OJAS said:

(2) the pages containing stamps/visas from your old one

@twozeds - plus the page containing your latest permission to stay stamp from your new one, of course (cannot now edit my previous posting).

Edited by OJAS
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

I would advise double checking that as you have no extension of stay in new passport to allow such a re-entry.  A visa is valid from old passport but not sure extension of stay re-entry permit would be as the required documentation is not already in valid passport (original visa information and the extension of stay from it).  Unless positive would just get the passport here.

An extension and re-entry permit do not cease when you obtain a new passport.
You just present both passports to Immigration.

I had an extension and re-entry permit valid until July 10th 2023.
My old passport expired 10th August 2023.

I obtained a new passport whilst on a visit to the UK in May/June 2023.

On re-entry to Thailand, I just presented both passports at Immigration and received an entry stamp dated July 10th in my new passport.

I later took both passports to my local IO to have the stamps transferred.

As @DrJack54 importantly pointed out, you should also advise your bank of the new passport details.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

An extension and re-entry permit do not cease when you obtain a new passport.
You just present both passports to Immigration.

I had an extension and re-entry permit valid until July 10th 2023.
My old passport expired 10th August 2023.

I obtained a new passport whilst on a visit to the UK in May/June 2023.

On re-entry to Thailand, I just presented both passports at Immigration and received an entry stamp dated July 10th in my new passport.

I later took both passports to my local IO to have the stamps transferred.

As @DrJack54 importantly pointed out, you should also advise your bank of the new passport details.

Thanks - that was what I wanted OP to have - a real experience.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

re entry permit is valid in new passport till it expires when accompanied with old passport showing the r entry permit and visa/extension. 
Personal experience not he said, she said

also any other visa (s) you hold in old passport ( like a 10 year Indian visa) are still valid as well

FYI:
IF and only if u want be 1,000% right on, go to the motor vehicle dept (as well as your bank) and get new license as well as ur passport # is on the license 🙂
I have never bothered till i do new licenses> 
Inform Big C too, villa, tops>>>>>>if u have member card

Edited by zzzzz
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, zzzzz said:

3. 1st time in person on new passport than online

People like you say this but I entered with my new and old passport with a re entry permit in my old passport, in late September. I changed the retirement extension stamps over at immigration in October. My 90 day report was successfully completed online using my new passport details when it was due in December. No mention of completing a new TM30 either. Jomtien immigration.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, twozeds said:

My first question is: If I do renew my UK passport will I be allowed to enter Thailand with my new passport and still use my retirement visa and re-entry visa which will then be stamped in my old passport. I did briefly ask the guy who did the retirement visa and he said it should be ok, but I just wondered if any of our members had actual experience of doing this?

When a passport is cancelled, the stamp will say: "CANCELLED. Valid visas are still valid" or something like that. Show both passports on re-entry, as your extension of stay and your re-entry permit are in the old passport.

Remember to update everywhere your passport number is used for verification, for example: Bank accounts, driver's license (you'll need to change to a new with same expiry date), certain loyalty cards, etc. You'll need to bring both passports, if you have not yet transferred your original visa from old passport to new passport; when doing that your old passport number will be written together with the visa rubber-stamp.

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

When a passport is cancelled, the stamp will say: "CANCELLED. Valid visas are still valid" or something like that

No such stamp is affixed to cancelled British passports. Instead cancellation is merely denoted by the top and bottom corners of the front cover being snipped off with a pair of scissors. Essential for @twozeds to ensure that this is done to his existing passport after renewal in the UK but before presentation with his new passport to IMM at BKK Arrivals upon his return.

Edited by OJAS

10 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Thanks - that was what I wanted OP to have - a real experience.

And, boy, his experience would be truly "real" were he to renew his passport here in Thailand, believe you me! Can vouch for this on the basis of my own encounter with the ghastly UK passport renewal procedures from Thailand at the back end of 2022!!

11 hours ago, OJAS said:

And, boy, his experience would be truly "real" were he to renew his passport here in Thailand, believe you me! Can vouch for this on the basis of my own encounter with the ghastly UK passport renewal procedures from Thailand at the back end of 2022!!

My meaning was poster advised having received new passport in UK and on arrival Thai immigration accepted re-entry permit as they would a visa and entered stay in new passport.  As this is not the same as a multi entry visa was concerned immigration might require visa/extension information in new passport (as is the requirement inside Thailand) prior to placing any new stamps in it.

On 2/13/2024 at 8:59 PM, twozeds said:

thanks for all your speedy replies much appreciated.....but Im still a little confused which stamps I would have to transfer from old passport to new one

You don't actually need to transfer anything.  You will have an entry stamp in new passport with permission to stay based on current extension and assuming re-entry is single, that will have expired.

When you go for next extension just take old passport to provide copy of previous extension stamp.

I got new passport in UK in Sept, very easy. I came back on new visa and new passport and just went along at the end of the visa 90 days, no problem, they even accepted my TM30 from 2015.

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You don't actually need to transfer anything.  You will have an entry stamp in new passport with permission to stay based on current extension and assuming re-entry is single, that will have expired.

When you go for next extension just take old passport to provide copy of previous extension stamp.

I got new passport in UK in Sept, very easy. I came back on new visa and new passport and just went along at the end of the visa 90 days, no problem, they even accepted my TM30 from 2015.

AFAIK they will not provide a new extension of stay without transfer of original visa information and last extension of stay information into the new passport.  Although they may do in one sitting.

15 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

AFAIK they will not provide a new extension of stay without transfer of original visa information and last extension of stay information into the new passport.  Although they may do in one sitting.

Is that another "real" experience?

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Yes it is.

First time I have ever heard that, but there is always the office variable.

Having done it you could explain what "original visa information" was transferred, unless of course you are referring to a new passport obtained within the country, rather than entering with a new passport.

Subtle difference.

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Having done it you could explain what "original visa information" was transferred, unless of course you are referring to a new passport obtained within the country, rather than entering with a new passport.

Subtle difference.

Original visa is the one on which the first extension is based

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

Subtle difference.

I am referring to a new passport obtained within the country - which with the requirement to have transfer made prior to any new immigration stamps was my concern with a passport obtained outside Thailand - you advised no issue using re-entry so that eased concern (that he might return and not be allowed entry on extension of stay) - but expect a notation of original visa entry information and last extension information will be required at some point, just as it is for replacement passports issued in Thailand.