Have We All Just Settled For Second Best?

bowerboy

Sometimes I really fancy a walk in the rain along a trail path with great countryside views and that doesn't have snakes. The countryside here looks great, but it's too hot to explore it here and I wouldn't really know where to go from where we live. A few more " friends " would be nice, but that is developing - I don't mean bar flies just to chew the fat with. Some of my memories of UK are very good, but recent trips back there have proved to be a disappointment, other than seeing the family and a few old mates. Yes I do miss it - sometimes- but when I am there I can't wait to get back here.......and when I am here I only miss UK a few times !
Make of that what you will.
Maybe another 10 years of hard work and I may be able to have 2nd home outside of Thailand - not sure where that would be though.

I like walking in Khao Yai at times, but I dont worry that much about snakes. 

But thing is I like living near Bangkok because of the convienience of getting all you need. But there are far more natural places out there but then you get bored as there is nothing else. This is a big country and going somewhere cost more time and effort as back home (im from the Netherlands real small country). Now if i want to move out of Bangkok it is a bit of a trip. 

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes I really fancy a walk in the rain along a trail path with great countryside views and that doesn't have snakes. The countryside here looks great, but it's too hot to explore it here and I wouldn't really know where to go from where we live. A few more " friends " would be nice, but that is developing - I don't mean bar flies just to chew the fat with. Some of my memories of UK are very good, but recent trips back there have proved to be a disappointment, other than seeing the family and a few old mates. Yes I do miss it - sometimes- but when I am there I can't wait to get back here.......and when I am here I only miss UK a few times !
Maybe another 10 years of hard work and I may be able to have 2nd home outside of Thailand - not sure where that would be though.

But thing is I like living near Bangkok because of the convienience of getting all you need. But there are far more natural places out there but then you get bored as there is nothing else. This is a big country and going somewhere cost more time and effort as back home (im from the Netherlands real small country). Now if i want to move out of Bangkok it is a bit of a trip. 

The more I think of it, the clearer the answer becomes. When I am in Thailand I have a lower cost base than when in UK and that allows me more freedom. The problem is I don't maximize that freedom because I am not used to having it. I could actually condense my weekly commitments to generating an income to just 3 or 4 days per week, which would then leave long weekends to do something different and explore different parts of the country. A few extra tanks of diesel per year and some reasonably priced hotel accommodation wouldn't break the bank - but it would give me scope to explore Thailand and a sense of satisfaction by doing so. I could never have really done that in UK, too many restrictions and commitments, plus the cost base would not allow it.
I'm gonna get on wi that idea !

That is funny when I came here i thought I was going to work less and make less money. Now I am working more and making more money as back home. But I like my work but like you I don't use my time good enough there is so much to see in Thailand and I got a big bike and car and I still did not do any big tours on the big bike. Problem is when I have the most work is when the climate is best here and when the work becomes less its rainy season here.

For the most part, i find people in the west more miserable than people here.

And the streets ain't clean in Glasgow.  When my family comes to visit they all comment on just how clean the place is.

Good healthcare, well i dunno, the NHS sometimes can leave a lot to be desired i think and there's nothing you can do about it cos it's free.  My uncle had pneumonia twice in one year, hid GP was adamant nothing was wrong, just kept sending him away.  My aunt is a nurse and had to beg (literally) for blood tests and a scan.  They got it in the end.  He had cancer.

Good schools?  I dunno, i had some pretty crappy teachers, unprofessional teachers, lazy teachers.  The catholic schools i went to ran on fear.  Primary school was the worst.

My missus contributes what she can and is very thrifty.  She is much milder mannered and dutiful than my western ex.  Not to mention, she is much prettier (even at 37) than my ex was (even at 18) haha.

My lifestyle is generally healthier here.  It is safer than Glasgow.

Life is more interesting here and i have been able to provide more for my child here than i could in the UK.  Everyone i know from back there is struggling to keep their head above water.  Even my cousin who is a school teacher lost her car and had to get a second job.  I could save more money here teaching ELS than her.

House in my Thai partners name..yeah..yeah.but my daughter will get it in the end.

And if you are single, this place is heaven.  The west is as dry as a newspaper.  The woman too stuck up for any fun.

Are you trying to say that you have left Mary Doll back in Shawlands....

The more I think of it, the clearer the answer becomes. When I am in Thailand I have a lower cost base than when in UK and that allows me more freedom. The problem is I don't maximize that freedom because I am not used to having it. I could actually condense my weekly commitments to generating an income to just 3 or 4 days per week, which would then leave long weekends to do something different and explore different parts of the country. A few extra tanks of diesel per year and some reasonably priced hotel accommodation wouldn't break the bank - but it would give me scope to explore Thailand and a sense of satisfaction by doing so. I could never have really done that in UK, too many restrictions and commitments, plus the cost base would not allow it.
I'm gonna get on wi that idea !

That is funny when I came here i thought I was going to work less and make less money. Now I am working more and making more money as back home. But I like my work but like you I don't use my time good enough there is so much to see in Thailand and I got a big bike and car and I still did not do any big tours on the big bike. Problem is when I have the most work is when the climate is best here and when the work becomes less its rainy season here.

I can ditto most of what you are saying, but I don't have a big bike - not yet anyway ! As long as I can connect to an internet signal I can actually do what work I need to do.... At least for a few weeks anyway!
Traveling doesn't mean that everything else has to stop - it's time for me to do some of the things I said I was going to do before I got bogged down with nonsense things again, filling the time gaps with UK mentality chores that don't actually need me to do them - here !

For the most part, i find people in the west more miserable than people here.

And the streets ain't clean in Glasgow.  When my family comes to visit they all comment on just how clean the place is.

Good healthcare, well i dunno, the NHS sometimes can leave a lot to be desired i think and there's nothing you can do about it cos it's free.  My uncle had pneumonia twice in one year, hid GP was adamant nothing was wrong, just kept sending him away.  My aunt is a nurse and had to beg (literally) for blood tests and a scan.  They got it in the end.  He had cancer.

Good schools?  I dunno, i had some pretty crappy teachers, unprofessional teachers, lazy teachers.  The catholic schools i went to ran on fear.  Primary school was the worst.

My missus contributes what she can and is very thrifty.  She is much milder mannered and dutiful than my western ex.  Not to mention, she is much prettier (even at 37) than my ex was (even at 18) haha.

My lifestyle is generally healthier here.  It is safer than Glasgow.

Life is more interesting here and i have been able to provide more for my child here than i could in the UK.  Everyone i know from back there is struggling to keep their head above water.  Even my cousin who is a school teacher lost her car and had to get a second job.  I could save more money here teaching ELS than her.

House in my Thai partners name..yeah..yeah.but my daughter will get it in the end.

And if you are single, this place is heaven.  The west is as dry as a newspaper.  The woman too stuck up for any fun.

Some good points there but.

I haven't lived in Glasgow since I was in kid. It was one of the 'posh' parts, Bishopbriggs, which surely isn't posh anymore. Still remember the bigotry there - the first question everyone asked us was  "what school do they(the kids) go to, which translated means are you Celtic or Rangers.

The last time I was there at a T in the park, the aggression I felt in the crowd was huge. I agree, it is much safer here, despite all the crime. In  Glasgow, you could get your face slashed whilst waiting for a bus by a bunch of 13 year olds. Leith  -  constant harassment by junkies and Begbie wannabes.  I should remember that when the next group of techie students shout something. When I walk down the road here at midnight, I don't have to cross the road every 2 minutes to avoid crowds of neds.

Likewise, many of my friends are struggling to keep their heads above water, even rich people like my brother who 'owns' lots of property says he cleans the toilets in his Gorbals pub by himself at 7am and even my oil mates who work 6 days a week, 14 hours a day getting 45 quid an hour. They have to justify their stressful lives by buying Betleys and houses for 1/2 million quid. 

I get asked all the time to teach English for pretty 15-20 quid an hour. I could do a hellavaot more with my 2 hours or 40 quid than my buddies could with their 90 quid. Plus they wouldn't have pretty Uni girls in sexy outfits flirting with them!

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

Interesting topic.
The clincher for me was schools and viewing what local business considered progress.

The plan to build 3000 apartment rooms in the space of 1sq km along with 2 shopping malls thus reducing the main drag of town to the equivalent of Sukhumvit on Friday night was the end.

Times change and I am back in blighty looking forward to week in France camping. Thailand isn't second best its just one of a list of many options. I am worried where it will go in the next 10 years economically and politically.

Its not as though its been stable for the last 10, so for the sake of the kids it was time to move on. Maybe come back someday, but its a big wide world out there. Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Whats the attraction to said country?Foreign scientists have been  invited to Thailand find  a cure for ebola come on people.After reading al the reactions on the new visa hassle regulations i can only conclude about the people who burnt their bridges with home and are now getting their so called welcome shoved up their @rse.

I still have to find articals in the press or on the net where the biggest moguls of science and industry from the west have made thailand their home.

If the biggest moguls of science and industry made Thailand their home, it would make absolutely no difference to my life here.

Still, there weren't many in Belfast before I left, so perhaps I am missing something........................coffee1.gif

• Like 1

this post brought back an apocalyptic flashback

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0002963/quotes

Willard: .......When I was here, I wanted to be there; when I was there, all I could think of was getting back into the jungle. I'm here a week now... waiting for a mission... getting softer. Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger. Each time I looked around the walls moved in a little tighter

the horror, the horror.......

• Like 2

My first long-term stays in Thailand were because and NGO under Royal Patronage asked me to assist and stay with them. Then I just decided one trip to stay here with or without them. I  already had rudiments of the language down from previous trips. So I'm not sure that I settled for anything.

Why other people other than the ones who ended up here for work-related reasons I have no definite clue.

If you made something of youre life you would not be living in Thailand the only draw to said country is the availability of cheap and easy pussy and thats it.

rubbish,

i earn more now then i did when i was in the uk.

there are very many people living here who have made a success of there lives,

Rubbish you still make youre money outside of Thailand in the offshore bussiness  so youre not the new Donald Trump who made his millions in Thailand by pig farming witch is a prohibited job for foreigners.

Very ture. Also pigeon jake just because your friends say they would love to have your life to your face its not always what they really mean or what they are saying when your not there. Its called being polite.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 1

My first long-term stays in Thailand were because and NGO under Royal Patronage asked me to assist and stay with them. Then I just decided one trip to stay here with or without them. I  already had rudiments of the language down from previous trips. So I'm not sure that I settled for anything.

Why other people other than the ones who ended up here for work-related reasons I have no definite clue.

I came here initially for the cheap booze and over the counter medicines. Cheap women were a bonus.

Also liked taking time off for meditation retreats and lying on tropical beaches. Live and let live. 

• Like 1